Start by marking “That Sadie Thing” as Want to Read:
That Sadie Thing

That Sadie Thing

A couple break up on a rainy night; a runaway longs to go home; a woman finds comfort from eating lunch as her best friend lies in hospital; a teenager feels oppressed by her father. All of the characters in these stories are trying to find their place in the world, attempting to find connections that matter with the people around them.

'That Sadie Thing and other stories
Published September 11th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published February 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about That Sadie Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Sadie Thing

Start your review of That Sadie Thing
Linda
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a massive fan of short story anthologies but found myself enthusiastically ripping my way through these too fast to really even do them justice! The stories are well-written, interestingly written and satisfyingly unpredictable. Each one is a little gem which should be savoured and possibly even re-read - certainly not gobbled down the way I did! The characters are unusual and well-drawn and I admit I wept a little at a couple of the stories. Reading these was a breath of fresh air. If ...more
Christine Rains
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever wonder what the guy on the other end of the creepy silent calls is thinking?

This is fantastic collection of short stories is wonderfully written. It's an intense exploration of human relationships. So many secrets and shocking truths. Haunting and riveting, I was captivated by Crawford's tight writing style and unique insights.

I can't wait to read more by Crawford in the future. She has completely won me over.
Laura Stoker
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really shows not to judge a book by its cover - I’d have never bought it otherwise. Really enjoyable collection.
Michelle
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Schiffmann
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this collection of short stories, there would have been many easy stopping points, yet I read "That Sadie Thing" in one sitting. The author's words swept me away and I lost myself in stories rich with compassion, heartbreak, and surprise.
This is a wonderful assortment of stories told in beautiful, thoughtful prose.
Medeia Sharif
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annalisa Crawford gives us glimpses into the lives of her characters and their relationships with others. These short stories are a mix of the eerie and haunting. They had a way of burrowing into my mind with their unique intensity. They were all amazing, but my favorites were “That Sadie Thing,” “The Girl who is Good,” and “Tasting the Grass.”
Kyra
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing collection of short stories that will stick with you long after you've finished reading them. If you've read Annalisa's novella, Cat and The Dreamer, you'll already know of her exceptional creativity, and it continues to shine through in every single story in this book.

Read it, love it, tell your friends. Annalisa Crawford is a writer who is going places!
Elizabeth Seckman
Annalisa first impressed me with "Cat and the Dreamer"...and she didn't let me down with "That Sadie Thing". Annalisa has such a amazing talent for words, her stories are like reading art. My favorite story was "Irish Green", but then I am a sucker for romance.
Mina Lobo
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tight, gripping short stories, some of which get under my skin and have me twitching for ages after reading them. Best to read a tale at a time, the better to digest each one. Enjoyed Crawford's icy style - recommended reading for lovers of the slightly off.
Tammy Theriault
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annalisa knows just how to spellbind you in each story! Just when you think you know how the story will end...you're so wrong, and sometimes "dead" wrong! amazing stories!!
Joanne Faries
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hauntingly beautiful writing. The stories vary and the characters have issues, but Ms.Crawford's writing is quite lovely. You will keep clicking pages, ever onward to the next story.
Gwen
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like all of the previous works I've read of Annalisa Crawford, this one charmed me with her prose. Simple phrases and gestures contain worlds and the relationships she builds between characters are layered and enduring.

My favorite pieces are probably the title story, That Sadie Thing, about the reasons behind a woman's desire to call others without starting a conversation, and The Omlete, about a woman regularly visiting a dinner after seeing her friend at a nearby hospital. They're simple piece
Patsy Collins
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and varied collection of short stories. A few make for slightly uncomfortablele reading, but they still held my attention.
Sharon l Aldcroft
The cat and dreamer was the first book I read by Annalisa and to me she has just got better.
This collection of short stories has you caught and the book just can NOT be put down.
I can't say I had a favourite as I did enjoy all the stories in the book.
As she did in the other book she creates her stories brilliantly as she does her characters.
All I will say to you is don't try to guess the ending of any of the stories..............you will only be wrong!!
Well done Annalisa.

READ IT!!!
LOVED IT!!!
WR
Sara
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
The first story was very Edgar Allen Poe'ish. Most stories are very morose, and there were two that left me with a what the hell just happened feeling. BUT despite my usual desire for happy endings I did like this story collection.
Rachel Schieffelbein
Crawford's writing is fantastic. It's amazing how much she can pull you in and make you care about a character in such a short amount of words. I really enjoyed this collection, so much so that I can't pick a favorite story!
Melissa Ann Goodwin
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Crawford draws you in with vivid description and characters. Every story surprised me - sometime to the point of laughing out loud and saying, "oh! you got me!" And not too many writers can surprise me, so kudos!
Abbi
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**First-Reads Winner**

Great book full of short stories about human interaction.
I particularly enjoyed: 'That Sadie Thing', 'Beth', 'Omelette', 'My Mother's Mother's Mother', and 'Rain Dancing'.
Great easy read!
Clare Simonis
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best contemporary short story collection I've read in a while. Short, readable, relatable stories. Brought tears to my eyes reading "Beth" on an elliptical. That fucking good dude.
Misha Gericke
Very well written. Loved the voice(s).
Miriam Drori
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked these stories. Each one of them made me see things from a different standpoint and gave me something to think about at the end. This is what all short stories should do.
Stephanie
Ruben
Nov 23, 2018
Caitlin Lane
Oct 29, 2013
Goodreads Authors...: Free on Kindle, until tomorrow night 1 6 Apr 14, 2013 10:34AM
Promote your Writing: Out now!! 1 3 Feb 26, 2013 11:05AM

• Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math
  • A Manual for Cleaning Women: Selected Stories
  • Fresh Complaint
  • Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster
  • The Snow Child
  • Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam
  • The Mirror & the Light
  • Holes (Holes, #1)
  • Nobody
I live in beautiful Cornwall UK, with a good supply of beaches and moorland right on my doorstep to keep me inspired.

I write dark contemporary fiction with a hint of paranormal. These are mostly character-driven stories dealing with the confusion, deceit, surprise and joys of life. I am endlessly fascinated by the way people treat each other.

Over the years, I’ve won several competitions, had many

Related Articles

“When I was little – eight or nine – I used to scare myself by looking up at the stars. You can see hundreds, thousands. The more I looked, the more I could see. Have you ever done it?”
Josie shakes her head.
“On really clear nights you can see the Milky Way… and the world suddenly seems so small. And I thought, if the world is that small then I must be just a speck, smaller than a speck, totally insignificant in a universe I couldn’t even begin to understand. So I chose to believe that I do matter, that everyone matters.” The waitress leans back in the chair and laughs at herself. “And, yes, I do realise it makes absolutely no sense at all, before you say anything.”

From the story 'Omelette”
1 likes
“She didn’t look back. I remember that more than anything else. She didn’t look back. I wanted to mean more to her than that. I wanted her to turn, because I was sure she’d change her mind. And perhaps she would have, and that’s why she didn’t.

From the story 'Rain Dancing”
1 likes