Start by marking “Flat Water Tuesday” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  1,161 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
When documentary filmmaker Rob Carrey flies back to New York from a shoot in South Africa to salvage his relationship with his lover Caroline Smythe, he unexpectedly finds himself called back to his former boarding school following a heartbreaking tragedy. Despite having long ago buried the memories of the brutal year he spent at the elite Fenton School in Connecticut as a ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Flat Water Tuesday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flat Water Tuesday

Diane S ☔
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roadrallyteamb
I have just added this book to books that have made a big impression on me. Rob Carrey, from a small town and with parents who want him to do better in life than they had, accepts a scholarship to crew on the God Four, even though this means repeating his senior year of high school. Have never much thought about crewing, know very little about it, but after this book I know quite a bit. As with most sports it takes commitment and much hard work to really be good, so Rob with his three fellow tea ...more
Nancy McKibben
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like Ivy League setting/characters; who like Donna Tartt; who like literary fiction
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
By Ron Irwin

Flat Water Tuesday is a gorgeous book. Ostensibly about the senior year of a rowing team known as the God Four (only God can beat them), the novel is also an examination of teamwork, competition, pain, love and the weight of familial expectations in prose as smooth as the water the team sculls over.

A fifth year scholarship student, Rob Carrey, attends an exclusive Connecticut prep school with the single goal of rowing well enough to attract the attention of an Ivy L
Jonathan Wolcott
You Can Graduate Any Time You Like, But You Can Never Leave

Like its ancestors (A Separate Peace, This Side of Paradise, The Final Club, Art of Fielding), Flat Water Tuesday is the story of an outsider, Rob Carrey, entering an elite academic institution (Kent School in CT, thinly veiled in the novel as the Fenton School), who simultaneously struggles with, reviles, admires and exposes its various trappings. But FWT departs from its literary forebearers in a crucial way - it gives the reader a ful
☮Karen
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ron Irwin turns out to be quite the story teller and I will be first in line if he writes something else. Here we have two time periods, one 15 years prior to the other about a crew of prep school rowers known as the God Four preparing for the big race, and then one of them recalling that time as he anticipates a school reunion while also going through an emotional time with his girlfriend.

This book is packed with emotions, about how emotional highs and lows can affect us at different times of
Tara
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a goodreads first reads giveaway.

I didn't really know anything about rowing going into this novel, and I didn't need to; the writing is vivid/clear enough to understand what's going on, you get used to the more technical terms, etc. It's about a group of high school students essentially training for one very important race, and I can see how those with a background in rowing might get more out of this novel than I did, but ultimately this is a very human story that anyone
Lena Cox
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debut-novels
Successful relationships and winning teams mimic each other. They require trust. They require empathy. They, at times, require the surrendering of the self to better the union.

Flat Water Tuesday by Ron Irwin parallels relationships and teams in the telling of Rob Carrey’s teenage and adult life. The novel opens with a present-day letter sent to Rob from John Perry, one of his high school crew mates. The letter hints at events that occurred while Rob and John rowed in Fenton School’s elite rowing
Tuck
fast read novel of 'poor' outsider kid going to a prep school for his rowing prowess and the coming together of the team there, and its eventual dissolution. novel runs with a simultaneous story of 'poor boy' later in life and his work trying to build a relationship while also pushing it away. lots of detail on scull and crew and rowing, some prep school details, but mainly about choices we make and their impacts and the impacts others have on us, if we let them.
author lives and works in cape t
Jenneffer
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.M. Coetzee has a recommendation on the cover, so of course I picked this up. The story is so compelling, it flips back and forth between prep school rowers and present-day, they reunite under tragic circumstance. Great if you liked A Separate Piece, a good coming-of-age read.
Dianne
Rob Carrey is a young man with a chip on his shoulder against authority, but an amazing athlete. He is unpolished, a loner, who attends a high-brow boarding school and learns to work as part of a team on the school’s rowing team. The journey to his maturity is fraught with angst, rivalry and full of equally damaged teammates who all feel the pressure of being expected to be number one. The rich kid has issues, the lone girl on the team has issues, each member has their own personal demon that dr ...more
Shelly Johnson
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received the audio version thru a GoodReads FirstReads giveaway.

If you are into audio books, this is a MUST! Wonderful story, wonderful writing and FANTASTIC narration!! Even if you have never thought of rowing, or even care for rowing, I still this is is so much more in this book. The struggles they face as a team, and individually are very intense. You feel the struggle and the tension and fear dealing with "the big secret". I found myself wanting to listen more and more to learn the horrib
Helene
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was very interesting with the theme of sculling and rowing and the competitive nature of this sport. I never realized the amount of strategy and skill involved. I enjoyed the characters and the past and present of the main character, Rob Carrey. The author's writing style of leaving you in a suspenseful state at the end of a section or chapter and switching the story to the past life or present situation made for a page turner. I highly recommend this novel!
Betsy Mitchell
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page-turner with wonderful, clear descriptions. I came to care for the characters and revel in their victories. The story moves along like a wind rippling on the calm water and draws you into its curving path. The rowing element is very tangible and the conflicts within the sport create a tale that is both memorable and haunting.
Jeff Swartz
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't know anything about rowing, didn't think I wanted to know anything about rowing, but this book was terrific and I especially liked all the rowing stuff!
A coming of age story that will fit neatly on the shelf with all the greats.
I can see this being assigned in High Schools for years to come.
Byron
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional sport/coming of age novel I'm very pleased is now in feature film development under the title The God Four.
Mary
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book of summer reading 2013! Similar to A Separate Piece but even better.
Mike
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty typical story and one that's been done before: Think "Dead Poets Society meets The Emperor's Club meets Good Will Hunting on Water."
Talented working class kid comes to an elite program and has to overcome his own stubbornness and resistance to "The System".
There's an ultra-talented, ultra-rich team-mate who he butts heads with.
Tough but brilliant Coach.
Goofy side-kick.
There's a love interest.
Tragedy.
Triumph.
Sweet remembrance of youth.

This book has it all.

This is what I'd call a
Antonia
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as an audio book and since I'm sick day around listening for hours. I didn't expect much from this. I picked it just because it had a day of the week in the title and was available through my library app and so it for my needs for the Pop Sugar reading challenge category.
I actually really enjoyed it though. I knew what was going to happen before it did. The big tragedy wasn't hard to figure out early on but it didn't ruin anything knowing that.
Phyllis
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a debut novel for Ron Irwin and an excellent one. The story is about Rob Carrey starting with the year he spent at the elite Fenton high school and his experience on the rowing team. A reunion call the rowers back to the high school and to the memory of a tragic accident which Rob had managed to bury until then.

The novel carries the reader back and forth between current day and the life at Fenton. A well written book.
Laura Elle
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was way better than I thought it would be. The rowing parts were somewhat boring, but the rest of the story was gripping and beautiful. The way past and present met was absolutely incredible. I am glad I read this book, this is a great easy read!!
Mallory
I got this audiobook as an ARC at ALA in 2013 and listened to a disc or two before lending it to my friend. I could check a copy out at the library, but I don't remember being particularly thrilled with the plot as it was. This is a DNF.
Jennifer Steffes
It was okay, but I didn't really like it all that much. It can be harder to follow the story unless if you really pay attention to what is going on.
Barb
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story of university rowing team
David
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Mildly interesting coming of age story that involves a sport I don't really understand and definitely don't care about.
Jess Van Dyne-Evans
Morose. Morose and crowds of characters.
Susan Stonesifer
It was interesting revisiting a boarding school setting during a time when I was living at one. If crew and rowing have an appeal, this would be for you.
thewanderingjew
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flat Water Tuesday, Ron Irwin
Rob Carrey has just graduated high school after winning a trophy for sculling. This win has propelled him into the world of Fenton, a private school for well-heeled kids. He was from a modest background and he was offered a scholarship to this boarding school because of his rowing skill. They needed a good rower for their crew.
The best crew was called the G-d Four, and they were very good. If the Fenton team beat the Warwick team, each of the 4 rowers on the God Four
Ellie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. While I did find the book very gripping and engaging, it left me wanting more of an explanation/answers to the story. Why was Rob so angry? What was he running from?
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This is the second book I've read recently that I think of as 'chick-lit' written by men with male main characters."

I am challenged by the exquisite thought and insight that compelled this innovative reviewer to redefine the literary realm of romance; regardless, I shall endeavor to proceed with due reverence.

Ron Irwin is emphatic that this book is primarily a love story. Although I agree, the better definition upon reading and appreciating the novel would be that it is, in fact, a human story
Vivian
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 star read

The reader is introduced to Rob Carrey as an adult, living in Africa, and working as a documentary filmmaker. It's been fifteen years since he attended the Fenton School in Connecticut and his time spent there is best forgotten. Rob has buried his memories of the Fenton School until he receives a letter from a former schoolmate and crew teammate. The story then jumps to the teenage Rob and his introduction to the Fenton School.

Rob had received a scholarship to row at the prestigious
Robin
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been introduced to a whole new world. I've never given much thought to rowing, competitive or otherwise. But you guys, it's a real Sport, with a capital S! My daughter played soccer in high school, she made the varsity team her freshman year. But she did not put in nearly as much work, pain, suffering, as the kids in this book do. In fact, after reading about our hero's aching knees and blistered hands, I'm wondering if this is a young man's sport? Are these kids broken down and retired b ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Pls Add an Audiobook to My profile 6 18 Mar 05, 2013 05:04AM
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Smart Talk: The Public Speaker’s Guide to Success in Every Situation
  • Forgiving the Angel: Four Stories for Franz Kafka
  • Girls & Monsters
  • Water Music (Clare Hart, #5)
  • Divine Secrets of the Ta-Ta Sisterhood: Pledging the Pink Sorority
  • A Touch of Nerves
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • City of Promises
  • Sweet Tea for Two
  • When the Devil Doesn't Show (Gil Montoya Mystery #3)
  • Cold Crossover (Ernie Creekmore)
  • Writers of the Future: 29 (L Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future)
  • The Sculptors of Mapungubwe
  • The Jericho Deception
  • The Moon and Beyond (Lunar Free State #1)
  • How Stella Saved the Farm: A Tale about Making Innovation Happen

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland