Start by marking “Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)

Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,010 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Julie is working on her school project, "The Story of My Life," and enjoying it, until she has to write about "The Worst Thing That Ever Happened." That would be her parents divorce, and she doesn t want to tell classmates about it. After her big basketball game ends badly, she decides that could be her "worst thing." But as her family rallies around her, Julie learns to b ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Julie Tells Her Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julie Tells Her Story

Emily
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't learn much in the story itself. They mention watergate but that's about it. For the most part it's about her parents divorce and the basketball game. Minus the tape recorder it felt like a modern day story. But I did like the looking back section. It was fun to imagine what school was like for my mom.
Katherine
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Julie Tells Her Story seemed to drag on and didn't really have much of a plot. The story takes place in the 1970's, but there didn't seem to be much in the story to really it set it apart from any story in modern day setting.
Kimberly Brown
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite series of the AG series. Earth Day, Chinese New Year, endangered animals, bicentennial, and more.
Ciara
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
the cover photo is an illustration of julie interviewing her mother using the tape recorder her father bought for her in japan. when i saw this illustration & realized that julie's mom is a ginormous hippie, i started to wonder if perhaps the albrights' marriage broke up because ma albright started having an affair with hank, the grizzled hippie veteran who is always baking zucchini bread & organizing petitions.

julie's story continues to be a yawn. in this book, julie's class is given an
Marya
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-series
In the first book in the series, we are introduced to Julie, whose parents recently divorced. This book happily continues on that subject, fully exploring Julie's feelings about the divorce. The divorce is a huge part of her life and it is fitting that the books use the entire series to digest the event.
A secondary theme of the books is feminism -- emerging feminism from the early 70s that force Julie to have to get a petition to get onto the boys' basketball team (there is no girls team). She
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The theme of the divorce is still predominant throughout this story. Julie has to do a class project about her life and the lives of her relatives near her, and she doesn't want to discuss the divorce as part of the Worse Thing Ever to happen.

She plays a major basketball game and is fouled often by a boy on the other team, but the refs don't call most of the fouls. In the end he hits her so hard she is knocked to the floor and breaks her finger.

Julie also has to care for her sister's plant, and
Taylor
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Julie is working on her school project "the story of my life", until she comes to the part where it asks you to tell about "the worst thing that has ever happen". That would be her parents divorce. But she didn't want to mention that to her whole class because she knew they would make fun of her. maybe she could tell about one of her worst basketball games, but who knows what she can do. Are you interested to know what happens THEN READ THE BOOK :). this book was really interesting because you w ...more
Jun 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Basically this is a school story that's set in the 70s. Julie has to do a project about her family and is thrilled when her dad brings her an actual tape recorder with microphone so she can tape her interviews. Unfortunately the project includes talking about the worst thing that has ever happened in her life and Julie doesn't want to talk about her parents getting divorced. Nothing special here, but it is a solid school story that mid and upper grade school girls will be able to relate to easil ...more
Christina
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Julie works on a school project about herself and her family; it's hard for her because she doesn't want to talk about her parents' recent divorce.

Nice book with age-appropriate emotions and problems. I thought it was a little boring, but Isobel and her cousins loved reading it in the car. They all laughed aloud at appropriate moments and felt distress when Julie did, so I guess it's a success!
Kathryn H
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Julie's story was how she was to tell a story about her life at school. Her story went well, but she broke her finger during a basketball game so she couldn't write her story so she recorded it and played it to the class. The story went well until she had to talk about her parent's divorce, which made her sad.
Tricia
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: families
I'm a huge fan of American girl books, and this is the first one I have read in a long time. Overall, I though this was a good book that does well in illustrating divorce, and how it affects members of the family. I would use this book in third grade and beyond, and keep it around for students whose families are going through divorce.
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Parts of this book seemed a little juvenile, but that might only be because I am not in the assumed reading bracket. Still, this story wasn't boring and had a decent pace, I might recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Queen Susan the Gentle
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-girl
"The story of my life" is a report Julie has to do for school. Evey part of it is easy to answer, except for the the part, "the worst thing that ever happened to me". And that would be the seperation of Julie's parents. But she doesn't want to share that with the WHOLE class. But when she breaks her finger and the whole family gathers around her, she learns an important lesson...
Meghan
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-girl
The whole broken bones heal stronger analogy doesn't work out. Broken bones heal weaker. She should have known not to throw her basketball indoors, so I couldn't really sympathize with her. Also, the part when she's in the ER wasn't very accurate.
Mary
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Julie had to write a report about her life. She interviews her mom and her dad. In the middle, she plant sits for her sister and hits i t out the window on accident with a basketball and breaks the pot and almost kills the plant. SHe also records her sisters phone call and gets in trouble.
Reading with Cats
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: american-girl, meh, donate
Julie>Rebecca on the annoying scale.

That tape recorder scene with Julie and Ivy was horridly obnoxious.

And, Tracy? I think your stupid plant will survive just fine on its own for a few hours. Really.
Kristine Hansen
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are aspects of this series which brings to mind my own youth. This is the era that I grew up in. Things I'd forgotten come back to me, and I remember using a tape recorder like this. I like Julie and like how she put her feelings into words at the end of this story.
Leona  Carstairs
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I may dislike this series so much because I read it when my American Girl phase was ending, so I didn't really like their series as much as I did when I was 7. I think I read this when I was 9 or 10.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-girl
I had to explain to Abby what a tape-recorder was, but other than that, she loved the message about Julie's family--that even though her parents are divorced, her family is still a family and will be there for each other.
Lauren
Jun 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
i liked two partes of this book.
1. when she wanted to BABY SIT her sister made her PLANT SIT insted.
2. after she broke her arm her WHOLE family went out to dinner.
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is set in the 70's. It has a great story line and is very intresting. I loved and could read it a MILLION TIMES!
Steph
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Part of a great series of books. A recommended reading for girls of all ages.
Lori
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Again, enjoyable. Annabelle and I have really enjoyed this series.
Alexandra
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
it was awesome
Elise
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute story. Liked this one.
Katie
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Angela
Jun 07, 2010 added it
I also liked this one book. I knew that in some parts it was not good, but it was still intersting.
Kate Matson
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book awhile back and I truly liked it. This book is full of fun and great writing that doesn't let you put it down. Again, American Girl has not disappointed me.
Zoe Grace
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked it because her broken finger healed.
Grace
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was really good because she finally told the truth. And I learned that it's really important to tell the truth, even though I already know that.
what do you think? 1 5 Apr 02, 2011 12:49PM
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Happy Birthday, Kit: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kit, #4)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Kaya's Hero: A Story of Giving (American Girls: Kaya, #3)
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald

American Girls: Julie (6 books)
  • Meet Julie (American Girls: Julie, #1)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
  • Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • Changes for Julie (American Girls: Julie, #6)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prince of Tides
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99