Start by marking “Save with Jamie” as Want to Read:

Cook clever
Waste less

120 money saving meals
Hardcover, 1st, 287 pages
Published August 29th 2013 by Penguin Books (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Save with Jamie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Save with Jamie

Start your review of Save with Jamie
7jane
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
(I think this is a good companion book to the Jamie's Ministry Of Food/Food Revolution-book; for us who want simple and towards-cheaper-end food, the two are essential, though MoF/FR is what I'd get first.)

The focus of this book is on quality, tasty food on a budget (not the leanest budget, but pretty close, and note my comment above). The categories are: Veg, Chicken, Beef, Pork, Lamb, Fish, plus some bonus recipes. At the start there is talk of the fridge and pantry contents (what the author
Lab
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Recipes are ok, the saving part? Well, not so much. I have a very comfortable income and this is about my Level of cooking and ingredients - to be more creative with your leftovers, yeah. Saving, as in, you're-living-on-the-breadling-saving? Hear me laugh.
Rebecca
Yet another addition to Jamie's cookery empire. Bought this for Mummy for her birthday as she asked for it, even though she often says that she doesn't have time to try out new recipes. So there's a fair few recipes that I'll try on her behalf...

The concept of this book is quite good and sensible, but not exactly groundbreaking - I swear at least every other cookbooks I've read from the last few years rhapsodises over doing a big roast and then using up the leftovers in other meals... And as
Jules
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I have a few cookbooks by Jamie Oliver. He's definitely my favourite chef, and I love watching all his cooking shows on TV. This book has some great recipes and interesting ideas. Definitely one I'd recommend if you're trying to cook on a budget, and especially if you want ideas for making takeaway style meals at home, saving you a small fortune.
MargeryK
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I think this is week three of 'Save with Jamie'. We started with the Mothership Roast Pork for week one, then the Roast Chicken and this week the Brisket of Beef, and really, it has helped streamline the shopping budget. One of his key tenets is that you cook a roast on the Sunday and then use leftovers the following week. His leftover recipes are unusual and tasty and perfect for cooks who (for instance) perhaps don't know how to create a chicken filling for a pie from leftovers.

We've always
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Jamie, he can do no wrong and I'll buy pretty much anything he writes. We've already used the Roast Chicken recipe and one of the leftover recipes that go with it. The whole idea is very useful, especially as we're a family that have been stuck in the rut of using its leftovers in their original form - as the meat and three veg it started out as - which isn't always appetising two days later, but changing the base ingredients into another meal altogether gives you a different meal that ...more
Happybutterfly Prestel
Mar 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not good.

Out of all the Jamie books I felt cheated when this title arrived from Amazon. If you can cook or have even the slightest ideas about recipes and food in general, stay away from this one (Jamie Oliver has plenty good cookbooks better than this one). Not a good moment in my Jamie fan experience.
Emma Bothwell
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is it weird to sit down and read a cook book? I'm not sure, but either way this volume contains great tips for eating well on a low budget (and obviously gives some great recipes, as well - all of my family are huge Jamie Oliver fans, the food is always so good). I also loved how this book contained some more general kitchen and cooking tips - how to make your own vinegar out of left over wine (while also acknowledging that left over wine may be a rare thing to come across), how to make your own ...more
Claire
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I drooled over the recipes, and copied out more than a few (particularly some creative vegetarian or otherwise vegetable-based recipes), but the book does not accomplish its goal: saving me money. First, there are very few tips beyond the obvious - actually, there were very few tips, period. Second, the tips are simply that, not teaching you to truly follow concepts in designing your own meal plan to save money. Third, there is not any explanation for how a recipe saves money, so you must just ...more
Katie Webb
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Jamie's new book and companion TV series are another great round of ideas. With all of the concerns about food wastage, it is wonderful that he provides some great ways to use up leftovers, especially large roast dinners. Having said that, it does mean if you want to start something from scratch you have to either make something comparable to the roast or try to find a way to cook your meat before starting off. That isn't that terrible, but it does mean many of the recipes have the same vibe. ...more
Charley Reay
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great guide for saving money on groceries as a meat eater, brilliant varied recipes that all taste great. We've saved loads on our grocery shop, and we waste a lot less than we used to as well. I often find budget cookery used uninteresting, old-fashioned ingredients or is almost vegetarian - my husband only considers food a snack if it's meatless so these sorts of books don't get alot of use!
Vanessa
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to, cooking
If you already have a Jamie Oliver cookbook or two, you probably don't need this. I do really like the concept, because I'm someone that is a bit fanatical about using up leftovers. I'm going to keep it around for the suggestions for leftover chicken. I liked the idea of the chicken chowder, but it definitely needs a more seasoned stock than he recommends. I'm not a red meat eater, but the Beef Rendang went over very well and helped me get rid of some brisket I ended up with.
E
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am an experienced and good cook and fairly skilled at using up leftovers. Even so, I have learned from this book and will continue to use it in the same way I use most cookbooks: as a jumping-off place for my own improvisations.
Mia
Aug 12, 2014 added it
Shelves: books-i-own
Got to love Jamie. As I will soon be moving houses and buying a whole bunch of new appliances, I especially liked the first few pages, which outline how to organise your fridge, pantry, and what appliances, etc. you will need.
Kirstin
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Christmas present, I love the opening pages and certainly a great collection of recipes and what to do with leftovers. Especially love the pickled veges bits...
I have never used this book. I'm unsure why but we just don't do leftovers.
Ellen
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an enjoyable book to read with many fun recipes to make, including many excellent vegetarian recipes. It inspired me to make small batches of pickles, rather than larger batches. There are many recipes I have yet to try I it, all the ones so far have been excellent.
Just_me
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-book, tv
So glad I was brought this book as a pressy :).

Typical Jamie book - good recipes with great photos. As an economy cook book a few recipes are out of the price range of daily budgeting but with a few adaptions with items I can afford I can't wait to test some of the recipes
James Targett
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I haven't used this quite as much as the Jamie's 15 and 30 minute meals. I also got caught out by the longer prep time - always RTFM! I like it, but don't think I will be using it for all my family meal planning and budgeting.
Tracey
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not sure about the saving - however great recipes and my go to cook book. Live his book but this is my favourite by far to date.
Daisy
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! We've made 2 of the recipes to far & I'm making 3 more next from the 'mothership' roast chicken I'm cooking up tomorrow.

I highly recommend his Ministry of Food for new cooks too.
Kirsten Burnett
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some recipes here that I look forward to trying, plus great tips to avoid waste and nutritional values. As always with Jamie, a cracking book.
Sara Escribano
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very useful for saving money
Awilk -never sleeps-
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lots of recipes here that my family enjoyed.
Lifeisadance
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I enjoy Jamie's cookbooks. As usual has good photos. This one focuses on using up leftovers. I really enjoyed the Meatloaf with Spaghetti sauce.
Lindsay
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-book, 2013
I got this as a Christmas present and while it's got some interesting recipes in, it's not really my style of cooking. Although I do 'create' left over recipes quite a bit.
Beatté
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Everything I have tried has worked out and more than often looks like the photograph. Also like that I can break down ingredients to make for 1 person and the end result is still yummy
Lauren Taylor
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Currently obsessed with Jamie Oliver!
Carrie
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although the recipes are a little beyond me - I did make his chicken & spinach cannelloni and it turned out fabulous!
Cyndi Brannen
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: let-s-eat
I really enjoyed this book! Clever tips and some cool takes on everyday cooking, plus yummy Asian inspired grub
J Brandon
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Not truly a budget cookbook but sensible and the recipes are GREAT! My favourite of his books and the most used by far.

• A Girl Called Jack
  • Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook
  • Bon Bons to Yoga Pants (The Health and Happiness Society, #1)
  • Ultimate Home Cooking
  • Gordon Ramsay's Healthy, Lean & Fit
  • Illusions (Wings, #3)
  • Writing a Report: How to Prepare, Write and Present Really Effective Reports
  • FT Essential Guide to Writing a Business Plan: How to Win Backing to Start Up or Grow Your Business
  • Starting and Running a Business All-In-One for Dummies
  • Personality: How to Unleash Your Hidden Strengths
  • Mind Power: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • Running a Bed & Breakfast For Dummies
  • A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgliesh #2)
  • Pine
  • The Worlds of Prot (K-Pax, #3)
  • National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia: 2,500 Animals with Photos, Maps, and More!
  • The Golden Compass: Lyra's world
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel

James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, sometimes known as The Naked Chef, is an English chef and media personality well known for his growing list of food-focused television shows, his more recent roles in campaigning against the use of processed foods in national schools, and his