Start by marking “Being Hartley” as Want to Read:
Being Hartley

Being Hartley

[Alternate cover edition for ASIN: B00ID346OC]

Fifteen-year-old Thea Wallis was born to entertain. Her mother, Oscar winning actress Cassie Hartley, thinks differently and has kept her daughter out of the spotlight since day one. Coming from showbiz royalty, it hasn't been easy to go unnoticed, but mismatched surnames, a family home in Tasmania and a low-key scriptwriter fa
Published March 1st 2014 by Patchwork Press (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Being Hartley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Hartley

Marga
**ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review

Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

Being Hartley is about a family whose members are mostly in the entertainment industry. Well except for Thea, the protagonist. She was being stopped by her mother in entering that world. Of course, she wants in.

In the book, they tried to solve Rory's problem to quit in her work but cannot because she's in a contract. Rory is Thea's cousin. Okay, I don't know what to tell you anymore.

Hmm, the lesson l
old account (rl)
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
Review copy provided by Patchwork Press for an honest review.

Being Hartley was exactly what I expected. It had a great bunch of relatable characters, a wonderfully realistic tone and an adequate writing style, but it lacked that special quality to made it into to something more. It needed a little extra kick, a bit of oomph, a bit of punch, to make it really stand out from the other books in its genre.

To start positively, the characters really were very well written. They developed satisfactori
Rochella
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, ya
received a copy in exchange for an honest review
also reviews on iamaloserkidreviews.blogspot.com

Throughout this book there was one, consistent thought running through my head: 'This feels like reading a Disney Original movie.' And to be honest, it is not in a positive way.

The story is mostly about Thea. She is a member of the famous Hartley family, but due to over-protectiveness of her mother, not many know who she is and that she exists. She loves dancing and would love to dance on the
Amber
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
My Rating: 2.5 stars

Review Originally Posted on The Book Cookies

My Thoughts:
This book was pretty much exactly what I expected. The writing was good, the characters were likable and relatable, and the tone was realistic, but it was lacking that something special that could've made me really love it.
To start off with the positives, I thought that the characters were developed very well, and the writer gave us a very good insight into the way that each individual character thought. I really liked
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Allison Rushby and Netgalley.)
15-year-old Thea is banned from being famous, because her mother wants a different life for her. Thea just wants to dance though.
Can Thea really live her life out of the spotlight? Or will the spotlight find her on it’s own?

This was an okay story, but I think it’s aimed at younger teens.

Hartley was an okay character, but she did come across as pretty young, and a lit
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
So cute, funny and just generally an amazing book :)
Alisha Tarran
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fifteen year old Thea Wallis was born to entertain. She's a Hartley. Part of a family of entertainers, with an Oscar winning actress for a mother, and an Uncle. But her mother has kept her out of the spotlight since the day she was born. Coming from showbiz royalty it hasn't been an easy feat to go unnoticed, but the mismatched surnames helped quite a bit, not to mention the family home in Tasmania and a low key scriptwriter father, but Thea has the trademark Hartley hair, which is harder to cov ...more
Books
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2014
Being Hartley turned out to be such a pleasant reading experience. It’s one of those books you simply don’t want to put down once the story gets its hook into you. Where I would devour other such novels in one sitting, I instead savored it by reading only a few chapters a day, trying to hold onto this wonderful tale of family and love for as long as I could.

What made this such an extra special read for me is the family dynamics between the characters. Familial bonds are a very rare thing in YA.
Katja Berger
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Da jeg færdiggjorde Being Hartley havde jeg virkelig problemer med at finde ud af, hvad jeg faktisk syntes om den. Det var ikke fordi jeg hadede den fra først til sidst, men jeg elskede den heller ikke. Den satte faktisk ikke engang bemærkelsesværdige indtryk i mig.

I virkeligheden er der ikke så meget nyt i bogen. Temaet er det klassiske ”be careful what you wish for” der egentlig er set masser af gange før, men jeg kunne faktisk godt lide at det denne gang var fortalt fra “de populæres” synsvin
Hannah
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
"Because my absolute, utter, total, dream job? It's simply not possible. Most people think my mom's primary goal in life is to pick the best acting roles out there and to polish her craft. After all, that's what she's famous for. No Transformers XIII sequels for her. But the truth is, my mom's main aim in life is to stop me, her one and only child, from ever entering the entertainment business in any way, shape or form."

Thea Wallis is a normal fifteen year old girl. Except for the fact that she
Nikki
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My copy was provided by Netgalley.
Thea is from a family filled with talent. Her mother, Cassie Hartley, is an amazing actress. Rory, Thea's cousin, is famous for being on a television show all about dancing. And Thea is an aspiring dancer, but her mother doesn't want Thea to experience the troubles of being famous. Yet when Thea learns that her cousin is falling apart and possibly has a secret boyfriend, she travels to LA to be there for Rory, even though Thea's mother doesn't want Thea to be di
Mehsi
Received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I can say, I loved this book. The characters, the setting, the story everything was just 100% fun. Add to that some drama, some dancing and romance and you got a perfect mix.

What I really liked is how the Hartley family is pretty wealthy, yet they aren't the cliché rich people like you see in books. Throwing with money, bitching about things, demanding stuff and such. If we didn't know better we would say they are just your avera
Mrs.
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is really a coming-of-age story. If you don't read it that way, I don't think you will enjoy this book.

The main characters are a part of an acting dynasty. Because of that, there are some crazy people involved. The main character is Thea, who is the daughter of an Oscar winning actress and a screen writer dad who are still happily married in spite of all they encounter with the craziness of the acting world. Thea's mom, Cassie, was raised in this acting dynasty family with a crazy pill-popp
Emma
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Beth

This novel is a no holds barred look at Hollywood culture and in some sense pure unadulterated fame and fortune fun.
It’s hard not to empathise with Thea as she desperately wants to be the entertainer she was born to be and avoid a future in dentistry (who can blame her?). Her cousin Rory is something of an idol, having been on the stage since childhood and now making the transition into adulthood.
This is where it all goes awry and Thea sees her idol fall and completely go off the r
Monica
Having been dragged around the world for her entire life by her famous mother, Thea Wallis is finally ready for her own taste of stardom. She doesn't expect it to come at the cost of her cousin's happiness, though, and just when all her wildest dreams are about to come true she has to ask herself if that's what she really wants after all.

I was mildly disappointed in this story. While there are issues of dissatisfaction with life, possible forays into depression, and plenty of teenage rebellion a
Russell Sanders
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
As I read Allison Rushby’s Being Hartley, my inner teenage girl came out, and I embraced this charming book whole heartedly. I read a lot of young adult novels because, since I write them, I need to keep up with the competition and get immersed in the genre. Often, I wonder how some of these books got published (as, I’m sure, their authors may wonder about mine.) But I had no thoughts about Being Hartley. I chose it because the premise embodied all things pop culture that I enjoy reading about: ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Being Hartley was something different than what I was expecting. It’s a YA book, but on the younger side of that spectrum.

Thea is 15 years old. She is part of a family of stars- the Hartley’s. Her mother is famous but determined to keep Thea out of the spotlight. While Thea’s cousin works on a popular dance show in L.A., living the dream (Thea’s dream), Thea studies dance moves at home.

I liked Thea. She is a typical teenager but perhaps more level headed than most. She has moments of brillianc
Brianna C
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, review
This was a cute story that wasn't just about the romance and the love. It truly was about Thea finding herself and her family coming together.

What I Liked:

I really liked Thea and her mother. Her mom really was trying to do the best for her. Thea respected that, but like any teenager-she wanted more. They had a pretty realistic relationship with each other-minus the whole world famous thing.

Thea was also pretty well developed socially despite not really being around kids her own age. There were n
Moon Love
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm wondering what rock I've been living under. I had no idea Allison Rushby was such a prolific author and was blissfully unaware of all the books she's written, especially since many of them are now on my to-be-read list. When I first read the synopsis for this book I thought to myself, " This book sounds cute." All it took to hook me was the first chapter.

It's really hard not to like Thea. She's a teenager who is trying to find her place in her family and reconcile what she knows with what s
Ashley
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and entertaining book. Thea and Rory are cousins who are fighting to figure out who they are. Rory Hartley has been on the same show for years but with the coming changes so is fighting to get out of the show. Thea Wallis and her mother spend their vacation in LA and Las Vegas with Rory to help her through her struggles. The trip however is helping Thea decide who she is as well.

This is a great book that shows the struggles of living life as a star and always being in the spotligh
Jessica Ice
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Being Hartley is about a girl who feels like the third wheel around her family and friends because she knows nothing about their world. Yes she's a Hartley by blood Wallis by name but that doesn't mean she knows a thing about Show Biz. Her mother - a Hartley has been determined to keep her out of the spotlight and not let her see the harsh realities of the rich and famous.

My favorite aspects of Being Hartley is how the author makes different events very dramatic and accomplishes getting the rea
Katarina
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read.

Very well written, and not just about a girl's dream to be famous, but rather dives into the family dynamics of a mother not wanting her daughter to follow in her footsteps, and doing everything she can to shelter her from the reality of stardom.

Thea has dancing in her blood and she has to fight for being allowed to dance. It's not about typical teenage rebellion against the bad parents who just don't understand. Instead Thea accepts and understands where her mom is coming
Michelle Kidwell
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Being Hartley is the story of a young girl who was born into a family who is in the entertainment industry, but her Mother Oscar winning actress Cassie Hartley is doing everything in her power to deter her daughter from joining her ranks. She wants her daughter to have a normal life as possible.

Thea is a born entertainer though and she loves to dance, and will do anything to find an excuse to dancer, her cousin is on a popular show called Saturday Morning Dance and Thea dreams nothing more than
Sally
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this... SMD (Saturday Morning Dance) made me think of Dance TV from Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! I loved it! What an awesome show, and their live shows sounded so amazingly fun too - why doesn't it really exist?! I loved seeing the behind the scenes stuff too, all the politics of it all (be pretty like Ingrid, or funny like a grandpa/mom/6-year-old, but not "different" like Allie), the upcoming move from G to PG and what that all really meant for Rory... Thea's idea for Rory's next move wa ...more
Jessica
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I thought overall the book was pretty decent- the whole focus on family was really nice and it was kind of refreshing to have such an overall good feeling to the book. Of course there was a small shadow around that light but it wasn't overcoming them in any way. It just felt good to read about something nice- family loving family, people enjoying what they are doing.

Nothing super negative to say about the book.
Meaghan
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Thea is just trying to be a regular teenager in an unconventional family. Being 15 is hard enough without adding in everyone in your family being super famous and stalked by paparazzi all the time. Thea wants to dance, but the opportunity she takes could wind up causing more trouble than solving it. Add in her long time crush, and you have a recipe for a fun and entertaining read.
Kristi
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I didnt especially like it. But it was okay! There were some good reviews of this book so I thought I would try it. It just wasnt what I thought it would be. But some people might enjoy it. It just wasnt for me.
Caron
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
**An advance reading copy was obtained via NetGalley for the purpose of reviewing**

I quite enjoyed reading this. It was easy to read, the characters were likeable and I liked the story idea.

It felt like a familiar story to read and a bit fan-fiction-esque but I enjoyed it.
Vicky Kamen
Feb 10, 2016
Allison Rushby adores cities with long, winding histories; wild, overgrown cemeteries; redbrick Victorian museums; foxes; tea; and ivy. She lives in Queensland, Australia.