Start by marking “A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships” as Want to Read:
A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships

A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships

At no other time in history have lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) relationships and families been more visible or numerous. A Family by Any Other Name recognizes and celebrates this advance by exploring what family means to people today. The anthology includes a wide range of perspectives on queer relationships and familiesthere are stories on coming out, ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by TouchWood Editions

To ask other readers questions about A Family by Any Other Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family by Any Other Name

Start your review of A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships
M-E Girard
Excellent read from beginning to end. The book was recommended to me when I visited Glad Day Bookshop in Toronto, and I'm glad I added it to my stack of purchases. I was grateful for the glimpse into each writers' lives to read about what family means to them, and what their families look like. Any queer person would likely enjoy this book, naturally, but so would anyone really. Queer or not, it's the same for most: Families are not supposed to look the same, and they have more to do with having ...more
Emelda
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer
I love collections like this. I am a big fan of memoirs, whether in essays or full book forms. But, for me, few of these essays stood out, comforting to read as they were. I appreciated the additions of families without children (the most common denominator when discussing the word "family") or marriage (legal or not). In stories with interracial relationships (romantic or platonic), I appreciated the calling out of/mention of racism. There could have been more of that.

Two essays that stood out
Carolyn Injoy
I received a free paperback copy as a goodreads giveaway of A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships (Paperback) by Bruce Gillespie for fair review. I rated it as a four star.

It is a collection of essays about establishing family relationships in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) communities. It was an interesting combination of sometimes funny, sometimes tragic stories. They all were heart touching.

To purchase link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1771...
'Nathan Burgoine
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Very proud to be a part of this collection, which I finished last night. More later, but I will say I was impressed at the wide range of the voices and tales told.
Mary
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Very thought provoking, helpful.
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
A very interesting look into the meaning of family in our modern times as LGBTQ people. Family is more than biological for the LGBTQ community, extending to close friends and yes even pets. It is my hope that stories like these can help others understand the families we build.
Anastasia
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The stories were upbeat. I would have liked a few more about families with LGBTQ children.
Jill
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come
Ashley E
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful anthology exploring the changing dynamic and definition of "family" in North America. The personal essays contained in this book examine what family means to all of us, whether blood, marriage, adoption, or something less "legal" but more profound. These contributors have discovered that the family we make is the most important of all and they're sharing their experiences if you're willing to take a chance to open up as well.

Even though I consider myself a very open and
Meg
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, parenting
All these essays were well written but none of them really stood out to me.
Alison

• World of Made and Unmade: A Poem
  • They/Them/Their: A Guide to Nonbinary & Genderqueer Identities
  • Walk Through Walls: A Memoir
  • The Worst Kind of Want
  • F*ck No!: How to Stop Saying Yes  When You Can't, You Shouldn't,  or You Just Don't Want To
  • Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness
  • Golden Child
  • The Lost Night
  • In the Dream House
  • The Black Swan
  • The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do
  • Into the Planet: My Life as a Cave Diver
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
  • The Imperilled Ocean: Human Stories from a Changing Sea
  • The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
Bruce Gillespie is the editor of the essay collection "A Family By Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships." He is the co-editor of two other anthologies: "Somebody's Child: Stories About Adoption" and "Nobody's Father: Life Without Kids," all published by TouchWood Editions. He lives in Simcoe, Ontario, Canada.

News & Interviews