Start by marking “Have a Nice Guilt Trip” as Want to Read:
Have a Nice Guilt Trip

Have a Nice Guilt Trip

(The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman #5)

Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella are back with another collection of warm and witty stories that will strike a chord with every woman. This four book series is among the best reviewed humor books published today and has been compared to the late greats, Erma Bombeck and Nora Ephron. Booklist raved of the third book in the series, Meet Me At Emotional Baggage Claim, ...more
Published July 8th 2014 by St. Martin's Press (first published July 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Have a Nice Guilt Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have a Nice Guilt Trip

Danielle Rush
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always choose the audio version of their books because I think hearing the stories in Lisa and Francesca's voices adds to the experience. The stories about Mother Mary were especially poignant, knowing she recently passed away. I was sad to come to the end of the CDs.
Minty McBunny
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: october-2014, 2014
No. No no no no no. Both of these women are annoying, self-absorbed, I have nothing in common with them and have no interest in reading their self-congratulatory/self-deprecating anecdotes any further. Did not finish.
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am a fan of Ms. Scottoline. I enjoy reading her books. I can't remember really not liking any of the books I have read. I had this book sitting on my stack for a while begging me to check it out. I finally grabbed it and started reading it. While I like that I felt I got to know Ms. Scottoline better as well as her family including her daughter, Francesca, brother, Frank and her mother, Mary, I was thinking and hoping that this book would read more like a comedy. It did not so and I agree with ...more
Yaritza
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book officially wins five stars from me.This is the most hilarious book I have ever read. Lisa is an amazing author who could make anyone laugh with her jokes. I have never met Lisa but feel like I am her best friend after reading all those personal and at times embarrassing moments she had. Mother Mary is just the funniest and controlling mother, who I learn to cherish throughout the book. Francesca is an amazing author who really loves and cherishes her family. The most funniest part that ...more
Alyssa
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
My sister won the book from a good reads giveaway and I hijacked it at the airport on our trip. It was highly amusing and a quick read, so much so that I was reading the last page as we stepped off the last plane.
Donna
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the second book I've read by this author. This one is nonfiction and it was also a joint project with her daughter. This book was just okay for me. It really wasn't my kind of humor. Sometimes I felt like it was a little on the TMI side. She talked about things I really didn't want to know about, let alone the gritty details of said things.

Also, I'm not a fan of the format. It was just a bunch of snipets...all unrelated.
Mary Gramlich
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You will need more than a carry on for this trip!

When you read this series of books by Lisa and Francesca (see I acted like they are my friends) you are thinking “authors have really normal lives” which sucks because I expected so much more from them. They have relationship issues, family drama, getting into trouble when you have free time, and animals they love. The only thing is it seems more interesting when you read about these things going on than when you are living them, why is that? Writ
Diana Qureshi
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was somewhat bittersweet to read because some of the stories featured Mother Mary, who recently passed away. As usual the stories written by Lisa Scottoline and her daughter were humorous, interesting, short & sweet. I always look forward to these books and read them very quickly once they are published and I get them from the library.
Tammy Adkins
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
At the beginning I thought I was going to love the humor in this book and really "get into" it. I didn't. I read the entire book so I could discuss it at book club but the stories were all unrelated and I got bored before finishing it.
Wanda Kelley
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good clean stories about what women think about a variety of topics.
Debbie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Again a winner of a book. This series is light hearted and a quick read. Lisa Scottoline puts every woman's feeling right there in black and white for the whole world to react to....I choose to laugh, smile and enjoy. And Lisa, BTW I kiss my dogs on the lips too.
Gina
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy the light hearted stories they share.
Ruth
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love to read Lisa Scottoline. With the exception of the book that just came out this week, I have read them all. I especially enjoy the humorous essays that she writes with her daughter. I have been to her house with my sister and daughter. I identify with everyday things that she writes about and love that she sees the humor in them. She has a daughter making her way in NYC. I have a daughter making her way in NYC. She goes to visit her daughter. I go to visit my daughter. We should totally h ...more
Katlyn
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I recently won this book in a giveaway on this site... As a thirteen almost fourteen year old girl I had never heard of this author. But as I began to read more and more of this book I thought it was amazingly written. However, I am pretty sure that I wasn't the target audience :p I am giving this book a 3/5 stars because although very entertaining; I didn't really connect with the characters and I understood that this book was meant to be read by someone who was probably in there late twenties. ...more
Kristine R.
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is not my kind of book at all. I made the mistake of listening to it on audio and I know it is just me personally but, I find books that are narrated by the people who wrote them to be very irritating. I only finished half of it. It is difficult for me to take life lessons from someone who is far younger than me who seemingly grew up under a sheltered canopy of what life is really like. I can't really take advice from someone who doesn't know what it's like to have your spirit broken once i ...more
Beth
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Lisa Scottoline's books. She is just like me! She makes the ordinary seem hilarious! "My favorite food is calories". OMG!! That is me!! She too has painstakingly created a garden that ended up a mess - just like me. And she laughed about it. She has a Thing 1 and a Thing 2 - just like me. She is an amazing woman. I really admire her strength and independence. I will read every one of these books that she puts out. Finding humor in everyday life. Its something we all should do more of.
Shira Reiss
Aug 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I started to listen to this book on CD in the car on the way to work. The book is read by the authors, an Italian mother and her daughter who wrote vignettes about different thoughts and experiences they have had in life. The stories did make me laugh aloud, but after many short chapters, I grew bored and wanted to hear a more substantial book. If you want a very light book, nothing heavy, that may make you laugh, then you will enjoy this book.
Erin Barnett
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this as part of a first reads promotion. It is a witty, quick read. If you're looking for something deep and thought-provoking, this isn't going to fill that void. However, this is great beach or airplane reading. It's light enough that distractions aren't a big deal and each story is only a few pages long. There were times I know the author would have expected a laugh that just felt too contrived, but there were some funny parts.
Susan McChesney
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I usually love Lisa Scottoline's books. She's a local author for me. This book was a mishmash of short narratives by either her or her daughter. Some of hers were amusing. Some of them were her take on politics or our government. I really did not like her daughters at all. I did not find them interesting or amusing and frankly most the time I found them boring. I will continue to love and read Lisa's books. However I will steer clear of her collections of short stories.
Nicole Neal
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is my 2nd book by Scottoline and this one was quite a bit different writing style, this book was a mishmash of short narratives by either her or her daughter. Some of hers were amusing. Some of them were her take on politics or our government. I will probably steer clear of the short story books of hers but still have 2 others on my want to read list and will read them.
Catellis
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was really just o.k. for me. I enjoyed the daughter's stories much better than the mother's. The mom talks of the pressure to meet writing deadlines from time to time and I felt that explained many of her chapters.
Stephanie Hong
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I definitely recommend to any girl or woman. It is hilarious and quirky with some interesting jokes thrown in here and there. I extremely enjoyed the book; I could always depend on it to get my spirits back up!
Nan
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really funny. Interesting to note the similarities and differences between the writing styles of mother and daughter. It is an easy read. Short chapters that may have been newspaper columns as they each could stand alone. Definitely recommend.
Aditi
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, bri-2015
She calls her ex-husbands thing 1 and thing 2. LOL!
Christine
Dec 29, 2015 added it
Shelves: audiobook, memoir
Can't wait for the next one by Lisa and Francesca!
What a team! Awesome! Each and every story to make you smile or laugh!
Mary Jo Burke
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some of these chapters hit very close to home. Funny and true.
Martha
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I listened to this in audio-book format. It's actually a collection of short essays written by Scottoline and her daughter. For years, I've enjoyed the fictional works of Scottoline and was curious to check this book out. Our book club had planned to read one of her more recent collaborative efforts next month so this was sort of a recon effort before we committed to this book.

Needless to say, after listening to this book, I proposed we read a more traditional book.

It's not that this book was ba
Irene
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Scottoline is one of my favorite authors -- for both her fiction and nonfiction. I absolutely love her sense of humor and perspective on life, and this series of autobiographical snippets from her life is delightful, clever, funny. The kind of book to read a few chapters at a time, put aside for a bit, and pick back up without missing a beat. Have read all of these and look forward to the next ones (already published).
Cheryl
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
There must have been 75 - 100 short chapters -- each a short essay from Lisa or her daughter Francesca. Clock at night (pg 16 need to know time so... I can worry about how much sleep I'm not getting."

Pg. 22 ... get out of the house... before red zone of unwashed hair."

Urban Studies p. 164-166
Carrie
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Very entertaining book. Reminiscent of Erma Bombeck and others. I think listening to it as audio book read by the actual authors took it to the top level because they had the exact intonations for the words. Love the stories about Mother Mary. Made me feel good about myself after many of Lisa's chapters.

• Mike and Mike's Rules for Sports and Life
  • The Best of Miranda
  • This Is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith and Life
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
  • My Family and Other Hazards: A Memoir
  • Love's Promises: How Formal and Informal Contracts Shape All Kinds of Families
  • Access to Asia: Your Multicultural Guide to Building Trust, Inspiring Respect, and Creating Long-Lasting Business Relationships
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • The Wellness Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Your Guide to Getting Healthy and Improving Your Mood
  • CEOs Don't Cry
  • The World of PostSecret
  • Billy Collins Live: A Performance at the Peter Norton Symphony Space
  • Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older
  • The Cracker Queen: A Memoir of a Jagged, Joyful Life
  • Nest in the Wind: Adventures in Anthropology on a Tropical Island
  • The Killing of Karen Silkwood: The Story Behind the Kerr-McGee Plutonium Case
  • Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America
Lisa Scottoline is The New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 30 novels, including her #1 bestselling, AFTER ANNA. She also writes a weekly column with her daughter Francesca Serritella for the Philadelphia Inquirer titled “Chick Wit” which is a witty and fun take on life from a woman’s perspective. These stories, along with many other never-before-published stories, h ...more

The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman (9 books)
  • Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman
  • My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman
  • Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter
  • Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim
  • Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat?: True Stories and Confessions
  • I've Got Sand In All the Wrong Places
  • I Need a Lifeguard Everywhere But the Pool
  • I See Life Through Rosé-Colored Glasses (The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman, #9)
“I learned that protecting someone by keeping him away from me doesn't shelter either of us. I learned that feeling other people's feelings for them doesn't bring us closer, it only separates me from myself and my needs. I always thought being codependent meant being too emotionally glued to someone; I didn't realize the way I was doing it was setting me adrift.” 1 likes