Start by marking “Me and Murder, She Wrote” as Want to Read:
Me and Murder, She Wrote

Me and Murder, She Wrote

From a sleepy little small town in the middle of Long Island to a place at the table in the exciting world of network television, I lived the impossible dream. I am 35 years old, happily married, scraping along well enough, but obsessed with the reality that I am not living the life I had always dreamt of. And then in a set of circumstances that would be unbelievable in a ...more
Published September 15th 2013 by Grove Point Press (first published September 6th 2013)

Start your review of Me and Murder, She Wrote
Nate LaClaire
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have a confession to make: I am a Murder, She Wrote junkie. Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I am a huge fan of the series, so when I saw Peter S. Fischer’s “unauthorized” autobiography available on NetGalley, I jumped at the chance to read and review it. In Me and Murder, She Wrote: My Adventures in Television with Angela Lansbury, Peter Falk and Jerry Orbach…Among Others, the Murder, She Wrote creator, television producer, and writer tells the story of his career, its highs ...more
Jenn Estepp
While not the most literary of memoirs, as a dedicated fan of Murder She Wrote and other shows Fischer worked on, I highly enjoyed this. It's definitely a snapshot in time of Hollywood and television, and a pretty honest one. And it's lovely to hear that my devotion to Angela, Jerry Orbach and Peter Falk is not misplaced. While I don't agree with Fischer on all his takes regarding MSW (UGH, to the Dennis Stanton episodes),I had a great time reading it.
Kevin Eggleston
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating account of working with the formidable Angela Lansbury (the other parts of his career were less interesting).
Julie
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Me and Murder, She wrote is a Grove Point Press publication released in September 2013. I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Peter S Fischer gives us an account of how he decided to become a writer, his first forays into screen writing which led to a few made for TV movies. This led to his writing one script for the mystery show "Columbo". Peter's script was the only one Peter Falk really liked and he kept wanting to bring Peter Fischer
Melisende
Being a fan of both Colombo and Murder She Wrote, I really enjoyed this trip down memory lane and getting in behind the scenes with the author.
Harry Hol
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I am a big fan of Murder, She Wrote. I can't exactly explain why. I was 11 years old when I saw the first episode, and have seen every episode plus the tv movies. There's just something very relaxing about the weekly cosy mystery, especially the first few seasons when plots where still fresh and settings fairly original.

So when I discovered this memoir by series creator Peter S. Fisher, I just had to pick it up. And I was not disappointed. Even though Fischer is never really going deep, and
Margareads
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a passionate fan of Murder, She Wrote. One of my earliest memories is sitting beside my mom in the living room at evenings while she watched an episode after a hard day at work. I own the whole series in DVD and even the TV movies. And I LOVE Angela Lansbury, of course. The eternal Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast (one of my favorite movies of all time) and a Disney Legend by right. So it was only natural for me to read the memoir of the man who invented the series in the first place, Pete ...more
Sam
Aug 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Fischer tries to rewrite history and tries to make himself look better than he was.

I am a massive MSW fan, great admirer of Angela Lansbury and I did my research over the years and his angle just doesn't add up!

There is a reason why it is an UNAUTHORISED autobiography and he covers his track from the get go by basically saying: I can't prove anything, I just write from memory.

He is a good writer and once I saw it more like fanfiction rather than a peek behind the scenes, I was entertained.
Danny Reid
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Zippy, fun autobiography about Fischer’s career. It’s surprisingly honest about how the sausage gets made, and very indicative of a certain era of television production where all of the execs are men and young secretaries are repeatedly referred to as beautiful.

The last chapter and afterward are pitches to buy his mystery books, and it’s somehow charming that he has such a lead touch with it, further proving his own points at being bad at self promotion.
Valerie Basham
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I'm a huge fan of Murder, She Wrote and got this book just to get some behind the scenes info. I enjoyed that part of the book. I was happy to read about "Columbo" in these pages as well. I was unaware that Peter Fischer wrote for that series - another of my favorites. The parts of the book that were about his career that didn't involve Columbo or Jessica Fletcher were not as good.
Daniel
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading 'behind-the-scenes' books from the entertainment world.  I suspect this comes from my own professional work backstage.

This particular book caught my eye because 1) Murder, She Wrote was one of my wife's favorite television shows (along with Columbo), and 2) I lived and worked in LA at the same as most of this book takes place, and much of the industry was familiar to me then.

Fischer's writing is quite readable (no surprise, since he wrote popular mystery/drama for millions of peo
Norma
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Disclaimer: I received this book free from Grove Point Press in exchange for an honest review. I did not receive any form of compensation.

Thinking back on all the things that remind me of my mom, MURDER, SHE WROTE is definitely one of them. I remember how we would get snacks and beverages ready and plop down onto the couch to watch the latest episodes. During the commercials we would try to hash out the clues that have been presented to see if we could figure out who did it. Angela Lansbury was
Biblio Files (takingadayoff)
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Peter S. Fischer was a television writer and producer whose most famous work was on the early years of Columbo and the first six years of Murder, She Wrote. In this memoir, he recalls how he got into the TV business in his thirties by knowing someone in the business. Getting your foot in the door is only the first step though. He succeeded by getting a reputation for writing snappy scripts in record time and managed to land on two of the most popular series of the 1970s and 1980s.

Fischer tells h
Beth
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I’m a huge fan of the show “Murder, She Wrote” and Angela Lansbury, so I was interested in reading this book by the original executive producer for the show. Peter Fischer wrote many episodes for a variety of popular TV series, including “Columbo,” “Ellery Queen” and others besides MSW. He comes across as a regular guy working in a not-so-normal field. The book is full of insider stuff about the television industry (and it is amazing how much happens when people meet to “do lunch”). He talks abo ...more
Dawn Thomas
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Me and Murder She Wrote by Peter S Fischer

264 Pages
Publisher: Grove Point Press
Release Date: September 15, 2013

Biography, Memoirs

I admit I loved watching Murder, She Wrote and still watch it on late night television. This book is written by the co-creator and writer for the series. Peter describes writing for other shows and the experiences behind the scenes with television executives and actors. I enjoyed his writing style and the photos scatter throughout the book.

After retiring from his scree
Lyn
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
More than just a look behind the scenes!
This book is much more than just a look behind the scenes of the successful series Murder She Wrote. It is a well written book of the story of one man’s journey into the world of writing in Hollywood. Mr. Fischer’s life is testimony to not giving up and believing in your craft. His story is fast paced and you’ll find yourself lost in the years gone by of stars and stories. A wonderful and genuine look at many famous names that make you wish you knew them p
Jacqueline
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge lover of Murder She Wrote as a glance at my Goodreads shelf can tell you and I devoured this book from digital cover to digital cover. Fischer not only gives us a behind the scenes look at the show but details of what it was like to be a struggling television writer. I enjoyed hearing about his process and his stories about Jerry Orbach, Jean Stapleton and Angela L herself. This book is a must buy for any Murder She Wrote fan and one of my Favorite Reads of 2014.

*I got this book as
Mary
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great look at the ongoings that occur behind the scenes for murder she wrote as well as other great tv shows from and era I grew up on. I found myself remembering many of these shows and often wondered what had happen to them. I enjoyed Peter's reminiscing of his early days in Hollywood and the personal insight to many of my favorite actors and actresses. I'm intrigued by his other stories and I will have to check them out.
Annice22
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Borrowed a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

This was good, it gave you a look at what goes on as TV shows are being made and how Peter Fischer career in writing took off. There were a few parts of the book I found boring but it was mostly because I didn't know what actor or TV show he was talking about.
Bradley Hayward
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Conversational memoir by an author with a knack for hooking a reader into effortlessly turning pages, one after another. Funny, entertaining, and informative, this is a great book for writers looking for a peek into what television production entails.
Nancy
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice little fluff piece to read. Enjoyable,but probably would have been more so if I was familiar with a lot of the shows and actors that were talked about. I was looking for a break from more serious, heavier reading. This was a good choice in that regard.
Pam Thomas
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this one was a bit interesting as far as memoirs go, loved the part about how he found Jessica Fletcher and the actress who he got for the part, just perfect and plays the character beautifully, also liked the way the writer shares some of his experiences.
Kathryn
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
If you like typos, rambling non-stories, and seemingly endless lists of television actors you've never heard of, this is the book for you!
Anne
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Found out some things about a number of actors that I did not know
Michelle's Book
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. This book cover is on my Pinterest board and my blog, Michelle Dragalin’s Journey.
Sonjia Sweeden

• Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
  • The Shadows
  • The Magic of Believing: A Lansbury Family Memoir
  • The Lost and Found Bookshop
  • Manuscript for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #48)
  • Dear NHS: 100 Stories to Say Thank You
  • Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy, #1)
  • The Darkest Evening (Vera Stanhope, #9)
  • The Woods Yearbook Edition Book One
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Book Love
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #8)
  • The Woebegone Twins (Tales from Schwartzgarten, #2)
  • White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)
  • Something is Killing the Children, Volume One
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
  • Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1)
Peter S. Fischer is a prolific writer producer with over 25 years of experience in network television. Among
his many credits is "Murder, She Wrote" which he co-created with the well-known television team of Richard
Levinson and William Link. He also served as Executive Producer for the first seven years and contributed
over 50 scripts. As producer he was the winner of two Golden Globes from the Holl

News & Interviews