Start by marking “Who Needs Enemies” as Want to Read:
Who Needs Enemies

Who Needs Enemies

Harriet Phillecky is a rare part elf, part siren and wanted by neither race. Not that she really cares. A successful news photographer turned paranormal investigator, she now has a 'family' of friends that includes ogres who constantly raid her refrigerator and take over her TV, and a dragon who drinks far too much for his own good.

But when the only elvan relative she has
Published August 28th 2013 by IGLA

To ask other readers questions about Who Needs Enemies, please sign up.
Mara According to author's website, this is a stand alone book [at 05/09/2017].

Jacob Proffitt
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book is indie published and, unfortunately, it shows. The cover is bad enough, but the editing... ouch. That said, the story was at least interesting and the setting has enough depth to be engaging.

I'm a little conflicted about the main character. So much in UF depends on a strong viewpoint character and I don't so much mean physically (which is good because Harri isn't very tough). She's no wimp or anything, but physical confrontation really isn't her cuppa. But I'm torn because while she'
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5
I am going to be fair and rate this as a series teaser. So far there is only one book, but after all this set-up it wouldn't be fair to us not to continue. So, as the first book in a series it is great.
There is almost zero info-dumping regarding this world. Every piece of information you get, whether it is about ogres, gnomes, dragons, sirens, elves, trolls, their habits, beliefs or anything else, is connected to whatever is going on at that moment in the book. So, that way you don't find out
Mara
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Re-read on 11/23/2014
Rating confirmed. I really liked this UF, even if the second time around her loyalty came too near to stupidity for my tastes. Not in itself, but simply because there was no explanation for it. I needed a reason to accept such blindness for the sake of the story, but it wasn't linked neither to race nor to personal history. So, a nit for me.

-----------------------------

I had almost missed this new book by Ms Arthur. The cover reminded me of an indie novel and I was a bit we
Lyndi W.
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
No romance here. And with this book being published in 2013, I seriously doubt there will be a sequel in which a romance could happen. Which is a shame, because it was a fun read and I was really looking forward to seeing if anything happened between Harri and Kaij. I thought there was more to this "series" when I snagged this book. Guess I need to do my research before starting a series from now on.
JadeShea
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Harri is a part elf part siren, P.I. who isn't wanted by either side of her family really. She is known as an outcast, and remote, but she does have a group of friends. And when the one relative who actually wants something to do with her needs her help with a case, things start to get a little bit crazy for her. She has to find out who the murder is, and before they try anything else to someone else. But the suspects keep piling up, and they seem to be part of her "Family." With all of this goi ...more
Ronda
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to find this book by Keri Arthur, I had no idea that it was out so when I seen it, being an avid fan, I dived onto Amazon to buy it immediately.

In this PI book, we meet all sorts of paranormal beings and Harriet, a PI, is part Elvin and Siren... she is asked to investigate the disappearance of a Siren and then turns up all sorts of information that points fingers in every direction...

A good book, if this is going to be a new series, a great starting point and I have to say I love
Beth
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who Needs Enemies was a brilliant start to a new series by Keri Arthur.

Elves, sirens, dragons, oh my!

Harriet Phillecky (try saying that 10 times fast) is a breed; half elf and half siren. Not accepted by her family she has a made a life and a family for herself.

When a blood relative comes a calling it’s never going to be good. When they come asking for favors you know its even worse…

Harri finds herself caught up in trying to clear her dragon friend’s drunken murderous flight and the disappear
Ami

Note: I am reading the newer version with new cover, but I have no IDEA if there is any improvements regarding editing from the original version

On the plus side...

I dig this world so bad -- it's not too hard to grasp, we have common fantasy characters like elves, sirens, dragons, ogres, trolls, and witches (no shape-shifter or vampire in sight so far, although we have a gargoyle descendant which has sensitivity towards sunlight). I LOVED the loud-farting-beer-and-football-worshiper ogre
keikii Eats Books
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
78 points/100 (4 stars/5)

I'm actually really sad this didn't get a sequel.
Darcy
I really wanted to like this book, as I love the author's Riley Jensen series. But from page 1 I was bored. It didn't get better as I went along, the mystery should have pulled me in a bit, Harri's flamboyant brother should have made me want to keep reading, to see him blackmail her into more of a relationship, instead he too over the top. In the end this one just wasn't for me.
B.T. Jaybush
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good first effort (new series, that is, from an experienced author). Harri is an engaging character with a really screwed-up family - always a fun story background - and a lot of friends of various species. We need to learn a lot more about those friends and those species, though, things that are only hinted at as "Enemies" careens along; but as with any series it can take two or three installments before the author (and her readers) begin to feel comfortable in their world. None of which should ...more
Sláinte Wanderlust
Actual rating - 3.5
Cover & Title - 4
Favourite quote -“Well, strap my ass to a flagpole and hoist it skyward' an all to familiar voice declared.”
Favourite character - Harri

I have mixed feeling about this book, this is mostly because it was not what I expected. It has no romance in it at all, I was not aware of this when I picked the book up so I was disappointed. It is shelved a few times as romance on goodreads - it is not. It is an UF mystery.
There are some typo's/etc but as I am not a g
Tiffany Hamilton
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book but now it seems she stopped writing in this series so I am bummed out.
☀Rachael☀
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked Harri, Guy, Keale, Mo, Curly, Val, Darryl! Pretty much everyone!! Hopefully there's a book 2!
Debrac2014
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read! Good cast of characters! Love those trolls!
Dallass
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun, but... a stand alone?

I really enjoyed this urban fantasy story. Harri is a fun character that I adored getting to know. Her family life is almost nonexistent, thanks to her status as a half-breed - yet that hasn’t stopped her from collecting a rather eclectic group of friends that loyally support her.

There is a past lover that finds his way back into the picture, and apparently it did not end well, yet we are teased with flashes of emotion from both of them. The tragedy that broke the
Sue Green
This book is listed on the author’s web page as a stand-alone, which was why I specifically read it (wanted a break from series books with no real ending). It actually felt more like the start of a series. If it were to be a series that would be fine (although I wouldn’t have bothered reading it at this point), but as a stand-alone it felt unfinished and I was left feeling a little disappointed. Many issues were unresolved and the past that was hinted at was never fully revealed. Wonder if it wa ...more
Kat Klein
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Very good book. I've enjoyed Keri's later books alot more than the Riley Jensen stories. This one is no exception. Harri is a half elf/ half siren hybrid fledgling PI. When the only relative on her fathers side asks her to look into his missing siren girlfriend, the case rapidly becomes more deadly than she ever anticipated. And more heartbreaking.

Definitely worth the read, although according to the website it is a standalone. It should not be. There are way too many loose ends to tie up, and w
Cherrie Wilkerson
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Great story! Great characters!

I don't often write reviews, but this is one book I had to write about. It had everything I love in a story-great characters, convoluted plot, fantasy, a P.I. and snark.
I really can't wait for the next story about Harri to be written and published. Hurry Keri Arthur!
Kara Callahan
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. I really enjoyed it. The one thing that detracted from reading this book was the format of the book. This does not affect my rating but the format of the book was terrible! There was a break (like a paragraph break) after every sentence or two. Took me forever to adjust to that. Didn't like that at all!
John Colley
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This was brilliant. Great story and great characters. Harri and ceri both brilliant along with Val, maggie and all the other supernatuals with the exception of Kaig. Loved it lots if you haven't gathered!!!!!!!!
Kelly Oster
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback
It pains me to write this review because I love Keri Arthur’s books. The storyline was definitely action-packed, however I was a little disappointed with the ending. If there is a sequel to this book, I would consider reading it just to give it a chance.
Sandra
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The story was enjoyable enough but for me it lacked the element of romance or at least potential for romance that I like in my UF. Also while loyaltly is an admirable trait, Harri's seemed to border on stupidity which is not something I like to see in my heroine.
Jacqueline
Goodreads seems to think this is the first book in a series but on the author's website, it's listed as a standalone. That's too bad. I would've liked to have seen this character grow. And I'd also have liked to have found out just what the heck Kaij's deal is.
Molly Slenker
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like the plot and characters but it needs some editing. I would love to see more books in this series
Josephine
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
When it takes a long time to finish a book I know that the wow factor was missing.
Stephaniec
Disappointing this is a standalone, it felt like a first in a series
Marcia Mcginley
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sequels please - Harri is a fabulous characters and I love her friends.
Kristi
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just read this book for the first time. I really loved the characters. There were some story issues, but would love to read more in this world!
Glenda
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to read more about Harri and her crew!
« previous 1 3 next »
Urban Fantasy Afi...: Vamparilla's August Member Choice Read 9 22 Sep 07, 2015 01:40PM

• Something to Curse About (Discord Jones #2)
  • Undercover Magic (Shifty Magic, #2)
  • Torrent (Rust & Relics, #1)
  • Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)
  • Hearth, Home, and Havoc (Magical Romantic Comedies, #4.5)
  • Electric Storm (Raven Investigations, #1)
  • Precinct 13
  • Shattered (Alchemy, #3)
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • Red Moon (The Sinclair Pack #1)
  • Free Agent (Grimm Agency, #1)
  • Stone-Cold Fox (Mai Hayashi #1)
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
  • Dweller on the Threshold (Beri O'Dell #1)
  • Veiled Magic (Veiled Magic, #1)
  • Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2)
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • The Devil's Backbone (Niki Slobodian, #5)
Keri Arthur, author of the New York Times bestselling Riley Jenson, Guardian series, has now written more than 25 books. She's received several nominations in the Best Contemporary Paranormal category of the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Awards, and recently won RT's Career Achievement Award for urban fantasy. She lives in Melbourne with her daughter and two crazy dogs
“Maggie waved a gnarled finger in my direction. “Mention one word,” she said, voice sharp but grey eyes twinkling with merriment, “and I’ll curse your sex life for the next year.” I snorted. “Curse away. It can’t get any worse.” She shook her head. “How can a siren have such a pathetic love life?” “Because I’m a siren who can’t actually sing, remember?” 1 likes
“Well, strap my ass to a flagpole and hoist it skyward' an all to familiar voice declared.” 1 likes