Start by marking “Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4)” as Want to Read:
Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4)

Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood

(Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales #4)

World War I set the tone for the 20th century and introduced a new type of warfare: global, mechanical, and brutal. Nathan Hale has gathered some of the most fascinating true-life tales from the war and given them his inimitable Hazardous Tales twist. Easy to understand, funny, informative, and lively, this series is the best way to be introduced to some of the most well-k ...more
Published May 13th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams (first published March 18th 2014)

Jessica
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Using animals to represent the different nations involved in World War I, Nathan Hale manages to give a comprehensive overview of the war that makes more sense than anything I ever learned in school. I knew that it started with the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, I knew roughly the years it took place in and the countries involved, but most teachers used WWI as a quick prologue to WWII. This book was a heartbreaking look at that great tragedy, actually bringing me to tear ...more
Barb Middleton
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nathan Hale entertained people during an "Author Klatch" at the American Library Association conference this summer. The man never took a breath. Holding his iPad like an auctioneer, he showed the different helmets from this book giving funny facts and holding the attention of the ten people at the table. He had about three minutes to promote his book before a bell rang and he moved on to the next table. His pacing in real life is reflected in his Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales series. The latest ...more
Karyl
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every time in school that I took US History, we'd get just past the Civil War and Reconstruction, and maybe make it to the turn of the 20th century, but then we'd start running out of time. So the causes of WWI were never really made clear to me. I was told that it was due to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, but how did the death of one man cause so much death and destruction and chaos?

Well, thanks to graphic artist Nathan Hale, now I know. He does an amazing job describing the na
Derek Royal
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice introduction to the general causes and dynamics of the First World War. Granted, and by Hale's own admission, there's a lot that he leaves out, but this is still a good coverage of the action on the Western front...and some of the Eastern, as well. I enjoyed this one more than I did One Dead Spy, perhaps because I enjoy military history, and this book was primarily based on it. Bravo!
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ah, Nathan Hale! I cannot believe that one graphic novel tackled all of WWI in a way that was both easy to follow and fun to read. Recommended for grades 4 - 6.
Jason M
this is a good book for all those historians
Ms. Yingling
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
In this small format paper-over-board book, World War I gets a graphic novel treatment, narrated by Revolutionary war spy Nathan Hale (which is also the author's name, to be confusing) and the hangman and the provost. The snarky trio decide to depict all the players in the war as animals (Bulldog for the UK, eagle for Germany, a bunny for the US, since the eagle is already used), and describes the events that lead to the war, and then covers the majors developments year by year. Done in shades o ...more
orangerful
World War I was hard to understand even when people were living through it. You sort of gloss over it in history classes because there is no clear-cut "bad guy" like in World War II. World War I was a mess, not only when it came to who was allied with who, but also because of all the new technology that was emerging so we had lots of different ways to kill each other.

Nathan Hale has managed to condense it all down to 124 pages and it works! I came into this book only knowing WWI from watching Yo
David
Outstanding!! One might think that a graphic novel that is under 150 pages and covers an entire war would be so broad in scope that it would fail to tell a compelling tale or do justice to the years of carnage that were Word War I. Fortunately this book was able to do the exact opposite. The author was able to give the overall basic ideas behind World War I and yet still tell a dramatic tale with instances of great detail. Obviously, there had to be some omissions and generalities, but the autho ...more
Simone
This was a much more ambitious story than any of the others so far, and Hale points out several times throughout the book that he's just skimming the surface, and has left out huge portions of the war to focus on what happened in Europe. Much less humor as well, though it's certainly still there - when hundreds of thousands or millions of people are dying on each page, there's a little less room for jokes. I prefer the more personal stories in the series that I've read so far (the Donner Party a ...more
Tanya W
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We absolutely love these amazing history books written in "graphic novel" form. We love them so much that we have read all four books in about 3 weeks and can't wait for his new release about Harriet Tubman in April 2015.

This one is about World War I... I learned a ton... what a sad and pathetic war... WOW... and what a super interesting book that helps you keep the different countries and their roles apart through animal characters.

I will say that my 5,7, and 10 year old children LOVED each of
Samantha
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was amaaaaaazing! I could not put it down, despite the grim subject. The countries involved in WWI were depicted as animals, which brought to mind Animal Farm in the best ways.

The writing is top notch, the descriptions/explanations of the action and the technology were easy to understand and well presented, and the jokes were funny and slyly worked in. I will read any and all books in this series because they are as fascinating as they are factual.

Recommended for grades 5-8+.
Meredith
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book combines 2 things I love-Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales and learning about World War I. And it does a brilliant job. The first world war is both extremely complicated and totally nonsensical, and this book is a great (and entertaining and totally depressing) overview. Surely I can't be alone in hoping that he someday writes another book about the WWI flying aces (although, since he's already dedicated this book to Snoopy, who would that one be for???).
Laura Hoyler
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this way of getting kids to learn about history- in this case WWI. I am not a huge lover of graphic novels myself, but I do LOVE how they will get reluctant readers reading. I bought this with a student of mine in mind (graphic novel plus blood in the title= a win!) and I cannot wait for school to start again to give it to him to read!!
Sesana
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty ambitious, to cover the entirety of World War I in a single, 124 page comic. Hale manages a lot better than I would have expected, partly because borrowing the Maus conceit of depicting various nationalities as different animals gives a very useful visual shorthand when introducing historical figures and concepts.
Lauren
This was an extremely well done explanation and overview of World War 1. There is sprinkled humor and some lightheartedness throughout, but it's implemented in a sensitive way that makes it appropriate for young readers without taking away from the seriousness or insulting the sobering reality of this topic.
Jessica  Van Tassell
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This once was a middle of the road book in regards to the whole series. I liked it better than the Alamo one, but not as much as the earlier books. War is a complicated thing and I appreciate the ambition to try to cover it in a graphic novel. It was still terribly confusing to me, but I blame that on my stupidity of this war; and not the author of this book.
Lara
Not my favorite of the series, but pretty impressive coverage of an entire war! I wanted a little more humor, I guess, and even though all the countries are portrayed as animals there are so many of them that I still constantly got them confused. Still, I'm looking forward to the next book about Harriet Tubman.
Katie
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
My 11 year old read this and here's his review:

I liked it. I liked the shooting but it had some annoying characters. I want to read more by this author.

** Update** - I just read this one myself and LOVED it! It's very good at explaining the intricacies of World War I - I actually learned quite a bit!
Jess
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series is fantastic. Hale took such a serious, complicated subject and made it way more accessible. He still manages to make a huge emotional impact, demonstrating the horrors of war, even if America is represented by bunnies.
STARK
Oct 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book I did not like at all. It's about WORLD WAR #1 with animals. In the book the armies were different kinds of animals such as bears and chickens. Through the book It switched battles and it was confusing.
! !
^
Mary Lee
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the most comprehensive history of WWI you will ever read.

It's complicate. But so was WWI.

Keep 'em coming, Mr. Hale. You are filling in gaps in MY historical knowledge, and nurturing historical curiosity in young readers.
JihoHa
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was so fun it was like one movie.
I want to recommend this book to other guys.
I think this is kind of fighting so l thing boys like it
Allyson
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one was really hard for me to read. The animal characters made it hard to distinguish who was who, and there was a shortage of frames, so it made the pages seem really messy.
Leigh
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brilliant book that explains a very complex topic in a reasonably simple way. I do wish the drawings were a bit larger but that's a small quibble. I love this series and can't wait to read more.
Russ Bruxvoort
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fantastic overview of WW I. My 15 year old son liked it as well.
Colin King
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book for history lovers.
Stuart
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
History was always one of my least favorite subjects in school. It never felt like I was taught anything interesting. It was just a large collection of important people, places, and dates. Anytime, there was something that remotely piqued my interest, it was glossed over or ignored. I believe a lot of people my age felt this way, and that if you asked someone what they most remembered from history they could tell you one of two things - "In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue," or some variation ...more
Carl Waluconis
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History and graphic novel fans
World War I has attracted a lot of attention recently because of the 100th anniversary (see Ken Burns' film of computer-restored primary footage). This book presents in a relatively short space the politics and issues involved over the entire conflict. It is told, as with all of Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, with humor at times, but never shirking from the devastation and turmoil. The nations are all represented by animals ("funny animals" in comic book history parlance), which for some might s ...more
bet mercer
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book. I learned so much about WWI and feel like I finally grasp some of what was going on. The moments of silliness are probably great for young readers, and didn't detract from the meat of things for me.
  • The Griffin and the Dinosaur: How Adrienne Mayor Discovered a Fascinating Link Between Myth and Science
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Wicked History Of The World
  • Around the World
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics
  • The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler
  • Brief Histories of Everyday Objects
  • Fault Lines in the Constitution: The Framers, Their Fights, and the Flaws That Affect Us Today
  • Dogs of War
  • King George: What Was His Problem?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the American Revolution
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
  • Seeds of Freedom: The Peaceful Integration of Huntsville, Alabama
  • Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917
Nathan Hale is the New York Times best-selling author/illustrator of the Hazardous Tales series, as well as many picture books including Yellowbelly and Plum go to School, the Twelve Bots of Christmas and The Devil You Know.

He is the illustrator of the Eisner-nominated graphic novel Rapunzel's Revenge and its sequel, Calamity Jack. He also illustrated Frankenstein: A Monstrous Parody, The Dinosaur

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales (8 books)
  • One Dead Spy (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #1)
  • Big Bad Ironclad! (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #2)
  • Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • The Underground Abductor (An Abolitionist Tale about Harriet Tubman) (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #5)
  • Alamo All-Stars (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #6)
  • Raid of No Return (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #7)
  • Lafayette! (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #8)
“One has indeed personally to come under the shadow of war to feel fully its oppression... by 1918 all but one of my close friends were dead." J.R.R. Tolkien” 3 likes
“There is no god of war. War is built and controlled by human hands--humans start it, humans stop it.” 3 likes