Start by marking “The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)

The Dead Will Tell

(Kate Burkholder #6)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  11,725 ratings  ·  1,167 reviews
Everyone in Painters Mill knows the abandoned Hochstetler farm is haunted. But only a handful of the residents remember the terrible secrets lost in the muted/hushed whispers of time—and now death is stalking them, seemingly from the grave.

On a late-night shift, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is called to the scene of an apparent suicide—an old man found hanging from the
Published July 8th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Will Tell, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Desirée Boom
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Archer's Voice by Mia SheridanMaybe Someday by Colleen HooverCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe One by Kiera CassRaw by Belle Aurora
Best Books of 2014
3,490 books — 6,273 voters
Sworn to Silence by Linda CastilloPray for Silence by Linda CastilloBreaking Silence by Linda CastilloFalling to Pieces by Vannetta ChapmanA Plain Death by Amanda Flower
Amish Mysteries
86 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

·  11,725 ratings  ·  1,167 reviews

Start your review of The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)
Thomas
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for a book that grabs you by the throat and never lets go. The prologue describes a brutal home invasion, with robbers in search of Amish cash. Amish don't trust banks. The father is killed and the mother is kidnapped. Four of the children die in a fire. Over 30 years later, threatening notes start to be delivered to 3 men and 1 woman: "I know what you did." As you read further, you realize that these people were involved in the home invasion and somebody knows.
The person who is bent
Sue
I was so fortunate to win a copy of "The Dead Will Tell" (Kate Burkholder, #6) by Linda Costillo through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest. This novel has it all; mystery, suspense, murder, serial-killer thriller. This novel grabbed my interest right from the beginning and didn't let go until I read the last word.

Fourteen year old Billy Hochstetler and his little eight year old brother, heard something in the middle of the night. Billy goes downstairs to investigate and found his dutch parents at t
Mary Beth
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just love this series. It is one of my faves!

Highly recommended

My review is on the first book Sworn to Silence, which will give you in more detail what this series is about. Each book in the series is a different story that is a great thriller and mystery.
Barbara
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it

In this sixth book in the 'Kate Burkholder' series, the Police Chief investigates when a murderer targets pillars of the community. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

The book starts out with a horrific crime: a 1979 home invasion of the Amish Hochstetler farm in Painters Mill, Ohio. A group of teens break in to steal cash and the night ends with a family slaughtered, a mother abducted, and a lone survivor - a 14-year-old boy. Fast forward 35 years and the perpetrators of the crime, now r
Juli
The Dead Will Tell is the sixth book in the Kate Burkholder series. Kate is the police chief in Painters Mill, Ohio. She grew up Amish, but left the faith as a teenager. Now she's back, running the local police department. In The Dead Will Tell, Kate is investigating a string of bizarre murders. The victims were stalked first. All received notes accusing them of being complicit in a crime. The case somehow ties in with a break-in at an Amish farm 35 years before that resulted in several deaths. ...more
Liz
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m continuing to enjoy this series. Castillo’s strength is in the descriptions she paints. You literally feel you are at the scene. Note that some of these scenes are extremely graphic, so this is not a book for the squeamish.

This is the first of the Burkholder books I’ve listened to. The narrator does a very good job. And the book is told at a nice steady pace, so it makes it easy to listen and stay focused (important to me on the road). I figured out some aspects of the mystery early on but
Brandy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my freaking, flipping, Mylanta! Damn you, Linda and your Amish nightmares! I love you; but I also hate you because, I did nothing but read in my last 24hours.

The book said it best with, “Where’s there smoke, there’s fire,” and my friends this read has been ablaze -shining bright!!😂I’m a couple counties north from Holmes but the hotness from this read is surly still sending up smoke signals since it’s grand finale.

The Dead Will Tell, is a read that is so sick, so twisted, so warped, that I’
Susanne  Strong
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
3.5 Stars

Time is a Ticking when it comes to Murder in Painters Mill!

A body is found hanging from the rafters of a Barn. Evidence from a cold case is found on the body. Then another murder is discovered with yet another link to that same case, leaving Kate Burkholder and her team on a wild goose chase with the clock ticking.

Someone has a score to settle and it’s not for the faint of heart.

A fast-paced, suspenseful read that will keep you gripped to the pages, “The Dead Will Tell” is a great addi
Kaceey
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
No. 6 in the series. Oh how I love this!
Taking place in the Pennsylvania Amish countryside, It's a two-for-one.
You get a murder mystery wrapped up with an insider's look at the Amish culture.
Kate, the local sheriff attempts to solve a series of related homicides that have a common thread leading back to a horrific murder of an Amish family over 30 years ago.
Do you believe in ghosts?
Can the Ghost of the Amish mother be back seeking revenge or justice?
I highly recommend this series, from sta
Jim
The sixth book in the Kate Burkholder series and it keeps getting better. In many ways this reminded me of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. With an avenging ghost?

The story opens in 1979 with a home invasion of the Hochstetler family in Painters Mill, Ohio. A group of teens break into the home in the middle of the night. The Hochstetler's are Amish, pacifists, and don't use banks. Rumors have it that they have a lot of money stashed in the home. Easy pickings. Until things go horribly wrong with t
Diane S ☔
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Another series that I anxiously await the next and newest installment. A good mix of mystery, personality and personal relationships, and the Amish culture.

A look at an evil done to an Amish family in the past that has a high cost for the perpetrators in the future. The long and far reaching effects of hatred and revenge. A good, solid and quick read.
Carol
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Continue to enjoy this series. It would have rated 4 stars if I did not peg the murderer. Perhaps #7 will strike a better chord.
Sherri Thacker
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love this whole series that Kate Burkholder is in but this book didn’t pull me in like the others did. Not sure why but I just expected more. This is the 6th book in this series. I hated to not finish it but it just wasn’t holding my interest so I threw in the towel. DNF at page 172
Tina
This is an Amish Suspense Mystery, and this is the 6st book in the Kate Burkholder series. I have read and review books 1-5 in this series before picking this book up. I have to say I loved this book. I found the mystery in this book so well done. I love the characters in this book. The twist I really did not see coming, and wow... the twist was something. (*)
Brenda
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Four months previously, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder had moved into the farmhouse with State Agent John Tomasetti; their love had blossomed to the stage where Kate felt able to make the commitment. Tomasetti was still tortured by his past, but was coming to terms with those demons – that was, until one of the men responsible for his torment was released from jail on a technicality, walking free.

Confused and uncertain as to how to pacify Tomasetti’s anger and grief, Kate was torn when she was
Adrienne
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
4.5. Whoa! Another superb thriller with Police Chief Kate Burkholder; a police chief in a county that includes an Amish group. Kate herself having grown up Amish. Only to later leave the community.
A few years ago I would have thought the plot too outrageous to be Amish based. But since then a couple of outrageous Amish events have loosened my understanding of what could be feasible.
Well written, well paced and unputdownable.
Miss Ro
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Judy
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good mystery from Castillo concerning people from the Amish community. Police Chief Kate Burkholder, because of her background is able to bridge the gap between the Amish and the "English." Kate's love interest adds a roller-coaster experience to her life. I really enjoy these characters and the mysteries. ...more
Lena
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linda-castillo
I found the books by Linda Castillo at the library a few years ago. I've listened to quite a few but never in the right order. When I got Libraries 2go I started from the beginning.

I've listened to this book before but it was just as good this time.

Somehow Linda Castillo makes the people really come alive. By now I feel like a know Kate, John and the other people in Painters mill.
Maureen DeLuca
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a SOLID 4.5 read and I'm adding another 1/2 star because it is one of the best series out there. If, for some reason, you never started the Kate Burkholder series-- do yourself a favor and pick up book number one and enjoy the ride. Being that the characters are constantly growing and evolving it is best to start this series from book one ( IMO)

There isn't any more to say except " Great read Linda Castillo" and keep on writing!!!!
Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m glad I found this series while browsing new mystery shelf. Though it was #9 i saw so i had to start with #1. Catching up.
Lauren
The Dead Will Tell
4 Stars

When a man is found hung in his barn, Painter’s Mill Chief of Police Kate Burkholder naturally assumes that it is suicide until evidence on the body indicates foul play. Soon all the clues start pointing to a 35 year old homicide in which a man and his 4 children were killed and the mother disappeared without a trace. The discovery of a second victim suggests to Kate that someone it out for justice and has no qualms about how they get it.

A solid thriller with an exciting
Julie
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, vine, fiction
The Kate Burkholder series just keeps getting better! A string of murders is somehow connected to a horrific thirty-five year old unsolved crime. Could the victims be seeking revenge? I loved the ghost story element in this book (although I quickly realized that ghosts don’t leave footprints). Every time I thought I had things figured out, there were twist and turns in the plot that completely surprised me.

There is unrest between Kate and Tomasetti that added some angst to the overall story, bu
Pamela
Without fail Linda Castillo once again delivers a winner with "The Dead Will Tell," book 6 in the "Kate Burkholder" series; and what a stunning series this is. One of my favourites. I could write an in-depth review, but in all honesty there's nothing more I can say that I haven't already said in my reviews for the previous novels. Just that if you love reading novels full of mystery and suspense, you have to read this series. Her novels will grip you, and keep you engaged right up until ...more
Jess☺️
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 6 in this Kate Burkholder series and it just gets better each time I may even like this one better than the last.
This is a more full on hell bent on revenge book just how I like them and my god I never seen the ending coming the way it did.
A great series so far I can't believe it took me this long to find it.
Rae
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Dead Will Tell, the sixth book in the Kate Burkholder series by Linda Castillo, is about a 30-year-old unsolved murder in Painter’s Mill. When the dead seem to come back to life, tensions run high, and Kate Burkholder is on the case.

As with Castillo’s other books in this series, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was an exciting cat and mouse game, trying to figure out who the killer was before they struck again. The writing was impeccable, and the pacing was wonderful.

The Dead Will Tell ope
Wendy
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this 6th book in her Kate Burkholder series!
Tom
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This one was a solid 5 Stars.
Cheryl
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hochstetler farm is a sad haunted place the site of a family brutally murder 25 years ago. Kate is called to a murder and the clues go back to the family that was murdered 25 years ago. Kate’s boyfriend is having flashbacks to when his wife and children were murdered. An ending I didn’t guess.
Tammie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 stars. After reading the last book, and with the way it ended I was expecting Kate to still be worried about that secret from her past being discovered, but there wasn't any mention of it at all in this book. Instead, it's Tomasetti who has something fro

• The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • The Axe Ship (Nina Portland #1)
  • Kulmanden (Nina Portland #2)
  • Spøgelsesfangen (Nina Portland #3)
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau, #1)
  • Der Totenleser
  • Before She Disappeared
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • Murder in Plain Sight (The Brotherhood of the Raven #1)
  • De usynlige (Nora Sand #5)
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • All the Devils are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • Plain Murder (An Amish Mystery #1)
  • Mand uden ansigt
  • Butterfly Kills (Stonechild and Rouleau, #2)
  • Raum der Angst
  • Queen’s Gambit (Dorina Basarab, #5)
  • Deadly Cross (Alex Cross, #28)
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of

Kate Burkholder (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)