Start by marking “Heartache Motel” as Want to Read:
Heartache Motel

Heartache Motel (Rose Strickland Mystery #3.5 included)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  218 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Elvis has left the building, but he’s forever memorialized at the Heartache Motel. Filled with drag queens, Rock-a-Hula cocktails, and a vibrating velveteen bed, these three novellas tell the tales of three amateur sleuths who spend their holidays at the King’s beloved home.

A Rose Strickland Mystery Novella (follows DINER I
Paperback, First, 225 pages
Published December 10th 2013 by Henery Press (first published December 8th 2013)

HENERY PRESS PUBLISHING
“I was laughing out loud and couldn't stop turning the pages as I read the adventures of amateur sleuths Rose Strickland, Cherry Tucker, and Nichelle Clarke, who find themselves at the Heartache Motel in Memphis, just in time for Christmas.” – Gigi Pandian, Author of the Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery Series
Lynn Farris
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Most avid readers I know are always in search of a few new authors. What better way than to read a compilation of three interconnected mystery novellas from relatively new authors?

Henery Press introduced us last year to three great authors, Kendel Lynn, Gigi Pandian and Diane Vallere in the book ‘Other People’s Baggage.’ This year ‘Heartache Motel’ features Terri L. Austin, Larissa Reinhart and LynDee Walker. I was excited to read this as I had previously enjoyed the mystery novels of all three
❂ Jennifer
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lovely way to discover new authors or enjoy in-between adventures of those cozy characters you already love.

(ARC received from NetGalley)

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/691761...
Chris Blackton
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This is actually three novellas written by different authors with the common thread that they take place in Memphis at the Heartache Motel. They truly warrant a 3.5 star rating but the app doesn't allow for that. Quick Sketch (the middle novella) was slightly confusing. I am still unsure about how he sketches fit into the plot but the other two were quite good.
Jessica
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review, arc
What do Elvis and drag queens have in common? Memphis! Welcome to the Heartache Motel where Elvis is immortalized and three amateur sleuths find themselves staying in a seedy motel and planning a visit to Graceland.

Anthologies are often difficult to review because you’re reading more than one novella and there’s always one or two that you enjoy the most. I’m going to review Heartache Motel a little differently from my usual style and give you my overall impression because I don’t want to give s
Philip
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice Christmassy read that is a bit different. All three were quite enjoyable with some laughs and a couple of decent mysteries but I liked the 3rd one "Dateline Memphis" the most. It has the most likeable characters, the best mystery and a really great twist at the end.
Laura Thomas
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m always ready for a new cozy mystery. I got three in Heartache Motel. It was a lot of fun to see where each of these authors would go with their story centered around a seedy motel, staffed with drag queens and booked up with Elvis impersonators.

The Heartache Motel is located a short distance from Graceland and it came as no surprise that each story would be overflowing with quirky, fun characters.

In Diners Weepers, Losers Keepers I met Rose Strickland. When Ma, the 80-year-old proprietor of
Yvonne
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The three authors bring us an anthology with a cozy mystery holiday story from each of their popular series. Although I have Austin and Reinhart’s books on my Kindle TBR, I haven’t had a chance to read them yet. I have read one of Walker’s books from this series, which I loved.

I will review this book by the individual stories.

Diners Keepers, Losers Weepers by Terri L. Austin
(From her “A Rose Strickland Mystery” series)

It’s a few days before Christmas when waitress Rose Strickland heads to Memphi
Maria
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for a fair and honest review. I rated it 4.5 out of 5 Stars.

Three interconnected cozy mysteries written by different authors take center stage in the Henery Press anthology Heartache Motel. Taking place in Memphis over the Christmas Holidays, and set at the Heartache Motel, a kitschy and tawdry Elvis themed motel filled with drag queens, Elvis impersonators and too many tourists, these stories kept me turning the
Judy
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A triple header

I loved this book. It was very interesting and entertaining how three authors brought their stories together with the location. It was fun to see how the stories were brought together.
Judy
I first discovered LynDee Walker during a book tour, followed by Larissa Reinhart during yet another tour. These were two of the first authors I read from the Henery Press group. This was quickly followed up by Susan Boyer and finally Terri L. Austin. The tag line at Henery Press is if you like one, you will probably like them all. They aren't kidding! Needless to say that when I saw an anthology of three of these wonderful authors, I immediately requested a copy on Netgalley.

In Diners Keepers,
Tina at A COZY GIRL READS AND WRITES Blog
Diners, Keepers, Losers Weepers by Terri.L.Austin
A Rose Strickland Mystery Novella

Rose along with Ma and Rozy close the diner for the Christmas holiday and decide to make Ma's dreams of going to Graceland come true, they eventually decide to stay at the Hearbreak Motel, the motel is quite the place with Elvis inspired drag queens and it's a dive to say the least. Then an Elvis impersonator is found dead. There are also jewels discovered that are some how connected to the death and Rose starts qu
LORI CASWELL
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
DINERS KEEPERS, LOSERS WEEPERS by Terri L. Austin
A Rose Strickland Mystery Novella (follows DINER IMPOSSIBLE)

Ma, Rose and Roxy close up the diner and head to Graceland for the holiday. Axton and Stoner Joe come along for the ride. There is a mix up with their hotel reservation and they end up staying at the Heartache Motel, which wouldn’t even rate 1 star. When one of the Elvis impersonator turns up dead Rose finds herself right in the middle of the investigation.

QUICK SKETCH by Larissa Reinhart
Rhonda
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Review: Heartache Motel
4 stars

DINERS KEEPERS, LOSERS WEEPERS by Terri L. Austin 4 stars

This was a much lighter murder mystery than Diner Impossible was. The gang decide to go to Graceland for a fast vacation. Ma closes the diner. I liked it. Rose, Roxy, Ma, Axton and Joe all drive down in same car. Things don't go as planned right away. They end up at Heartache Motel full of Elvis impersonators and drag queens. They find a body and have to solve the case before they go home.

QUICK SKETCH by La
Tess
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Terri Austin, Larissa Reinhart and LynDee Walker have a sure fire hit on their hands. They have come together to write 1 book, with each of them delivering their own spin on it. Heartache Motel is set in Memphis very close to Graceland, with each author penning her own characters and lives into one enjoyable book. I have read books by all three authors and was pleased with how this book jumped from one to the other.
In Diners Keepers, Losers Weepers we once again meet up with Ma, Roxy, Rose and A
Jane Reads
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc, reviewed
Heartache Motel is a really good, really fun read. I love to read cozy mystery books that are part of a series (and I have this thing about reading them in order). Heartache Motel contains novellas from not one, not two, but three cozy series, and very enjoyable, well-written ones at that.

In some cozies, the sleuths give rather implausible reasons for why they sleuth (and I tend not to stick with those series for very long). Rose, Cherry and Nichelle have legitimate reasons for their investi
Valeri
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
DINERS KEEPERS, LOSERS WEEPERS by Terri L. Austin
This was my first Terri L. Austin read. I know this is part of a series but it can be read stand alone. This was a great novella. The cast makes up for very entertaining reading. This was a fun read and the cozy mystery aspect was really good.
QUICK SKETCH by Larissa Reinhart
This is the one novella in the trio that I liked the least. This may be because I hve read all the books in this series and for me it has gone downhill after the second book.
Andrea Guy
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous collection of novellas that all tie in together in a round about way. I had read the first two Cherry Tucker Mysteries so I had to give this one a go and I have one of of Terri's books on my nook waiting to be read.

As I was familiar with those two authors, those were the short stories that I enjoyed the most. My favorite was Diners Keepers, Losers Weepers. There's something about a story with Elvis impersonators that you just can't help but love.

Quick Sketch is a must read for
Randee Baty
What fun! Three of the most clever and entertaining cozy mystery writers working today have teamed up to put together 3 stories, each using their signature sleuth, set in the same setting but not overlapping. The cozy reader’s dream.

All three stories are set in the Heartache Motel in Memphis, TN at Christmas time. In Diners Keepers, Loser’s Weepers the crew from Diner Impossible by Terri L. Austin gets in the middle of an Elvis impersonator contest complete with dead bodies. In Quick Sketch by L
Kate Lansing
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Such a fun collection of cozy mystery novellas! It's Christmas-time in Nashville and the Elvis-themed Heartache Motel is attracting all sorts of interesting characters.

I've read Terri L. Austin's and LynDee Walker's work before so especially enjoyed learning extra tidbits about their amateur sleuths. The Heartache Motel became a character in and of itself, and was the common thread that tied these three novellas together. I was most impressed with the authors' abilities to write fully developed
Judy Sheluk
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

I'm going to be a bit picky here, because this was billed as an "interconnected" book of 3 stories, and while there is a common thread in the hotel, they are most definitely not interconnected - certainly not in the same way as Henery Press' Other People's Baggage is (a great read, if you haven't found it).

That said, the individual stories are quite good in their own right. Each of the three writers brings their own twist on visiting Graceland, and they are talented authors worth reading. This b
Danielle Lytwyn
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed the first and third novellas in the book. They both caught my attention from the start and held it until the last page. I struggled a bit with the second novella. One of the reasons might be that I'm really not interested in poker and another reason may be that the main character always seemed like she didn't want to be there so it made you feel like you didn't want to be there. I will definitely be checking out other works from all 3 authors to see what other gems I can find.
Pamela
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Heartache Motel is a kitschy, Elvis themed motel in Memphis. Run by drag queens and suffering from neglect the Heartache has somehow managed to attract three of Henery Press's most entertaining female detectives.

The three stories (almost novellas) take place at different times, but always during the Christmas holidays. They are well written, well edited, and entertaining.

I can definitely recommend Heartache Motel if you are looking for a fun Christmas read.

ARC provided by the publisher via N
Kat
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I honestly loved the setting of the book. It was different and comical. The drag queens were hilarious.
The first story was definitely my favorite just because I loved the characters more. However, all the stories were pretty well written and told a good story.

It's a little short but I would definitely recommend this to someone who wants a good quick read. Unlike a lot of other shorter stories, the characters were fleshed out and really brought to life.
Roswita
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
I picked this up because I had previously read the stories from one of the authors and when I saw this one come out I had to have it for my collection. You can't collect only some of an author's work, after all! Well, thanks to this book I now have two other authors I have to collect, so I'm going to be a bit busy for a while. Later!
Gigi
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery, mystery
This collection of interrelated novellas is a perfect introduction to three humorous heroines -- waitress Rose Strickland, portrait artist Cherry Tucker, and reporter Nichelle Clarke -- who unravel mysteries involving missing jewels, a poker sting, and a heist at Graceland. (I received an advance copy of the book.)
Ann
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Three good short mystery stories that take place in Memphis over the Christmas season. They cover murder, gambling and theft. All center at the Heartbreak Motel. Enjoy these amateur sleuths in action.
Sheila
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this collection of short stories by three of my favorite authors. Ms. Austin, Ms. Reinhart and Ms. Walker show their authoring prowess in this Christmas anthology featuring Elvis. What could be better? These ladies have a fantastic future in the literary world. A most enjoyable read!!
Ruth Barrineau-brooks
Elvis + Mysteries = FUN

I thoroughly enjoyed the novellas by Terri Austin, Larissa Reinhart, and LynDee Walker. What's not to like about three sassy women hoping for some R and R? What they find is entertaining from beginning to end!
Patricia Atkinson
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book I liked how all 3 stories were about the heartache motel and there were some of same things such as the desk clerk and bar.this book is worth reading in my opinion my mom an elvis fan will like it to...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Kobo 4 8 Apr 30, 2014 04:16AM
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Small Town Spin (A Nichelle Clarke Crime Thriller #3)
  • Double Dip (Davis Way Crime Caper, #2)
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • Designed to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #2)
  • That Touch of Ink (Mad for Mod Mystery, #2)
  • Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2)
  • Other People's Baggage (Three Interconnected Mystery Novellas)
  • The Ambitious Card (An Eli Marks Mystery, #1)
  • Pirate Vishnu (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #2)
  • Nun Too Soon (Giulia Driscoll #1)
Terri lives in Missouri with her family. She loves to hear from readers. Drop her a note at TerriLAustin.com.
More about Terri L. Austin

Rose Strickland Mystery (4 books)
  • Diners, Dives & Dead Ends (Rose Strickland Mystery, #1)
  • Last Diner Standing (Rose Strickland Mystery, #2)
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Diner Knock Out  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #4)