Start by marking “Hero Tales from American History” as Want to Read:
Hero Tales from American History

Hero Tales from American History

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Daniel Boone will always occupy a unique place in our history as the archetype of the hunter and wilderness wanderer. He was a true pioneer, and stood at the head of that class of Indian-fighters, game-hunters, forest-fellers, and backwoods farmers who, generation after generation, pushed westward the border of civilization from the Alleghanies to the Pacific. As he himsel ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hero Tales from American History, please sign up.

Arthur Frank Hero Tales from American History. 1895. A collection of essays on historical personages including George Washington, Daniel Boone, John Quincy Adams,…moreHero Tales from American History. 1895. A collection of essays on historical personages including George Washington, Daniel Boone, John Quincy Adams, Francis Parkman, etc. (less)

Anne Marie
Honestly, meh. This should be re-titled as "White Men who Served in War and/or Political Office." Not one mention of any person of color and the only time "she" was used as a pronoun was in reference to a goddamn boat.

The history was interesting, sure, but the writing was bleh.

I'm honestly glad that society has progressed so much as to make this book irrelevant; you can't write a book about "heroes" and only talk about white men in war and have it be considered a compelling, award-worthy tome.
B
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is a strange compilation. First it seems like it is essays about American heroes. But then it starts focusing on Civil War battles without regard for individuals. The lofty praise for confederate soldiers and leaders is no longer politically correct but does show the intense "reconciliation" mood at the time it was written.
M Halverson
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent compilation

Important men and events in our history in brief. concisely recalled reminders of great heroism and terrible sacrifice. A must read for all U.S. history buffs.
Robert
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-us
Except for the fame of the authors, there is nothing particularly unusual about this book. Published in 1895, it is a collection of 26 patriotic tales intended to edify pre-adolescent boys. Written as such, they are easy to read, short in length, high in drama, and colored in black and white - each one a description of a courageous deed, a desperate struggle, a noble self-sacrifice - something to inspire emulation. All of Teddy Roosevelt's are of martial ardor, are full of blood and glory; Lodge ...more
Carol
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a great book to review US History from the Revolution thru the Civil war.
Valerie J K
Tales of American heroes, primarily great military heroes and their stories. I'm definitely putting this on my sons' to-read list, I think they'll like it more than I did. Roosevelt and Lodge paint pictures of famous men like Washington and Lincoln, but also tell of lesser known heroes. I loved the quote, "America will cease to be a great nation whenever her young men cease to possess energy, daring, and endurance, as well as the wish and the power to fight the nation's foes." One thing that sto ...more
Thom Swennes
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Beginning with the 1st President of the United States, George Washington and ending with the 16th President, Abraham Lincoln, Hero Tales from American History gives a summery history of a few great Americans. The histories were written more to inspire patriotism than to relay real fact; the book paints the traditional American heroes in blinding colors. The book is interspersed with patriotic and inspirational poems by poets that had never seen the field of battle or heard the boom of cannon. I ...more
I liked this collection of stories about great men from America's early years but did feel like it was a little propaganda-y. Although there were no stories about women I don't want to judge it by today's standards because it wasn't written for today, it was written to inspire young men in the late 19th century to do great things, and I'm fine with that. Plus TR - I mean come on, how could I not enjoy it?
Don
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a worthy book to repeat. Cool Courage and Reckless Daring.
John Pendergraft
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Several chapters nearly brought me to tears. Every school child should be made to read this book.
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation
  • Doomwar
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Disney Little Golden Book (Disney)
  • Birds of Prey #1