Start by marking “An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments” as Want to Read:
An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments

An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments

This book is aimed at newcomers to the field of logical reasoning, particularly those who, to borrow a phrase from Pascal, are so made that they understand best through visuals. I have selected a small set of common errors in reasoning and visualized them using memorable illustrations that are supplemented with lots of examples. The hope is that the reader will learn from ...more
Published 2013 by Creative Commons BY-NC

Start your review of An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments
Darwin8u
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
-- Richard P Feynman

description

I bought this book shortly after I bought Randall Munroe's Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words and What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions and at the same time I purchased Joyce's The Cats of Copenhagen. So, I guess I was going through a nerd graphic need for pictures with my words.

I've always liked logic, books on logical fallacies, d
Anton
Oct 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books about argumentation I’ve ever read. But, apparently, I’m the only one to think so, since many people say this book should be on every school curriculum. Let me explain why this would be a disaster.

First, although this book can be downloaded freely (https://bookofbadarguments.com/) and is nicely illustrated, it would be a terrible way to introduce children to the study of reasoning. The main reason for this is that the subject is introduced with a section titled ‘Definition
Becky
This book is not at all what I expected. When I saw it online, I thought it would be a cute and quirky little book illustrating logical failures, kind of like Cracked.com did with its article on internet argument techniques. But this was not really that.

Yes, it's a little book and it's illustrated, but it's not really as successful as it tries to be. It's both too complex and too short, so it makes a lot of logical leaps, I think. It attempts to briefly explain concepts that require a good bit
Yousif Al Zeera
The book is aimed at the public who have no or little knowledge in logical fallacies/cognitive biases. The language used is very simple (suitable for non-native English speakers, but anyway the book is translated into 17 languages just in case).

I actually liked the simplicity as these type of subjects (logic/logical fallacies/cognitive biases) are usually found written in complicated language. Even the examples used are very simple and most are common to everyday life.

The big plus in Almossawi's
Tim The Enchanter
an entertaining and basic guide to types of bad arguments. In my opinion, a must read for the avid Facebook "expert". This is by no mean an academic study on the subject but really just a basic primer.
হাঁটুপানির জলদস্যু
This was awesome! Please go to https://bookofbadarguments.com/ and read it, and spread it. ...more
Hawra habib
The book discussed different types of argument fallacies, arguments that we encounter every other day but yet we are unaware of it.
Although insightful, I didn`t really get how can I benefit from solely knowing about the types of arguments.
Nonetheless, the illustrations were nice , some of them were hard to relate to the text but in general it was a light book that requires a second reading I guess.
Peter Derk
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: petestopof2015
I wish everyone would read this before the upcoming election. Because my god, this thing reads like a preventative guide for most, and a tactics manual for political debates.

Here's my impression of presidential debates:

Moderator: Candidate Buttface, tell us about your opinion on immigration.

Candidate Buttface: I'll tell you all you need to know, which is that my opponent, Candidate Fartface, has the same opinion on immigration as our current president, President ButtButt. And look at the state
Onaiza Khan
It really wasn't what I expected. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone mostly because I felt it was quite hard core and kinda pointless. Although the illustrations were really great, hence the rating.
Fatima Ali
The book talks about the ways for argument in a particular discussion, and how people react to different opinions by different techniques.

As I understood, that it is the output of years of ongoing learning and personal experience. The writer listed many techniques and supported by examples and quotes from different placed (Books, TV, media ..etc).

Many of these techniques are being implemented unconsciously by human, the writer merely listed and named them accordingly. Personally, I loved the i
Mel
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gives a nice overview of all kinds of bad arguments, but only scratches the surface.
I found this still to be helpful, though.

Lots of these invalid arguments are used constantly and everywhere. There wasn't anything I was surprised by here but it's good to concentrate on basic topics from time to time, I believe. I don't want to make bad arguments myself and I want to be able to find them in other people's reasoning easily.

The illustrations are nice, the examples could be more relatable, so
Anna L  Conti
Ali Almossawi's book, Bad Arguments is hard to categorize, and hard to place in the bookstore. I am still working my way through this slim, but dense, reference book. It's more than it appears to be at first glance.

It is neither a children's book, nor a facile review of the topic (improving your ability to clarify thoughts and analyze arguments.) Each page-illustration contains condensed, effective tools for "the analysis and communication of ideas" - a subject worthy of the necessary reflection
Davonna Juroe
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Asking the Right Questions: People who liked A Guide to Critical Thinking
Shelves: non-fiction
Brilliant book that is accompanied with conductive illustrations.

The importance of knowing about logic fallacies is summed up nicely in Almossawi's Final Remarks, "I hope that you also leave with a realization of the dangers of flimsy arguments and how commonplace they are in our everyday lives."

Hear, hear!

The book is available for free on the author's website along with a request for donation: https://bookofbadarguments.com/

Not to be missed.
HBalikov
Even though the illustrations are cute, this isn't a book for children. So, who is it for?

I never intended to take a course in logic. This is a casual romp through the world of illogical thought. It's nice to be reminded how easily we can be led astray. The best use so far, parsing the words of our political candidates. Already today, I can categorize the bad arguments of three presidential candidates.

Fun, and useful, just not definitive.
Gina
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Gina by: Wendy
With the turn political discourse has taken, I feel like this should be required reading in high school (if not earlier). Even when the written explanations are a bit dense, the illustrations help clarify and offer context to the concept. Also, they're cute, because animals, so that's a plus.
Christine
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
This short little book is a good look at some of the most common fallacies. It has good use of illustrations and does a very good job conveying the information.
Andre Simonsen
This is the kind of book that takes only one sitting to finish and makes you an overall better person for having read it.

10/10 recommend.
Wendy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, hardcover
This was very enjoyable. The illustrations were really cute and the explanations were clear. I already knew some of these fallacies, but it was nice to have other ones explained.
Heidi The Reader
I'm married to a former debate coach and picked up this little book to try to understand the workings of his mind. It helped but there's really only so much one can do to really empathize with a partner who loves to explain to folks why they're wrong on the world wide web. :)

An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments does a fairly good job of taking an extremely complicated subject and making it understandable, but this isn't a simple read. I'd recommend it for high school and up because of the vocabu
Colona Public Library
This book is a really good introduction to logic and recognize bad arguments. It has a ton of common everyday examples. I recognized these arguments, but I didn't know they had names. It was a pretty fun and short read. The illustrations are pretty cute also! ~Ashley
Kishor
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the book did shed light on different kinds of argumentative fallacies, the examples were pretty superficial. It would have been interesting to get some more real-life analogies for each type of bad argument.

The illustrations were great, though. Kudos!
Jimmy
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In high school, one of my favorite classes my junior year was US History AP. And there was one special lecture I remember that required all of us to readjust our thinking as we summarized and analyzed and critiqued such famous works like the Declaration of Independence. We learned the art of fallacies, and the different ways that it could be played out. We learned of the different ways that statements could be interpreted. And from then on, I learned a valuable skill in decoding and understandin ...more
kartik narayanan
Apr 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read more reviews at my site https://blog.digitalamrit.com

I happened to see Ali Almossawi's AMA about his new book on Reddit. It seemed interesting and so I explored the author's book further. I started reading his first book - this one. The premise showed promise - An illustrated book to explain logical fallacies to newbies. It is a short read - about 15 minutes.

But, I am disappointed. The illustrations are not explanatory - rather they give an example while looking whimsical. The accompanying
Chris  - Quarter Press Editor
I'd hoped to use this in my First-Year Writing courses, as I always like to do a section on logical fallacies. However, though there's quite a bit to like--seeing as it covers a lot of ground and gives some nice, real-world examples--the writing itself is a bit dry. Especially for an "illustrated guide" that's pulling inspiration from ALICE AND WONDERLAND, I assumed the prose would be a bit more playful. But while Almossawi's prose is easy to read, it's rather lifeless at times.

I might not be us
Kamal
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I teach a university class called "Introduction to Composition and Argumentation". The class has freshmen students work through the rudiment of sound reasoning, critical thinking and eloquent writing. Generally speaking, I find that most students are pretty terrible at all three of these. It is not entirely their fault: our culture and our educational institutions punish those who question and reason from sound positions. I have spent a good part of my working life undoing the intellectual cance ...more
Kris
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
Adorable little book that explains fallacies simply and quickly. Love the style, layout, and old-timey feel; he even slips in a few sly jokes. Of course, some subtleties of these arguments are probably lost since they have been reduced to so simplistic a form. But I don't see why it wouldn't be good for beginners.

Would love to see and own this in print form someday. View it for free here: https://bookofbadarguments.com/?view=...
❂ Murder by Death
A book I'll enjoy referring to now and then, if only to remind myself not to fall down the slippery slope of logical fallacies.

Only slightly wordier review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/124975...
Ann Keller
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, children-s, comedy
This is a great way to look at some of the most common arguments. Humorous view. Good choice as a gift for that guy who seems to have everything.
Arnaud
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun and short read ^_^ It was refreshing to read about the most common argumentative falacies, especially in a readers friendly format sampling pertinent examples ans funky illustrations :D
Kayson Fakhar
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
easy to read and easy to understand. great book to start logical fallacies

• A Rulebook for Arguments
  • White Spaces Missing Faces: Why Women of Color Don't Trust White Women
  • Radical Alignment: How to Have Game-Changing Conversations That Will Transform Your Business and Your Life
  • Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words
  • The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn, #3)
  • A Sombra da Inocência
  • Mastering Logical Fallacies: The Definitive Guide to Flawless Rhetoric and Bulletproof Logic
  • QI: The Sound of General Ignorance
  • The Art of Logic in an Illogical World
  • You Have to Fucking Eat
  • Shiksha: My Experiments as an Education Minister
  • Se Tudo Der Errado Amanhã
  • Anti-Pluralism: The Populist Threat to Liberal Democracy
  • The Poker Face of Wall Street
  • Beyond Numeracy
  • Traders, Guns & Money: Knowns and Unknowns in the Dazzling World of Derivatives
  • Mathematics and Humor
Ali Almossawi is the author of An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments, a book on computational thinking, and The Point of Pointless Work. His books have been read by 3 million readers, translated into 20 languages, and have sold over a quarter of a million copies in print. He lives in San Francisco with his wife and daughter.

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...
“The ability to analyze others’ arguments can also serve as a yardstick for when to withdraw from discussions that will most likely be futile.” 4 likes
“You can’t threaten an atheist with hell, Peg. It doesn’t make any sense. It’s like a hippie threatening to punch you in your aura.” 4 likes