Start by marking “Hands & Hearts: With 15 Words in American Sign Language” as Want to Read:
Hands & Hearts: With 15 Words in American Sign Language

Hands & Hearts: With 15 Words in American Sign Language

A mother and daughter spend a sunny day at the beach together where they swim, dance, build sandcastles, and, most importantly, communicate. But their communication is not spoken; rather, it is created by loving hands that use American Sign Language.
Readers will learn how to sign 15 words using American Sign Language with the help of sidebars that are both instructive and
Published May 13th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Hands & Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hands & Hearts

Start your review of Hands & Hearts: With 15 Words in American Sign Language
Janae
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because of the sign language and the art, mostly. I wish the diagrams of the sign language had been a bit more clear on one or two of them, but it's difficult to draw a still 2D picture of a 3D motion, so for the most part I liked them. I think "run" was the only truly unclear one.

I liked seeing the characters doing sign language as well.
Charly Carbray
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On a beautiful summer day, a happy mother and her daughter make a trip to the beach to enjoy one another's company. They splash in the waves, build sand castles, eat lunch, and relax in the sun. Overall, it looks like they have a very fun day! The two can be seen many times talking to eachother on the beach. But they're not using their voices, they're using their hands! That's right. These two characters are deaf, and communicate using sign language. The novel teaches you different ASL words as ...more
Marsha
With its outlined human figures set against the gentle pastels of sand and sea, we have a story told in four-lined passages about a mother and child’s happy outing at the beach. Each page is accompanied by a hand sign in ASL illustrating a highlighted word. The story allows a reader to read it aloud as well as making the appropriate gestures.

You don’t know whether it’s the mother or child who’s deaf and you realize that it doesn’t matter. This picture book is a lovely little primer for young
Laurie
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very sweet book about a mother and daughter's day at the beach, with American Sign Language on every page. The illustrations are gorgeous and I love that, in addition to the sign language diagrams on the side, the mother and daughter are actually seen doing the signs in many of the illustrations. A nice addition to ASL and general picture book collections alike.
Robert Gowdy
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: educators teaching about diversity
Good story. This story can diversify the knowledge of a student by teaching them basic sign language and showing them there is another way of speaking without using their vocal cords. This book touches on the topic of communication, family, and the understanding of people that do not necessarily communicate the same way you might. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in ASL.
Molly Lund
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely story of a mother and daughter who spend the day at the beach. On the first two-page spread, we learn that there is something very special about the two characters in the book. The story is told to the reader through the written word, however the mother and daughter communicate using American sign language. Fifteen words from the text are illustrated in American Sign Language.
Kya
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I appreciated the usage of ASL, as it still doesn't get enough recognition. The story, however, was uneventful, and therefore it felt more like the flipping of pages than the reading of a story. Nice to have if you want to show off some ASL vocabulary though and its use.
December Sirmans
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
I really enjoyed the diversity this book had. I liked how it teaches kids some words in sign language and through out the book the illustrations show them signing to each other like how it would be in real life.
Dewey
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book, lovely illustrations.
Pandamunky
The illustrations are charming but the story is lacking.
Tammy H
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We use ASL, this book was beautiful and perfect for bedtime.
December SIrmans
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Hannah Hayes
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
I like this story because it was the first book I had ever seen that incorporated sign language into the text. This book would be fun in the classroom and we could start to talk about American Sign Language, to create more understanding in students who don't know what that is or what is means.
Jill
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story follows a mother and daughter on an outing to the beach. Their simple activities are shown with muted pencil-and-watercolor paintings on one side of the two-page spreads, and illustrations of associated sign language on the other side.

Fifteen words help describe the full and fun day that includes flowers, dance, sun, swim, and of course the word laugh, ending up with the word for sunset.

The illustrations by Amy Bates are perfect for very young children.

Discussion: It turns out that
Rachel
A mother and daughter spend the day at the beach. This premise may not sound special, and by itself it would not be, but the author includes several standout aspects that elevate this book to outstanding worth. Upon opening the cover we immediately notice the panels running parallel to the text. Within each is a single word, represented in both writing and sign language. The girl in the story is deaf. Just like how she uses a visual language, the text mimics this by using image-filled ...more
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Preschool
Family: Mother, daughter
Culture: Deaf

This will add a beautiful dimension to your collection. A mother and daughter go to the beach to enjoy the summer day, using their hands and fingers to interact with the world through touching and communicating. The illustrations are rich and full of movement and the sign-language diagrams are included next to the text. The diagrams use the characters, showing that they are communicating to each other in sign language.

This book provides
Venus
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Review originally posted here at Children's Atheneum.

Beautiful and simple, Hands & Hearts is a quiet picture book that is interactive in a way that I have not seen before. Sure there are non-fiction titles and a handful of baby signs books, but
Shelli
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a beautifully illustrated simple story about a young girl and her mother spending a day together at the beach. Each page has a word showcased in American Sign Language and an illustration showing how to make the sign. Hands & Hearts is a perfect book to share with young readers to expose them to an entirely new way of communicating and possibly spark their interest in further learning.
Samantha
A day spent at the beach is detailed in poetic description with accompanying sidebars showing American Sign Language hand movements.

An author's note encourages readers to further explore deaf culture and American Sign Language both online and in their communities.

Pencil and watercolor illustrations perfectly capture the essence of the beach. Good read aloud for PreK-2.
Erin Buhr
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read several good books that integrate sign language in some way, but this is by far the best. This beautiful story is about a mom and her daughter and their day at the beach. It is told with simple words and an American Sign Language example on each of the 15 pages. Illustrated with soft watercolor paintings, this is a gentle story about hands, love, and simple joys.
Aiyana
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Truly glorious illustrations accompany this sweet rhyming story about a day at the beach. Additionally, each page shows one of the story's words in ASL. While I love that idea, I think it could have been done a little better, both in terms of instructions and choice of words. Still, a wonderful book.
Naomi
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everything about this book was wonderful. First, I enjoyed the introduction of American sign language to young children. Second, the illustrations were beautiful...very sweet. Finally, while the story wasn't the greatest, it showed the love between a mother and her daughter.
Iamaby En
This would be a great interaction storytime book! I think the sign language words used in the book are simple enough for very young hands, and parents or caregivers can always help shape their child's fingers and hands. I'll have to try it out one day...
Valleri
My children and I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it gave opportunity for me to share my love of ASL with them. Beautiful pictures accompanied loving and kind words. An all-around calming, sweet book that gives a glimpse into the world of using signs to communicate.
Mary
I really liked the fact that ASL signs are incorporated into this story - the pictures are beautiful, too. However, I felt that the text somewhat missed the mark and wasn't very fun to read. I would have much preferred to encounter the book with only the signs and no other text.
Lynn
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely - great way to introduce sign language by incorporating a few basic words into an afternoon's day on the beach.
Lisa D
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Great way for people to learn basic sign language
Becky Kondritz
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
could use for teaching alliteration; sign language
Lorraine
Beautifully illustrated. Another gem from Donna Jo Napoli!
Lindsay
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e, fiction, family, language
I like the concept, but some of the sign language illustrations are difficult to interpret.

• The Seventh Wish
  • A Sick Day for Amos McGee
  • The Monkey Goes Bananas
  • Kitten's First Full Moon
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • Elliot
  • Tell Me a Tattoo Story
  • Last Stop on Market Street
  • The Wonder
Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of children's and YA fiction. She loves to garden and bake bread, and even dreams of moving to the woods and becoming a naturalist.

At various times her house and yard have been filled with dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits. For thirteen years she had a cat named Taxi, and liked to go outside and call, "Taxi!" to make the neighbors wonder. But dear dear