Start by marking “The Nonviolence Handbook: A Guide for Practical Action” as Want to Read:
The Nonviolence Handbook: A Guide for Practical Action

The Nonviolence Handbook: A Guide for Practical Action

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  107 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Despite the fact that two of the 20th century’s most monumental revolutions achieved their aims through nonviolent action, the world continues to view nonviolence as a passive, ineffectual tactic. In this short and powerful book, renowned peace activist Michael Nagler challenges this assertion, demonstrating that nonviolence succeeds through aggressively strategic and ...more
Published April 14th 2014 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Nonviolence Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nonviolence Handbook

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Nonviolence Handbook: A Guide for Practical Action
Timo Virtala
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Väkivallattomuuden opas

Toisinaan minusta tuntuu kuin Matrix-elokuvan Neo'sta. Minusta tuntuu, että maailmassa on jotain pahasti vialla. Tiedän ja tunnen sen, mutta en osaa selittää, mitä se on.

Jos nämä tuntemukset ovat yhtään tuttuja, suosittelen lukemaan Berkeleyn yliopiston emeritusprofessori Michael N. Naglerin uusimman teoksen The Nonviolence Handbook. Nagler on hiukan Morpheusta lyhyempi, huonoryhtisempi ja tuskin osaa edes Kung Fu'a, mutta jonkinlaista punaista totuuden pilleriä hänellä
Reece Eoff
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in the Goodreads Giveaway! The Nonviolence Handbook holds much wisdom for being so short. This is a book that everyone can and should read and understand relatively easily.
Sonnet
Don't let the 3 star rating fool you. This was a good book, and it serves its purpose well. I don't recommend the audio, but I'm sure the print is good. It's a great primer for someone interested in nonviolence, and it will direct you to other works that you should explore. The author also makes a lot of good points and uses a lot of quotes from famous advocates for nonviolence. Probably a wise book to read at this time.
Michael
I will admit, brethren, I have been angry. I have been angry about the politics in America in 2018, and I have been angry about the endless gun violence that plagues this country. My anger came to a head three days ago, when a disturbed young man walked into a high school in Florida and murdered 17 people. I was very, very angry.

The next day at work--I am a teacher--no one spoke about what happened, including me. It didn't even come up, although I am sure it was on everyone's mind. Why? Despair.
Magali
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very interesting little (short) book. I liked how it was both a thorough definition of nonviolence and an explanation on how to use it. After the text there were books recommendations to go further on one's exploration of the concept of nonviolence, I added most of those books to my to-read list.

On the concept of nonviolence, I don't really know what I think yet. I always admired nonviolent protests, movements and personalities but I'm not sure I would subscribe to all of the ideas that go
Charles Collyer
Michael Nagler's book is a very good short introduction to nonviolence and its manifestations. Some nonviolence works emphasize personal empowerment, and others emphasize the power of collective protest against injustice. Nagler is particularly strong in explaining how personal commitment complements and strengthens collective action. In all modesty (tongue in cheek here), a good companion to this book would be my Nonviolence: Origins and Outcomes (3rd ed.), co-authored with the late Dr. Ira ...more
Pamela
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a good nonviolence 101 handbook. Basically a description of the principle of satyagraha. It gave historical examples to highlight some of the basic premises. The book was well organized, easy to read, and had a great bibliography for further reading.
Ameya Warde
A good starter book about Nonviolenct Resistance. I'm not sure if I'd call it a "guide for practical action", it's way too short to be much of a guide, but I do think it has value as a super quick intro to the subject. And it did make me think about how so few people and activists I know who truly follow the path of non-violence outside of just not-committing-violence-during-actions, and what it means that so few activists seem to be coming from a spiritual (whether religious or even deist or ...more
Marietje
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: give-aways, i-own
I accidentally received two copies of this book in a give away. I am going to send one back.

In a clear and objective style Michael Nagler describes the mindset, dos and don't of nonviolent activism. Nonviolence does not only require courage, willingness to suffer and creative planning, but also and inner attitude of love and respect for your opponent, patience, and careful strategy. To me the book was like a meditation on inner peace. You have to become nonviolent in your thinking. I wish all
Michael Collier
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program, and was pleasantly surprised by it. It was a well-written, easy to read manifesto chock full of useful information. Given the title, some may think (as I initially did) that it is a how-to guide on nonviolent protest, but I found that it contained plenty of wisdom that is easily applicable to many of life's difficult situations.
Glen Gersmehl
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
may be the best short intro to nonviolence
Avrio Taylor
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
The unexpected points were the emphasis on non-humiliation even when winning, losing actions and have winning results, appealing the humanity of the enforcers.
Kathy
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good primer/fast read on the topic. Really got me thinking and gave me the tools to do more research on how to maintain nonviolence in my life.
Marilyn Himmelberg

• Extremism
  • ABOUT ANARCHISM
  • Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
  • The Vagina Monologues
  • Control Girl: Lessons on Surrendering Your Burden of Control from Seven Women in the Bible
  • Free Will Explained: How Science and Philosophy Converge to Create a Beautiful Illusion
  • The End of the Sentence
  • Sustaining Hope in an Unjust World: How to Keep Going When You Want to Give Up
  • Make Good Art
  • Bernie Sanders Guide to Political Revolution
  • Soulful Spirituality: Becoming Fully Alive and Deeply Human
  • Whistleblowers: Honesty in America from Washington to Trump
  • The U.S. Immigration Crisis
  • Up Jumped the Devil: The Real Life of Robert Johnson
  • Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad