Start by marking “City of Light (Traveler's Gate, #3)” as Want to Read:
City of Light (Traveler's Gate, #3)

City of Light (Traveler's Gate #3)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  5,180 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Simon has spent the last six months hunting Incarnations, and has begun to realize that his power alone won’t be enough to stop a true enemy.

Leah is queen over a nation of refugees, driven from their homes by the power of Territories gone mad.

Alin rules his city with an iron fist, imposing the virtues of Elysia on an imperfect population.

Now, the three must stand united as
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 394 pages
Published April 9th 2014 by Hidden Gnome Publishing

Terence
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Incarnations are all loose as the Hanging Trees have been destroyed. Alin is transforming Enosh into a version of Elysia as the madness of Incarnation overtakes him. Leah, Simon, and Indirial hunt down Incarnations until the Incarnations mysteriously go missing.

City of Light was a fitting conclusion to the Traveler's Gate trilogy. The conclusion has many reveals including the beginning of the Hanging Tree process. The book also had some heart wrenching moments that I didn't really think it w
Lazybee
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Usually, when i am about to finish a good series i feel sad(some good books i dragged reading a lot, because i was afraid to let go). But not this one, because it finished so fast. You will not realise the time flying past. The book is full of beautiful action sequences. And is an excellent end to a lovely series. Highly recommended.

P. S.: Will miss the dolls. They were awesome.
Jason
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
5 Stars

City of Light, book 3 in the Travelers Gate series is a 5 star awesome conclusion to the series. As a whole, the Travelers Gate series is a 5 star blast of a read that fantasy lovers will adore. Each of the three books are better than the last. The action is top notch. The cast of characters is large enough to have a little bit of this and a little bit of that. The plot and story progression of the series runs a straight line but it does so while showcasing the increase in tension and per
Francisco Godoy
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The star rating mostly relates to this book. I truly enjoyed the series overall and the first two books were fantastic. There are some flaws but they are not as bad as to stop you from reading.

What made this series unique: The real hero is not foretold by any prophesy, no one believes in him and is ridiculed throughout the series. The prophesied hero is a prince-charming-kind-of character who mostly cares about looking heroic and has no idea if what he's doing is right. There is a princess of c
Mark Halse
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! I finished this book three days ago but have been in denial that I will no longer tag along with Simon back to the House of Blades with all his creepy dolls! This was one of those series that break your heart when they're over because you just don't want to leave.

Amazing. These books are amazing. If you don't read these books you are missing out.

Recommendation: READ THE TRAVELER'S GATE TRILOGY! QUICK!
Rinaldo
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5

City of Light is the conclusion of Traveler's Gate trilogy by Will Wight. It concludes the main plots decently while leaving a lot of rooms for sequel.

Plot
The plot picked up directly from Crimson Vault and later skipped 6 months in the future. Simon is bound on a bigger mission, more dangerous than ever with higher stakes. There are internal conflicts within Valinhall and Simon has to deal with these problems while tackling the looming doom.

Action is all-time high in this book, to the point t
Jonathan Lupa
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finally thought of the word I'm looking for (by book 3):

Shonen.

I don't usually read books which map so directly with potential video games, or anime plots.

But in for a penny, in for a pound. If you made it through book 1, every book after improves on the story.
Andrew Lukyanenko
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In general I liked the book and the series as a whole.
Alin turned out to be at least somewhat interesting (comparing with his charater from the previous books), especially when we could see different prespectives through him.
It was sad that Valinhall Travellers turned out to be some unstoppable killing machines; some battles reminded me about anime fights, though this isn't too bad.
Incarnations were quite interesting in this book, I suppose we just didn't have time for them previously.

And there
Gareth Otton
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
While not quite providing me with the ending I had hoped for, City of Light maintains the high quality of this series and was an excellent read.

After having nearly lost his life dealing with just one Incarnation, Simon must now find a way to battle the other ten. On top of this, he has struggles inside Valinhall that he must deal with and all in all, our hero is forced to reach much further than he ever has before just to survive, let alone win.

Leah, already struggling in her new role as Damasc
Eugene
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting,

This was honestly, the most adventurous read I've read in a while. Bringing you from one section of the story to another section of a story in a blink of an eye. Perhaps its the element of fantasy-fiction, which allows the author to dictate the ''laws of the story''. The story is fine, if not a little predictable. The author adds in elements that are just over-powered. Some characters just gets some new power and then it go out slaughtering everything in its wake. Wow.

Its probably
Hamza
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
My rating for this book is 2.5 stars.

This is the final installment to the series although the author hints at possible additions in the future. I personally think this is a good idea as the series definitely has room for growth.

As for the book itself, it did not offer much above and beyond it's prequels. I felt it got fairly predictable and repetitive. The author did not expend much effort towards world-building, character development or plot twists. Much of the elements in this book seem to b
William Moses Jr.
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book was a nice ending to the trilogy. The story that started out in the third book was wrapped up fairly well. Some stories were ended, others were started, and some were left unfinished. This sets things up nicely for another book. But that's what kind of irked me and made me give this book 4 stars instead of 5. It's good no doubt, but I didn't really get a sense of an ending here. Not to mention, the question that was set up as so important for Simon, (view spoiler) ...more
Craig Watson
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Poor way of concluding the trilogy. Did nothing to build the character relationships or give them any depth and the story line was weak and predictable with every character doing the same thing as the previous one.
Benjamin Espen
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In City of Light, Will Wight finishes what he started. I admire his focus, there are clearly more stories in this world that can be told. But Simon has completed the hero's journey, and the cycle is now complete. Which also means that Simon has become a man, and the nature of the problems he faces will be different in the future. Thus, Wight has ended the story at the place where the story should be ended. And for that, I salute him.

We also see a great many pieces fall into place [though not all
Steven Brown
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An action-packed and fulfilling conclusion to The Traveler's gate trilogy.

Will Wight sticks the landing with only the slightest of wobbles. There was a lot going on in this book. Sometimes it slowed the pacing down but for the most part I could not put the book down. It is amazing what an author can do in manipulating a reader's emotions to connect them to some bizarre and unusual things. For instance the dolls that are our heroes advisors. It is hilarious and in this third book poignant. And th
David
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so sad that I've finished this series. I've held off on writing a review as I wanted to complete it first. Sometimes the writing was a little vague, a little hard to follow action sequences, minor issues with the world building and lack of scenaric details, little things here and there. But this book was incredible. It's been a while since I've felt so immersed in a book, so attached to characters, so engaged in the conflict. Each character was portrayed in such a great way. The world is fas ...more
Puritas
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Identical reviews for the entire trilogy, because the author is if nothing else consistent.

I enjoyed the series enough to finish reading it, and many of the concepts seem like they would make a fairly fun game. Wight did a great job of continuing to flesh out the world enough to keep me interested in finishing the trilogy, but at the end of it all I had no interest in returning to this world.

While I did like the characters, I still felt like all of them started from very similar points and didn'
Rosie Rizk
Great magical world. Awesome action and world building.

The characters aren't too complex, but they're fleshed out enough, and the action is thoroughly engaging, that you don't notice it. In the last book of this series, Simon, the MC, gains a lot more in character and purpose, so I recommend reading to the end.

As for the action, I tend to skim war scenes to get the gist and move on, instead of reading my way through a slog of sword slashings and swingings, but the fights here were very central
Robin
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Even more so than the previous book I felt that my main interest lay with Valinhall and not much with the rest of the territories or the unnamed world. In the end, I felt there was still a lot more to be learned from just Valinhall. I think the problem with the other territories was that there was no main character that really learned any of the skills so there was no real interest to learn about those territories.

As I mentioned in the earlier review from the earlier books, it's clear that Will
Russell Gray
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
A fantastic conclusion to one of the most enjoyable trilogies I've ever read. This was such a refreshing story and it just reaffirmed my preference for a more sword and sorcery style offering rather than high fantasy that I tend to find severely bloated and in need of a ballsy editor.

Probably the thing that I noticed most was the fact that the stakes always remained personal for the characters even as the ramifications for events escalated to affect an entire kingdom.

I cannot recommend this tril
Philip Mastandrea
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Story was good. Ending was a little open for my taste but satisfying. My biggest problem with the series is the stories just were so shallow. Their motivations are unclear through three books. The world was interesting and the territories were all fun, I just wish the protagonists were as interesting. Not bad books but I'm not sure if I would recommend them as there is better stuff out there.
Incy
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series. The true test I guess is if things bear re-reading.
For me it was a very satisfying ending, which hasn’t actually been all that common in lots of books I have read recently. I enjoyed the comic flashes, and I felt the creepy dolls were lots more fun in this last one.
I very much liked the treatment of Kai, and the ‘half redemption’ instead of the expected full redemption. I hope there will be someone else to take up the role of creepy weirdo.
Angela
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas, things weren't made entirely clear with the whole magic and stuff but enough has been explained enough to a degree that I get it. Yes it did take this long for me to get comfortable with it all. Overall it was an interesting trilogy that kept me entertained and interested. If another book in this world happens I don't think it would interest me as much though as this one wrapped everything up in a way that I was satisfied with.
Saarah
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars. Good trilogy overall but there is so much more that could happen especially with the open ending at the end of the book. In the last instalment of the travellers gate trilogy the characters have grown especially Simon considering that he started off as nothing more than a weak village boy and is now the leader of vallinhall. If there ever is a sequel I'd like to see Simon and Queen Leah end up together.
Janis Zeps
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm confused about Andra. She was like 12 years old when she came to live at The house and in few months, just by herself became a full traveler. Is that not a more impressive story, then Simon who was 16 and had a somewhat reluctant but still a real teacher? Why is she just randomly mentioned like 5 times and that's it?
GARY W TODD SR
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great fantasy very clean language

I just finished The Travelers gate trilogy and I am very impressed with the writing the unique plot and the complete series me I will definitely read more books by this author because I like the fact that he doesn't use profanity and has very good plots in his books.
Daniel Katz
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Story was good, but the audiobook "narrator" made it... bad
Miguel A. Fernandez
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I enjoyed the unique system of magic. The characters and the storyline. I look forward to more adventures in this world.
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was a little disappointed that there were so many loose ends left after 900+ pages of story. I like the series ok, but not enough to go find another of his to read next.
Eric Farkas
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good conclusion to the trilogy though definitely leaves room for more to be done with the world and characters.

And as before- Here is a video review.
  • A Stolen Crown (The Book of One, #2)
  • Blood of Innocents (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #2)
  • Psion Gamma (Psion, #2)
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • Contractor (The Contractors, #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • The Apprentice (A Knight's Journey, #1)
  • After The Rabbit (Waldo Rabbit, #2)
  • Slight and Shadow (Fate's Forsaken #2)
  • The Black Stars (The Planet Thieves, #2)
  • Songreaver (Songreaver's Tale, #3)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan, #1)
  • A Thirst for Vengeance (The Ashes Saga, #1)
  • The Awakening (Hasea Chronicles #1)

Traveler's Gate (3 books)
  • House of Blades (Traveler's Gate, #1)
  • The Crimson Vault (Traveler's Gate, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“I don’t know who that idiot is, running around in that cloak like he thinks he’s an assassin, but where did he get that beautifully crafted doll?’ That’s what people are going to say about you.” 4 likes
“Over there, Rebekkah said, sounding eager. Oooh, she’s watching your building. You should punch her in the face.” 3 likes