Start by marking “That Night” as Want to Read:
That Night

Read Excerpt

That Night

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  17,470 ratings  ·  2,245 reviews
They said she was a murderer.

They said she killed her sister.

But they lied.

As a teenager, Toni Murphy had a life full of typical adolescent complications: a boyfriend she adored, a younger sister she couldn’t relate to, a strained relationship with her parents, and classmates who seemed hell-bent on making her life miserable. Things weren’t easy, but Toni could never have
Published June 17th 2014 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about That Night, please sign up.
Maryn Sharp Objects and Dark Places, both by Gillian Flynn, have similar tones and subjects. Promise Not to Tell by Jennifer McMahon was also really good!

·  17,470 ratings  ·  2,245 reviews

Elyse Walters
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Library... Overdrive.....”Audiobook Available”
After reading Margitte ‘s great review...I checked my Overdrive app., and sure enough - I was able to download and listen to this book in seconds.
The library Overdrive continues to get better and better.
Any e-reader or audiobook lover not taking advantage of the easy-instant- downloading service ......is missing out on the easiest- cheapest way to select from a wide variety of books to choose from- with no financial or emotional investment.
Don’t l
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I usually like Chevy Stevens writing. I don't know what the heck happened in this one.
Toni is a young girl who is all in lurve with a bad boy named Ryan. They smoke pot, have sex and pretty much are the typical whiney teenagers. Her younger sister is perfect in every way. Then Toni has ticked off a major teen drama queen and the bullying begins. The thing is I liked none of the characters. None.

The first half of this book is written so childish that I almost DNF'd it. I kept on and it did som
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
I am now a Chevy Stevens fan. This is the second book I have read by her and will not be my last. I own three more of her books that I am really excited to read.

That Night was just the perfect read at the right time for me. What a fun, easy and enjoyable read this was for me.

Chevy Stevens delivers a gripping story of a murder with secrets, betrayal and heartache that had me feeling angry and sad but not weighing me down with emotions. With just the right amount of suspense and tension to keep m
Robert
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed to write this review, and it wasn’t because Jesus told me to. I just wanted to clear the air on that particular point, because a few of my proclivities and tendencies will be made abundantly clear over the course of the next several hundred words, and if profanity ain’t your cup of java, you may want to leave the building before Elvis does.

Sonofabitch, she’s back. I don’t know where she went for novels two and three. I can speculate, but I prefer to stick to the facts, since I’m a simpl
Margitte
Vancouver island, Canada.

I'm a little bit between the devil and the deep blue sea about this book. It was a great read, for sure! A young troubled teenager, getting involved with more mischief than she could handle lands up convicted of murder and spends fifteen years incarcerated. She always claimed she and her boyfriend were innocent, like everyone else in jail.

A system worked against them, until they finally had enough and fought back with nothing to lose.

All the characters in the book are co
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

1.5 Stars

I’m not going to waste much of my time on this, but I want to put something out there so you don’t waste much of your time on it either. My reading experience when it comes to That Night pretty much went a little something like this . . .

I fell victim (once again) to the Goodreads side margin adverts that had me clicking all the buttons required to put Chevy Stevens’ newest release on hold at the library. When That Night po
Debra
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
That night.......that night which changed everything for Toni Murphy.

The book opens as Toni Murphy is a thirty-four-year-old woman being released from prison. She and her high school boyfriend, Ryan have been wrongly convicted for the murder of Toni's younger sister, Nicole. Now that Toni is out on parole, she is an entirely different person. Prison has toughened her, made her stronger, made her harder, and changed the relationships with those in her life forever. No one believed her or her boyf
Mandy
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lisa
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book all I can say is read it you won't be disappointed thought it was better than Still Missing& that one I loved also
Frank Phillips
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really really enjoyed this one!! Absolutely not a dull moment, felt like this pacing was fantastic and it did not drag at all. Did this one on audio AND was actually surprised by the reveal! Couldn't recommend this anymore for those out there that love thrillers / mysteries!!
Erin
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Audiobook narrated by Jorjeana Marie 11h 16 min 18 secs
This is my 5th Chevy Stevens read and all her BC crime dramas always sweep me in. That Night is a bit of a slow burn.
Not that I minded because Jorjeana Marie(also one of the narrators in Those Girls)is a fantastic narrator. In the beginning, the chapters alternate between Toni's time in prison and the events leading up to her younger sister's murder. My willingness to sit and just enjoy the story battled my desperation to just find out
Patrice Hoffman
I don't know where to rate this title. I was so excited when I found out I was approved for this title that it was a little deflating when I actually sat down to read it. More on that later. I'd heard and read only raving reviews for other Chevy Stevens titles so I was more than anxious to start That Night when the time allowed.

That Night is the latest mystery suspense by Chevy Stevens featuring Toni Murphy. Toni's spent 15 years in prison for the murder of her younger sister Nicole along with h
Kelli
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I read Still Missing and for me it just okay, so I was hesitant to give this one a listen. The first part of the book was a challenge because it felt so YA, but it also seemed realistic, especially when dealing with all consuming high school love. I have said before that there is no love comparable to the first love of a high school boy. That was flawlessly depicted but I was horrorstricken as a mother (and former teen in love) to observe Toni's realistically cruel behavior toward her mother: th ...more
Nazanin
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, thriller, mystery
2 Stars

DNF @ 61%

I can’t read it anymore. Instead of focusing on the mystery of that night, it focused on the anger, hurting, temper, pain... There was too much pain for me. There wasn’t anything good on there. Most of the time I clenched my jaw so hard that my teeth ached. I didn’t like none of the characters, even Toni.
Sherri Thacker
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love all books by Chevy Stevens and this one was great!!! I just love her writing style and can't wait to read her other books.
Bren
I have read many of Chevy Stevens books. Some I liked, some I did not. This one I ADORED.

I am not going to do a plot summary on this one. Well..not much of one anyway. This book is about Toni, who was convicted, along with her boyfriend, of murdering her sister on THAT NIGHT. Now Toni is out of jail. She is bitter, jaded, grieving her sister, still caring about her ex boyfriend and wanting justice for her sister. Whoever the killer is , it isn't her.

I really connected to this story. One of my pe
Sharon
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5★

Toni Murphy was only eighteen years old when she and her boyfriend, Ryan were taken into custody for the brutal murder of Toni's sister, Nicole. They both claimed they were innocent, but trying to prove it would be difficult. Spending the next sixteen locked away years would be the hardest time of Toni's life. She would come across some of the meanest and hardest of women whom she knew to keep clear of, but that wasn't always easy.

Now aged thirty four, Toni is finally being released, but no
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
In high school, Toni wanted nothing more than to move out of her parent’s house and in with her boyfriend Ryan. Her mother constantly compared Toni to her younger sister Nicole, who was the well behaved child – the opposite to Toni’s rebellious personality. When Nicole befriends Shauna, Toni’s former best friend who now is set on making Toni’s life miserable, their relationship becomes strained.
Toni thought her life was challenging, but she had no idea how much worse it was about to get.  After
Susan Johnson
Nov 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
I got this book from Bookreporter.com which is a delightful place to read about books and knitting. I was please to receive this as I had liked her first book, "Still Missing" which has one of the best twists I've read in a book. Other than the setting, I would never know this book was written by the same author. This is drivel, in my opinion, with zero surprises and a mind numbing predictability.

The lead character, Toni, is such a grating and annoying person that you want to run when she comes
 Li'l Owl
Compelling! Sinks it's teeth in and never lets go!

My sister was never coming back and I was in prison for a crime I didn't commit.

Tony Murphy is rebellious and difficult teenager, always fighting with her mother. She and her younger sister, Nicole have always been close. Until.....

Tony and her boyfriend, Ryan, are about to graduate from high-school. And Tony can't wait. She's just trying to get through the next six months without any trouble. But trouble comes to her, in spades.

A small group o
Michael
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
At multiple points in the first half of Chevy Stevens' That Night, I found myself wishing the story would get to the night in question already and maybe get this novel moving forward.

Instead, the story of the falsely accused and convicted Toni Murphy and her boyfriend kept churning on and on, giving the reader details that didn't matter much in the question of who killed her sister and why or much in the way of character development for Toni. Early on, I got that Toni was a rebel, misunderstood
Wendy
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aug-14
Chevy Stevens is at the top of her game with her latest release "That Night".
18 yr old Toni and her boyfriend Ryan are accused and found guilty of murdering Toni's younger sister, Nicole. They spend the next 15 years in prison. Hardened by the system, Toni wants to start a new life after her release, but Ryan is determined to prove their innocence. Though wary of violating her parole, she knows the real killer must be found and brought to justice.
The story alternates between Toni's high school
Crystal Craig
I think I'm in the minority. 'That Night' was my first experience with the Canadian author, Chevy Stevens, and with a main character like defiant eighteen-year-old Toni Murphy, it was hard to enjoy this. She was so annoying that throughout the entire book, I felt like gouging my eyes out with a spoon. Yes, her life was hell - especially at school, but concerning her home life, with some communication and a little respect, things could have been better.

If I had the beauty of hindsight, I wouldn'
Nickyjen
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was so nerve-wrecking !!
I was angry most of the time! Not because this book was bad but because it was that good you were able to feel as desperate and angry as the main character.
I'm so glad it's over now haha.
Such a thrilling story I read it in 2 days just because I really wanted to know what happens.
For me this book definitely was a pageturner.

The only thing I was dissapointed about was still: HER MOM!!
What the hell was wrong with her! She should've forgiven her daughter or apologize fo
Lisa
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As far as suspense novels go, I'm giving this one 5 stars. WOW! I never wanted to put it down and I never saw it coming! I loved the character of Toni. You really get into her head. You're right there with her every step of the way just wanting her to clear her name. This was a great summer read. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes suspense without the gore. 5 stars!
Diana
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
In That Night we follow Toni, who is accused of murder. She tells about half of her story from the past leading up to the murder and the other half is told from current day after the murder has taken place. The points of view basically alternate back and forth from past to present but only given in Toni’s voice.

The chapters told from teenage Toni’s perspective were slow chapters for me. I felt the interaction between Toni and her mom was a little overdone. Also, Toni was portrayed as very immat
Myrna
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I'm so glad I read this book. What a read! It kept me interested and anxious for the conclusion. There was nothing surprising, shocking, or unforeseen but a well written book. I plan to read more of Chevy's books.
Judy Collins
Having read all of Chevy’s novels, delighted to have the opportunity to read an ARC of THAT NIGHT, otherwise, not sure I could stand the suspense of waiting.

Wow, what a night, “THAT NIGHT” was! Stevens is at the TOP OF HER GAME with this upcoming release -- her best novel to date! A page-turner and riveting thriller, which will keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end- you will not be able to put down!

THAT NIGHT is about one mysterious night, which changed the lives of three teens
Carole
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars My 1st Chevy Stevens book. Very good whodunit about a teenage girl who is having struggles with her parents, and is being bullied at school. She and her boyfriend are accused and falsely convicted of her sisters murder and sent to prison. This has some bad language, but it fit the characters situations. I recommend for a quick page turner!
Dana
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have loved all of Stevens' books and this was no exception. That Night was a page turner from start to finish and never dull in between.

• Hush Little Baby
  • Accidents Happen
  • Ruin Falls
  • The Kill Shot  (Jamie Sinclair,  #2)
  • Beautiful Maids All in a Row (Iris Ballard, #1)
  • Cold Girl (B.C. Blues Crime, #1)
  • Stray Bullets (Greene and Kennicott, #3)
  • The Walker on the Cape (Sgt. Windflower Mystery, #1)
  • Little Island
  • The Butcher
  • City of Ink (Li Du Novels #3)
  • Almost Gone
  • The Girl Who Went Missing
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)
  • The Last Breath
  • The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)
  • The Night Visitor
  • Justice for Sara
CHEVY STEVENS grew up on a ranch on Vancouver Island and still calls the island home. For most of her adult life she worked in sales, first as a rep for a giftware company and then as a Realtor. While holding an open house one afternoon, she had a terrifying idea that became the inspiration for Still Missing. Chevy eventually sold her house and left real estate so she could finish the book. Still ...more