Start by marking “The Silver Strand (Mastermind Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Silver Strand (Mastermind Academy, #1)

The Silver Strand

(Mastermind Academy #1)

Ever since twelve year old Isabelle Tresdon’s silver strand of hair sprouted, it’s been nothing but trouble: bleeding pink dust and sparking like a firecracker. Refusing to be known as the girl with the freaky, grandma hair, she wishes it never grew and the hair withers and tarnishes.

The only problem is, the strand is Isabelle's source of magic, and she can transform
Paperback, 1, 298 pages
Published September 27th 2013 by Indicated Publications and Promotions (first published August 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Strand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silver Strand

Start your review of The Silver Strand (Mastermind Academy, #1)
megHan
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
After some surprising events in school one day, Isabella finds out that her mom has been keeping a big secret from her. That night she meets two interesting, um, people from her mom's past - and heads off to Mastermind Academy on an adventure to save her magic, her life - and much more.

I totally fell in love with the cover of this book. But I was disappointed in this book.

The whole idea of bleeding pink dust and growing a silver strand of hair sounded really unique and interesting, but when it
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Isabelle is shocked when a silver strand of hair pokes through her scalp and grows into a large streak. Isabelle feels very embarrassed by the hair and thinks it looks weird and it makes her self-conscious at school. That day at home, she wishes that the strand never appeared. Then, the strand shrivels up and gets discolored. Isabelle is even more shocked when 2 people (well 1 person and one talking cat who used to be a person) from a magical world called Agartha (a strange world of magic) show ...more
Agnes
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book on GoodReads from the author and promised to return with an honest review - here it is:

Isabelle is just a normal girl until one day at school she notices that she has a strange silver strand of hair, which shoots out pink sparkles, and that starts her on an amazing path of adventure and discovering who she really is. She has to undergo different trials using all her skills and knowledge, and only if she succeeds will she be able to save her strand from dying and two worlds from a
Lakisha Spletzer
Disclaimer: I received this ebook copy for free and received no monetary compensation for this review.

The target audience for this novel is 9-12 years old. I definitely feel that the main character, Isabelle, who is 12, behaves and acts like a child in that age range. (Trust me I have kids, so I know.)

I felt the flow of the story was a little rushed in places but not so much that a child would complain. I really think my favorite character is not the heroine of the story but her best friend.

Karen Vega
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. I think it's one that middle school children would enjoy. This book contains fantasy and magic. I feel like girls would enjoy this book more because it has a heroine,Isabelle. Isabelle is just a normal girl just trying to fit in school. She get a silver strand of hair and adventure and humor follows as she learns more about her mother and self. There are great characters in this book readers will love like Boldrick( who's a cat). I would definitely recommend this book ...more
Zoe
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun book to read. I think all ages can enjoy this book for I thoroughly enjoyed it even if I'm way past 12 years old. :) It's light, funny and is a delightful story about the young heroine Isabelle. I'm anxious for book 2!
Susan
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story. A young girl is having a horrible time in school because of a bully and then after a week of headaches she is hit in the head with a basketball. And then ........., can't tell you. A lady with a cat shows up at her house and her mom goes out to talk to her and Belle goes also--guess what--she can hear the cat talking. She can hear frogs talking also. Belle has to complete three tasks and the book really takes off then. A fast read--read it in one setting. Would like to find ...more
Brenda .
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't think this story flowed very well for me. Choppy and sometimes no idea where a new adventure came from. Plus waaaay too preachy about environment. That alone really turned me off. I won't be continuing this series.
Linda
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable middle grade story about a 12 year old child coming into her magical inheritance. It is interesting enough to be enjoyed by adults and children. There are real worries when Isabelle turns into a toad and must hide from her toad killing father. The science and environmental concerns are very well done. Boldrick, the man that was turned into a speaking cat until he can break the curse certainly added humor. I would recommend this to any one.
Cabiria Aquarius
A cute tale about a girl who is different from her schoolmates and learns she’s got a magic strand of hair that is silver. It’s a cute tale of learning how to survive and revive the hair and saving the world of magic.
Anna
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE who can read and is my age and up
I am nine years old and I think this book is AWESOME!!! One day in the story, Isabelle is playing sports and gets hit by a ball and she starts bleeding pink dust! Then her hair sprouts a ‘granny hair’ even though she was only twelve years old! And in science class, Isabelle figures out that the silver hair is actually made out of actual real silver & might be even magical.

And there’s a vain talking cat called Boldrick with a silver whisker, just like Isabelle. I thought he was funny and can
Patricia Reding
Reviewed for Readers’ Favorite (at ReadersFavorite.com)

The Silver Strand, by L. J. Clarkson, introduces readers to Isabelle Tresdon—an artist and scientist—not an athlete—who, while suffering through gym class with a headache, ends up on the floor with pink dust that sparkles around her, then fades away. Minutes later, Isabelle sprouts a “granny hair.” This silver streak worries Isabelle. Will the others kids now give her grandma nicknames, like Ethyl, Beryl, or Shirley? With the assistance of
M
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Received from the Author in exchange for an honest review*
description

Unique and individual, this story is unlike any other! It is a lovely magical read, showing a girl build her confidence and belief in herself. The cover is mysterious, dark and interesting with the arch representing her entry into a new world.

After an embarrassing day back at school when Isabelle discovers she has a silver strand, she believes it is ugly and horrible, but is soon convinced by her best friend that it is indeed magical
Melanie
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars) Isabelle's life starts out pretty ordinary. She's trying to survive gym class, along with her best friend, Bianca. She's had a headache for a few days and, suddenly, she's bleeding pink dust and feeling something wiggle out of her head. She grew a silver strand of hair that she tries to get rid of. She's not sure what to do and then Esme and Boldrick (a cat) show up. Her strand is dying and she has five days to revive it or she will die as well. She has to pass three tests and if she ...more
Angela Burkhead
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Isabelle has five days to unlock the mysteries of her sick silver strand before its failing magic drains her of life. After wishing away her silver strand at the end of an embarrassingly strange school day Isabelle learns of her magic and the world she could have been a part of had she not unknowingly wished her magic away.

Three tests bar her path into mastermind academy where she will learn to use magic... if she can get it back. Dragons, shape shifters, scheming council members, death seems to
Ashley Bailey
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The Silver Strand" is a fun story with an interesting premise and beautiful characters. I absolutely loved it! The idea that one's magic can come from a single Silver Strand of hair is both exciting and frightening! Are my grays meaning I'm turning magical? To wield such power would be such a big responsibility. But 12 year old Isabelle takes it with a stride. When she finally figures out what the strand's all about, she also has to figure out how to get hers healed. Unfortunately, wishing ...more
Bill Tillman
Wait a minute isn't it Strand? Yes but it acts like a banjo string making noise and being wonkie. This is a delightful mid-grade book, you will at sometime kick yourself for skipping if you do. In other words give it a try.
Zoe
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ariestess
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book after all, with a fun twist on how magic manifests. First part of a series, so I'll have to see if I can find the rest in the series to give it a shot.
Niki
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Choppy story line

I was frustrated with the lack of smoothness, or finished polish. The characters went from scene to scene with little to no connection. For example, while speeding along in their traveling device, they encounter similar devices that have guns aiming at them. Then I kid you not, they are in a forest. What happened to the armed gaurd? There's not even a sentence saying they blew past them! I honestly don't even want to finish the book.
Angela
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Immature, but it would work for a middle-school reader.
Jackie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great reading, for a first time by this author just loved it, kept me interested until I had finished the story in a short space of time.
Anika Sheth
Horrible and not recommended

It was hardly interesting. Super boring and annoying.
I would not recommend, it because it will put you to sleep.
Xylia
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was given this ARC by the publisher in exchange for a honest rating and review.

A cold and metallic rod ran from her temple to her shoulder. She twirled the chunky, silver hair between her thumb and forefinger. It gave off fuchsia colored sparkles at her touch. Tingles rippled through her. Warmth spread across her temple, dissolving the ache and dizziness.

It twinkled in the sunlight streaming through the skylight, and she brushed pink powder off it. What was this weird, silver hair?

Ever
Carrie
Isabelle just wants to be normal. That proves difficult when a metallic silver strand sprouts out of her head on day after gym class and shoots off fuchsia sparkles. Isabelle already has kids picking on her because she’d rather be in science class, she doesn’t need to be given grannie nicknames as well (obviously Isabelle never watched Stacy London rock her silver streak on What Not To Wear).

Angry at the problems her new hair has caused (like the school mean queen Jemina saying she’s an alien)
Rachel Clausing
I was asked to read and review this book's sequel, The Silver Chains, by L. J. Clarkson's team, and was given this first book to read also.

The Silver Strand is a fantasy middle grade novel. It focuses on the main protagonist Isabelle and her discovery of magic. I would say I had mixed feelings about the book. As a person who thoroughly likes reading fantasy middle grade, I was excited. There were some aspects that I liked a lot, and some that fell short for me.
The plot was strange but
T.F.
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, middle-grade
The gorgeous cover and premise had me picking up this story, and I read it one sitting. I love stories filled with fantastical elements where anything is possible, and The Silver Strand delivers this and more.
Isabelle is a young girl who struggles to deal with her newfound talents, but things get more complicated when two strangers show up, determined to help her learn what having a silver strand of hair means and how to heal herself. She has abilities, just like her mother, but before she can
T.F.
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dion Perry
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Isabelle Tresdon is an ordinary twelve year old girl. That is, until she sprouts a silver hair. The strand, which cannot be pulled out or cut off, emits sparks and pink dust. Not realising that it is the source of her magic, she wishes it were gone, causing it to wither and become sick. As a result of this, to save her silver strand, Isabelle must successfully complete three tests in five days or else her silver strand will drain her magic and kill her.
The Silver Strand is a ripping good yarn
Christian
I received this for review from LibraryThing.
Twelve year old Isabelle is completely embarrassed when she grows a silver strand of hair that causes her to bleed pink dust, and then a magnet sticks to the hair in the middle of class. She wishes that the hair had never grown causing it to shrivel, but later she finds out that her silver strand is the source of her new magic and if she can't save it she will lose her life as well. If she can save her hair and her life in 5 days she will be able to
LJ Clarkson has done many things in her time. Making mud pies as an Environmental Engineer. Bossing people around as a project manager. Reducing flood risk to residents affected by floods. But her all time favorite job is telling stories and making others laugh.

She counts the following as very special talents: singing out of tune, laughing at her own jokes, reciting useless, but very fascinating

Mastermind Academy (3 books)
  • The Silver Chains (Mastermind Academy #2)
  • The Silver Skull (Mastermind Academy #3)