Start by marking “The Kissing Hand” as Want to Read:
The Kissing Hand

The Kissing Hand

(Chester the Raccoon #1)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  56,804 ratings  ·  1,611 reviews
School is starting in the forest, but Chester Raccoon does not want to go. To help ease Chester's fears, Mrs. Raccoon shares a family secret called the Kissing Hand to give him the reassurance of her love any time his world feels a little scary. Since its first publication in 1993, this heartwarming book has become a children's classic that has touched the lives of million ...more
Published October 15th 1993 by Tanglewood (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Kissing Hand, please sign up.
Caitlin Chapman It is one of my favorites; growing up as a child.
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,396 books — 5,823 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,455 books — 1,689 voters

More lists with this book...

·  56,804 ratings  ·  1,611 reviews

Calista
Sweet story about growing pains and missing those we love. Chester doesn't want to go to school, he will miss his mother. It's a great idea that the mother comes up with. She kisses his hand and tells him the kiss will stick all day. Wonderful idea. You carry the energy of that love with you all day and it's a reminder that we can all do that.

I remember school felt long as a child. It felt like it would never end. I think this would have been comforting if I had known about it. The kids here lov
Donalyn
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was a special favorite of my daughter, Sarah. For several months, I read this to her almost every night, often kissing her hand to say goodnight. Even now, my eyes are misty thinking of those wonderful evenings and how tiny Sarah was.

The best books are those that have wonderful memories attached to them.
Duchess Nicole
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: KatLynne
Beautiful story for preschoolers and young school age children. A wonderful sentiment set to ease a child's fear about being away from his/her parents and home. My girls are 7, 9, and 10, and they all loved it! Thanks for the rec, KatLynne!
C.
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Kissing Hand” is another wonderful, well-known children's story I discovered. Audrey Penn was a ballerina, Olympic figure-skating choreographer, and theatre actress who needed a new creative outlet, when arthritis halted dancing and skating. Also in Maryland is Nancy Marie Morton Leaks, one of this book's artists. She has a husband, four children, and spiritual leanings. The second illustrator hails from England. A glance at any Ruth E. Harper profile shows she is hilarious! Even better, sh ...more
Lisa Vegan
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
This is a sweet story with gorgeous illustrations.

The premise is that the love between those we love and those who love us doesn’t go away even when we’re not in their presence.

This could be a helpful book for children starting school or going through any sort of separation from loved ones.

Unfortunately, the children who need it the most are unlikely to get much solace from this book and the children who already feel secure and loved will enjoy this, and it might be useful for them, but they do
Sabeen
This is such a cute book! i love the concept of how his mom will always be there with him if he misses her he can just put his palm on his cheek and he will feel better. The book also shows how children will mimic or model after the people around them like how chester gave his mom a kissing hand too. I wish my mother did something like this when i had anxieties of going to school. :)
Kate
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet children’s book. It tells the tale of a little critter who is scared and nervous about going to school for the first time. His mom allays his fears by telling him that she’ll always be with him if he’s scared, through the magic of the kissing hand.
Mary Johnson
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has been a savior in my house. My 4 year son does not want to go to preschool, and this book has helped tremendously with tear free drop offs. Chester is a little raccoon that does not want to leave his mother to go to school. In a nutshell she kisses his hand and tells him she will be with him. And being the cry at anything mother I am, at the end of the book I was choking back tears as he tells her the same thing. My son's preschool teacher has made a stuffed Chester the class pet an ...more
Kathryn
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, touching story about how we always hold the love of those closest to us, even when we cannot see them. I adore the idea of the "kissing hand" and, though this book may have become a bit "commercialized" with the accompanying stickers, the heart of the tale is pure and one that I think many children (and adults) can relate to.
Brittney Daniel
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book can be used for many ways inside the classroom such as first day jitters, a new child and family joining the center or a child who is having a hard time coming back from vacation. They will know that their caregiver is always with them when they need it.
Deb
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Back when I was five years old, I never wanted summer to end. I wish my grandma had read this book to me before she took me to school on my first day to make me feel better. My best friend’s mother recommended this book to me as one she used to read to her own children and the message within the storyline continues to resonate around her entire family.

Audrey Penn’s ‘The Kissing Hand’ deals with the issue of separation anxiety many children face when starting school as this is often the first
Alice
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 Stars Wow, I had to look up what "Mawkish" meant because it was used in a review on this book on Goodreads. It means "sentimental in a feeble or sickly way." and "saccharine" (like fake sugar) which mean "excessively sweet or sentimental.

Well I disagree. Isn't it nice that we can all have our opinions.

I almost, yes ALMOST gave this a 5 star. I know...be still my beating heart, but I going with a solid 4 1/4 stars.

The artwork IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. This is my type of illustrations to a
Jodie Greene
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is an anthropomorphic picture book. This book is about a raccoon that is going to school for the first time. His mother tells him of a secret called the kissing hand. His mother kisses his palm, then she closes his hand and he takes her love to school with him.

This filled with beautiful illustrations. The pictures do a great job of setting the environment because the one big difference in raccoons going to school is that they are nocturnal so they go to school at night.

I love this book on
Melissa
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My last baby recently started Kindergarten. I have been through this twice before with his older brothers, however being the last one, his starting Kindergarten had a profound effect on me.

I read The Kissing Hand to him the weekend before school started. He has been going to daycare since he was 6 weeks old, so I think that this book was more for me than it was for him. By now, he seems to have no problem leaving me for the day.

The story is about a little raccoon that is going off to school but
Malbadeen
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Typically I shy away from these syrupy kind of books but I have to admit I like this one.

I detest the thought of sending my kids off to be in the hands of someone that might possibly think that they are anything less than brilliant, wildly creative, hilarious and compassionate. And I really detest the thought of them having any moments of missing home or me.

When I see kids at the school I work at cry, I ache with wondering how my own kids are doing at their school and these silly little ritual
Nia King
Jun 19, 2014 added it
Shelves: support, love
This book is a great way to support B-5 students who are new to the classroom. The Kissing Hand allows students to feel comfortable leaving their parents knowing they'll have their love to comfort them. I could incorporate this book on the first day of school and reapply this gesture throughout the school year. This not only helps the students, but the parents can also benefit from the kissing hand knowing their child's love can make them warm inside.
Kirsten
I was never that impressed by this book before I became a parent. I find the illustrations and the story a little saccharine. However, my toddler has been experiencing some major separation anxiety lately, and this book really comes into its own in that regard! It's lovely for big or small separations and for easing those transitions.

Notes on representation: The characters are all animals.
Pam Torres
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the Kissing Hand. The watercolor illustrations are incredible, just the right amount of detail and still maintain the free flowing beauty of the medium. The story, while simple has a definite story arc which keeps the pages turning. Children should adore this book, reminiscent of How Much Do You Love Me.
Chiix Moses
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
MY REVIEW
Separation anxiety is something nearly all children will experience to some extent when starting school, daycare, or even going to their first sleep over. That's where this book comes into play. I like this book because it is a simple, yet efficient way to help young children with this problem. The kissing hand is an easily relatable and also easy to imitate book. I can easily see teachers using this book on the first day of school to make students feel more comfortable in their new env
Jerrica
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book the first thing I thought about was my mom. I real to this book because my mom is all the way in Guam while I'm here going to college. I think this story is awesome for kids who have trouble separating from their parents. It taught me that even though I'm far away from my parents, they're still with me in my heart. Although this is a fantasy book, it reminds children that it's okay to be scared or nervous to start something new in their life.

In the paratext of the story
Madeline Natzke
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: being-brave
I just read this book for the first time. It touched my heart and I thought it was such a heartfelt children's story. Chester is scared to leave his mother and attend school. So I would use this book in the begining of the school year when some of you class is having a hard time leaving their family. Its a great way to share a bond with your class, while showing them that other feel the way you can. Using animals instead of humans catches the children's attention, while still letting them relate ...more
Shakeema Gabriel
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is very sweet. I would tell my parents to read this book to their children before school starts. This book shows how brave the mother is when her child goes off to school as well as her child being brave when he goes off to school. Maybe the parents could give their child a kiss jn their hands and that could be a way to cope for the first day of school.
Mommywest
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story! As little Raccoon gets ready to go to school for the first time, he is worried about missing his mother and all the familiar things he loves. But his mother shows him that he can embrace new experiences and still have her love with him the whole time.
Rashanda Ravenel
I really enjoyed that this book incorporated night creatures/nocturnal life. The moon was very bright and beautiful, shining its light on the owl, raccoon and other night creatures. This story would be great for making children feel better about leaving loved ones to go to school.
Asalyn Holliday
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, abc, feelings
I think this book would be great to read on the first day of school for children who are having trouble being away from their parents. It reminds me of a student I had who always cried when his mom dropped him off and took awhile to warm up. I think that this book would have been helpful for him.
Michael
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awwww
Denise Spicer
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Little Chester Racoon is anxious about the first day of school so his mother kisses him in the palm of his hand..., er... paws to show him that he will now have that kiss with him all day long. Cute illustrations by
Ruth E. Harper Nancy M. Leak
Joy H.
Jun 19, 2017 marked it as keep-in-mind
Shelves: children-s-book
Added 6/19/17. (first published in 1993)
I posted the following about this book at my GR group:
=================================
I first learned about this book during a visit from my grandchildren:
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (first published in 1993)

Summary from Wiki: "Chester is a young raccoon who is nervous about going to school. His mother kisses his center palm and tells him that "whenever you feel lonely and need a little loving from home, just press your hand to your cheek and think, '
Deja
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review: I loved this book I read it in guidance an know again. This book would help many kids deal with separation. Meaning like the first day of school or even being drop at daycare some kids do not adjust like other kids when they parents leave. I also love how Audrey Penn tune is in the book meaning very soft an timid for the child also it could be read at night time or even in the morning if the parent has time. If I was a child for me it would be a refreshing for me that no matter what my m ...more
Daniel
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
If you have pre-schoolers or very young elementary school children, you need to have this book.

There are a lot of picture books published every year, but to hit on one that will stand the test of time and be sold generation after generation, is a rare book, and one every writer is hoping for.  I believe that Audrey Penn found that with The Kissing Hand.

Young Chester Raccoon is nervous about leaving the safety of home to go to school.  To reassure him that all is okay, his mother kisses the palm
Angie's 25 picture books 1 4 May 29, 2018 04:17PM

• When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • The Tiny Seed
  • Bear Wants More
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages

Chester the Raccoon (6 books)
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses
  • A Kiss Goodbye  (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #3)
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories  (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #5)
  • Chester the Brave