Start by marking “Note To Self” as Want to Read:
Note To Self

Note To Self

In a world where technology controls everything, sometimes your own handwriting is the only thing you can trust.

Richard Henley is an ordinary man leading an ordinary life, but when he finds strange notes in his own handwriting warning that someone is trying to kill him, he is sent on a journey to places he never knew existed. With an ominous and all-powerful organisation o
Published September 17th 2013 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about Note To Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Note To Self

Storm
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Firstly, my thanks to Diversion Books for sending me this book to review.

"Richard Henley is an ordinary man leading an ordinary life, but when he finds strange notes in his own handwriting warning that someone is trying to kill him, he is sent on a journey to places he never knew existed...."

Ok, so that one line in the synopsis was enough to turn my head! I cant get enough of that weird thriller type stuff. So I got started, and very quickly got drawn right in.

This is another of those difficul
Daniel
I received an electronic copy of this from the publisher through NetGalley.

I tore through the first two-thirds of this short, action-accelerated novel in a brief afternoon last week, but it took me the course of a busy second week to complete the final third. Sadly it was not just my busyness, but a declining interest that made this more difficult to finish off.

The novel wastes no time getting into the action, a multi-parallel-world SF ride. At the start, when things are still unclear to the re
Kayla (The Thousand Lives)
My Initial Thoughts/Rambling: Now that I actually look at the cover in a bit more detail, I realize that those dangly things aren't the jangles you hang in your door way, but actually binary code. Now it makes a lot more sense - and the cover is a perfect representation of the core theme of the book! Possible Spoilers Ahead.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of Note to Self from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What did I think about the characters? This isn't a YA book like I usually
Stefanie Wille
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Do you want more reviews like this? Check out my blog about books

This book was definitely a fun read, I also finished this book quite fast accordingly. The storyline was very interesting and Richard was a great main character. But there was just that something that was missing in this story, I just can’t quite put my finger on it (and we all know that’s not a fun feeling). But overall I really did enjoy this book and it’s definitely worth your time! I’ll try to not spoil this book during the rev
Sasha
Richard Henley is a regular middle-aged dude with nothing much going on. And then he gets these weird hand-written notes warning him about bad guys trying to kidnap him. The creepy part? The notes are all written in his own handwriting and keep rewriting themselves, as if having a conversation with his unspoken thoughts. Ooooooh. And that's how this sci-fi adventure thriller begins!

I'm conflicted, because the story was great. I love multiverse stories (The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas is my f
Julie
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
If I was rating this book on only the last half, it would have gotten 4.5 stars, easy. The beginning was just so slow for me. I really struggled. I had one of those, UGH feelings when I picked up my Nook. I just really wasn't interested. I'm glad that I pushed through, though. The payoff at the end was completely worth it.

I don't think that there was one certain thing that made the beginning hell for me. In all probability, it was a combination of things ... it just dragged on like a nightmare
Sanna
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note to Self is a carefully thought out, mind-boggling sci-fi experience. It follows Richard Henley, a normal man just going about his everyday routine who is suddenly warned to run, to get out now. You follow the journey of Richard through strange places as he realises he is part of something bigger than he could ever have imagined. When notes start to appear in his handwriting, notes he hasn’t written, this is just the tip of the strangeness this story encompasses.

I throughly enjoyed this stor
Julie
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, sci-fi, action, 2013
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The main character was Richard Henley. An ordinary man whose life was turned upside down and he managed to receive help from an unusual source.

I liked the beginning when Richard didn't know what was going on. The story was vaguely trippy in a good way.

I really liked the action sequences. The car chases were particularly exciting.

I would have rated this higher except there were two things I had problems with. At one point Ri
Sara
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note to Self was an interesting book, and quite thought provoking too, when it comes to the role that technology has in our lives and the choices we make when we use that technology. Over all, I found it to be a very good book, and one I enjoyed a lot. I would recommend it to anyone who likes science fiction and the concept of alternate realities and other dimensions. What I especially liked about the book is the fact it's set in London, and I've always had a fascination with that city.

As far a
Stephanie
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read "Note to Self" by Peter Ward through NetGalley. It is a sci-fi book with an unusual take on time travel, not giving away details, as things are revealed that you might want to discover for yourself. It grabbed me right at the beginning and I bought the premise and the perspective was quite interesting and actually believable. I would have given it 5 stars but it went on a bit longer than it might have, and I was tempted to skip ahead, but stuck with it, so, I think it could have used a bi ...more
Kasey Cocoa
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-requested
I loved the cover right off. The writing is very clean and easy to follow with just the right amount of detail. It was easy to connect to Richard as he tells his story, giving the reader insight to his thoughts and way of processing information. He felt very real, fleshed out and layered. I enjoyed his development and interactions with Cassandra, who also felt fleshed out and strong. The plot was captivating and well paced most of the way through except for the last bit which seemed hurried or j ...more
Charleen
This was a fun and fast-paced adventure that ended up being quite different from what I was expecting. I flew through it in just a couple sittings. The biggest thing keeping me from rating this higher is that the moral is a little heavy-handed for me. Still, I definitely plan to read more by this author.

You can read an extended review on my blog:
Review: Note to Self

(review copy received via NetGalley)
Connie
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be quite an unique read. I am not sure that I would say that I like it a lot but I couldn't seem to put it down. I was fascinated with the delivery of the author and the tie-in to the characters. I found the different dimensions equally enthralling as well as the concept of self-gain and corruption that ran throughout the novel. As I stated, I was extremely curious to see how the story was going to draw to an end.
Paul Ledbury
Ellie Rees
Aug 11, 2015
Bill
Mar 29, 2016
Peter Ward was born in London in 1980. He was educated at William Torbitt Primary School and Ilford Country High School in Essex, before studying English Literature at the University of Southampton.

He lives in London with his wife Lucy and a very small cat.