Start by marking “Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World” as Want to Read:
Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World

Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World

Based on the award-winning article in Harvard Business Review, from global leadership expert John Kotter.

It’s a familiar scene in organizations today: a new competitive threat or a big opportunity emerges. You quickly create a strategic initiative in response and appoint your best people to make change happen. And it does—but not fast enough. Or effectively enough. Real va
Published April 8th 2014 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published November 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Accelerate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accelerate

Start your review of Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World
Bianca Smith
Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World is the latest business book by John P Kotter. Like his previous books, it's short (200 pages), sweet and written to change the world. Due for release in April 2014.

I never did read Kotter's famous Our Iceberg Is Melting when it was popular. However, when I finished Accelerate I was curious and checked the GoodReads reviews to see if it's the same style. It is, and it is a distinct style.

Accelerate describes a model of running a tra
Vernon Stinebaker
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
More fluff than stuff

Beginning with a slight rehashing of the 8 stage change process for which he is known, the author then describes a two operating system approach, with the left-hand system is the current hierarchy while the right side is described as a network structure. It’s not lost on me that the metaphor used to describe the network is the solar system, which is predictable; there’s not much dynamic here, and little guidance on how the right-hand (network) system forms or works. Also,
Erhan Koseoglu
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
It was a good book to gain an overall understanding about change management. However the argumentation of the book was quite limited and superficial. So in contrast to other Kotter books, this time it was below my expectations...
Frank Calberg
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At the very start of the book, at about location 100, I read that virtually all organizations begin with a network-like structure, sort of like a solar system with a sun, planets, moons, and even satellites. Founders are at the centre. Other people are at various nodes working on different initiatives. All action is guided by a purpose that everyone believes in and works on living out. People move with agility. As the organization grows bigger, i.e. has more employees, departments are created, a ...more
Frank Thun
Nov 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Way to shallow.

Even the basic analogy comparing organizations to operating system is flawed! Try running two Operating Systems on on system in an integrated manner! Applications are able to run on an operating systems, but two operating systems running at the same time integrated in one system is simply not possible.

But ok, this metaphor might be flawed, but the contents might still be valid. But I thin they are not. They are just management bla bla. Look at the "Big ideas" he is describing. T
Doc Norton
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I think Kotter has some good insights into how modern organizations can structure and behave to affect rapid change and innovation without sacrificing some practical level of efficiency in standardized processes. I would like to hear more on how to get started and overcome common hurdles to forming this structure. The book, for me, is too much theory and not enough application.
Little Nook
May 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: productivity
This book was frankly a SORE to read. My biggest issue with books like this (and I have the utmost respect to the author here) is that in their purest sense, these books deliver NOTHING but rehashing of things people have endlessly talked about for many years but now they're delivered to you in a new packaging, new terms, new fashion.

Even the title of the book XLR8 is coded. The book content could have been complete in a single chapter and then perhaps another for application. Instead, it goes
Leah
#30 of 2018.

Was.Not.A.Fan.

This was an assigned reading for PILS (Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership Seminar).

This book is about creating a dual system within your organization to "accelerate" your company. Basically, the "left-side" which is traditional top-down hierarchy; and "Right-side" which is a cluster/network model that is based almost entirely of volunteers.

As far as the carry-over to education, I assume this was meant to be a discussion on getting rid of red-tape, but the 8 accelerators t
Steven Savage
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book on helping businesses accelerate their work - without the starry-eyed ideas of "disruption." This book is enthusiastic about change and rapid paces, almost too much, but is also realistic in acknowledging that rushing ahead, incubating ideas, and changing things doesn't always work. You need bureaucracy and stability - and in fact these can be good things.

Instead it's about how to accelerate your work more realistically, with specific tips and guides. How do you build structures for
Raphael Donaire
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book has great insights on how to promote a company's change and the importance of creating a dual system (hierarchical and network).
If you live in an ecosystem that has department silos, high command-control culture, and inadequate communication, maybe the content could be useful and generate some insights.
In my opinion, the book is a rebirth of Kotter previous book Leading Change except for the fact that the author adds some keywords as agility, network and dual system.
One tip: don't skip
Omar Terrazas gomez
It's a good book, but it doesn't represent something new. We could take some advices in order to improve specifics elements in business but not as a strategic model to be followed. At the beginning It gives some advises about strategic approaches and the general model He uses to analyze growth in Big enterprises by incorporating practices used in start-ups, but the last chapters are somehow repetitive and redundant.
Maria
In this ever connected world it is not enough to do things as you have always done. Businesses need to strategize and transform in an ever increasing cycle instead of once a year.

Why I started this book: It was short, on the Special Operations reading list and I found it in audio.

Why I finished it: It was short and audio. I will need to use the thought process of "this is a challenge" instead of "this is a wall."
Rafael Silva Manojlovic
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was a revelation for me.

The company typical organization is a strong hierarchy with few communication between them at lower levels. This book reveals how a dual structure can deal with changes, creating an innovation network inside the hierarchy structure, formed with multi disciplinary teams, support by main board.

The author explains in incredible detail the mistakes that companies repeat every time they take on a critical change initiative.
Ryan Peacock
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy-to-read book that touched on many of the dynamics present in the world today. The discussions about businesses that were successful or failed when they implemented the dual process was enlightening, but would have been so much more powerful if they had been more specific and stated which business they were actually about.
Glen Young
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
This book gives a very clear picture on how to maintain or regain that entrepreneurial drive in your now larger company. It describes how you need to have the driven people working in a parallel system inside of your organization, and not hamper them with the structure and organization that may slow them down. Sounds messy, but is spelled out well.
Jessica Nelson
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked the concepts and ideas around the dual-operating system presented in this book. However, I found myself skimming a lot because the info felt redundant. I think Kotter could have gotten the point across in half the pages, or even better, a white paper. Worth a read but be prepared to skim as needed
Vivek Priyadarshi
Good diagnosis but not that great prognosis

I liked the exhaustive list of problems identified with large organizations. Solutions have been proposed to address these challenges. But without the mention of examples that followed these suggestions to come out successful, the book is more like theoretical than practical.
Eric
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Good perspective and practical helps re: organizational development, health....toward multiplicative growth. Case studies offer illustrations that bring the acceleration principles to life.
Dzsosszika
May 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile-books
It’s possible that I would have enjoyed this more had I not consumed it as an audiobook and the narrator not had a very annoying voice: think Mr Smith from The Matrix. Coming from an Agile tech industry few of the ideas seemed new to me. I’m glad to be able to move on to something else.
Helfren Filex
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
The world moves fast in the 21st century. As the leader, change is a must. To be a front-runner is mastering the art of changes.

This book helps reader to understand the role of leader to make faster and agile decisions to fulfill the demand in modern market.
Harry Lee
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
It gets to a point where John says it may not seem exciting to the readers but that is irrelevant.
Hamid
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like his book because he showed us how to communicate with my colleagues and accompany them in terms of silo systems
Heather Mores
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Written for business but certainly applicable to higher educational institutions.
Niklas Angmyr
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: läst-i-jobbet
Overall an interesting book but it still leaves many gaps on how a dual operating system will come to exist. And to much hope are drawn upon enthusiasm as a solver for stagnation and unengagement.
Theo A Bogaerts
Mar 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Load of crap
Toby
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some useful structures but could have been more impactful
Hedro Hethcock
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Still timely paradigms for navigating a rapidly changing world. Kotter kept the construct at a high level to be applicable to all sectors. The result was a little bit light in the practical.
Mark Steed
This latest book by Harvard Business School Professor, John Kotter, believes that established hierarchical managerial structures do not provide the agility for organisations to respond sufficiently quickly to take advantages of the narrow windows of opportunity that present themselves. Kotter's solution is that firms should re-organise themselves to be able to cope with the demands of an increasingly changing world. In particular, firms should augment their their hierarchical structures with a n ...more
Manu
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As expected from Kotter, a very well written book talking about the approach for driving changes in an organization in order to capitalize on a business opportunity which could prove to be a game changer.

In this book, Kotter talks about the new concept of "dual operating system" that organizations (especially that are matured and passed through the start-up stage) need to foster in order to be nimble and agile - the qualities needed to capitalize on new business opportunities. This dual operati
Mario Sailer
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
John P. Kotter mainly states that every enterprise undergoes an organizational transformation from a networked structure at the beginning when it forms into a hierarchical structure later on when it matures. Each of this forms has his values and benefits. The networked structure is flexible, fast and it facilitates communication. But there is a limit. As an organization grows it has to become more structured in order to avoid chaotic behavior and a hierarchic organizations forms . This structure ...more

• Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Unicorn Project
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • Exponential Organizations: Why New Organizations Are Ten Times Better, Faster, Cheaper Than Yours (and What To Do About It)
  • The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • The Essential Drucker
  • The Agility Shift: Creating Agile and Effective Leaders, Teams, and Organizations
  • Thinking in Systems: A Primer
  • Gå glip: om begrænsningens kunst i en grænseløs tid
  • Who Killed Change?: Solving the Mystery of Leading People Through Change
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Jytte fra Marketing er desværre gået for i dag: Sådan bruger du adfærdsdesign til at skabe forandringer i den virkelige verden
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • The Younger Man
John P. Kotter, world-renowned expert on leadership, is the author of many books, including Leading Change, Our Iceberg is Melting, The Heart of Change, and his latest book, That's Not How We Do It Here!. He is the Konosuke Matsushita Professor of Leadership, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, and a graduate of MIT and Harvard. He is co-founder of Kotter International, a change management an ...more

News & Interviews