Start by marking “Project 17” as Want to Read:
Project 17

Project 17

Lillian is merely looking for a babysitting job for the summer, but a desperate man named Paul Dolores hires her to look after his 28-year-old brother, Caleb. Caleb is suffering from schizoaffective disorder, and Paul, who is about to start on his first office job in a long while, wants to make sure his brother takes his medication on time. Lillian, at first hesitant, acce ...more
Published September 7th 2013 by Visprint, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Project 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project 17

Start your review of Project 17
Neil (or bleed)
3.5 but rounding up to 4.

Project 17 is a fast-paced, page-turner, futuristic sci-fi thriller. It's compelling and confusing in a good way. You know, the kind that makes you wonder what is really going on. You already have an idea but you're not sure about it so you read, read and read just to confirm your confusion and assumptions.

What I like:

- The familiar setting of the story which is mainly in Bulacan. It feels like home, really. It feels great reading about this.
- Fast pacing. I can't stop r
Fantaghiro23
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Dear Eliza,

I liked the book. Didn't love it, but I love what you set out to do here. And I think it only bodes well for your work and for Filipino literature in general.

Things I liked about Project 17:

- The short chapters. Gives the whole story a really fast pace.
- The snarky dialogue. I love a set of characters who sound smart and witty.
- The obvious love for science. It wasn't some just haphazard, tacked-on thing. It felt like you did your research or already had a good working knowledge of ph
Rissa Flores
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, with-review
A good quick read. Enjoyed the futuristic setting and the fast-paced chapters. The shortness of the novel (only 160 pages!) was both a good thing and a bad thing for me. Good thing 'cause it made the novel very engaging and not draggy. Bad thing 'cause it didn't allow character development or any depth towards the characters. The novel was like a good pilot episode of a cool new TV series; it seems unfinished but it's definitely worth reading.
Nikka Angela
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
if you read the first chapters, you'll question what genre are you reading.
At first, I thought it was suspense. Then, as Caleb became violent, I thought, it's all about psychotics and just that. Then, as I go further it's a mystery-type story.

the beginning is very disturbing or maybe I'm having so many questions in my head that it starts to get on me. The thing about this book is that, it gives you the goosebumps and makes you agitated to read on.
Maria Ella
Oh with all the stresses in life this year, I finally had the chance to read a book in one sitting. This did not disappoint. It was a definite page-turner for me.
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
From mystery to suspense to sci fi. I loved it! I want some closure tho huhuhu
Maria
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Should've been a 3-star, but Paul's turnaround at the last few pages... wow. :D
Selkie ✦ Queen
"God, Lillian. You take up a summer job only to trip into a conspiracy."

Eliza Victoria has consumed me wholly this year though our love affair as authoress and admirer has been, on some occasions, an infrequent and most unsure relationship, but I take comfort in the private knowledge that our rendezvous point will always be located within the rich tapestry of her stories. The gift of her prose and imagination has revitalized the way I look at certain areas in my life, and I'd like to believe
Kevin Cortes
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story is set in the Philippines, mostly in Hagonoy, Bulacan. The country is seen to be in the period wherein technology has taken over our security. The SentryServ becomes the future Police Intelligence with the Sentry serving as the ground police enforcer who maintains peace and order round the clock.

The story unravels itself in an amazingly fast pace.

This is the first time I've read a novel whose plot involves robots and drugs targeting schizoaffective disorder. The writer included a nice
Joanna Paula Cailas
Once started, unputdownable. Afterword/acknowledgments says this is an expansion of a story... I'll be looking for that story. I loved Project 17-- succinct and scary and magnificent --maybe I'm biased but fuckit, I loved imagining ol' third world Pinas like this, guarded by incorruptible Sentries. Whoo!

Could have been expanded MORE but it's good as it is, IMO. Short and minty-fresh, just a hint of sweetness in the relationships (friendships), all the characters memorable despite the word count
Larisse
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
No complaints about narration and the world-crafting was amazing. But why do I feel like it's a rough draft of a novel?

I think the characterization is weak. Somehow, I didn't feel that Caleb and Paul treated Lillian as family... Or why there was a need to investigate the whole thing... It just felt bare and lacking.

I still enjoyed reading it though. Although if it was set in a place somewhere else (not the Philippines), it would hardly be different or new.
R.
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this short, futuristic story written by Filipino author, Eliza Victoria, and set in Manila. The story is well developed and the characters are interesting. Can we ever really get away from the greed and hunger for power that drives too many? Maybe if we create the perfect control...or maybe not...
Anthony Kristianne Tang
This could have been a 4-star to me should the problem wasn't resolved quickly. I mean, come on. You might want to keep us on the edge of our seats once in a while. Still, it's a good and easy read to me. Fast-paced and good characters are among its strong suits.
Louize
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Louize by: Lynai
Shelves: 2014
Izzie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I first read Eliza Victoria's other novel "Wounded Little Gods" and fell in love with her writing style and characters. This book definitely did not have the same depth of plot or character development but this quick 160-page read was definitely thrilling! So many of the scenes read as movies in my mind and it'd be so cool if one day this could somehow become a blockbuster hit.

Loved the relevance to history (past and contemporary) happening in the Philippines (especially given the current politi
Pamala
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I have read three books of Eliza so far and this is the only one that feels complete. I love the world building here, it feels now and yet feels future.

PS Why can't I find her books in the local book store? I have bought this copy second hand from a facebook seller.
Regina
90%. .
100% . .
Please wait. .
Welcome. . .

I read this years ago and this is the only time i wrote review because i re read the book again

Project 17 is for me, one of most ambitious novel that i ever read, the reason was this is an ultimate sci-fi. and the shortest sci-fi novel that i read. (wait, i think this is novella)

I'm sure Maam Eliza Victoria will remember me, if Maam Eliza will see this, Maam i am the one who drew a Project 17 fan art on my twitter and show i
Lynai
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eliza Victoria, you are amazing! Such a good read by a Filipino author. Highly recommended.
Kristel Villar
Want a fast-paced science fiction novella written by a Filipino author? Here it is! It offers something different from all the Pinoy lit that we have. I love what Eliza Victoria did in this story by taking the Philippines in the not-so-distant future where robots/Sentries take charge of security and pharmaceutical companies rule the country. I loved the characters especially Lillian and her friends, and got easily connected to them. Lillian is one fiesty woman I'd like to have as a friend! I hop ...more
Eric Jay
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Fast paced story though after reading the book, I find that I have not reached the climax of the story. Nonetheless with a setting in a dystopian like Philippines. I like the idea of our futuristic country having robocops instead of the usual human sentries wherein the book explains that, "Justice can only be delivered by someone who doesn't care about how much he's paid, or where he is in the chain of command. Someone who's ego won't be inflated by grandeur or power. Someone who wont be influen ...more
Carien
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
This should have been a novel instead of a novella.

The story is intriguing and suspenseful, but because of the length it is resolved too quickly.

While reading it I found myself thinking how this story could easily have been stretched into a longer one. I found myself plotting where I would have added scenes and events to build up even more tension before things happened or were discovered.

Maybe this makes it sound as if I didn't enjoy the story. I did! I just really wanted there to be more of it
Aletheia
I liked this book, but I can't say that I loved it. But, it was interesting enough for me to finish within a day, and that's saying something because I rarely do that anymore. I get so lazy or so distracted by other things that I hardly get to finish a 100+ paged book anymore. Same with her other book, Wounded Little Gods, I was able to finish it in one evening.

Project 17 is set in the future. But it doesn't really give a futuristic vibe to it while I was reading. Sure, there are robots involve
Jemimah Bela
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought it was good. Suspenseful when it needed to be. The way the characters interacted with one another was fun though a bit flat at times.

What I found lacking was the setting, which is a futuristic Philippines with robots and a mechanized policing system among other things, wasn't really painted very well.

I didn't get a good sense of what Project 17's Bulacan looked like, sounded like, felt like. It wasn't until a handful of chapters in that the novel was dystopian.. ish.

That said, I don'
Glaiza Antonio
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: filipino-authors
I am very easy to please as a reader, especially if it has a small dose of speculative fiction. I also don't give comments on the books I read (except privately). Yet today I am going to break from that. What amazed me the most about this book was how precognitive it was. Yeah, I get it, it's a science fiction, but still, it gives me the feeling of a Duterte administration. Most especially that part of a dead person with a cardboard saying something like, "I am a Controller". Change that into a ...more
D
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: filipiniana, sci-fi
I couldn't put this book down and read it in one sitting. The premise is intriguing, the secrets of the story both horrifying and all too believable (something that happens all the time nowadays even though Lillian's present is set in the far future and crime rate seems to be down). I love all the characters, they're zany without being caricatures. Also, I really like Paul. He reminds me of Louis from Dwellers and I have a thing for that type of characters, apparently.
Kate
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think there's more to this book. Maybe the 17 in the title is not about the attempts they made to get a prototype of Felisa, maybe its a year. When that year comes, 2017, all people will deal with this kind of robots, and this robots will hold our lives. I hope there's a book two of this.
Gracielle Jarilla
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: awesomesauce, dafuq
A Fast-paced-breathtaking novel! Maybe im just biased or what because this book is written by a Filipino author, but no I'm not. This will surely take anyone's imagination to a whole new level. #mustread
Charlene
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book has averted my usual expectations of tropes and cliches when it comes to this kind of fiction, especially this kind of plot. Honestly a great read, a nice find in the midst of the pop fiction trend going in the country, just a tad bit sad it ended quickly.
Leanne Bellen
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a thrilling futuristic novel in which elements of the Filipino hallmark and heritage are masterfully threaded into the narrative.

It's official; I'm in love with Eliza Victoria's stories.
Monique
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it

Complete marginalia for this and two other Eliza Victoria books here .

• Alternative Alamat: Stories Inspired by Philippine Mythology
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • The Map That Contains Us
  • Kung Alam N'yo Lang
  • Si Amapola sa 65 na Kabanata
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon (Janus Sílang, #1)
  • Tabi Po: Isyu 2
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Pitumpu't Pitong Púsong (Janus Sílang, #3)
  • The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • Dead Balagtas Tomo 1: Sayaw ng mga Dagat at Lupa
  • Smoke & Mirrors
  • It's Not That Complicated: Bakit Hindi pa Sasakupin ng mga Alien ang Daigdig sa 2012
  • The Mythology Class: A Graphic Novel
  • Venn Man at iba pang Kalupitan ng Kapalaran! (Kikomachine Komix, #6)
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • Naermyth (Naermyth, #1)
  • Tatlong Gabi, Tatlong Araw
  • Anim na Sabado ng Beyblade at Iba Pang Sanaysay
Eliza Victoria is the author of several books including the Philippine National Book Award-winning Dwellers (2014), the novel Wounded Little Gods (2016), the graphic novel After Lambana (2016, a collaboration with Mervin Malonzo), and the science fiction novel-in-stories, Nightfall (2018). Her fiction and poetry have appeared in several online and print publications, most recently in LONTAR: The J ...more