Start by marking “Screamscapes: Tales of Terror” as Want to Read:
Screamscapes: Tales of Terror

Screamscapes: Tales of Terror

HORROR NOVEL REVIEWS raves: "...A great choice for pretty much any horror reader...fans of Tales from the Crypt, The Twilight Zone, or old-school anthology horror films will feel right at home here. If I were to write a one word review, it would be this: FUN. Pick it up, boils and ghouls. You won't regret it."

Ten twisted tales designed to delight fans of modern horror.
Mass Market Paperback, Second edition, 323 pages
Published October 2013 by Corpus Press (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Screamscapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screamscapes

Start your review of Screamscapes: Tales of Terror
Evans Light
Apr 03, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it, wrote-it
* THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT *

The eBook has beautiful formatting active content for your Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android, Nook, or other e-reader.

Screamscapes: Tales of Terror is available now from Amazon, iBooks or your favorite retailer:

Pocket Paperback Edition - NEW!:
Deluxe Hardcover Edition - NEW!:
CORPUS PRESS Book Store
(signed limited edition and discount paperback):

Jason Parent
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I'm always looking for that perfect CD, the one where every song on it is a non-skipper. Maybe I'm the only one who does (I mean, with the iRevolution, do peeps buy CDs anymore). Well, in all my years of listening to music, I have only found four CDs where every song is good to great (Live - Mental Jewelry; Sevendust - Seasons, Disturbed - 10,000 Fists, and Within Temptation - Silent Force), in case anyone gave a damn).

Screamscapes is the the literary version of that perfect CD. Starting with my
Well Read Beard
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Great collection of stories. Some authors just speak to you. There are a lot of great authors out there, but sometimes you the reader and the writer just click. I am starting to feel that with Evans Light's writing. I can't really explain it, but the pages of his stuff literally fly for me. I am often guilty of picking something up, reading a few pages and having no idea what I just read. I either go back and re-read more carefully or I just miss that part of the text. The point I am trying to ...more
Mylene
Well... that was a screaming good time!

Absolutely fantastic short story collection.

The story at the top of my list was “The Mole People Beneath The City”. This one MUST have a sequel as specified by Mr. Light. Incredible story just demanding an encore. I also favoured “Nose Hears” (lol...just too awesome and funny), “Payback”, and “Crawlspace” (do I see a revenge theme emerging in my preferences?)

If you are looking for short stories that keep you flipping the pages to see what happens next,
David
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: unfaithful husbands in crawlspaces, hot young college chippies
Disclaimer: Review and rating based on only the first story in this collection, "Crawlspace." I did not read the entire book.

The first story in this collection, Crawlspace, is your basic revenge thriller about an unfaithful turd of a husband and his bitter harpy wife. She goes off for the weekend, admonishing him to lay down plastic and lime in the dank crawlspace beneath their large house. He agrees, expecting a visit from his young mistress, a hot young thing he met while taking classes at the
Adam Light
An incredible, engaging and diverse collection of tales that deserves to be read by anyone with an inkling of good taste in horror fiction. I am not going to rate each story or break them down one at a time, as I have already reviewed them all at one time or another, but I am going to say that this is by far the best collection of short fiction I have read in quite some time. I have tried the rest, believe it. I read a lot, and I write short fiction myself. Full disclosure time: Evans is my ...more
Bruce Blanchard
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Screamscapes is a collection of stories that go...everywhere.
The writer's imagination starts off with a kernel of an idea, a vision of an emotion, gives it flesh, adds muscle and bone, and presents a skeleton, an unusual setting setting and goes about to take it to an unusual (in some stories) extreme. This, in fact, is the reason for the 4 stars of my rating. Where a story should or could end (based on my experience as a reader) it doesn't. Or it should. One of the bugaboos of a writer is
Deb
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I truly enjoyed this book! The stories were creepy and unique. I loved that some had humor also, like Nose Hears (that was great lol!). And to Evans Light... just wanted you to know I MUCH prefer the ending you decided to go with in Curtains For Love instead of the alternate/original. Didn't care for that ending. I am glad you changed it! Great book of creepy stories!
Bryan Moyer
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great collection of horror shorts. There was everything from ghosts, to a twisted Santa, to man eating creatures. My favorite of the collection was Crawlspace, as it was written so well that it sparked my own claustrophobia and made every nerve ending twitch.
Squire
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Disclaimer: This title was sent to me in exchange for an honest review.

Here we have an offering of macabre tales with an eyeful of smut. Author Evans Light shares his unique vision of horror via 9 short tales and a novella. His stories range from the exquisitely grotesque "Gertrude" to the bizarre and off-putting "Payback." He also includes an alternate ending to his eerie and haunting "Curtains for Love" that, while I found it more to my liking, did not fit stylistically with his story.

Three of
Kimberly
I won this copy of SCREAMSCAPES through Goodreads first-reads giveaway.

The stories in this collection varied in length and subject, but overall I found them to have a very unique style of their own. As other reviewers have mentioned, some have a distinctive "Twilight Zone" feel to them, that I absolutely loved.

My favorites among these were: "Crawlspace": the physchological aspect infused within is what makes this story truly horrid and sets it above so many other tales! This one has been
Kimberly
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book.. I did like most of the stories and so I'm going to give it 4 stars... but a couple I just didn't like at all.. Nose hears??? huh? I thought that one was just dumb! After starting The Package I totally skipped it after only reading the first page.. something about Santa Claus being a mean old man and talking about his "man hood" just really turned me off.. I just couldn't continue with that story. Not liking only 2 out of the 10 is pretty good.. I look ...more
Jayne
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Josh
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Everyone says not to judge a book by its cover, but with Screamscapes I just couldn’t help myself. I needed to peel back the cover like those hands are peeling open the eye and see what kind of craziness lurked within. In this case it was well worth the price of curiosity. Before this I’d only read Pumpkinhead Ted, one of Light’s short stories from Bad Apples, a Halloween anthology. That one left an impression, so at the very least I was counting on more like that. Screamscapes ended up being a ...more
Steven
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evans-adam-light
Screamscapes as a whole was a fantastic read which is why I gave it 5 stars. However, not every story was a 5 star for me.So here is my break down of rating each story and how I came to the decision of 5 stars.

Crawlspace got 3 stars - great concept but the ending didn't feel right to me. Although, the ending could be read and perceived many different ways which is kind of interesting as an after thought.

Whatever Possessed You got 4 stars - had the perfect horror story punch and felt like it
Quentin Wallace
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I actually read this entire book in just a few hours. I will say right off the writing itself is really good, no issues there. Overall I liked it a lot, but I will go through each story:

Crawlspace: I loved the claustrophobic feel the story presented, and he did a good job of making the set up feel realistic. I didn't really care for the ending, however.

Whatever Possessed You: As a writer, I appreciated this one. As most writers can attest, sometimes when you are writing it can almost feel as
Angie
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Recommended to Angie by: saw it on casual readers group
I liked most of these stories but as with most collections I have my favourites. I also liked the way the author told you how each story evolved for him.

The first in the book was Crawlspace. This was very creepy especially since my mum's house from when I was a kid had one. You reached it by going through the cellar and down a passage. It used to give me nightmares, so this story made me think back to that. Poor Thomas, he didn't deserve all that. I wonder just how long he was down there.

In
Rick Shepard
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

'Screamscapes' by Evans Light, was one of the books I bought to read for my Halloween vacation. It's become an annual ritual,for me, to buy a couple books that look particularly good, to help get into the proper mindset for the holiday, and 'Screamscapes' was one of the best. This is a great collection of 10 short stories and novellas, that will terrify you, but also make you think. Most other reviews I've read, have talked about the stories themselves, so I won't bother. But I will say, I
megHan
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites, horror
It is so hard for me to write a review on short stories, especially when they are ones that I really like. I am so afraid of giving away too much ... This was a great selection of stories and I really enjoyed everyone. My favorites, by far, were Crawlspace, Arboreatum, Curtains for Love (which had an alternate ending and both were good) and The Package.

Funny story: The Package is a story about Santa. And this particular Santa reminds me of a guy who works here at my apartment complex. I
Julie
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads, and haven't enjoyed horror this much in a long time. :)

Mr. Light really has a way with words and descriptions, a fine imagination (in featuring things that I haven't seen used as objects of horror before), and the pacing is just right to build almost unbearable tension. Too often, many authors I've read create a build-up so good that it seems that no ending could possibly live up it, leaving a feeling of anticlimax or disappointment -
☆Joycedale☆
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed, first-reads
Evans is definitely a talented author. This book contains 10 storys and no 2 of them are alike. The first story left me cheering for a character. I wish I would as clever as to come up with something like this. Another story is now my favorite horror story even if it is just a novella. I would truely like to see that made into a full lenth book. Another story I felt he got just what he deserved since it was fairly oblivious what a prick he was. I really enjoyed the love one and "The Package" had ...more
Brenda Seaberg
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was fun! I really enjoyed these short stories. "Whatever Possessed You" was a nice, new concept for me. I was rooting for poor Gerard throughout the story. "Gertrude" was rather a squeamish story, but it was fun to read. "The Mole People Beneath the City" - I don't know why, but I didn't catch on to this one until the end. "Curtains for Love" - great ending. There is another ending available to read, but I think the one Evans went with was the right one. I don't want to talk about ...more
MaryEllen
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-won
Absolutely loved this book. From start to finish. Every story was great. I liked that the author put a little note at the end of each story. I hope he does write sequels or longer versions of mole ppl and the black door. I sincerely wish the Light Brothers the greatest success. they are the best new authors I've read in a long time.

PS I love short stories. It's a shame everyone seems to write such long novels these days. It's nice to have a quick read without such a commitment.
John Gibbons
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a lot of fun to read. Each story was different in tone and style. Some were humorous and others spooky. There were stories in this book that creeped me out a bit. Evans can tell a good ghost story. I can't really say which was a favorite because they all were so good. I am definitely a fan of this guy's work and plan on reading more of his and his brothers stuff soon. Just a solid collection.
Timbo  Jones
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I came across the first story, Crawlspace, as a free download on iBooks, after reading a review of it on Goodreads. I loved it and decided to purchase Screamscapes.

For me, Crawlspace was the highlight. I liked most of the other stories but didn’t love them. I was a little disappointed that the other stories - in my opinion - didn’t match the first. I found a couple of them a little silly and more appropriate to a young adult audience, but they weren’t bad by any means.

Well worth a read.
Nicole
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I received a free Limited Edition copy of Screamscapes via a Goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed these stories. My favs were Crawlspace, The Package and Black Door. For me these stories were reminiscent of the old tv show Tales from the Crypt. Thank-you Goodreads and thank-you Evans Light.
Susan
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SCREAMSCAPES is one of those books you just can't put down! Every story was a different kind of horror--from sick and twisted to chuckling funny.

I am really enjoying Evans twisted and warped sense of whatever it takes to write as he does!!

Samantha Silver
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was really good all the story are creepy and weird its really a great read hope ur great mind keeps working like this evans light
Kim
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 & 1/2 stars! 'Crawlspace' was definitely my favorite. And someone please remind me to stop reading this author at bedtime. ;)
Nev Murray
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A collection of short stories from Evans Light.

It’s no secret. I love Evans Light’s writing. This collection of short stories cements that feeling in an immense way. Normally when I do a review of a collection I would skim over the stories highlighting one or two that I felt deserved individual praise. With Screamscapes they all deserve their own credit. So to that end, below are short individual reviews of each story in the book. It’s a long review so I don’t blame you if you don’t read it all

• Midnight in the Graveyard
  • Other Voices, Other Tombs
  • Carnival Of Strange Things (Creepiest Show On Earth Book 3)
  • Don't Scream 2: 30 More Tales to Terrify
  • Daughters of Darkness
  • Nightmareland
  • Bizarre
  • Shadow on the Stairs: Urban Mysteries and Horror Stories
  • Terror in the Shadows: Volume 5 (Terror in the Shadows, #5)
  • Into You: And Other Stories Of Love Gone Bad
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 6: Scary Ghosts, Monsters, Demons, and Hauntings (Supernatural Suspense Collection)
  • The Neighbor (The City, #0.5)
Evans Light is a writer of horror and suspense, and is the author of Screamscapes: Tales of Terror , Arboreatum , Don’t Need No Water and more. He is editor of the anthology Doorbells at Dusk and the In Darkness, Delight series. He is co-creator of the Bad Apples Halloween anthology series and Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love .
description