Start by marking “Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween” as Want to Read:
Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween

Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween

The ancient Celts believed that the veil separating the worlds of the living and the dead was at its thinnest on Halloween; it was then that the dead could get through. But could it work the other way? Could we go to them? High school senior Sam McGrath is convinced it can be done. For as long as he can remember, The Nowhere has been beckoning him, reaching out with cold a ...more
Published August 14th 2013 by Waxlight Press (first published August 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gods of The Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods of The Nowhere

Start your review of Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween
Renee
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, horror, 2013
Gods of Nowhere is the perfect book to celebrate Halloween. The book is Halloween. From the Irish myths at the heart of Samhain (and the prelude of the novel itself) to all the modern Halloween iconography, this book doesn't disappoint. It's equal parts adventure and horror -- though I didn't find the book terribly creepy. Highly recommended for a seasonal read.
John Hennessy
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2014
A strong 3.75 rounded up to 4. Had its moments!
Jackie's Bookbytes
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
God’s of The Nowhere by James Tipper, is a horrific fantasy about a boy who descends from a great druid and doesn’t know it. Some bad things start happening on his 16th birthday. He has to learn the clues of who he is with the help of his best friend. They travel to the land of nowhere and encounter all sorts of terrible creatures.

I came across Gods of the Nowhere from a comment recommending it for all hallows read. I am glad I did because it truly is the ultimate Halloween read! If
Amy
Oct 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Incredibly disappointing, since the overwhelming good reviews on goodreads had me really excited to read this book. It reads like a self-published piece with no editor - a potentially interesting idea with horrible execution and poor writing. I was literally cringing as I read this because the clunky writing reminded me of exactly how I used to write when I was in middle school. I generally do not post reviews on books I didn't enjoy because I don't want to publicly bash someone's work, but in t ...more
Sara
Sep 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
The idea of a thriller novel that brings together magic, mythology, religion, and suspense to tell the story of Halloween=good. The execution of this idea in Gods of the Nowhere=humorously bad.

There was nothing scary or chilling about this novel, except that the majority of reviews for it seem positive (Frightening!)

I'm with my fellow book-club member on this: Highly recommend skipping Gods of the Nowhere.
Buttons
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked it!! Terrific book!!
Kevin
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best horror/fantasy book I have read in quite a while. The book deals with my favorite holiday-Halloween. Solid plot and character development. I wondered if I would like a book mainly about teens, albeit older teens. But the book held my attention and is easy reading. If witches, assorted fantasy characters, cemeteries, lots of animated corpses and a killer car interest you, then this is your book.
Lemont Zucchini
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book for Halloween! Great story filled with characters you can hate or love (or both!). The author follows the "rule of three" pretty much to the letter, making it somewhat predictable, but nonetheless a fun spooky read! The writing was smooth (although a few typos in the first edition) and evenly paced. On a bit of a negative note, the book is largely blasphemous, so if that bothers you don't pick this one up.
Kylie Mcdonald
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 13-25
The novel Gods of the Nowhere: A novel of Halloween is an interesting Horror book about the Celtic rituals around Halloween and what the Gods do for it. I can;t really say a lot about the book or else it will give everything away or be entirely confusing and no one will understand the review so I will try my best. This novel is set in 200 Ad Ireland and talks about the veil of the living and dead being the thinnest on Halloween so that's when the Duieties or the Powerful Celtic Priests are able ...more
Cari
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gods of the Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween really is the ultimate Halloween read. Every fall, I enjoy reading books that are dark and creepy with some sort of Halloweenish vibe, but this is the first book I've read that so perfectly captures All Hallows Eve. It managed to be adventurous and imaginative without being juvenile. It was fun, yet had a bit of a horror-like tone... Basically, it would be a great Tim Burton movie!

Most of all, I love the world-building James Tipper did here. The Nowhere was so w
France-Andrée
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I was very disappointed in this book, I was looking for something Halloweeny, but all I got was a story that never gets exciting. I wished I had known this was a book about teenagers and magic, I would have stayed away, I think. The only thing interesting in this book are some of the creatures living in The Nowhere, it does show the author's imagination... but the rest, it's just one of those books about magic... I guess they are "inspired" by the Harry Potter series (dreaming of the same money ...more
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
I gave this book a fair chance, but at 175 pages I just felt like I was wasting my time on it. This book really could have used a good editor. It had some good moments, but overall both the writing and the plot felt week. It's a shame, because it had a lot potential.
Misty Porter
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amelia Quirke
Oct 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was terrible. I mean really, really terrible. Clunky dialogue,cringe-worthy plot - the only scary thing about this book was how predictable it was.
Austin
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for Halloween lovers. Totally fun to read. Lots of histroy, myth and fantasy blended together.
Julie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, nook, horror, fantasy, 2016
Thank goodness I finally finished this one! It was a real struggle, but I persevered. Just ehhh.....
Thaydra
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, halloween, fiction
I really enjoyed this book, and I read it (obviously) at the perfect time. I did feel more like a young adult book to me, rather than adult fiction. That said, I found the way the author wove so many different cultural/religious/etc viewpoints of the Samhain season into the book, and his version of how and why we have the traditions that we do. Sometimes it felt a bit hammy, but overall it was a very quick and pleasurable read. Recommended.
Anna
Oct 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I do not often leave a book unfinished. This was a pick for book club and I could only get about half way through. Book Club changed books for the month of October because of how boring the book became. This is not a scary book by any means, it is cheesy more then anything. When the two main characters were in "nowhere", (where the dead go if they don't go to Heaven or Hell) and they were talking to Jack of the Lantern....I just couldn't read any more.
WendyB
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A fun read for the month of October.
Dale McGrath
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved the mystery and action of this book. I thought it was a little slow to get going, but once it was rolling, I was all-in!
Chrissy
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't know how to give it 3 1/2 stars so just went with 4. It actually was good but not what I was expecting. Great for kids...probably make a great movie too.
Ali Nodal
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is seriously one of the best books I've ever read. I wasn't ready for it to end, I was, I still am, so enthralled with the characters and story line. Amazing.
Jamie Z.
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fabulous, vivid, inventive, and rich story! I loved this read. The characters were great and the imagery was perfect. Some of the dialogue was cheesy but considering it was coming from teenagers, it makes sense. I loved being enveloped in all things Halloween and especially loved meeting the different players from The Nowhere.
Ali Schultz
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
For over three years, this has been on my to-read list. And for what? For naught. A narrative that wastes such good mythology. The good that can be said is that the mythologies are well researched and honestly represented. The bad is that they are thrown together artlessly.
Brigette
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: halloween
Good idea ....terrible prose. The story is an interesting concept but the prose are so bad I had to give up about half way through which is unusual for me. Tripper constantly changes tense from present to past which annoyed me to no end. If you can get past that it might be worth a read for you
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Gods of The Nowhere is an imaginative novel, perfect for reading during Halloween. However, it's slow to start and more than a bit scatter-shot, which ultimately bring it down to just "solid" level.

Sam McGrath has never been an ordinary teen. He's haunted by ghosts, can see the future, and his family died under mysterious circumstances. He is drawn into The Nowhere, a purgatory-like dimension between Heaven and Hell, to defeat an ancient evil that's trying to break into our world.
Tyler Bray
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was pretty fun read in order to get in the mood for Halloween.

The novel centered around a boy by the name of Sam "Hain" MacGrath. Sam is a normal kid who lives in Colma, CA. (A city outside of San Francisco that is one large graveyard) Through a lot of premonitions and strange happenings Sam has always felt out of place, until he discovers that he comes from a long line of Irish druids descended from the great Mog Ruith.

The prologue depicts a battle in Ireland around 600 AD where Mog
Sonia_Lena
Oct 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
Voodoo Child
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full of wonder and imagination. It's like a big, dime-store Halloween card come to life with all the iconography, myth, atmosphere and spookiness that you want with a book that calls itself "a novel of Halloween".

I think some reviewers here seem to be confused thinking it was supposed to be a horror novel with blood and guts or zombie hordes. No, this is far more mystical than that. It is a fantasy with spooky atmosphere and loads of research put into it, though it comes off as a breezy read. ...more
Vanessa
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a fun and whimsical look at the origins of Halloween, with stories detailing the legends behind Jack-O-Lanterns, witches, and all things we associate with the holiday. However, I found that the author paid unnecessary attention to detailing specific movements and thoughts of the characters; a habit I find common in insecure writers. The story was full of holes, and worst of all (to me) was the inexcusable amount of grammatical and punctuation errors. It certainly got me in the Halloween ...more
Play Book Tag: Gods of the Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween/James Tipper/4 Stars 1 10 Oct 22, 2018 01:45PM
Book-A-Holics, No...: Gods of Nowhere 22 5 Sep 05, 2016 09:17PM
Book-A-Holics, No...: Gods of Nowhere 1 5 Oct 04, 2014 08:43AM
Fact or fiction? 1 11 Jan 04, 2014 11:47PM
The Very Omnibus ...: October's 2nd BotM-Gods of The Nowhere 17 10 Nov 04, 2013 11:00PM

• The Cold
  • Ghosts, Goblins, Murder, & Madness: Twenty Tales of Halloween
  • Scavenger Hunt
  • Divergent Series Complete Box Set (Divergent, #1-3)
  • Yoga Girl
  • The Razor's Edge
  • Four: A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4)
  • Family Secrets (Whispering Pines Mystery #1)
  • Cycle of the Werewolf
  • Paws and Effect (Mystic Notch Cozy Mystery, #4)