Start by marking “Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18)” as Want to Read:
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Never Go Back

(Jack Reacher #18)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  51,607 ratings  ·  3,948 reviews

Why? He wants to meet the new commanding officer, Major Susan Turner. He

Published September 3rd 2013 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Never Go Back, please sign up.
Marc You don't have to, no previous information is necessary. Technically this story line is an arc that was started back a few books ago - but it is not…moreYou don't have to, no previous information is necessary. Technically this story line is an arc that was started back a few books ago - but it is not critical other than to know he was on his way back to Virginia. The books in between have no relevance to this story, He kinda got sidetracked on his way to Virginia.(less)

·  51,607 ratings  ·  3,948 reviews

Rosemary
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where is Jack Reacher? Who is this imposter?

I am a huge Lee Child / Jack Reacher fan, and have been reading these books for years, but it has got to the point where I say that this could very well be my last Jack Reacher purchase. It pains me to say this, as these books have been the highlight of my reading calender for a long time.

There were a few times when I seriously considered not finishing the book, but this is Lee Child and Reacher, surely it can only get better? No, the writing was consi
Ahmad Sharabiani
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18), Lee Child
Never Go Back is the eighteenth book in the Jack Reacher series written by Lee Child. It was published on 3 September 2013 in the United States. After an epic and interrupted journey all the way from the snows of South Dakota, Jack Reacher has finally made it to Virginia. His destination: a sturdy stone building a short bus ride from Washington D.C., the headquarters of his old unit, the 110th MP. It was the closest thing to a home he ever had.
تاریخ نخ
Harry
Book Review
 photo reacher_zps376eab7c.jpg

Jack Reacher is back, in this, the 18th in the series. Like all the others I read this in one or two sittings in spite of the fact that some parts did not involve as much action as we have come to expect from this series. Lee Child's skill in causing one to turn the page is really quite excellent. Completing the book I took a look around GR and touched base with some fellow fans of this series. Although I was going to give this book a 4 star rating, reading their reviews caused me to
Kaceey
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried my hardest to finish this book before the movie came out, but I was a couple weeks too late. Actually it could be closer to a month by now! I kept putting it down as it just didn't hold my interest. Couldn't get into it.

I hope I enjoy the movie more than I did the book. To me it was the same old Jack Reacher, saving the world and finding a little love along the way, only to move onto the next town and do it all over again.

I still enjoy the series and will keep reading it. I am too far in
Jason
You're going to like this, or you're not going to like this. Fifty-fifty.
James Thane
While traveling through South Dakota in 61 Hours, ex-military cop Jack Reacher had occasion to call in to his old office in Washington, D.C, the headquarters of the 110th MP. Reacher once commanded the unit but it now belongs to Major Susan Turner. Reacher decided that Turner had a very nice voice and, on the strength of that impression, he has slowly been making his way in the direction of D.C. in the hope that she will go out to dinner with him.

As this book opens, he finally arrives only to di
Andrew Smith
Cards on the table. I like Reacher, always have, but I might be getting a bit tired of reading the same story.

I settled in to read the latest offering and at first it was like meeting up with an old friend, it prompted a smile of anticipation as I turned the first page (albeit electronically these days). I like the routine stuff: the coffee drinking, the luggage load of a toothbrush and nothing more, the alarm clock in his head and all the rest. I like the clinically linear way the stories are t
Deb Mj
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like a 3.5 for me. Much better than the last offering, this is classic Reacher. However, after 17 of these books, I was hoping for a bit of evolvement in Reacher's character or life position. There were glimmers of hope, but in the end we're still left with Reacher on his own, kicking ass and righting all the world's wrongs. I love Reacher, but I have to admit that I'm getting just a little bit bored.

And, not having written a review since "A Wanted Man", which came out after the casting of
Linda Wells
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Jack Reacher novel continues the series of deceptively simple, well conceived and crafted, and satisfying novels. Reacher is a bit more mature at times but always ahead of the story curve. The plot is timely, and the story is driven by ethical dilemmas faced by Reacher as a result of his past.

I try to anticipate the ending in as much detail as practical, but Never Go Back was a challenge in this regard. Never Go Back is a worthwhile read, even for a new Reacher fan.
Michael
There is such a purity in Child’s formula, I can’t resist it. All variations on a primal theme of one man against a Goliath of corrupt forces. A haiku of nouns and verbs, of chase and run, the reading of tea leaves like ripples that point to the track of sharks. Brave confrontations with desperados without even a butter knife. In this one our ex-military policeman hero Reacher breaks the mold by teaming with a twin, the new female chief of his former MP unit. Child whets us with small glimpses o ...more
Lo9man88
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's so frustrating all this moving around and all this wandering, our hero can't settle down , i think deep down he's afraid of building a life for him and thus becoming an ordinary man .
Otherwise i loved this book : ain't no messing around with the MP , Reacher kicked so much ass and i think I'm a little disappointed that Sam didn't turn out to be his daughter after all, it would have changed things drastically for him.
I laughed my ass off when Susan told our boy you're so feral ....
The cooles
Courtney Vasiliev
Never Go Back (Reacher #18)
Lee Child ☆★☆★

I won an advance copy from goodreads first reads.

WOW! First Reacher novel Ever and certainly will not be my last.
Lee Child did a great job with making it a stand alone novel, but sometimes throughout the book I thought it would have been a little more helpful to read the past books and have a back story. But with that said I was still able to follow on and enjoy this novel.

In this novel Jack Reacher goes to Virginia to Meet Major Susan Turner who had in
Stacey
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by Lee Child. I love the character of Jack Reacher! There’s nothing like starting a series at #18. It read like a stand alone, but lucky for me there are so many more :)
Edward Wolfe
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
There's not much I can say here. If you're a Jack Reacher fan, get this book.

If you're not yet, then do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Killing Floor - the first Jack Reacher book. Once you've fallen in love with Reacher, rejoice in the fact that there are 17 more novels to get absorbed and lost in.

This book was a great way to lose more than half of a Saturday. People always ask the same stupid question at work on Monday mornings: How was your weekend? [As if anyone really gives a f* how
Book Addict Shaun
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Go Back was another fantastic instalment in this series and the book where Reacher finally gets to Virginia after whole books worth of delays. What leads him to his old army base is that he liked the voice of the woman that now does his job. If only he wasn’t a typical male thriller character led by his dick then this story may never have existed. This genre does love a cliched character.

That said I did love seeing Reacher having to become a fugitive across America as he was hunted down m
Larry
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the characters in the 18th Jack Reacher book, an army MP major (like Reacher) sums Reacher up economically: "It's like you've been sanded down to nothing but yes and no, and you and them, and black and white, and live or die (176-177)." There's a lot in this book to support that view, but, as usual, there's a few moments that make it clear that Reacher isn't really "feral," as the other major characterizes him. WHat happens to a scared young waitress matters, just as what Reacher admires ...more
Lewis Weinstein
If you like the Reacher series, this one will suit you fine. Fast paced, engrossing, packed with action ... and even a few tender moments.

A note on Child's technique ... the chapters roll forward, with the next one always picking up where the previous one left off. The story rushes forward and never misses a beat. Maybe that's why so many readers (including me) report reading a 500 page book in two nights.

I would not, however, recommend this as the first Reacher you should read, since there is
Miles
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Jack Reacher is back and don’t worry folks he’s back with his usual swagger, confidence and his remarkable ability to get things done, completely on his own terms and in his own time of course. Never Go Back is another rip roaring adventure with arguably the most iconic action hero of the modern literary world. Who wouldn’t want to be in his shoes? Yet again he takes no prisoners and his no nonsense approach is refreshing, one can never get enough of The Reacher!

Although we come across a little
Fred
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NYT Best Seller #1 - Sep. 22, 2013
IMDb movie review (2016)

Never Go Back Movie trailer - 2016
x-Major Reacher of the 110th CO of MP (Commanding Officer/Military Police), wants to meet his replacement Major Susan Turner CO/MP. Arriving he’s accused of a soldier murder & a paternity suit that he is a father - daughter, Samantha Dayton(15)?

Reacher finds Turner’s in “pre-trial confinement“ for taking an offshore export bribe, $100,000 deposit. He had no confinement. Did they expect Rea
Bette
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bob Dylan said, "You can always go back, but you can't go back all the way".I think even the title, "Never Go Back" is a clue to Reacher 2014.I found out about Jack Reacher late, so I didn't have to wait for annual installments until about 5 books ago.I really liked who and what he was, and thought Lee Child was a good purveyor of this huge ex-Marine (MP) drifter, good-guy, Jack Reacher. The books do not have to be read in order, but I was fortunate to read him as he grew.
And, then, Tom Cruise g
Rex Fuller
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is good Reacher, almost as good as the first few. If you are new to the series read them in order, but if this one is somehow on your list first it does stand on its own. He returns to his old HQ near Arlington Cemetery to see the new CO, because she is a woman whose voice he liked on the phone. He finds she is in confinement awaiting trial on nebulous charges. Then the Army begins prosecuting him for a murder that happened sixteen years ago. He breaks them both out of jail and the bulk of ...more
Subroto
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-thriller
So the 2013 Reacher book is finally out !!!

Disclaimer : I am a Jack Reacher Fan Bitch.

So what are the good things which you can look forward to ?

Reacher fighting men "with both his hands behind his back", Reacher disabling 2 of his trackers inside a passenger cabin of a commercial airline and no one noticing and Reacher telling you how West Virginia is basically one big ATM. - that's all there and much more !

In short this book is as Reacheresque as it can be.

This is Classic Reacher + in my opi
Steve
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sporadically ... not terribly quickly or methodically ... working my way through the series ... with, albeit, decreasing enthusiasm....

I was far more taken with some of the earlier books in the series (particularly the first one) - they fell right into my travel reading sweet spot (didn't require too much concentration, the pages kept turning, etc.) - and the travelogue (drifter) and military aspects appealed to me..., yet now I find that the gaps between when I reach for the next installment -
Mark
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Go Back (A Jack Reacher novel) by Lee Child

I hate to say it … but after 18 books, Reacher is starting to suffer from the Spenser Syndrome: a great character that is becoming redundant.

Robert B. Parker’s Spenser novels were phenomenal books until about #14 … then trouble seeps in. And the more Spenser’s main squeeze, Susan Silverman, is involved in the story, the worse it is.

Same with Child. Reacher is one of the most interesting characters but over the last few novels, (particularly with
Kathy Davie
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Eighteenth in the Jack Reacher suspense series. This story starts in Washington D.C.

My Take
Reacher is definitely an odd duck, out of step with the majority of society with his preference for his aloneness. I was going to say lonely life, but he’s not. He’s quite happy to be a rolling stone, and I have to admit that I worry about him. I know. He’s fictional. And I do worry what’ll happen to him as he gets older, less able to swing those mighty, meaty arms.

It’s certainly one way to know if your ch
William
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5-stars, perhaps Child's best Reacher.

I read this straight through with only 2 hours sleep. WOOHOOO! Child, you b'stard! 😊

If you saw the movie first, don't worry. It's a good movie that diverges completely from this great book, pretty early on.

Reacher finally makes it to DC to meet the woman he talked with several books ago ("61 Hours") while he was being abused way out west. As usual, Reacher arrives just in time to drop deep, deep into the brown stuff. And as usual, he is soon in personal jeop
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, thriller
You know, over time I've read quite a few of the Reacher books now. I read them in groups of 2 or 3 at a time. I've commented before on why that is.

This one is a good read and I decided to go all 5 stars. The books run a gamut from excellent to...oh well better luck next time". This one? As I said, I liked it.

Here Jack is post military (some books take place while he's still an MP Major [or captain whatever] some after he's...well not military). He has had occasion to talk to the new commander o
Mike
Never Go Back gets 3 Stars. A better book than his last one but I have to agree with another reviewer-Reacher is starting to get a little boring. He really doesn't change with the passage of time. This story revolves around his return to his 110th MP command, now led by another Major...definitely better looking than him but just as tough-minded. The plot is not as good as some of his other work, involving a conspiracy of individuals at the highest levels of the Pentagon and in Afghanistan. Reach ...more
Ed
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Long on logistical detail and elaborate planning monologues and short on the action required to move the plot along expeditiously can be attributed to Reacher's new adventure. Unfortunately, Lee Child's initially winning formula has become somewhat tedious and "been there, done that". I will of course, continue to purchase and read every new, annually published Reacher book and hope for the best.
Melenia
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
May 2015 - Decent

September 2016 - Better

July 2017 (Dick Hill audio book) -I love the Jack Reacher books!
Lee Child's 'Jack Reacher' novels 4 15 Apr 22, 2019 01:00AM