Start by marking “Barbra: The Way She Is” as Want to Read:
Barbra: The Way She Is

Barbra: The Way She Is

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  161 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
From the author of The Day Diana Died and The Day John Died comes this fascinating New York Times bestseller about one of the greatest legends who ever lived—Barbra Streisand—revealing an up-close, intimate portrait of the woman behind the star.

She is a global icon, the ultimate diva, the Brooklyn girl made good, the ugly duckling who blossomed into a modern-day Nefertiti,
Published May 31st 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Barbra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barbra

Samantha
Jul 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I had heard a lot about this book and I'm not big into Barbra Streisand. I could see why a true fan may not want to read it. It tells the good, the bad and the ugly about her. Christopher Andersen is known to dug up dirt just like Kitty Kelley. I felt this was a good book for me. I didn't know much about Barbra, so it was good for me to learn about her. I had no clue that she had slept with as many famous men as she had. I also didn't know about her son, Jason's fight with HIV/AIDS. I thought it ...more
Candace
Oct 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought this was a good and informative book...but I don't think I should have read it! I love Barbra Streisand's voice and I love watching her in movies, but I kind of wish I would have left it at that! Sometimes it's so disappointing to find out what people are really like. Having said that, I still enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at her life and at the entertainment industry in general.
Laurel-Rain
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This story of the legend that is Barbra Streisand chronicles moments of her life from the beginning.

Barbra: The Way She Is, however, starts in 1998 as she weds her soul mate James Brolin at their Malibu estate.

Circling backwards in time, we learn about her early ambitions to act, and how she found a way into that magical world that would hopefully give her what she had missed the most in life: acceptance and love. We learn of her critical mother and the hole in her life after her father's death.
Shannon
Nov 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
I had to stop listening to this after only 1 cd. I enjoy Barbra movies and music but it is 90% ruined. What an awful wench she is. Just listening to the way she treats her staff was enough to enrage me. I took this book back to the library with a quickness. She is still a very talented and entertaining woman but what a super asshole. Coming from her poor background should have made her a kinder and more understanding woman. Not a huge bitch throwing her money around. Anyone who spends $100,000 o ...more
Margaretflynn
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very compelling read about a complicated talented woman. As a life long fan I leave this read disappointed and sad. I could have gone my whole life without knowing Barbra has gardenia petals placed in the toilets she uses on the road. I mean...really.....WTF? Too late. I have the info and now you do too. Sorry for the spoiler.
Kriangkrai Vathanalaoha
Jul 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My bias...

This book contains around 400 pages..............and I finished it within 2.5 days. Think about it, then!!!
Ilze
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Let me add that although I liked it, I liked James Spada's biography better.
Brittannia
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was ok

I heard plenty about the men Barbra dated, but I didn't hear to much about who she was. This book was very surfacy and gossipy. Raspberries.
Kerstin
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
All people have assets and shortcomings, celebrities too. It is like the writer is saying "she may be a famous person, but look what a terrible person she is in private. I am not a very big fan of Barbra Streisand, but this book is 98 % negative.
So what If she has had many lovers, so has Mick Jagger.
There are informative biographies and then there are gossip biographies. Mr Andersen should learn from James Kaplan, who has written two biographies about Frank Sinatra, he describes Sinatra's good a
Sasha
Nov 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Christopher Andersen is so full of vitriol and deliberately spiteful that he hardly stops to catch a breath.

Not a single word about what makes Streisand a performer who can command $ 2 500 per concert ticket but a tons of gossip from cleaning ladies, grocery shop salesmen and people who immensely hate the star because she did not give them autograph when they ambushed her in a restaurant. Since he is not interested in her work, Andersen goes about Streisand's son being gay and her mother sufferi
Lorena F. Pimentel
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
The book does a decent job in depicting both the good, the bad and the ugly, but I felt disappointed by it in its entirety. The last chapters were especially hard to read, as it deals with a lot of Barbra's involvement with political issues.
It is up to the reader to decide whether to absolute hate or be in awe of Barbra's tour-de-force character. I've never been a hardcore fan, and I suppose I'll always remain an admirer of her talents and many accomplishments, but as flawed as the book is, it
Jordon Hensley
Feb 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is remarkable how much I disliked this book. I am a HUGE Barbra fan and this read like a cheap article in Star magazine. This is just dirt. I suppose this book is suitable for someone who never really liked Barbra but for someone who loves her, it is filth. I'm not saying that I need a glossed over bio but to read 400 pages of Anderson trashing Barbra is a bit extreme. I bought this book and immediately donated it once I had finished.
Sharon
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I have always loved her singing and have been a fan. I found it enlightening but did a lot of skimming through the last 3/4 of the book. A bit too much.
Did not realize how much work she has done and with so many stars.
But like I said it was enlightening into who she was and is, a lot of which I never heard or knew.
Deborah J.
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second biography I have ever read, and the fact that the author added more juicy details allowed the reader to really get behind the making-of-the-artist. (What's the use of only writing about an artist's light side and excluding the shadow side?)
It was well written and hard to put down, thanks to Andersen's writing skills.
And actually made me respect Barbra even more.
Kay
Jan 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Talk about a split personality! But her's is usually the *itch one. This tells the story of Streisand and it's not really a pleasant one. You always hear horrible stories about her and this book combines them all and more you haven't heard about!!
Louise Brown
Sound recording
Marilyn
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A superb book by a superb writer. I want to read everything I can get my hands on by this author. Very well done and lots of fascinating details and insights.
Amanda
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: pop-culture
Confirms her reputation as a domineering perfectionist who never got her mother's approval
Jbellaus
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you like her you will like this book.
Catherine
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I got the sense the author wasn't a fan...
maria helena
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Interesting, albeit slow going.
Ann
May 20, 2012 added it
couldn't finish it..got really bored with it!
Phyllis
  • Call Me Debbie: True Confessions of a Down-to-Earth Diva
  • Hope: Entertainer of the Century
  • Elizabeth
  • What Falls Away: A Memoir
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • 1791: Mozart's Last Year

Christopher Peter Andersen is an American journalist and the author of 32 books, including many bestsellers. A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, Andersen joined the staff of Time Magazine as a contributing editor in 1969. From 1974 to 1986 Andersen was senior editor of Time Incorporated's P
More about Christopher Andersen