Start by marking “Cock-a-Doodle-Oops!” as Want to Read:
Cock-a-Doodle-Oops!

Cock-a-Doodle-Oops!

When the rooster is away, who is there to ring in the day? Cock-a-Doodle Oops! is the humorous tale of a community of farm animals who band together to help out a rooster who is badly in need of a vacation. How hard can it be to wake up a sleeping farmer? While the rooster is gone, the pig, cow, sheep, and other farm animals attempt to rouse Farmer McPeeper with "cock-a-do ...more
Published May 13th 2014 by Creston Books

To ask other readers questions about Cock-a-Doodle-Oops!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-a-Doodle-Oops!

Fooling Ewe by Mike DemersStar of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonCock-a-Doodle-Oops! by Lori DegmanClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninBig Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
Farm Storytime
73 books — 38 voters
Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonFooling Ewe by Mike DemersBig Red Barn by Margaret Wise BrownGiggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin
Farmyard Fun
338 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Cock-a-Doodle-Oops!
Kate Talbot
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read! The rhyme is perfect and the illustrations so quirky. This is one my kids ask for ALL the time.
Carrie Ardoin
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What happens on a farm when the rooster is not there to crow? The other animals step in to fill his cock a doodlin' shoes! But what happens when days go by and they still can't wake the farmer up?

My son and I both thought this was a pretty funny book. We both would try to do the sound effects for each animal, and ended up laughing at each other when we should have been winding down to get ready for bed!

The book is written in a rhyming scheme that is easy for young kids to follow and guess what
Kym Brunner
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG - so adorable and perfect!
Gretchen
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom-use
This book, as I knew in picking it up, is for the younger reader, but I think it would also be a good mentor text for older readers as well. Aside from the great rhymes the book has, it was interesting to take a situation we all take for granted, every morning the rooster crows on the farm, and pose a what if? I would challenge students to think about the everyday types of things that happen in their lives or movies or books and say, what if? The puns in this book are also great examples of how ...more
Cambrie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, poetry
This rhyming short story of farm animals trying to crow like a rooster is a good read and fun to read aloud! It displays themes of not doing a job right and humor. My favorite part was when the rooster woke up the farmer by crowing into a phone and letting it go to the answering machine. I would use this book in my future classroom to teach about poems and rhyming, and possibly dissect the different lines and figure out with my students why they so easily slip off the tongue.
Skylar Galati
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Through humor and personification, it teaches animal sounds to young readers. When read aloud, the listener can enjoy how the reader exclaims the various animal noises.
Kari Brown
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations and the story. It was really cute and interesting. Also it showed readers the effort of team work and shows how one person can have an effect on others.
Kelly
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The animals and the problem and the solution and the rhyme are all entertaining and hilarious. One of the most fun books to read aloud.
Romelle
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cock-a-Doodle Oops! is a rhyming picture book about a rooster who takes a week-long vacation leaving his cock-a-doodle duty up to the rest of the farm animals. One-by-one they attempt to wake up Farmer Peeper (who is a deep sleeper).

Author Lori Degman's brilliant rhyme and lively plot, paired with Deborah Zemke's fun illustration style, makes this one of my favorite picture books.

The story encourages interactivity, which makes it a great read-aloud. Children can't help but crow along with the
Kellee Moye
Full review with teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=7984

The text in Cock-a-Doodle Oops has such a wonderful rhythm and rhyme. I was so impressed as I read it out loud to Trent because it flowed so well. Trent was enthralled throughout the entire read aloud, and he loved the tie in of each animal’s sound whenever they tried to be the rooster. The book will also be a good first introduction to the days of the week since it goes through a week of the rooster being away. Zemke’s ill
Tima
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Rooster is feeling the need for a vacation. But he's the only one who can wake the farmer up. So he devises a plan for each of the barn yard animals to take a turn at waking up the farmer. He returns to a disaster.

Bright colorful illustrations paired with a funny story will delight the children and amuse the parents. The funny little twist at the end had my son laughing. The vocabulary is simple enough that my 2nd grader could read it to himself, but the 5 yr old enjoyed listening to me read the
Melissa
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lori Degman has created a very cute book with Cock-a-Doodle Oops! The farm rooster has decided to take a vacation to the beach and while he is gone all of the other animals try their “hands” at crowing to wake the farmer. The cow cock-a-doodle moos and the sheep cock-a-doodle baas but none of them can wake the farmer. My daughter and I had a lot of fun calling out the different crows. Her rhyme scheme has a really nice flow and the conclusion is a funny twist.
Deborah Zemke’s illustrations matc
Jennifer Lombardi
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This book is absolutely adorable and fun! The animals try really hard to wake the farmer and we found ourselves laughing as each animal tried to mimic the rooster with no success.The pictures are fantastic-colorful, bright and fun.

This is another book about farm animals but it has a different spin than most of the others. It teaches animal sounds in a new and exciting way! All in all, this is an excellent children's book!

Review from my six year old son- "This book is so funny that I am going to
Andrew Stockle
Cock-a-doodle oops! Is a story about a rooster who goes on vacation. While he is gone the other animals in the barnyard try and imitate his crow so as to wake up the farmer. The book is fun and brightly colored with detailed pictures. There are varying color schemes that seem to represent the different times of day experienced in the book. Anytime sound is made in the story it is mimicked in the shape of the words. For example, when the pig tries to crow it comes out “cock-a-doodle-SQUEAL!” with ...more
Gina Hott
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hott Synopsis:
Rooster has been working without a break for years & it’s time for a vacation but no one else has ever had to wake farmer… Can they do it?
Join in and watch as each of rooster’s friends tries to help him out while he gets a much needed vacation… Can they wake Farmer McPeeper long enough to be fed?

Hott Review:
So adorable!! For parents & their kids. I think I loved this as much as the little ones ;)

More…
Author: Lori Degman, Deborah Zemke (Ill)
Source: JKSCommunications
Grade: A
Ages: 1-6
Barbara
It's a tough week for the animals on Farmer McPeeper's farm. When Rooster takes a vacation, each of the other farm animals try to wake the farmer up with their own take on the rooster's morning clarion call. They fail, leaving the man sleeping for a week, and desperate measures are needed. The rhyming text with its animal sounds and the cartoonish illustrations are sure to make most readers smile--especially at the ending.
Stacy Fetters
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Will Farmer McPeeper ever get woken up? All the rooster wanted was a vacation. He saved up his money to go to the beach. All the animals took turns cock-a doodling and failed. No one was as good as the rooster.

Book was adorable and flowed real nicely. Farmers should know that their cocks need a vacation every once in awhile. They really desire the beach. ;)
Corey Schwartz
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore this book! It's cute and clever with super-duper rhymes! Love the fun wordplay and the unexpected ending. (wish I had written this story myself!:)

P.S. It would make a great story time pairing with Can't Sleep Without Sheep by Susanna Leonard Hill.
Susanna
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Such a cute story written in superb rhyme with clever word play, a surprise ending, and bright illustrations that perfectly match the story. This one is tons of fun from beginning to end. You won't want to miss it!
Jill
When rooster goes on vacation, all the animals try to "talk" like he does, but the farmer just keeps snoring on. When rooster gets back, he has a sore throat and can't crow (talk) very loudly, so they decide to use the phone to call the farmer. Cute and clever.
Michelle
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chock full of puns and clever wordplay, COCK-A-DOODLE OOPS! tells a story that is quirky, unexpected, and a delight to read aloud. Coupled with Deborah Zemke's charming illustrations, this book is a must-have for any child's bookshelf.
Mary
This is a clever book about what happens when the rooster from the farm goes away for a week and the farmer can only wake up to his crow. No matter how the other animals try, it just doesn't work! It is written in rhyming limericks - lots of fun to read and listen to.
Cecilia
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So freaking cute! A book in rhyme that actually follows a good meter and isn't awkward anywhere! I SUPER APPROVE of children books in verse when they are done correctly, and this story is cute. Who can wake Farmer McPeeper when he's such a deep sleeper??!?!?
Kristen
Wonderful rhyme like this just begs to be read aloud. This is a great addition to my rotation of farm animal books. When Rooster goes on vacation, the other animals try to take on his responsibility of waking up the farmer. Terrific ending.
Lynn  Davidson
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Poor rooster needed a vacation. He crowed every morning and the problem was that Farmer wouldn't wake up to anything else! The other animals each took turns, to no avail, until Rooster got home. This story is very entertaining with wonderful illustrations and a funny surprise ending.
Penny Klostermann
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb-faves
In a word-Delightful with a capital D! Lori Degman's rhyme, humor, and storytelling are spot-on and genius! Don't miss this one!
Marissa DeCuir
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Suuuuuuper cute rhyming book for kids!!!! Funny, entertaining story, and kids can see a variety of farm animals. Surprise ending had me and my nephew laughing!
Barb Keister
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Cute early reader written in verse. What will the animals do when rooster goes on a beach vacation? Kids will have fun making the sounds as the farm animals attempt to step in for the rooster.
Rachael
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely delightful! The rhyme pattern is great and the book incorporates the concepts of days of the week and animal sounds. Cute!
Catherine Johnson
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun story with rolicking rhyme throughout. Super twist at the end too. A great one to want to re-read over and over.

• Tip and Tucker Hide and Squeak
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • Hair Love
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
  • The Box Turtle
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • Bear Came Along
  • The Napping House
  • The Perfect Birthday Recipe
  • Yasmin the Chef
  • Yasmin the Friend
  • The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
  • The Scarecrow
  • What About Worms!? (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #7)
  • Marching with Aunt Susan: Susan B. Anthony and the Fight for Women's Suffrage
  • Big Wig: A Little History of Hair
  • Farah Rocks Fifth Grade (Farah Rocks, #1)
  • Count Me In
"Lori Degman is a teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing by day and a children's book author by night, weekend, and school holiday. She writes in rhyme, most of the time - but not always!

Lori is the award-winning author of:
1 Zany Zoo (Simon & Schuster in 2010) - An Illinois Reads Book Selection; winner of the Cheerios New Author Contest and Mom's Choice Award.

Cock-a-Doodle Oops! (Creston Books, 2014