Start by marking “Strangled in Paris: A Victor Legris Mystery” as Want to Read:
Strangled in Paris: A Victor Legris Mystery

Strangled in Paris: A Victor Legris Mystery

(Victor Legris #6)

The coast of Normandy, France, 1894: A mysterious young woman is rescued by an anonymous man after a deadly shipwreck. Paris, a few months later: The body of a well-dressed woman in a velvet mask is found in the abattoir district of La Villette in Paris. Next to the brutally strangled corpse, the drunk watchman—who witnessed the crime but was too terrified to intervene—fin ...more
Published July 1st 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Strangled in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangled in Paris

David
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This caught my eye in the library, and when I saw that the author is really two sisters who are secondhand booksellers on the Seine (aka "bouquinistes"), naturally I had to check it out. Then I read that the detectives own a bookshop in Paris, so that really sealed the deal. The best part was when the story moved to Paris and it became clear that much of the action was taking place in the street where my friends live. So I can picture the street, and it probably looks pretty nearly the same as i ...more
Toglietemi tutto, ma non i miei libri
Questa serie mi piace molto per la sua ambietazione molto curata.
Si ha come l'impressione di essere fisicamente a parigi!
Mi piace anche il fatto che alcune parti siano rimaste in lingua.
Il caso, come sempre, è ingarbugliato e si allaccia al passato.
Altro lato interessante del libro è che le vite dei protagonisti principali trovano largo spazio nella trama.
Sonya
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really, really wanted to like this book, but in the end, I can't say more than it was just okay. As i was reading, I couldn't escape the feeling that I was late to a party where everyone else already knew each other very well--and I suppose that, given it's part of a series, that ought to be expected, but my fave pulp serial mystery men and women never leave me feeling so much on the outside looking in, so to speak.

As an editor, I felt like cutting at least half a dozen characters and reworki
E Vikander
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Victor Legris, a photographer/bookseller, sleuths around the streets of Paris during the 19th century occult craze in search of the murderer of Lulu Fontane. Unlike most mysteries that have an air of dark weariness, this spritely delight of a novel is a fun read, despite the depressingly dark deeds at the root of this tale. Robust, sybaritic characters burst with life as the mystery unfolds at a brisk pace. Even the insults are snappy, “either you are a simpleton, or you have a singularly eccent ...more
Cecilia
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
A fin de siecle mystery set in Paris. Two Parisian booksellers set about to solve the murder of a young woman. This is the first book I have read in this series which featured Victor Legris as the crime solver. I truly enjoyed the historic scenes of the Normandy coast, the Paris abbatoirs and the poorest Paris neighborhoods. However, I felt I would have connected to the main characters better had I read an early book in the series.
Sara
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My fave so far. Our bookseller-sleuths & their families are changing in interesting ways. There's a mysterious beginning & a satisfying ending. Along the way we learn about the Catch-22s for women in 19th century France - horrific. At risk of a spoiler, I'll say no more.
Vanessa
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This series, unfortunately, has never caught my imagination or fully captured my attention - this one especially felt like homework. Why? I have no idea - perhaps the florid dialogue? It's a solid, final pass for me.

I received in ecopy from the publishers and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I'll admit that I found this one difficult to read. After several affluent people in Paris, newlywed Victor Legris takes up the search for the killer. A pendant of a black unicorn plays a role.
RustyShack
Jan 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
First pages: Man rescues a young woman, nearly drowned, then sexually assaults her while she’s unconscious. This is presented as being unproblematic. DNF
Marts Mignolo
È carino ma non è all'altezza dei primi secondo me, i personaggi nominati sono molti e non vengono approfonditi tutti bene, è un po' affrettato. Anche la sottotrama dei protagonisti è poco sviluppata.
Emma
VERDICT: Nice evocation of the setting, but too convoluted and many characters to be fully enjoyable.

my full review is here:
Erin
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm a huge Francophile. I've spent months in Paris, I take French lessons, and have read countless books about and set in France and Paris, fictional and historical, including the previous five or six books in this series. If anyone is supposed to like these books, it's me.

Unfortunately, they just aren't that good. I don't know whether to attribute the poor writing to the translation or the fact that they are written by two sisters or a combination of both, but the stories have gotten progressiv
Alex Reborn
Apr 10, 2016 added it
Shelves: netgalley
I tried, but this is just not working for me. The description of the book seemed very interesting, but after reading one third I just gave up. There are sooo many facts regarding the late 19th century just thrown at the reader... Names of people known from history are all put together in different circumstances and this strategy doesn't actually add anything to the story, even if the dates match. It's basically an encyclopedia of the period put together in a fictional story.

Next, there are nume
A.N. Mignan
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, history
What a disappointment. The beginning was so great: A storm in Normandy and a boat that sinks on the horizon, a woman found half dead on the beach, saved by an old hermit with a troubled past. The man finds the woman's secret journal. She's back from a long journey in the US. He decides to follow her to Paris after he has saved her life. Then, of course, murders start and the members of the Elzévir library are on it. To add to the mystery, there is the black unicorn and people searching for the p ...more
Martina Sartor
La descrizione della Parigi fin de siècle, è il 1894, è impeccabile e fa immergere il lettore perfettamente in un'atmosfera affascinante dove era normale incontrare personaggi come Emile Zola, Claude Débussy, il doganiere Rousseau.
Ormai ai personaggi sono affezionata e mi piace lo spazio sempre maggiore dato a Joseph che è davvero simpatico e 'figlio del suo tempo'. Ora devo andare avanti col seguito e sapere del bambino che deve nascere.
Il giallo? Ma questo libro non si legge solo come giallo,
Alain
Ce livre est bien meilleur que le premier que j'avais lu du m?me auteur "Myst?re rue des Saints-P?res". L'inrigue est plus int?ressante et plus fournie. La description de la soci?t? parisienne et des conditions de vie ? cette ?poque est fouill?e. En conclusion, un bon moment de lecture pour se divertir.
Leyla Johnson
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book a little hard to get into but having done so, I enjoyed the two storyline interweaving as they did, being a romantic at heart I loved the ending. The translation was good and the period of the times was really bought out, I almost felt that I was there. A book to savour
This book was provided to me in return for an honest and unbiased review
Susie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With this series of mysteries by Claude Izner (pseudonym of 2 sisters who own a bookstore in Paris) I found myself much more interested in the characters lives and their interaction with each other--than i did in the mystery itself.Gave an excellent picture of life in Paris in the 1800's.
Leonieke Aalders
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
With each Claude Izner novel, it takes me a few chapters to really dive into the story, but when it does? Magic!

Revenge is a dish ...

... that will bring people into problems they could never have imagined.
Kate S
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
This seems to be a middle book in a series. I should probably read them in order if I choose to continue. There was plenty of action in the story, but I found the characters did not come to life for me.
Tiffany
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good one in the series!
Joanne
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
loved it .. a really good read. couldn't put it down.
Jemathomp
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoy this series-great characters.
Jessica Davis
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting adventure through Belle Époque Paris.
Sarah Zareva
Oct 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Chatelet Apprentice
  • Detroit Shuffle
  • Skating Under the Wire (Rebecca Robbins, #4)
  • Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses (Dandy Gilver, #7)
  • Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910
  • Carnages
  • The Seventh Trumpet (Sister Fidelma, #23)
  • Never Laugh As a Hearse Goes By (Penny Branigan #5)
  • Shadow of the Alchemist (Crispin Guest, #6)
  • Crooked Numbers (Raymond Donne Mystery #2)
  • Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)
  • Miss Fortune (Allie Fortune Mystery #1)
  • Murder as a Second Language (Claire Malloy, #19)
  • Miss Dimple Picks a Peck of Trouble (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #4)
  • Elihu Washburne : The Diary and Letters of America's Minister to France During the Siege and Commune of Paris
  • Claws of the Cat (Shinobi Mystery, #1)
  • The             Rome Affair
  • Hearts of Sand (Gregor Demarkian, #28)
Pseudonym of Liliane Korb (1940) and her sister Laurence Korb (1951) known as well as Laurence Lefèvre.

Victor Legris (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Eiffel Tower (Victor Legris, #1)
  • The Père-Lachaise Mystery (Victor Legris, #2)
  • The Montmartre Investigation (Victor Legris, #3)
  • The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)
  • The Predator of Batignolles (Victor Legris, #5)
  • Rendez-vous Passage d'Enfer (Victor Legris, #7)
  • La Momie de la Butte-aux-Cailles (Victor Legris, #8)
  • Le Petit Homme de l'Opéra (Victor Legris, #9)
  • Les Souliers Bruns du Quai Voltaire (Victor Legris, #10)
  • Minuit, Impasse du Cadran (Victor Legris, #11)