Start by marking “Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades” as Want to Read:
Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades

Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades

Don’t Hurry Me Down to Hades is the story of families enduring the whirlwind of the Civil War, told through the words of famous and ordinary citizens and ranging from the battlefield to the home front, from presidential councils to frontier revivals. The book reveals how Americans on both sides of the Mason and Dixon line withstood four years of brutal, unrelenting conflic ...more
Kindle Edition
Published October 22nd 2013 by Osprey Publishing (first published November 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades

Nancy
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An Intimate Glimpse of Families Wrenched by the Civil War

From the Lincolns and the Grants to the Loughridges and Erskines, families suffered during the civil war through the loss of family members, property, and jobs. Ural tells the story of the Civil War chronologically, but intersperses the descriptions of political maneuverings and battles with the letters and stories of real people. Soldiers wrote letters home and wives and families responded sometimes bravely, sometimes with complaints and
Doreen
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bill
Recommended to Doreen by: Saw it a the library
This book tells many stories from the Civil War. It provides a detailed chronology of the battles and of the changing leaders within the military. This is the book that should be read in high school or college because it provides a raw, accurate account of our country's war against itself.

As students, we're told that this was a war of brother-against-brother, but are given nothing to further our understanding of that concept. In this book, through letters and other records, we're shown these br
Schuyler Wallace
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Susannah J. Ural is the credited author of DON’T HURRY ME DOWN TO HADES but there’s more to it than that. She’s Dr. Susannah J. York, Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies at The University of Southern Mississippi with special interest in the socio-military experiences of Civil War soldiers and their families. Her book is a compilation of the experiences of the lesser known, as well as famous soldiers, political figures, and families as the Civil War defines their lives and f ...more
Larry
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: civil-war, history
First off, I only made it about one-third through. As and avid student of the Civil War I had learned nothing new at this point. Despite the rich information available, it is written very dryly. Perhaps a good read for beginners or casual CW readers.
Leanda Lisle
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was part of my reading as a judge on the committee for the Guggenheim Lehrman Military History Prize and a favorite. A wonderful introduction to the American civil war, but also a pleasure to read for those who know the period well.
Wanda
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Civil War affected a far higher percentage of the American population than any other conflict. Either side could have won this dreadful war and even after the Civil War was ended, the wounds continued to run deep for both the North and South.

Susannah Ural has cleverly woven together a chronological view of the Civil War through many descriptive documents and letters written from this era. She has truly brought the Civil War to life with rich historical detail.

Varina Howell Davis was the 2n
Daniel
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.25 of 5

I am not an expert on the Civil War (or any sort of history), but I have a slightly better than average knowledge of the Civil War thanks to some research for various projects I've worked on. Fortunately, for those interested in the Civil War, there is a treasure-trove of material out there, some still waiting to be mined, as evidenced by Ural's noting of the discovery of a chest full of letters from the time. It is such
Barbara Burd
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written account of soldiers and their families in the Civil War. Ural presents a carefully researched story of the common soldiers from both the Union and Confederate Armies. This book uses letters, diaries, newspapers, and other accounts to reveal the thoughts, feelings and actions of the soldiers who participated in some of the bloodiest battles of the war.
Ural captures the horrors of war and the hope of the soldiers and their families. The role of slavery is discussed as a cau
Amy
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades is a great and insightful read. It isn't what I thought it was going to be but I'm not complaining! I loved how the author incorporated the letters of different people to write this book. I love reading about the American Civil War and have for 10-15 years. I still read things in this book I did not know about. Susannah Ural even gives you what happened to certain people after the war.
When I find myself talking at the dinner table about this book, then I know it is
John Wood
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
By using accounts of the people who actually experienced the US Civil War, the author allows us to have a better understanding of the hardships, and difficult feelings of those times. We really get a sense of the anguish created by this conflict that literally divided, not just the country, but neighbors and families. I also loved the way the author finished by showing what happened, after the war, to the individuals in the book, both famous and ordinary people. I learned many interesting things ...more
Kourtney
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, summer-2014
This book relates the war as seen through the experiences of various people- politicians, soldiers at the front, and the women and family who were left at home. I thought this greatly broke down the Civil War and mentioned all the important battles and aspects of the war. Also, it was an easy read and not boring, like I sometimes find books about the Civil War.
Annette
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Too much space devoted to explaining the war and not enough to actual words of those who lived it.
Donna
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the individual experiences of the soldiers and wives. Gives a more clear idea of how the war was not a black and white situation but more grey.
Melissa
Aug 28, 2013 is currently reading it
Started yesterday, I think (brain fog).
Kacey