Start by marking “Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles, #4)

Be Careful What You Wish For

(The Clifton Chronicles #4)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  31,242 ratings  ·  2,017 reviews
Bestselling author Jeffrey Archer's Be Careful What You Wish For opens with Harry Clifton and his wife Emma rushing to hospital to learn the fate of their son Sebastian, who has been involved in a fatal car accident. But who died, Sebastian or his best friend Bruno?
When Ross Buchanan is forced to resign as chairman of the Barrington Shipping Company, Emma Clifton wants
Published March 11th 2014 by St. Martin's Press / MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about Be Careful What You Wish For, please sign up.
Sharon Skellie You could! But you really need to gain the family history and what has lead to some of the decisions, feuds, etc over the years.
Tharindu Vishwanath yes. this is the 4th book of the series. I recommend you read from the first book to get the real feeling

·  31,242 ratings  ·  2,017 reviews

Start your review of Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles, #4)
Ujjawal Sureka
Series: Clifton Chronicles #4
Genre: Historical fiction, Mystery, Drama
Publication Date: March 2014

Book number four of the Clifton chronicles. Story is good, not many surprises in the beginning, but the plot gets a lot of new elements as it progresses, with the banking and the board election and the political elections. It didn't fail to amaze me.

A lot happens as the pace picks up, some new strong characters are introduced, a lot goes south, some intense planning, someones about to die! *ends in
Edie
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This saga is draggin out a bit too long for me. This is number 4 in the Clifton Family soap opera and there is at least one more to go. Strikes me that old Jeffrey is just making hay while he can. The story is very predictable but the most disappointing thing for me is the lack of connection with the characters. They are there, playing their parts but I really don't have any feeling for them one way or another. The worst part about this is that I'll probably read the next one too....!
Sam H
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have friends who will not read a series of books until they have brought them all. Having been frustrated at having to wait until 2015 to see how this ends I am beginning to see there point. That is how good this series of books it. I was frustrated at the end of the last one and I am frustrated at the end of this one. I hate waiting.

The story starts exactly where the last left us and continues the story of all the characters we have come to love in the Clifton Chronicles. As the novels progr
Nilesh
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Clifton Chronicles in the fourth episode first drifts then decays and by the end simply disintegrates into a purposeless record of a barely interesting family. It keeps trying to evoke reader emotions through the same story tricks used frequently in the previous books but they are no longer charming, if not outright annoying.

Multi-generation accounts are always tricky. The arrow of a usual such story requires an opening in the initial phase that meets some sort of a closure in the climax to hang
Kerri
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fourth book of The Clifton Chronicles, and just as gripping as the others. What I find funny is often I can predict where it's going, but I'm completely caught up regardless. I find myself reading this in massive chunks, desperate to know what's going to happen next. My investment in this saga is high. So far they have all ended on a cliffhanger, so I'm on the edge of my seat, hoping to have a copy of the fifth book in the next week or two!

I'm still reeling over one sadly inevitable outcome
Patrice Hoffman
HOW DARE YOU END A STORY THAT WAY MR. ARCHER!!!!

Jeffrey Archer forces me, and other readers alike, to wait a whole year before we can get the book 5 in the Clifton Chronicles?!?!?! That is unacceptable. Like it's predecessors, Be Careful What You Wish For ends with a cliffhanger that cleverly forces readers to buy the next in the series. I see what you did there Mr. Archer. And I'm not mad at all. Not one little bit...

Be Careful What You Wish For begins where leaves off barely allowing a moment
Rohit Enghakat
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
As usual Archer spins a wonderful tale and keeps the reader engrossed throughout. Continuing with the fourth installment of Clifton Chronicles, this takes the reader through the lives of the Barrington and Clifton families. Love, death, conspiracies and plentiful suspense in this book. As usual Archer ends the book at a crucial juncture. You are left wondering what happens next and tempted to pick up the next book in the series.
Diptakirti Chaudhuri
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I was in Class 7, my father recommended the first Jeffrey Archer novel I read - Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less. I did not quite understand the intricacies of the stock fraud but the reverse stings were spectacular. And I was hooked for life.
When you are nearing forty, you get used to quality of your favourite things deteriorating. Old haunts shut down. Favourite authors turn boring. Actors you love start hamming.

The Clifton Chronicles come as a welcome relief. Jeffrey Archer, whom I re
☮Karen
The books in this series all follow a sort of pattern, and I just knew that this of course would end with another cliffhanger where you don't know who in the Clifton / Barrington families will or will not survive. It's for that reason I never mention any of their names in my reviews.

This takes place in the 60s and the women have really come into their own. Simon Wiesenthal makes a brief appearance, along with the IRA, and I was also introduced to the British food product fish paste. Reading ab
Kathy Chung
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am disappointed by this book as I have expected more.

it seems that the story getting repetitious. previously Lady Virginia wants to destroy the family. in this book, it's Don Pedro turn.

for me Boardroom politics is getting a bit tedious. too much time was spent on boardrooms squabbles.

I felt that the aftermath of Sebastian and Bruno's accident was rather flat.

the part about Jessica and Clive was not intense enough.

maybe branching out and writing about various events in the life of the next
Jim

The soap opera that is the lives of the Clifton and Barrington families continues in this fourth entry in the Clifton Chronicles. The story opens in 1957 right where Best Kept Secret left off and answers the question of who survived the car crash involving Sebastian and Bruno. This is not a stand alone novel. You need to read the earlier books in the series to get to know the characters.

The Barrington Shipping Company has voted to build its new luxury liner, the MV Buckingham, but Don P
Matt
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Archer's heptalogy continues with the fourth instalment of the Clifton Chronicles. The novel opens hoping to resolve the major cliffhanger after Sebastian is in a major car accident and someone has died. Harry and Emma rush to the hospital to get the news, which changes their lives forever. Emma cannot sit by idly as Barrington Shipping's chairman resigns, leaving her the opportunity to fill the void. Don Pedro Martinez, a powerful new enemy of the Cliftons, uses his company shares in an attempt ...more
Ionia
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I loved the first couple of books in this series and the last one I found somewhat enjoyable as well. Sadly, by this book I no longer have much interest.

This book felt...lacking. As I was reading through the accounts of the daily life of this family, I felt like I was watching a rather lackluster reality show. The story is still well written and the characters are as real as ever, but I didn't feel like this book had the drive and excitement that the previous ones did.

I did enjoy getting to unc
Savvy
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm so disappointed with this book that it's heartbreaking for me, especially since Jeffrey Archer is one of my favourite authors. There's overuse of the same cheap tricks over and over, and the events becomes quite predictable. Even the cliff hanger at the end is not very intriguing, because there are only two possible resolutions, and the sequence of events following either of them is nothing to look forward to if the writing continues to be so insipid.
Definitely not worth the year long wait,
Charlene Intriago
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2014
A quick read and engaging story in the Harry Clifton chronicles. There are good guys and bad guys (really bad guys). What is that old saying - "Revenge is a dish best served cold"?? And who wins in the end? I had to keep turning the pages!
Nadim
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read which introduces a new character and focuses on a Boardroom meeting, deception, family struggle, and good vs evil. Turns boring sometimes but liked it.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Another Archer cliffhanger! One absolutely devastating event, I suppose I understand why it was necessary to the plot, but I was still not happy about it
Certain characters seem to get their comeuppance, but that's what's so satisfying about Archer. Will new ones be introduced in book five or will these old ones rear their ugly heads again?
The story continues to branch out from the immediate family members, which enriches the read. And of course the book ends with such a device to motivate you
Jane
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, an amazing book in this author's "Clifton Chronicles" series - #4. The suspense builds through the entire book and then on the last page (the same in each book), you are left hanging - impossible to imagine the fate of your favorite characters. I hate having to wait until sometime in 2015 to read the next book. All of the characters and their relationships have been so well written. It has been a joy to read each book (except nothing else in my life gets done).
I highly recommend that
Toni Osborne
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Clifton Chronicles book #4

The fourth novel in the Clifton Chronicles series picks up minutes where the “Best Kept Secret” left. Set in England and spanning the years 1957-1964 we follow the Clifton-Barrington family saga in their face off with Don Pedro Martinez, a smuggler who became a staunch enemy in the preceding book and is hell-bent to destroying them.

You definitely need to read the three first books before you get to this one. We do not have many details and the characters’ background
 Olivermagnus
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fiction, audiobook
42. [Be Careful What You Wish For] by Jeffrey Archer - 4.5 Stars

Be Careful What You Wish For is the fourth novel in the Clifton Chronicles, set primarily in England and spanning the years 1957 to 1964. It continues to follow the Clifton and Barrington families as they try to outmaneuver Don Pedro Martinez, an Argentinean smuggler who featured heavily in the prior novel, Best Kept Secret.

I don't recommend reading this book as a standalone novel because you would miss out on some of the history o
Manisha
Actual review: 3.75

“In any conversation, it's often something that seems quite insignificant at the time that gives you the piece of information you're looking for.”

The above quote is exactly how I would describe this series. The set up is slow (painfully, painfully slow), and then there’s this moment where lightning strikes, and realisations occur, things start to snowball and before you know it, you’re at the end of the book with another cliffhanger.

Yes, Mr Archer, we know how you love your c
Blaine DeSantis
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling edge of your seat book by Archer, as we are now on the 4th episode of the Clifton family chronicles. We have a lot of plot twists and some unexpected events that keep you on a roller coaster ride. We have death, bankruptcy, Barrington Shipping intrigue, deportations and more. Again, to get the full flavor of this series you really need to read them from the beginning in order to get all the subtle nuances. Once I was able to give this book my attention it took barely a day to f ...more
Joe Stamber
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, read-2014
Now on its fourth book, Archer's Clifton Chronicles seems to be on a downward spiral. I really enjoyed the first two in the series, but then the third wasn't up to the same standard - with one of the most significant reasons being the ill advised plot featuring the irritating Lady Virginia. Sadly, this latest instalment continues the trend, including a couple of unwelcome cameos by the aforementioned Lady V.

Much of the early part of Be Careful What You Wish For revolves around boardroom battles
P.A. Davies
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great tale from Archer ending with yet another marvellous cliffhanger. Yes, he may be slightly predictable with his writings and yes, some people don't favour the man's stories but for me, I find his novels easy and enjoyable to read.
"Be careful what you wish for" is the fourth instalment of the Clifton Chronicles and as usual, is both well researched and written in a manner that seamlessly links this and his previous episodes together, offering gentle reminders about what happened in b
Laurie
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Jeffrey Archer's novels. I guess my tastes have changed over the years. The last few I've read just have bored me. I don't care about the characters or the plots. Ho hum. And it wasn't until I got to the end that I realized it was one in a series of books, so it left off like the cliffhanger of a TV series, which made me feel duped. Nowhere on the cover does it say it's one of a series. Phooey to Jeffrey Archer. It's the last of his that I'll bother with. What's with these authors ...more
A Man Called Ove
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 After the first half, i thought of a 3/5 rating but things spiced up. "Shareef" educated gentlemen playing with the fool with a vengeance is a favourite theme of mine. Reminded a tiny bit of Archer's own "Not a penny more...".
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
Be Careful What You Wish For was fourth in historical fiction series, The Clifton Chronicle, that revolved around fighting new enemy of Barringtons and Cliftons they made in last book, Martinez. It was about family, friendship, saving family business, politics, drama, and above all vendetta.

Once again Barrington shipping company was attacked in this book and this time not just by Fisher and Lady Virginia but also by the most dangerous man in the country, Don Pedro Martinez. Book started where ex
Vikas Singh
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The fourth in the Clifton chronicles, the storyline continues with bad people ( Virginia, Alex and Adrian) plotting for the downfall of the Barringtons and good guys fighting it out. And the end just ends abruptly leaving you salivating for the next novel.
Dave
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeffrey-archer
I believe this is the 4th of the series and it has continued to be an interesting fictional story of two different families. I think this one has the 4th generation in their early 20s and it's full of mystery, romance, murder and intrigue. I'd highly recommend the series.
Tracy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been pretty captivated by this series. This is the first book in the series where I've ever felt at all that my mind was wandering. Even so the end was great and I've gone onto the next book already....

I do wish we'd get a chapter on Maisie. Haven't heard of her since book 2 or so....
Could not put it down, one of 4 great books 4 39 Jan 11, 2015 10:38AM
The wait for the next book is killing me! 2 20 Dec 05, 2014 04:00AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 15 Aug 06, 2014 05:09PM
Waiting.... 2 45 Apr 03, 2014 03:04PM

• Mightier than the Sword: by Jeffrey Archer (The Clifton Chronicles Series, Book 5) | Summary & Analysis
  • ‫خطايا الأب - الجزء الثاني‬
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • Satans sommer (Martin Juncker-krim, #2)
  • ‫غيوم داكنة‬
  • Nemesis (Nameless Detective, #37)
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)
  • The Guardians
  • Margarida Espantada
  • Mysteriet i Genbrugsen
  • Den sorte engel
  • Camino Winds (Camino Island #2)
  • Luis Suarez
  • Det bedste til mig og mine venner (Lars Winkler #4)
  • Vildskud (Rebekka Holm, #8)
  • Proxy
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories - Vol. 2
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married

The Clifton Chronicles (7 books)
  • Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles, #2)
  • Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles, #3)
  • Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles, #6)
  • This Was a Man (The Clifton Chronicles, #7)