Start by marking “City of Light (Traveler's Gate, #3)” as Want to Read:
City of Light (Traveler's Gate, #3)

City of Light

(Traveler's Gate #3)

Simon has spent the last six months hunting Incarnations, and has begun to realize that his power alone won’t be enough to stop a true enemy.

Leah is queen over a nation of refugees, driven from their homes by the power of Territories gone mad.

Alin rules his city with an iron fist, imposing the virtues of Elysia on an imperfect population.

Now, the three must stand united as
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 394 pages
Published April 9th 2014 by Hidden Gnome Publishing

To ask other readers questions about City of Light, please sign up.
Jonathan Dykeman From a different forum - he has hired someone to record the third book, but the time to completion is unknown.

Start your review of City of Light (Traveler's Gate, #3)
Terence
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Incarnations are all loose as the Hanging Trees have been destroyed. Alin is transforming Enosh into a version of Elysia as the madness of Incarnation overtakes him. Leah, Simon, and Indirial hunt down Incarnations until the Incarnations mysteriously go missing.

City of Light was a fitting conclusion to the Traveler's Gate trilogy. The conclusion has many reveals including the beginning of the Hanging Tree process. The book also had some heart wrenching moments that I didn't really think it w
Lazybee
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Usually, when i am about to finish a good series i feel sad(some good books i dragged reading a lot, because i was afraid to let go). But not this one, because it finished so fast. You will not realise the time flying past. The book is full of beautiful action sequences. And is an excellent end to a lovely series. Highly recommended.

P. S.: Will miss the dolls. They were awesome.
Jason
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
5 Stars

City of Light, book 3 in the Travelers Gate series is a 5 star awesome conclusion to the series. As a whole, the Travelers Gate series is a 5 star blast of a read that fantasy lovers will adore. Each of the three books are better than the last. The action is top notch. The cast of characters is large enough to have a little bit of this and a little bit of that. The plot and story progression of the series runs a straight line but it does so while showcasing the increase in tension and per
Mark
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! I finished this book three days ago but have been in denial that I will no longer tag along with Simon back to the House of Blades with all his creepy dolls! This was one of those series that break your heart when they're over because you just don't want to leave.

Amazing. These books are amazing. If you don't read these books you are missing out.

Recommendation: READ THE TRAVELER'S GATE TRILOGY! QUICK!
Francisco Godoy
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The star rating mostly relates to this book. I truly enjoyed the series overall and the first two books were fantastic. There are some flaws but they are not as bad as to stop you from reading.

What made this series unique: The real hero is not foretold by any prophesy, no one believes in him and is ridiculed throughout the series. The prophesied hero is a prince-charming-kind-of character who mostly cares about looking heroic and has no idea if what he's doing is right. There is a princess of c
Stefan
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I think it's my ocd that made me finish the series. It's tonedeaf, the world building doesn't exist, some of the jokes are alright. Other than that there is fighting, talking about fighting and some more fighting. I was bored for all the action.
To the end there is a moment where the author needs to actually conjure a quasi time stopping device, just so he can squeeze some exposition into the fighting.
Craig Watson
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Poor way of concluding the trilogy. Did nothing to build the character relationships or give them any depth and the story line was weak and predictable with every character doing the same thing as the previous one.
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 3*
Book 2: 3.5*
Book 3: 3*

Not a bad series but very fantasy 101. The characters started to evolve in book 2 and I was hoping for more of that in three but alas, no.
Kim
Jun 29, 2022 rated it really liked it
Damn yo, did I just bust through a series with 0 romance? Who am I?

Great and satisfying ending, as usual, don't get attached to any characters 😭 everyone loves to dance with death. I was really hoping Simon would explore way more rooms in Vallinhall, but he became strong enough without all of that 🤷🏻‍♀️
Coco.V
Mar 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 The Traveler's Gate Trilogy is FREE on Amazon today (3/17/2020)! 🎁 ...more
Alastair Patton
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
A Marvelous Conclusion :

The first two books were shaky but had moments of incredible promise. The third book made up for the lagging first two in a truly unique (and fun) conclusion. This book made me laugh, cry, and yearn for more. I truly fell in love with the characters and the unique world Will Wight has wrought. I eagerly anticipate the continuation of this series.

*the dolls were quite amazing
Reiz
Mar 27, 2022 rated it it was amazing
So I told my friend I only had 3% left but it’s been that way for over two weeks because it’s too good and I don’t want it to be over.
And she calmly and kindly said "sO YOU’RE BASICALLY AT THE CREDITS ARE YOU KIDDING ME GET IT OVER WITH. YOU’RE ALREADY READING A MILLION OTHER BOOK AND-" and I did read it. and I love it.
(Oh and I got said friend to read it too so that was nice)
I liked how every time I thought a storyline would be forgotten and we’ll never hear of these characters again, they come
Jonathan Crabb
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very solid finish to a unique and fun fantasy series. The author boldly builds a world of epic powers, huge fights, and some off the wall concepts (I am talking about the dolls). Yet it works well as the author commits to the story and it ends well. What a great fresh trilogy.
Ties
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good end to a series that I wasn't sure of I was going to finish. It got a bit stale in the second book and the first of this one but Wight got out of it quite well. I'd be curious if he revisits this universe. ...more
Justin
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
City of Light is a wonderful work of fiction that ties up the Traveler's Gate trilogy very nicely. Full of action and awesome characters, I highly recommend it. ...more
Rinaldo
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5

City of Light is the conclusion of Traveler's Gate trilogy by Will Wight. It concludes the main plots decently while leaving a lot of rooms for sequel.

Plot
The plot picked up directly from Crimson Vault and later skipped 6 months in the future. Simon is bound on a bigger mission, more dangerous than ever with higher stakes. There are internal conflicts within Valinhall and Simon has to deal with these problems while tackling the looming doom.

Action is all-time high in this book, to the point t
Paul
Mar 01, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I liked this book more than the other two in the series, but the characters were still pretty flat.

Simon throughout the trilogy improved and wasn’t nearly as boring as he began in book 1, but if it weren’t for the “Dolls” there would literally be nothing interesting about his character.

Leah had potential after book 2, but still felt exactly the same by the time the story ended. She just never really became interesting and if anything her potential was squandered completely.

Alin had the most imp
Kenneth DSilva
Nov 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I've really enjoyed this trilogy. Looking at how the characters develop through the story, the various abilities and powers that were shown, and the way the characters seek to change the system that was causing suffering in their world were all very well written.

Vaguely worded spoiler:
(view spoiler)
Jonathan Lupa
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finally thought of the word I'm looking for (by book 3):

Shonen.

I don't usually read books which map so directly with potential video games, or anime plots.

But in for a penny, in for a pound. If you made it through book 1, every book after improves on the story.
Andrew Lukyanenko
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In general I liked the book and the series as a whole.
Alin turned out to be at least somewhat interesting (comparing with his charater from the previous books), especially when we could see different prespectives through him.
It was sad that Valinhall Travellers turned out to be some unstoppable killing machines; some battles reminded me about anime fights, though this isn't too bad.
Incarnations were quite interesting in this book, I suppose we just didn't have time for them previously.

And there
Gareth Otton
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
While not quite providing me with the ending I hoped for, City of Light maintains the high quality of this series and was an excellent read.

After having nearly lost his life dealing with just one Incarnation, Simon must now find a way to battle the other ten. On top of this, he has struggles inside Valinhall that he must deal with and, all in all, our hero is forced to reach much further than he ever has before just to survive, let alone win.

Leah, already struggling in her new role as Damascan
Kyle Lorey
Sep 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
storygraph rating: 4 stars

i must say, i was more impressed with this book than the previous two in the trilogy. i enjoyed them all, this one very much included, but i was more impressed by this one. it had more complexity and depth, and was a fitting culmination of this trilogy.

———————————————————————————
Guide to my Rating Scale, based on the Storygraph Rating:

* 5 Stars: This book was more or less flawless. One of the best things I’ve ever read.
* 4.75 through 4.25 Stars: This book had slight fl
James Owens
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
7.5/10
Sadly City of Light is a bit of a downgrade from Crimson Vault. I had appreciated a little bit of the character growth explored in Crimson Vault, but here it seems everyone was returned to their former bland personalities.

The world of Traveler's Gate continues to feel empty and insignificant if one of the main characters isn't there, and even more so where there's no named characters around at all. To draw a videogame comparison, it feels like a world dominated by npcs with the occasional
Eugene
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting,

This was honestly, the most adventurous read I've read in a while. Bringing you from one section of the story to another section of a story in a blink of an eye. Perhaps its the element of fantasy-fiction, which allows the author to dictate the ''laws of the story''. The story is fine, if not a little predictable. The author adds in elements that are just over-powered. Some characters just gets some new power and then it go out slaughtering everything in its wake. Wow.

Its probably
Hamza
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
My rating for this book is 2.5 stars.

This is the final installment to the series although the author hints at possible additions in the future. I personally think this is a good idea as the series definitely has room for growth.

As for the book itself, it did not offer much above and beyond it's prequels. I felt it got fairly predictable and repetitive. The author did not expend much effort towards world-building, character development or plot twists. Much of the elements in this book seem to b
William K. Moses Jr.
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book was a nice ending to the trilogy. The story that started out in the third book was wrapped up fairly well. Some stories were ended, others were started, and some were left unfinished. This sets things up nicely for another book. But that's what kind of irked me and made me give this book 4 stars instead of 5. It's good no doubt, but I didn't really get a sense of an ending here. Not to mention, the question that was set up as so important for Simon, (view spoiler) ...more
Yossi
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some times great world building ends up in a complete mess. Regretfully, this is one of these times.

I have enjoyed the first two books in the series because of their human aspect - little people involved in the world where big forces are at play. By the third book there are no humans anymore. Just ultra-powerful beings at war. Half the book is super-powered demi-gods punching each other. And everyone is sooooo ultra powerful and can't die and is amazing and fast and special.... AHHHH!!! too muc
Philip Mastandrea
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Story was good. Ending was a little open for my taste but satisfying. My biggest problem with the series is the stories just were so shallow. Their motivations are unclear through three books. The world was interesting and the territories were all fun, I just wish the protagonists were as interesting. Not bad books but I'm not sure if I would recommend them as there is better stuff out there. ...more
Claire
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Fight scene after fight scene after fight scene. I felt like I was reading DragonBall Z fanfiction. Almost entirely no backstory. It wouldn't be so bad if the fight scenes were actually any good. ...more
Benjamin Espen
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In City of Light, Will Wight finishes what he started. I admire his focus, there are clearly more stories in this world that can be told. But Simon has completed the hero's journey, and the cycle is now complete. Which also means that Simon has become a man, and the nature of the problems he faces will be different in the future. Thus, Wight has ended the story at the place where the story should be ended. And for that, I salute him.

We also see a great many pieces fall into place [though not all
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Tongue Eater (Mage Errant #6)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • The Torch that Ignites the Stars (Arcane Ascension, #3)
  • The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant #4)
  • Defiance of the Fall 5 (Defiance of the Fall #5)
  • Bastion (Immortal Great Souls #1)
  • On the Shoulders of Titans (Arcane Ascension, #2)
  • Iron Prince (Warformed: Stormweaver, #1)
  • Rainhorn (The Weirkey Chronicles, #2)
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
  • Soulhome (The Weirkey Chronicles, #1)
  • The Siege of Skyhold (Mage Errant #5)
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • Soulbrand (Weapons and Wielders, #3)
  • Street Cultivation (Street Cultivation, #1)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 5 (He Who Fights with Monsters #5)
See top shelves…

Traveler's Gate (3 books)
  • House of Blades (Traveler's Gate, #1)
  • The Crimson Vault (Traveler's Gate, #2)

News & Interviews

The book gods, in their infinite kindness, have built second chances into the very structure of the modern distribution business. If you miss...
“I don’t know who that idiot is, running around in that cloak like he thinks he’s an assassin, but where did he get that beautifully crafted doll?’ That’s what people are going to say about you.” 12 likes
“Over there, Rebekkah said, sounding eager. Oooh, she’s watching your building. You should punch her in the face.” 3 likes