Start by marking “Gone With the Wind: the Definitive Illustrated History of the Book, the Movie, and the Legend” as Want to Read:

Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of an American Classic.

Published in the spring of 1936, Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind was an immediate and overwhelming success; millions of copies were sold in its first year alone. By the time the film opened on December 15, 1939, the anticipation and excitement were so great that the city of Atlanta declared the day an official

Published October 15th 1989 by Fireside

To ask other readers questions about Gone With the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone With the Wind

Ahmad Sharabiani
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Gone With the Wind: the definitive illustrated history of the book, the movie, and the legend, Herb Bridges, Terryl C. Boodman, Margaret Mitchell (Contributor)
Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of an American Classic. Published in the spring of 1936, Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind was an immediate and overwhelming success; millions of copies were sold in its first year alone. By the time the film opened on December 15, 1939, the anticipation and excitement were so great that the city of Atla
Jessica
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful and enlightening journey through the writing, making, filming, and premiere of Gone with the Wind. It had tons of information that I previously had no knowledge of. I was also super excited to discover it is signed by the author! This will be a treasured addition to my book collection for years and years to come.
Myrna
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Probably my first "grown-up" novel. I think I read it because it was a famous book, and because it was "grown-up." And I loved it! I read it several times. I had to go to the encyclopedia because I wanted to know more about the Civil War--how long it lasted, etc. It also gave me a different perspective on the War. The characters will live forever in my mind. And it seems things aren't always black and white! There are always shades of gray.
Frances
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have not read this book ( definitive illustrated history)

What I have read is Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind.
I saw the film in my middle teens and was bought the book when I was 21. Both film and book are in my alltime favourite lists.
this is a superb book, beautifully written.
Every character springs to life as you turn each page.
Yes, Scarlett is a bitch but she fought and struggled to feed and keep a roof over the heads of the people she loved and some she didn't.
Melanie as strong
Satbir
I have no words.... For a book of this calibre five stars will do no justice. it's been days since I completed this book and it still lingers on in my mind. Rhett Butler and Scarlett O Hara were made for each other. Though, I hated Scarlett throughout, I always wanted them to be together. Amazing love story I ever came across. And the Civil War and the aftermath was so well described. It was a little detailed and got boring sometimes but still I loved every page and word that I read. It's a Mast ...more
Diana
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable are so pretty. I loved the candid set pictures.
Not so much the production story, that kind of went on.
Charity
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a big GWTW nut. I've probably read almost every book, seen every making-of / exploratory of / read every magazine article I can get my hands on, about the classic film. So, I know enough. I know just enough to know what this book leaves out (namely, it avoids bringing up the less savory side of the Atlanta premiere, which Clark Gabel almost refused to attend because a certain someone of a darker skin color was not allowed to come). And, since this was published in the 70's, it a bit dated.

Th
Douglas Fugate
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For fans of GWTW this is a must reads. Mr. Bridges and Miss Boodman have created a work of narration, photographs, drawings, and interviews that showcase the work, the exhibition and above all, the splendor of the book, movie and events.
Sugarrr
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars !!!

I Love this Book!!!! Sooooo many Pictures !!!!! It's basically just a Picture Book. Exactly what I wanted :)

A Must for every Fan of the Movie !!!!
Angela
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My fave novel of all time. My grandparents were friends of Miss Peggy who wrote the book. I can say so much about the story, plot, characters, time and era.
Liz
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
As a movie, Gone With the Wind makes such a huge impression. The movie is about the Civil War and the aftermath, but the making of the movie is almost as well known and gives us a glimpse into Hollywood in it's Golden Age.

It's easy for people to forget there was first a successful novel that was begun by a woman who began writing out of boredom while letting her ankle heal. The book took ten years to write and it was the only novel Margaret Mitchell would publish in her lifetime. But really - wh
Shannon *Eboni Scarlett* Holliday

I read this book when I was a little girl before seeing the movie. I was soooo intrigued by this book to the extent that reading it was like watching the movie even before I saw the movie. I read this book from cover to cover at the age of 7 years old. After reading this book I wrote a play for the young people in my family to portray but it didn't go quite as I imagined it. My three daughters have been acquainted with the character Katy Scarlet O' Hara since they were little girls. We'd watch t
Mell
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I remember reading this as a teen, as my mom just loves the film. There are many behind the scene stories about the movie and the actors, and lots of photos. The book also explains how the technically difficult/complex scenes were filmed, and showcases GWTW's pioneering techniques.

Personally, I am not a big fan of this movie. It's beautifully filmed, but I don't find the characters or the setting to be swoon-worthy or romantic in any way. I'm not nostalgic about the civil war and have to say I'
Kissa
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I've read it several times, it takes a while to read! They don't have the cover I have at home. I think mine is from 1957?? maybe. It isn't from the first printing but it is old. I did see a first edition in Little Five Points in Atlanta. Wayyy to expensive for me!
Autumn
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: outdated
Twenty years ago I would have given this book a solid well deserved five stars. However, do to technological advances i.e. hd dvds, digital photos, and the world wide web, I am spoiled with very high quality images. This book just doesn't measure up to what I can see online today... Sorry Mr. Bridges.
Charissa
I don't actually know if I ever read this. What I can be certain about is that a 3rd or 4th grade me used to lug this around everywhere with the mindset that it was certainly l o n g, that length should certainly correspond with depth, and that carrying it would make me look like a Genius. I did the same thing with "Sacajawea."
Mel
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
This book is a lovely tribute to a wonderful film. Unfortunately, the copy from my local library has had 10% of the pages torn out - I assume by some wretched individual who wanted the pictures. Shame on them!
Anthony Corballis
Aug 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's a great story, and I would have given it 5 stars if it weren't a racist classic. The author's latent racism comes through quite clearly, which makes it a fascinating case study of how many southerner's (including literary folks) viewed the events of their time.
Amy
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a very nice tribute to the book and film, complete with photos and facts of both. I enjoyed reading about the creation of the movie, and it makes me want to pick up the novel again very soon.
Jessica
Mar 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I loved this book. It's 900+ pages and I read it in less than a week, staying up late, reading it over breakfast, sneaking in pages at work. As a Yankee, it gave me a new perspective to the Civil War.
Sylvia
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
a behind the scenes look at the making of gone with the wind, the movie. i remember reading this on my first plane ride, going to san francisco in the early 1990s. it was so cool learning about all the behind the scenes drama.
Steffi
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very interesting look behind the scenes, with many great photographs, an entertaining read. I would have loved some more anecdotes/stories from the set/concerning the actors, nevertheless it was very good and well-researched.
Charis
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My favorite movie of all time, but I love the book too. The book has so much more that the movie leaves out. The parts about the war are much more detailed and so are Scarlett's marriages to the first 2 men. This is my favorite love story.
Jim
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect summer reading, just for the sheer fun of it. Scarlet is a fiery unforgettable character. Technically, this is one of the few books you could get away with just seeing the movie.
Diane
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Better than I expected. It's a soapy melodrama, but I liked reading what Scarlett was thinking and Rhett Butler was sexier in the book than in the movie. After reading the book, I do think that the movie was well-cast.
Sue T
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of meeting & getting the autograph's of Ann Rutherford (Scarlett's youngest sister, Carreen) & Mickey Kuhn (Ashley Wilkes's son Beau), wonderful people! The book is loaded with great pics
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gone With the Wind looms huge in my life as a reader, as a film fan, as a Southerner. If you share the fascination, you'll enjoy this book enormously.
Sara
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's a really amazing romantic book that takes place during the civil war.
Soheila
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it was amazing! i love it!
Lilly
Mar 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The best trash novel of all time. I can never stay awake through the whole movie, but the book had me up late nights. Ah, those were good days when I could get this sucked into a long book!!!

• Gone with the Wind Letters
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Visual Companion
  • The Complete Phantom of the Opera
  • Until the End (U.S. Civil War, #2)
  • Complete Gone with the Wind Trpb
  • Frankly, My Dear: "Gone with the Wind" Revisited
  • The Lord of the Rings: Official Movie Guide
  • The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film
  • The Sound of Music
  • A Little Night Music
  • Leading Ladies: The 50 Most Unforgettable Actresses of the Studio Era
  • Blue-Eyed Child of Fortune: The Civil War Letters of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
  • Old Home Town
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • 1776
  • Vivien: The Life of Vivien Leigh
  • The Little House Guidebook
  • Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934