Start by marking “A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships” as Want to Read:
A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships

A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships

At no other time in history have lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) relationships and families been more visible or numerous. A Family by Any Other Name recognizes and celebrates this advance by exploring what “family” means to people today. The anthology includes a wide range of perspectives on queer relationships and families—there are stories on coming out ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by TouchWood Editions

To ask other readers questions about A Family by Any Other Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family by Any Other Name

M-E Girard
Excellent read from beginning to end. The book was recommended to me when I visited Glad Day Bookshop in Toronto, and I'm glad I added it to my stack of purchases. I was grateful for the glimpse into each writers' lives to read about what family means to them, and what their families look like. Any queer person would likely enjoy this book, naturally, but so would anyone really. Queer or not, it's the same for most: Families are not supposed to look the same, and they have more to do with having ...more
Emelda
Apr 21, 2015 Emelda rated it liked it
Shelves: queer
I love collections like this. I am a big fan of memoirs, whether in essays or full book forms. But, for me, few of these essays stood out, comforting to read as they were. I appreciated the additions of families without children (the most common denominator when discussing the word "family") or marriage (legal or not). In stories with interracial relationships (romantic or platonic), I appreciated the calling out of/mention of racism. There could have been more of that.

Two essays that stood out
Carolyn Injoy
I received a free paperback copy as a goodreads giveaway of A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships (Paperback) by Bruce Gillespie for fair review. I rated it as a four star.

It is a collection of essays about establishing family relationships in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) communities. It was an interesting combination of sometimes funny, sometimes tragic stories. They all were heart touching.

To purchase link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1771...
Nathan Burgoine
Jan 01, 2014 Nathan Burgoine rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Very proud to be a part of this collection, which I finished last night. More later, but I will say I was impressed at the wide range of the voices and tales told.
Mary
Jul 25, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
Very thought provoking, helpful.
Ashley E
Feb 03, 2014 Ashley E rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful anthology exploring the changing dynamic and definition of "family" in North America. The personal essays contained in this book examine what family means to all of us, whether blood, marriage, adoption, or something less "legal" but more profound. These contributors have discovered that the family we make is the most important of all and they're sharing their experiences if you're willing to take a chance to open up as well.

Even though I consider myself a very open and queer
Meg
Mar 31, 2015 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, lgbt
All these essays were well written but none of them really stood out to me.
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Kyle Fullmer
Kyle Fullmer rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Rebs
Rebs rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2014
Summer
Summer rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Kendyl
Kendyl rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Emily Shorthouse
Emily Shorthouse rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
Tori
Tori rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Samer Dahaweer
Samer Dahaweer rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016
Felix
Felix rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
superp84
superp84 rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Rosemary
Feb 04, 2014 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kim Martin-whyte
Kim Martin-whyte rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
elysssse
elysssse rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
Rhia Hellmuth
Rhia Hellmuth rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Monique
Monique rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
  • The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy!
  • Discovery: QSF's Second Annual Flash Fiction Contest (QSF Flash Fiction, #1)
  • Foolish Hearts: New Gay Fiction
  • Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction
  • Stolen Child
  • An Underground Life:  Memoirs of a Gay Jew in Nazi Berlin
2920721
Bruce Gillespie is the editor of the essay collection "A Family By Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships." He is the co-editor of two other anthologies: "Somebody's Child: Stories About Adoption" and "Nobody's Father: Life Without Kids," all published by TouchWood Editions. He lives in Simcoe, Ontario, Canada.
More about Bruce Gillespie...