Start by marking “Scandal And The Duchess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
Scandal And The Duchess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6.5)

Scandal And The Duchess

(Mackenzies & McBrides #6.5)

A WOMAN’S REPUTATION

Scandal follows Rose Barclay, young widow of the Duke of Southdown, wherever she goes. It’s never her fault—honor bright—but newspapers love to write about the simple girl from Scotland and the much older duke, who died suddenly on their honeymoon. And now there is even more talk as the legitimacy of the marriage is being contested by the duke’s son and
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 160 pages
Published September 16th 2014 by InterMix

To ask other readers questions about Scandal And The Duchess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandal And The Duchess

Start your review of Scandal And The Duchess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6.5)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 My Scottish Rose Stars

First read 5/10/2015
Reread 8/31/2016

What a cute little novella. I liked the story and the main couple. Steven McBride, the hero of the book is Ainsley's brother and a Soldier. I liked Steven he was charming and sweet, but he didn't really stand out when put in a series full of yummy lickable Mackenzie men! Rose the heroine of the book, is the widow of the much older Duke of Southdown that died on their honeymoon. I also liked Rose but again she didn'
Sammy Loves Books
Oooh, How I love a Good Scandal!!
*****3.0 Scandalous Stars *****

d

Rose Barclay is the beautiful, young widow of the Duke of Southdown. She's homeless because her evil stepson has kicked her out of the Duke's home. To make matters worse, she is followed by the press, which act like modern day paparazzi, and accused of scandalous liaisons.

She obviously seduced
Lady Wesley
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh, how I love the MacKenzies and McBrides.

For those of you who may not be familiar with this series, the first four novels portray the lives of four big, braw, hell-raising Scots brothers: Ian, Mac, Cameron, and their eldest brother, Hart, the powerful Duke of Kilmorgan. Volume 6 features Cameron's son Daniel, and 5.5 is a novella about Lloyd Fellowes, the illegitimate son of the late duke who is recognized and accepted by his half-brothers. As his second wife, Cameron MacKenzie married Ainsle
Jennifer Ashley
Jan 10, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Scandal follows Rose Barclay, young widow of the Duke of Southdown, wherever she goes. It's never her fault--honor bright--but newspapers love to write about the young woman from Scotland, and the much older duke she married, who died on their honeymoon. The duke left her with a large widow's portion, now contested by his son, who kicks Rose out of the estate's dower house and uses it to kennel his dogs.

Rose does *not* need to be found with a large, handsome Scot passed out at her fe
Jacqueline's Reads
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
3.5 Stars

I’m not sure why this is a novella, considering the main character is a McBride. I’m glad it’s a novella because the story was okay. I liked that it focused on two new characters, but I found the storyline a little less whimsical. Maybe it’s because the two main characters aren’t rich or have no power. I guess I’m trying to say is that reading normal historical fictional characters is kind of dull.

It was a fast and easy read though.

Steven McBride is back for a f
Stacie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deliciously scandalous! Nice addition to the series. On to the next Mackenzie/McBride soon. Happy reading!
Laura the Highland Hussy
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander-books
Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

Guys! Another Mackenzies & McBrides story! Squee!

Steven McBride is an army captain on leave. He has a duty to perform that he’s been procrastinating, so of course, he is spending his time in London drinking and gambling.

In his incredibly drunken state, he can’t remember where he’s staying, so he sort of wanders around outside until he literally bumps into a beautiful lady.

Rose is being accosted by paparazzi, as
Bj
*I gave this Audiobook a C+ for the content and B- for the narration at AudioGals*

Scandals, games, and adventure abound in Scandal and the Duchess. I will say that, strangely for a book of its length, the underlying plot of this title started a bit slow. I did eventually warm up to it, especially towards the end, where some unexpected and intriguing suspense kicked in.

As tends to be the case in most novella length books (this one is only 4 hours and 40 minutes), the romance had a bit
Zoe
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is well-written, but is not terribly engaging. Rose and Steven are both approachable characters. Neither was harboring any dark secrets or painful past. They were thrown together by some accidents and Steven quickly decided that he would help Rose, suggested that they became betrothed for appearance. Normal drills follow, sex, other incidents and of course solving Rose's problem with her late husband's bequest.

I knew this book is a novella so I expected fast-forward in the relationshi
CC
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good edition. Sweet and fun. Stephen was a great hero. Although a potential alcoholic. While I liked Rose I got sick of hearing about her dead ex. They were barely married! And he was MUCH older.
Robin
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Escaping from a group of journalists who have been writing vicious stories about her and the fact that her husband died on their honeymoon, Rose Barclay crashes right into dashing Steven McBride. Assuming he is a homeless man in need of help, Rose takes him home and offers him shelter for the night. In the morning, when Steven learns that Rose has been ordered from her home by the new Duke, he decides to help her gain the inheritance her husband left her in his will.

This was a cute n
Cheesecake
Rose the Ex-Duchess and Steven the Soldier Captain.
Steven stumbles drunkenly into the most beautiful woman he's ever seen, just as she is cornered by journalists. While escaping she takes him with so he doesn't get trampled. And so begins their relationship. Steven comes across a little cold at first, but he's actually a knight in shining armor kinda guy. Determined to right the wrongs in Rose's life. He is Ainsley's (Rose the Ex-Duchess and Steven the Soldier Captain.
The Many Sins of Lord Cameron) younger brother.
Rose is sweet and amiable and rather feisty.
There are a couple mysteries. One is who the lady is that Steven must visit now that he's in London. The other is Rose's strange inheritance from her first husband, the Duke.
It's a novella, so the pace is faster but I didn't feel short changed in the story or romance. Both characters are open to romance with each other, so really it was just them getting to know each other as they solve the problem of Rose's obnoxious step son, the new Duke.
I listened to this on audio and the reader, Angela Dawe does a fantastic job!
Anna's Herding Cats
Oh that was lovely! I adore Ashley's Shifters Unbound series but this was my first tast of her Highlanders and oh my yum! Very fun and sexy. A little mystery puzzle to uncover. Delicious chemistry and a set up of fake mates. Fabulous little time and a satisfying read. Not an easy feat for a novella but Ashley did a fine job.
Jill
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars ! Love this series!!
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is a sweet, sexy novella featuring the youngest McBride brother, Steven.

Steven was a very likeable hero with a delicious dash of wickedness. I loved him for championing Rose and doing whatever was required to ensure she received everything she was entitled to. He cares deeply but hides it behind “joking, self-deprecation, and drink.”

Rose is a lovely heroine…so kind, patient and caring. It is something Steven has never experienced before.

No woman in Steven’s history of women —and that history was a full one— had ever told him, concbefore.
joking,
Chumchum_88
I delayed reading this book for months if not a year, since from the discribtion I didn't think it was ecourageable.

I honestly thought that since in the discribtion it said the she was a young widow and they were seen in a scandalous moment, that she wouldn't get along with him at first because he would ruin her reputation or something. And how wrong I was.

- The heroine was very sweet and kind, personally I wouldn't be ok with a drunken guy stumbling across me and landing
Katrina Passick Lumsden
A short but sweet romp with the McBrides. Steven is charming and chivalrous, Rose is a refreshing heroine who isn't constantly slapping Steven or pouting or pretending. I genuinely liked both of them, and this got me primed for Sinclair's story.
NiteReader
3 Stars is almost a stretch...
This book was pretty dull.
Jen Davis
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this novella. I liked it, but it didn’t perform for me the way books in this series usually do. Maybe it’s because we have left behind the familiar. After all, we have exhausted the well of MacKenzie men and have moved on to the McBrides. I honestly don’t even remember Steven, though I am sure we have met him through Ainsley at some point. He just didn’t leave much of an impression. But I don’t think that’s what held the story back — or at least not entirely.

Before I
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
GOOD NOT GREAT!!!

Captain Steven McBride home on leave runs dead smack into Rose The Dowager Duchess of Southdown. She assumes Steven is a homeless drunkard and takes him home with herto sleep it off and for food. The scribbers or newspaper reporters follow Rose around for any gossip they might write about her. Rose's deceased husband died of a heart attack on their honeymoon the previous year. He left Rose improvised as his son the new Duke doesn't want Rose to have her widows portio
Ilze
Jennifer Ashley's "Scandal and the Duchess" (#6.5 in the MacKenzies and McBrides series)
This story is novella-length and quite a lot of fun. Steven McBride is scrumptious as the hero and his heroine, Rose Barclay, the dowager Duchess of Southdown, is a delight. Their initial meeting, with Steven literally falling at her feet on the street in a drunken stupor, is priceless. The next day, after spending the night in Rose's coachman's apartment and sleeping off his hangover, Steven decides
Stef
Jennifer Ashley is a new author for me for 2018. Reading her books.
Book 6.5 was not as interesting as the rest of the series.

Now this series written in a different time where no technology is about. Horse n buggy days ect. historical romance of sorts with some erotica thrown in the mix. yummy hot men... looking forward to reading this whole series. Love her books so far this year.

Just read the Shifters Unbound series and it was excellent. - paranormal series
Tanya Sridhar
3.5/5 Stars.

Overall a fun book. The writing is solid, the plot interesting enough and the characters fleshed out. However it lacks the emotional connect JA books usually have, a lot of it felt like insta-lust. Enjoyable, but nothing that'll stay with me.
Vikki Vaught
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

An enjoyable read with interesting characters and an engaging plot. Not a lot of depth, but a charming mystery. Happy reading/listening!
Megan Walker
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: momma-s-read
I enjoyed the book, but would have preferred a whole story on the couple. I want to know more!
Elaine
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jordan
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't really cared for the past two novels in this series, but this is the third novella in a row that's been quite enjoyable. The premise is a bit wobbly (pretend engagements always are) but if you just go with that (and the bit of a mystery in this one) it's a fun little story.
Stephanie
Original Post 3/25/15
SCANDAL & THE DUCHESS: Contrast Study from Jennifer Ashley http://fangswandsandfairydust.com/201...

A drunk soldier on leave literally falls into the young Dowager Duchess’s bosom. The early paparazzi go crazy over the scandal in this MacKenzies & McBrides series novella.

I imagine that falling for the drunken soldier who passes out in your cleavage shows a remarkably easy-going and charitable personality. Such is the case for Rose, Dowager Duchess of Southdown, t
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

What did you think about Rose and Steven?

Suzanne: They were good, I don’t recall much about Steven from the previous books so it was almost like a fresh new character breezing into the series. I think Rose and Steven were very sweet together, I loved that they seemed to have no qualms about falling in love with each other and acted on those feeling fairly quickly. I think Steven was also supposed to be some kind of womanising, gambling rake, but that never really came across for me. I did think that the stor
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

As if she didn't have enough scandal following her around, Rose Barclay, the young widowed Duchess of Southdown collides with yet another in the form of handsome Scot, Steven McBride. When the very inebriated Mr. McBride passes out, her Grace sees no other remedy but her tend the unconscious man until her awakens from his stupor.

Steven McBride tends to drink himself into a daze rather frequently. The decorated soldier seeks to forget he misery and loss of war by gambling and womanizi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Her Every Wish (The Worth Saga #1.5)
  • Rogue with a Brogue (Scandalous Highlanders, #2)
  • Upon a Winter's Night (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3.5)
  • Once Upon a Christmas Eve (Maiden Lane, #10.7)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • Beauty and the Blacksmith  (Spindle Cove, #3.5)
  • What a Lady Needs for Christmas (MacGregors, #4)
  • The Knight (Highland Guard, #7.5)
  • A Lesson in Chemistry with Inspector Bruce (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #2.5)
  • All I Want for Christmas is Blue (Lord and Lady Spy, #3.6)
  • When the Rogue Returns (The Duke's Men, #2)
  • A Rake's Midnight Kiss (Sons of Sin, #2)
  • The Devil of Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #1)
  • The Highlander's Reward (Stolen Bride, #1)
  • Highland Rake (The Highlanders, #3)
  • To Kiss a Kilted Warrior (Claimed by the Highlander, #3)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance, historical mysteries, and urban fantasy as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have been translated into many different languages, and earned starred reviews from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com, http://www.allysonjames.com, and http://gardnermysteries.com.

Mackenzies & McBrides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6)
  • Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)
  • The Stolen Mackenzie Bride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8)
  • Alec Mackenzie's Art of Seduction (MacKenzies & McBrides, #9)
  • The Devilish Lord Will (MacKenzies & McBrides, #10)