Start by marking “The Man from Snowy River” as Want to Read:
The Man from Snowy River

The Man from Snowy River

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  323 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Over 40 ballads of the bushland of Australia
Published February 1st 2007 by Echo Library (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about The Man from Snowy River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man from Snowy River

really liked it 4.00  ·

Christine
If you a woman of a certain age, and if you were (or still are) a horse lover, you most likely did what I did -watched The Man from Snowy River over and over and over again.

Which means you most likely also tracked down the poem. Paterson is actully more well known than most people think. What is the song everyone thinks of when thinking of Down Under? No, the one not by an 80s band. Yes, and guess who wrote it?

Paterson writes wonderfully about horses, really fun poems about nags that aren't old
Becky

Prelude
I have gathered these stories afar,
In the wind and the rain,
In the land where the cattle camps are,
On the edge of the plain.
On the overland routes of the west,
When the watches were long,
I have fashioned in earnest and jest
These fragments of song.

They are just the rude stories one hears
In sadness and mirth,
The records of wandering years,
And scant is their worth
Though their merits indeed are but slight,
I shall not repine,
If they give you one moment's delight,
Old comrades of
Stephanie Ricker
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
You've heard some of A.B. "Banjo" Paterson's poetry before, probably without realizing it; he wrote the lyrics for "Waltzing Matilda," which is more of Australia's national anthem than Australia's *actual* national anthem, which practically no one outside of Australia has heard. I had of course read the poem "The Man from Snowy River" before, which is in itself something of an Australian cultural icon--it's even commemorated on their $10 bill. (Side note: I was basically raised on the 1982 movie ...more
Christian West
The poem is the poem, but the illustrations in this version are strangely alluring - soft paint strokes and some unusual textures. An obvious horse book for my challenge to read 50 horse books in 2018.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
When I chose this book, I was looking for bush life stories and I wasn’t expecting so many poems dedicated to horse racing.
My favourite poems in this collection: Conroy’s Gap, In the Droving Days and How Gilbert Died.
Velvetink
Who didn't have to read this at school? Iconic now, and responsible for the continuing huge sales of Driza-Bone coats and R.M. Williams riding boots. ;P
William Hart
Jul 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Phooey! Not a novel or even coherent story, but a collection of long rambling poems that barely rhyme filled with arcane 'out back' Australian cowboy lingo. Different strokes for different folks, I'm not "Bad Mouthing" the book, just not what I was looking for, I'm deleting this one from my downloads.
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love A.B Patterson. The Man from Snowy River is one of his best poems that tells such a great story with such some vivid imagery.
John Yelverton
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a nice enough poem, but I can honestly say, probably for the only time in my life, that the film was better.
Kelly Higgins
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
A collection of poems that had funny, sad, inspiring poems.
Gabrielle
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great poem that reads easily as a story.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I grew up reading Mulga Bill's Bicycle, a poem by A.B. Paterson (better known as Banjo Paterson) - which was brilliantly illustrated by Kilmeny Niland & Deborah Niland and has thus been continuously in print since it came out in 1973. I was thus excited that another of Banjo's poems has been illustrated - increasing its accessability for the younger audience.

The poem itself is a classic, and in this incarntion it remains gloriously unabridged - if you are just interested in the poem you
Kelly
I watched The Man from Snowy River a LOT when I was a child. Here’s what I didn’t care about (and in fact hardly remember, having had to cobble it together from a wikipedia synopsis): gold prospecting, the love story, Jim’s financial difficulties, Jessica being threatened with being sent to (gasp) women’s college, brotherly strife between two secondary characters (seriously, this movie had a lot of subplots, which I guess is crucial when you’re basing your main plot on a 100-line poem about roun ...more
Garth Mailman
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ten years or so past I went looking to find the poem that inspired the Tom Burlison movie, The Man from Snowy River. After a Google or related search discovered I could download Banjo Patterson’s book for free from Gutenberg Press. The .zip file led me to download and install µBook Reader to cope with the file. After reading the titular poem I put the book aside until just recently. Anyone who has sung Waltzing Matilda whether drunk or sober knows that Aussies particularly those in the Outback w ...more
Garth Mailman
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leonie
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this poem and was thrilled that they hadn't abridged it too much or dumbed it down for the children's version. I was also surprised at how much of it I remembered from having had to learn it as a child. Paterson really does distill the essence of Australia and put it into his poetry and the illustrations bring the thrill and movement of a wild brumby heard being rounded up.

This book was one of four classic Australian stories my big sister gave my baby girl for her first Christmas and I c
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Man From Snowy River and Other Verses
Paterson, A.B.
my favorite poet captures the time and place that was the turn of the century in Australia, looking at the dreams and the realities, with rose colored glasses
Rissie
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the imagery. It reminded me of a National Geographic article about Banjo Paterson from a few years back. The photography matches the poem beautifully. (I have included the link.)

Megan
I really admire Freya Blackwood's interpretation of this classic Australian poem. The man from Snowy River might be slight and weedy but he surely brings those wild horses home.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Always nice to renew one's acquaintance with such an iconic bush poem as this. I'm glad it's been republished and kept fresh for the modern generation. Interesting to see some of Freya Blackwood's early work too.
Shannon
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I consider Paterson's poetry classic. It's beautiful. I have always loved the rugged imagery and rhythm he provides in his writing. this is a book I always fall back on when I find myself in a weary, grey kind of day.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a beautiful collection of stories, bought in australia, was a historical reprint of the 100th anniversary of the original printing of the book
Patrick Lum
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love Banjo Paterson's poetry, but after a while you get bloody sick of horse racing and droving, you know?
Miss Melly
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia
.....There was movement at the station... Ahhh. You can't call yourself Australian if you haven't read this.
Marina
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Not as good as the movie. But, really, how much can you get into a poem?
Rebekah

• My Place
  • Memorial
  • The Tyranny Of Distance: How Distance Shaped Australia's History
  • Lost Voices
  • Robbery Under Arms; A Story Of Life And Adventure In The Bush And In The Australian Goldfields
  • If the World Were a Village: A Book about the World's People
  • Blinky Bill
  • Swerve
  • Christmas Wombat
  • The Shiralee
Andrew Barton 'Banjo' Paterson (1864-1941). Poet, ballad writer, journalist and horseman.

A. B. 'Banjo' Paterson, known as Barty to his family, was born Andrew Barton Paterson at Narrambla, near Orange on 17 February 1864. His parents, Andrew Bogle and Rose Isabella Paterson were graziers on Illalong station in the Yass district.

Paterson's early education took place at home under a governess and th
“He was hard and tough and wiry - just the sort that won't say die -
There was courage in his quick impatient tread;
And he bore the badge of gameness in his bright and fiery eye,
And the proud and lofty carriage of his head.”
3 likes
“Had mustered at the homestead overnight,    For the bushmen love hard riding where the wild bush horses are,     And the stock-horse snuffs the battle with delight.    There was Harrison, who made his pile when Pardon won the cup,     The old man with his” 1 likes