Start by marking “One & Only (Canton, #1)” as Want to Read:
One & Only (Canton, #1)

One & Only

(Canton #1)

One night they can't forget...

Tess McMann lives her life according to the secrets she's sworn to keep: the father who won't acknowledge her, the sister who doesn't know she exists, and the mother who's content playing mistress to a prominent businessman. When she meets the distractingly cute Dylan Kingsley at a prestigious summer program and falls in love, Tess allows
Published November 8th 2013 by Word for Word (first published November 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One & Only, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One & Only

Start your review of One & Only (Canton, #1)
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Smart, serious, sexy, and playful all at once--and not a single freaking cliche. It is heartening to see authors taking advantage of the liberties that writing for the New Adult category affords--and doing it with integrity and style.

This book is kind of like a really great episode of Felicity, with smart girls (non liberal arts girls, too!), intense worry about education, complicated family relationships, anxiety over identity and dating and life decisions, and one seriously cute
Ash Wednesday
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: TBD Buddy Read
2 STARS
Maybe this was my fate. I was the child of lies. Everything I did was touched by that poison.

I really want to be fair, because I find it's so easy now to Rage Against the Machine that is New Adult Contemporary Romance these days than find something nice to say about it as a whole. And I heartily acknowledge that Diana Peterfreund/Viv Daniels did try to offer a fresh perspective with a character like Tess McMann, but its really, really hard to give a polite, appreciative applause when I
Keertana
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: swoooon
One & Only is a surprising read, primarily because it’s a New Adult novel with a modicum of depth, complexity, and true worth. Forget the mindless, steamy novels you’ve known and imagine – just for a moment – a novel about an intelligent young woman, a bioengineering major, whose main goal in life is to never follow in the footsteps of her parents. It sounds familiar, doesn’t it? After all, which teenager, fresh off to college, doesn’t set off with the hopes to distinguish themselves from ...more
K.A. Linde
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
For anyone who needed a reason to read One & Only, here it is. Dylan Kingsley. He’s not your typical bad boy, breaking hearts, but he’s not completely sweet and good either. He’s a healthy mix of sexy, hot, nerdy, charming, and smart that just makes you want to keep turning the pages to get more of him. And he might be like a distant cousin to my Jack Howard, which is always a plus in my book…

But Christina wasn’t about to let me get away with it. “Are you in his pants?”
I sighed, then
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-adult, favorites
Truth: this review has taken me MONTHS to write. This is my fourth or fifth attempt to write it. Why? Because One & Only is one of the best books I read in 2013. I've read it three times, cover to cover, and read specific scenes and chapters over and over, since November. And yes, I realize I'm saying that about a romance novel, which I never read until...this book.

Here's the deal: When I heard that Diana Peterfreund was self-publishing a romance novel as Viv Daniels, my first reaction
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Thank you NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I received an eARC of this book 2 years ago, and this has been archived. I know it's pretty late but it's better that I've read this or else I will not be able to discover of how good this is.

One & Only is about Tess McMann. She's a simple, hardworking and an achiever. She got accepted on her father's alma mater, Canton University and wants to take bioengineering on the said university. However, her father wants her
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of NA contemporary romance
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Isamlq
In a strange twist...

I ended up being the person in a group buddy read who liked the book, instead of being the person who hated the book.

Quick story rundown : A college age girl is forced to keep her identity a secret because her father has another family somewhere out there. The guy she loved and lost (and hopes to love again) is now involved with someone else who has the potential to ruin the secret.

What does it say about me when others are hating the main character and I'm thinking that I
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) by: Emily Elizabeth
Are you wary of most new adult novels and the usual emphasis they place on "damaged" characters or virginal characters who are simply trying to get that first time out of the way? Yeah...me, too. And so, it's with some trepidation that I admit I would have completely passed over this novel had it not been for my awesome reading buddy Emily. She clued me into the fact that this new adult story was actually written by the awesome Diana Peterfreund, under her psuedonym.

The fact that One & Only
Jenn
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jenn by: Buddy read w/Lindsay
2 Lemon Stars

What I Liked
1. I loved the plot or basis of this story line.
2. I liked how her dad's role played out and her moms. I felt they were written perfectly.
3. I loved that Tess and Dylan were both innocents.
4. I loved that Tess and Dylan were both smart over achievers. I loved their "nerd" status. They didn't fit the normal NA cliche.
5. The necklace. The story behind it and how she received it.
6. I like how she and Hannah parted ways.

Issues:
1. Didn't connect with the characters.
2. Felt
Ari
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful and fun story!

NA is not a genre that I easily enjoy, but every now and then I find a captivating story, that keeps me interested and it makes me love the characters so much that I wish I could befriend them just to spend more time with them..
A lot more even.

“One & Only” is a very sweet, cliché-free and fun story about new beginnings, about finding yourself and (of course) finding love in the process. It has a lot of depth, great character development and the romance is
Tamara
“I was six years old when I found out my father had another family.”
Tess, the illegitimate daughter of a millionaire, has lived with her single-mother all her life, abiding by the rules her father lay down for her. Keep the ‘family’ secret, never acknowledge each other in public, do as her father tells and stay away from her half sister Hannah.

Even though keeping a big secret like that’s eating her up inside Tess always has played by the rules. Until the moment she’s reunited with her “first”
Isamlq
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-favorites
So here’s a statement that merits both boldface and all caps in the typing:

MY FAITH IN NA HAS BEEN RESTORED BY ONE & ONLY.

Not one moment in this is annoying or over the top. Rather we’ve a girl exploring who she is what she wants. Plus, a boy doing the same. Sure, there are some messed up family connections, but wait for it… it’s not dramatically done!

I enjoyed how there’s a past that we start with linked to a present that she’s working through. But mostly, I loved the absence of clichés:
Judy
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hello, New Adult, you may have redeemed yourself with this book. I don't know why I should be surprised by a sensible heroine who loves science and a romance with a nerdy and cute boy, but with the stalker alpha males and the slut-shaming girls that litter the landscape lately, this book is like a breath of fresh air. I love that there is still a bit of innocence between the two, the feel of first love. I like that the back story actually makes sense, and that Tess' insecurities and worries are ...more
Dangerous Dotz
Eunice
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eunice by: Wendy Darling
It was mainly the romance that made me want to read this book but I was surprised by how easily I got invested with the friendship and family relationship presented in this book too. My heart went out for Tess especially with how her Dad treats her. (And damn! I was actually hoping he'd have a change in heart in the end!) But this is definitely one of the most smart and elegantly written New Adult novels I'd come across with.

Thanks for recommending this, Wendy. I think I need some baklava
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Ehhh... Did not connect with the characters. I picked it up last night and it was a fast read but it didn't grab me like I was expecting it to. It's not every day I get to read about character who're into studying biology. I had to read it just because of that, plus there's a cute nerdy guy. All my Cricket Bell feels came rushing in but... Dylan's no Cricket.
Luzia Bielefeld *BookWhore BR*
her daddy is a cheater scumbag + heroine is illegitimate daughter and her mother is the other woman + heroes were the first of each other + hero dates her sister who is the legitimate daughter of their father + Heroin is poor and have to work to pay for the studies while her sister is rich and has everything for granted + dear daddy treats her as a second class citizen and dirty secret
Sara (sarabara081)
4-4.5 stars!

A little different than the typical NA, which I appreciate.
Gabriela
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells a captivating story, one that feels so real. I'm a sucker for originality, as I figure we all are; so I knew instantly that I had to read this when I read the synopsis.

Tess is the love child, the product of a long relationship between a powerful rich man and his mistress; she and her mom are the others, the hidden family. And it's shocking all the situations, all that Tess has to feel and go through because living that kind of life, because of decisions that were made for her.
Celine
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

One & Only is the first New Adult romance book I've read, written by one of my favourite writers Diana Peterfreund under a pen name.

Tess is ambitious and driven, but because she is the daughter of an important man's mistress she can't be anywhere near him, his family, or near his alma mater. But when she meets old flame Dylan again, it's hard not to break the rules.

Three cheers for good guys in romances! This is a recurring theme for books written by Ms Peterfreund, but they seem
Louisa
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-adult, 2013-read
Short review: quite an easy read and started off well... then it spiraled down. Not sure what to make of the "love triangle". I'm a person who absolutely does not condone cheating and while this book didn't descend into outrageous territory, I didn't agree with Tess's outlook on it. Either way, I can't deny that this was a more realistically written NA than stuff like, say, True or Wait for You.
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
~3.5 stars

This is the first "new adult" contemporary romance I've read since Easy that I really enjoyed. I think the college setting is probably stronger than Easy, too, with more realism and authentic college relationships. I really enjoyed the family stuff, which surprised me, since I was worried it would be a bit overwrought.

I'll write a longer review soonish. Hey, hey... I finally wrote my review: http://cleareyesfullshelves.com/blog/...

--------

Hey, hey... Viv Daniels is actually Diana
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
3.5

Who'd have thunk it?

This book has zero slut shamming, zero angst and a great female protagonist who actually acts her age, best friends of said protagonist who SHE ACTUALLY TALKS AND HANGS OUT WITH., a sweet, kind and smart male protagonist whom I adore. What could I possibly ask for?

My only problem is that I felt the love declaration came on a little too early, but I'll take it.
Tahsin
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
2.5-3 stars

it started out really good; I was hooked, and I loved it. (the. beginning was like 4.5-5 star. and then.) and then along the way, the rating in my mind started gradually plunging. and damn, did it plunge by the end. some may have liked the way it ended, but I'm left baffled. I wouldn't know the first thing about ending a book properly, but in my opinion, this just did not work. that's all.
Sarina Bowen
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I freaking loved this!

I was hooked from the first line: "I was six years old when I found out my father had another family."

New Adult often lets me down, with repeated story lines and slipshod writing. But this book has neither of those. Dylan and Tess were very real, excellent characters. I stayed up until midnight reading this, feeling Tess's tension and betrayal, hoping for the best.

Awesome job, Ms. Daniels. I can't wait for the next one.
Devyani
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dudes and dudettes,
This is how NA should be.

The life of a twenty-year old is not simple. It is complicated and weird and...fun, and I'm glad that not only do we come across a very nice and cute and adorable love story over here, but we also get acquainted with the very complications that come with growing up. LOVELY. GIVE ME MORE.
Irisheyz77
One & Only by Viv Daniels is a new adult title that is a departure from all that you think new adult is. One & Only is a smart and funny story that is filled with heart and substance and everything that you could want in a story set in college. But as Viv Daniels is the alter ego of Diana Peterfreund, of Secret Society Girl fame, this comes as no surprise. However, when I started to read One & Only was was unsure of it. There was just something weird about Tess’s voice and manner of ...more
Michelle
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tess has had to live by the rules her entire life. Not the typical rules a teenage girl finds herself with, but rules that ensure that her true identity remains unknown. Her father has kept his two families separate. The wife and daughter he adores in public and the mistress and bastard daughter that he keeps at arms length.

But Tess finds the rules unraveling as she fights to make her dreams come true. Attending Canton is a dream, one that her father doesn't want her to have. But when she makes
Maida
I had a few minor issues with the book. For one, you DO have to pay full-tuition at Cornell, even if you're a New York State resident. (I should know since I almost went to school there). This mistake on the author's part really irks me because money problems & private school tuition are major driving factors in this book. Therefore, the author should have really gotten this detail correct, or at the very least, an editor should have caught the mistake.

Overall, though, the book was
Shannon
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
So science isn't my thing, so I gotta say a good chunk of this book was WAY over my head.

Wayyyyyyyy over my head

But I thought the "love triangle" if you can call it that was good. The fact that it was the h's secret half sister made it a bit different. There was not a whole lot of angst in this book

I felt so bad for Tess she had such self hatred because of her mother's choices, and she thought she was destined to be the same woman. She was anything but. Her mom was weak and wrong and Tess was
Theme song!!! 1 7 Feb 23, 2014 10:58AM

• Let Me Heal Your Heart (Let Me, #4)
  • Breaking Brandon (Fate, #2)
  • Play
  • Giving In to You (The Giving Trilogy, #1)
  • Deeper (Caroline & West, #1)
  • Ballbuster (Playing Dirty, #1)
  • Some Sort of Crazy (Happy Crazy Love, #2)
  • Kissed by You (Tropical Heat, #4)
  • The Slam (Hemsworth Brothers #1)
  • Bend (Waters, #1)
  • Third Degree
  • Break Away (The Baltimore Banners, #5)
  • Lip Action (Kiss Talent Agency, #1)
  • Revenge Kisses (3:AM Kisses, #12)
  • Broken Hart (The Hart Family, #1)
  • Waiting to Breathe (Waiting Duet, #1)
  • Fight for Her: Volume 1 (Fight for Her, #1)
  • Let Me Love You (Let Me, #2)
Viv Daniels writes love stories for the young and young at heart. Like many of her characters, she met her husband in college, and knows all the ins and outs of navigating that kind of relationship -- from how to date when you're both flat broke to how to fit two people in narrow dorm room bed.

Her favorite new adult authors include Tammara Weber and Sarina Bowen.

Viv can usually be found on her

Canton (3 books)
  • Sweet & Wild (Canton, #2)
  • Tried & True (Canton #3)
“When particles collide, they explode, strewing pieces of themselves in waves across the universe and combining to make something entirely new. And when I kissed Dylan in his dorm room kitchen, the universe expanded. It had to, because this – this – was not something that had belonged to our reality before.” 10 likes
“He tasted like white wine and pine needles. He tasted like two years of waiting. I wanted to breathe for him, I wanted to swallow him whole. I ached with a sudden, pulsing need, an overwhelming desire I’d never felt before.” 8 likes