Start by marking “Let the Lover Be” as Want to Read:
Let the Lover Be

Let the Lover Be

Functional alcoholic Kiana Lewis is looking for a way out. Running away from the memories of her mother’s horrific death and her own dead-end existence, she decides to crash her ex-lover’s New Orleans wedding and put a stop to the whole thing. She arrives in the Big Easy to reclaim her old love, and hopefully, reclaim her own life.

Her plans are disrupted when she meets Gen
Published August 19th 2014 by Bold Strokes Books (first published August 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Let the Lover Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let the Lover Be

Start your review of Let the Lover Be
Dena Hankins
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Five stars is a big deal for me. If I'd gone through with becoming a teacher, I'd have been a tough grader. This book is a solid four stars for me and I leaned toward more because of how much I underestimated it in the beginning.

Honest start - I'm not an addict. I've never been really hurt by anyone else's addiction. I understand that addiction is huge in the lives of tons of people and that it's enormous for the addict.

That said, I almost always hate reading anything in the point of view of an
Austin Collins
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absentminded. Someone sober will worry about things going badly. Let the lover be.”
— Rumi

A street-smart, book-smart, hot-blooded drunk incapable of making a good life decision, Kiana Lewis is a train wreck in a tank top, barely clinging to a job as a Web designer for an urban non-profit. A "sordid mess" (as she styles herself on page 121) who has yet to encounter an opportunity she couldn't ruin, Kiana's greatest triumph in life is elevating not giving a fuc
Anne
After reading this story, the first thought that comes to mind is: this book desperately needs a better cover. So if Let the Lover Be is on your radar, don’t be put off by the girl holding a bottle of wine on a pink (pink!) background. Nothing about Kiana’s journey is ordinary and this is not a fluffy romance.

Kiana was going through a Tove Lo phase and decided to do something about her ex’s wedding. The plan was to get Michelle back, but Genevieve gave new meaning to everything.

Honestly, I was
Julie Towe
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew I was going to love this book from chapter one. Kiana is drunk, on a train, trying to stay awake. There are many ways to write a scene like this, but Sheree L. Greer pulls the reader into Kiana's experience so skillfully that I was no longer a reader analyzing Kiana, but felt as though I was Kiana herself, trying to stay awake. This line: "The car, empty save a petite white woman with rolling valise twice her size, smelled of burnt cheese. The smell, otherwise putrid and unwelcome on a tr ...more
Shira Glassman
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: femslash, qwoc
It's hard to know what to say about this without spoiling it, but it has a happy/hopeful ending, (view spoiler) But it was a fulfilling and evocative story about a queer Black woman struggling with alcohol abuse.

Greer's writing style is so easy to read and picture images from that I feel like I devoured the book in one bite, one afternoon of intense plunging
A Dave
Jan 02, 2015 added it
Kiana Lewis the functional alcoholic who isn't as functional as she thinks she is. While she may be able to hold down a job she really can't hold herself down, which we know is true of all functional alcoholics. I was so very interested to know her story know. As her story unravels we watch her unravel. Can she bring herself back together is the looming question? ...more
Connie
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, aoc
* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

First off I have to say that this book is a lot different from what I generally read, not just the fact that it's F/F but rather that the subject matter is a lot heavier than my normal everyone gets a happily ever after romances. While this definitely had some romantic elements, it had a lot of other stuff as well, and I am so happy that I read this because I really enjoyed it.

Kiana,an alcoholic who either doesn't realize or won'
Mykie
Let me preface this review by saying that I needed this read at this very moment. I originally started reading this book right before Christmas 2014, but due to a family emergency, which prompted emergency travel, I had to put it down. I decided to make it my first read of 2015. I'm glad I did because I desperately needed to connect with something healing and familiar.

Although the familiarity I found in this text was a sad one that took me to a place that I'm currently trying to heal, it took m
angie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought Let The Lover Be, not caring very much for the title, but encouraged by the favorable reviews and an instinct the novel was so much more than the cover.

Going by all that would make sense in an ideally rational world, I should not have found my heart aching for main character Kiana or rooting for her to find her way out of her troubled world. She is irresponsible, self-absorbed, sex-obsessed, taunts a recovering alcoholic's sobriety and takes the longest time to see ex-girlfriend Michell
Krystal Smith
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let The Lover Be is full of precise, colorful imagery. The language is so easy and real to me. There’s a moment when Kiana asks Genevieve if she always talks the way she does.

“Like a poem. You talk like you’re reciting a fucking poem.” Well, this author writes poetry in this book, so smooth, so purposeful. Like water just flowing along washing away a path. That easiness had me deep into chapter twelve or so before I even knew it. I adore that about this book. Even though the subject matter is a
Ana
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
First off, this book is waaaaaaaaaaaay more intense than you might think. Or at least it very much was for me. The narrative goes into some very dark places, and it is VERY MUCH an alcoholic in denial arc. Also an important content warning:
(view spoiler)
Sonja
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheree Greer’s novel is a five-star read. I felt this about A Return to Arms also.
This is a well-paced story about a lesbian whose alcoholism is very much entwined with sex. It’s a fully drawn portrait of Kiana who is in the midst of her disease and luckily meets help along the way. I appreciate this courageous look at alcoholism among lesbians. Entertaining because it is well-written, readers also get the benefit of some great erotic scenes.
“If only she could have this pleasure of coming toge
Jay
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, lgbt
The marketing for this book is very strange. This is a book about addiction and grief, which it does a pretty solid job of depicting. It is not a romance, although there are romantic elements. The main "couple" both face their own struggles independent of each other and their relationship isn't a cure. The ending is optimistically open-ended, but with no romantic guarantees. On these fronts, it's an alright book.

However, Michelle, Kiana's ex, was a really strange, off-putting character and messe
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley, r2r, erotica, f-f, kindle
Book gifted from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Cover :- 5 stars
Sex/steaminess :- 4 stars
Story line :-4 stars
Characters :- 3 stars
Overall rating :-4 stars

Personal rating :- 4 stars

Book Pairing:- F/F
Did it give me a book hangover :- No
Is this a review book or personal read :- Review read

Why I chose this book?

I was approved this title on Netgalley

What I liked about this book.

* The story was just as hard hitting as the sex was steamy.
* I liked the way it ended, it suited the story well
Linda K
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
In the beginning this was not an easy read for me only because I'm all about Hot Alpha Male's, which were in shortage in this book, but the further I got into the story.....the better. Kiana is messed up. Genevieve is in no better shape but not as bad as Kiana. Kiana made me not ever want to drink again and I have a glass of wine or a beer once or twice a year. Major drama heartfelt tear jerking moments that these women seem to go thru and even though they have each other one won't let them in. ...more
April Newman
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book moves! From the redline train of Chicago to the sweaty streets of New Orleans, I was absolutely pulled along Kiana's journey of understanding love and herself. The characters felt real, layered and their voices spoke honestly, making me want to just hang out for a while and listen more. Moments of darkness contrasted with levity. It was a story that made me feel, connect, and then most importantly-- forget all about that because I was so immersed, lost in the tombstones of the French Q ...more
Trisscuit Donaldson
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A perfected assortment of page turning events that left me wanting more.. The familiarity of running from the past and fearing what's in front of you kept me going..Loved the way Kiana worked through her struggles and was able to grow as well as the role Genevieve played.. Perfect ending!! (Finished in one day could not put it down)
LOVED EVERY MINUTE!! Sheree L. Greer super excited about what's to come..
ithinkicould
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f
Written with a rich sense of place and feeling. The opening scene on the subway as a stand alone is a stunning piece of writing (shoutout for my favorite city of Chicago--and shoutout also for books that feature queer women of color). The problem is that spread out over the length of the book, place and feeling by themselves were not enough. For me as a reader, the story was missing the crucial element of making me want to know what happens next.
Adrien Julious
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kiana Lewis is definitely a character to know. She makes you love her and want to shake her at the same time. The descriptions of the sights and sounds of New Orleans placed me smack dab in the middle of all the action and I'm glad I took the ride. I loved this book!!!! ...more
Megha
Jul 10, 2020
Jamie
Jun 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #2)
  • Night Life
  • The Blood We Spill
  • The Clinch
  • Spindrift
  • Little Lies
  • Cinders
  • Hurt
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • She Captains: Heroines and Hellions of the Sea
  • The Caphenon (Chronicles of Alsea #1)
  • Hers to Protect
  • Shadows of a Dream
  • Charm City
  • Specter Protocol (Cyber Witch: 2082 #2)
  • Cyber Witch (Cyber Witch: 2082 #1)
  • Rikas Marauders: The Complete Series (Aeon 14: Rika Collections Book 1)
A Milwaukee, Wisconsin, native, Sheree L. Greer has been published in Hair Trigger, The Windy City Times, Reservoir, Fictionary, The Windy City Queer Anthology: Dispatches from the Third Coast, and Best Lesbian Romance 2012. She has performed her work across selected venues in Milwaukee, New York, Miami, Chicago, and Tampa, where she hosts Oral Fixation, the only LGBTQ Open Mic series in Tampa Bay ...more