Start by marking “Blues in the Night” as Want to Read:
Blues in the Night

Blues in the Night (Molly Blume #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Sunday, July 13. 1:46 A.M. Near Lookout Mountain and Laurel Canyon. An unidentified woman in her twenties, wearing a nightgown, was the victim of a hit-and-run accident that left her unconscious and seriously injured. There were no witnesses.

So reads the report on the accident off Mulholland Drive in Molly Blume’s Crime Sheet column for a weekly Los Angeles tabloid. Just a
Published October 1st 2002 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Blues in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blues in the Night

Sheila
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only through Molly Blume's persistent investigative reporting is this murder solved.
Wendy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written and enjoyable novel; it mixes humor with the serious issue of postpartum depression and psychosis. Molly is a sympathetic, (mostly) relatable character with intelligence and insight. The mystery kept me guessing but drops enough clues to not hit you with a nonsense ending.

I gave this book three instead of four stars, though, because the conversation between Molly and the doctor about postpartum depression and psychosis feels like too much of an info dump, and while necessa
Dorothy
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a genre where plots and characters are a dime a dozen, the Molly Blume series stands out and remains memorable to me a decade after Krich closed the book on Molly.
I consider this series one of the best in its league, for imaginative plotting, good writing and a cast of characters and locations that feel real.
Molly (and her family) are missed; a real shame the series ended at book #4.
Marsha
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read (listened to) this book years ago, and I had almost totally forgotten the plot! It's a full story and complete duration with complex characters. I remembered that I had liked it, but I really hadn't remembered the story itself. Definitely worth a revisit!
Kathleen Hagen
Blues in the Night, by Rochelle Krich, B-plus.
Purchased as a cassette book from Blackstone Audio Books.
I’ve read these totally out of order. This is the first in the Molly Blume series. I can see that these books have gotten better as Molly developed more as a character. In this book we are introduced to Molly, who is a true crime writer with several books to her credit. She is also a freelance writer, and she has a “crime column” where she lists crimes from the police reports in a throw-away ne
Carolyn Wallis
I think I will stick with other authors even though I would like to see what happens with the main character. I must admit that the introductory chapters I found Molly, the main character, somewhat irritating in how she tells her story. But as the story developed, this little irritations subsided (and were no longer a distraction). I've enjoyed other novels with Jewish heritage intertwined and found this interesting in this story as well.

The overall story is a series of events taking place in d
Nena
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this and several others in this series and really enjoyed it. I am all about different cultures and was very interested in the Jewish traditions.

The story was very good, a murder mystery which is right up my alley. The characters were very well developed and the story line never got boring or too slow. This author can write.

As the series progresses, you can see character development going on which is a good thing when it comes to a main character series, because many times the character
Wilma Rebstock
I read this charming little book this week. It is light and entertaining but thought provoking. As I've mentioned before, we buy most of our books these days from Audible because of my husband's blindness. I greatly enjoy having books read to me by professional writers and with appropriate accents. In this case a modern young Jewish woman and her family discuss the events surrounding a true crime case the heroine is pursuing. I give it 3.5 stars.
Kendall
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for the genre. I enjoyed reading it, but women mystery writers puzzle me with the sheer quantity of words that don't either add to, or help solve, the mystery. There is a lot of just that here. Much of it is about Jewish lore and customs. Interesting for some readers, but a distraction for others. I still recommend it for anyone who loves mysteries.
Janice
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this mystery--Molly is a writer of true crime books, and is working on a story--did Lenore Sanders suffer from post partem depression or psychosis and thus kill her baby, or did she plot this murder and try to make it look like mental illness? Molly is Orthodox Jewish, pieces of her religious life and traditions added to my enjoyment of this book.
  • A Wrongful Death (Barbara Holloway #10)
  • She's Not There
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #2)
  • The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone, #24)
  • Verdict Unsafe (Lloyd & Hill, #8)
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • Dark and Disorderly (The Adventures of Lillie St. Claire, #1)
  • Turtle Baby (Bo Bradley, #3)
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • Blue Lonesome
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • The Office of the Dead (Roth, #3)
  • Life Sentence
  • Lie Still
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Darkness & Light (Frank Elder, #3)

Molly Blume (4 books)
  • Dream House (Molly Blume, #2)
  • Grave Endings (Molly Blume, #3)
  • Now You See Me... (Molly Blume, #4)