Start by marking “Before (Betwixt, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Before (Betwixt, #0.5)

Before

(Betwixt 0.5)

Dale Finnigan is a teenage rebel; he lives for parties, girls and joy riding in stolen cars. In spite of his uptight parents' constant warnings and lectures, he continues to run wild. His crazy lifestyle is the only way he can live and feel free… Until his reckless behavior takes him down a path where there is no going back.

In this prequel to BETWIXT, find out who Dale
Published September 2013 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Before, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before

Start your review of Before (Betwixt, #0.5)
Emily Anne
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought this was a great novella to go along with Betwixt. Everyone who read the first novel will definitely like getting to know the young, rebelling Dale Finnigan.

In my opinion, Betwixt was better than Before. That said, Before was still a compelling read. Reading from Dale’s perspective might have given me a headache (boy does he make a lot of mistakes!) but his voice was super realistic.

This book made Dale seem so much more real and awesome! I am tempted to compare past Dale to the Dale
Ericka
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for a fair review.
This is a companion story to Betwixt , which I have never read before . However, I loved this story so much that I purchased it before I was even finished with "before" .
I really didn't expect for this story to be quite so moving but as Dale told his story you could help but get caught up in emotion over the strain in relationship with his family and the struggle with the guilt he had over it. There really is layer upon layer to what makes Dale
Michelle Lea
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I literally stayed up late on a weeknight to finish this book because I just could not imagine falling asleep without finding out what happened to Dale. Melissa Pearl is amazing at making me feel exactly how and what her characters are feeling and this book did not disappoint in the least. She had me feeling exactly how Dale felt and it helped me understand him better than I ever have before. Being able to see how Dale got to the point he's at in Betwixt makes his story that much more ...more
Len
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before by Melissa Pearl is a novella in the Betwixt Series. It is an awesome book that had my attention from the very beginning.

Dale Finnigan is a rebellious 15 year old young man who still lives with his parents. His parents have these rules that they expect him to follow. The rules are there to protect him from ruining his life. Dale doesn’t like it at all so he decides that he is going to do whatever he wants to do no matter what his parents say.

Dale’s rebellious journey has begun. His
Kristin Scearce
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

"Before" is an aptly-titled prequel to "Betwixt", and here we get to learn more about Dale and what happened in his life prior to the events of "Betwixt." I must say, when I initially read "Betwixt," I found myself wanting to know more about Dale's history and how he got to be the way he was: moody, stand-offish, an outcast from the school, etc. Thankfully, Melissa read my mind and gave us this prequel!

Dale is the
Alexia Purdy
Awesome novella that gives us the inside scoop and past circumstances of Dale Finnigan, a key character in the novel ‘Betwixt’. This tells us how he got the scar on his face, what he was like before everything changed him to the person he was in ‘Betwixt’. I really loved getting this insight. Dale’s just a good guy who gets ensnared into the wrong crowd, bad habits, bad thinking and in the end, really bad luck.

Dale’s transformation from rebellious teen to all out criminal made this an intense
Erika Sterns
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before is a novella and the prequel to Betwixt. I have not read Betwixt, but if it is anything like Before then I am expecting a 5 star read! This novella is short but gives you a very detailed background of one of the main characters in Betwixt. It is so much easier to understand the actions of a character if you know how they got there. I am not sure if it was me being a parent or just such a captivating read that has me so excited to continue this series!

Before takes us into Dale's life and
Samantha
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given this book in exchange for a fair review. I have not read Betwixt yet but after reading Before I will be buying it to read to know what happens.

We meet Dale who has a big role in Betwixt but the author couldn't find a way to do him justice in the original story and I'm thankful for that.

Dale is a 15 year old who is heading down a dangerous path that he realizes but thats to family and such he just keeps going until there is no way to turn back until it's too late and he gets a
Book Chatter-Cath
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before, is a story of rebellion, a teenage boy desperately trying to find his place in the world, in his school, even in his own family. The trials and tribulations of teenage angst are brought to life by the author’s easy and very real characterizations.

This is why I love Melissa Pearl.
Not only can she write a captivating story, but she makes me believe.
Whether it’s time travel (The Time Spirits Trilogy), a half dead teenage girl having an out-of-body experience (Betwixt), a fantastical world
J.C. Hart
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an awesome prequel to the novel 'Betwixt', in which we get to see the world through the eyes of Dale.
Melissa Pearl is a skilled author and writes with what I feel is a really authentic teen voice, so much so that I found it easy to empathize with Dale, even when he was making decisions that I wouldn't. If you're read Betwixt, then you'll definitely want to read Before. And if you haven't, then this is an awesome place to start ;-)
Anna Cruise
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Loved this glimpse into Dale's life before Betwixt! So many authors give us books that are next in the series -- chronological, all nice and tidy. Melissa Pearl goes the other direction with Before, taking us back in time so we can see how the choices Dale makes shapes him into the person he is in Betwixt. A really great read!
Vampyress
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, kindle
This was my first book from this author and I received an ARC for a fair review. I have to say that I love her style of writing, the characters are so realistic that I felt like I was right there with them and watching the book play out before me! I will definitely be reading more of her books! :)
preppea
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
BEFORE is a prequel novella that takes place before Dale and Nicole meet in BETWIXT. It starts with Dale, staring through his window at a sad, lost girl. He doesn’t know why, but he feels an intense longing to help her. But will she want the help of a scarred boy with a reckless past?

The story then flashes back to 14 months earlier, when Dale’s life changed drastically. He’d been a fairly typical 15-year-old boy—fighting his parents’ strict rules and Christian upbringing. He started hanging out
Ali (Our Book Boyfriends) Flores
Novellas can be tricky. They are short, so there’s little time to grab the reader. Typically, you still have to read a couple chapters (at least) before you’re sucked in. That wasn’t the case with this one, though. I was intrigued right from the start. Dale Finnigan lets you know the kind of person he has become, but then he takes you on a ride showing you just how he became that person. Dale’s father is a minister, and Dale had felt stiffled by rules. He rebelled, which lead to some very ugly ...more
Michelle
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
I really enjoyed Betwixt, so I was eager to read this and discover Dale's back story. I love the cover, it drew me in before I even started reading.
Melissa brought Dale to life, I really understood what he was thinking and feeling and it was very realistic. It's hard to review this without giving away spoilers, so I'll just say that the description of the main event was so vivid I felt like I was there with them. Superbly written.

I didn't care for Dale's parents. They were strict to the point
Veronica Morfi
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4/5

Before is the story of Dale, what happened to him before he met Nicole. This really gets us inside his head to see what he have been through and what made him change. I really enjoyed his point of view, because even though we learned all the bad decisions he made in his life he was a very sympathetic character. I read this prequel first so I didn't know how he will trun out but I still loved him.

*I received a review copy of this book, as part of the Blog Tour, in exchange for an
Rosabel
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
this book was very much like some teen act out...I couldn't seem to put down to know what happened and what he felt, but I hate the fact that goes thru a trauma and seem to realize how lucky he is. for a teen his one grown young man who learn. I can't wait for the next book and I need to read more...
Secretly Adorkable Readers
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the Betwixt series by Melissa Pearl! All three only took me a couple of days and my full review will be posted on all three for Amazon, Goodreads and my blogger once it is done. I would recommend to read The space between heartbeats, Betwixt then Before in the series.

I love all of Melissa Pearl/Jordan Ford books! I couldn't believe that I missed this fantastic series! Betwist, the Sequel and Prequel was so unexpected and had some supernatural twists that will leave you guessing!
Dianne
Click on Banner to Enter!

Melissa Pearl's Before is nothing short of amazing. They say the teen years are the rebellious years and for Dale, fighting against the limitations and rules set by his parents could turn into a life changing nightmare he will live with for the rest of his life, if he isn't careful. Dale is the rebel of the family, the one who never seems to measure up to what others expect of him,so why bother? Pushing the limits as far as he dares and then pushing a little
Lelia Taylor
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Dale Finnigan was first introduced to readers in Betwixt and we learned there the short version of how he became the young man Nicole gets to really know, the young man behind the terrible physical scars. Before is his story; here, we watch him spiral ever downwards until he reaches that critical point from which there may be no return. I found it interesting that, unlike Nicole, Dale seems to have no real cause for his rebellion other than feeling chafed by rules. I’m quite sure he resents the ...more
Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?)
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

Full Review at: What's Beyond Forks?

Before is the prequel to Betwixt by Melissa Pearl. Before gives you a look at Dale's life before his accident. It fully details the crowd he ran with and how he let them influence him, the trouble he caused, family life, and all the big and small things that turned him into the person he is in Betwixt. For such a small book, it really gives you everything you need to know about Dale. Even through all his shenanigans, you can tell he is a really good guy at
Crissy
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a good read. We get a glimpse of Dale’s youth. He was just like any rebellious teenager; his parents always pressuring him to do things he didn’t want to do so he went out with friends, drinking, partying, stealing cars and having sex until one night a tragedy strikes. Dale is dealing with his past and a scar that will forever remain with him yet he is determined to help Nicole, he just doesn’t know exactly how yet. This left me wanting to read more but not to where I need more ...more
zapkode
{my thoughts} – I had always wondered what Dale’s back story was when I had been reading {BETWIXT}. The back story is very much engaging and quite wonderfully written. It really helps the reader to better understand him, where he came from and why he was perceived the way he was in High School. It makes sense why Nicole hardly paid notice to him in the school hallways and why he liked to keep to himself.

This book although short, justifies his character by every means possible. I really enjoyed
Dana
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book free to review from Netgalley. It is a prequel to the book "Betwixt", which I have not read. "Before" tells the story of Dale, a rebellious preacher's kid who is running with the wrong crowd. When he overhears his parents talking about their own past, which was less than perfect, and more importantly to Dale, kept secret, Dale uses that as an excuse to continue with his partying ways. I found this book a bit too Christianly formulaic. Preacher's kid rebels, finds out his ...more
Lindsay
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Before was my favorite of the three books in the series, although I wish I hadn’t read it first. Betwixt would have been more mysterious if I didn’t have all the background information beforehand. It was, by far, the most mature of the series, in that there is a fair amount of sex, alcohol and criminal behavior. It is Dale’s past, leading up to Betwixt, and it takes the reader a great length of the way to understanding him.

An important part of the series!

A copy of this book was provided by the
Taylor Longford
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big Melissa Pearl fan and love all of her books but "Before" is absolutely her best work to date. Even though "Before" is fiction, you can't help believe these events actually took place. The story is heart-wrenching but the drama never overpowers the realism. And despite a horrific accident described in graphic, chilling detail, Dale survives to become a better and stronger young man who is probably the only person who has what is needed to heal a heroine with her own broken history.
Allison Potter
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best novellas I have read to date. I recommend this book to anyone. It doesn't fit a particular genre, it could be placed in many different ones. It is a story of tough topics such as family issues, lies, teenage angst, etc. I honestly learned from this book, and it is going to have a piece of my heart forever!
Elle (Ligia)
This was a really good novella that helps you understand a lot of things about Dale and why he is the way he is.

Of course after finishing this one, I had to go and re-read Betwixt, which is a book I absolutely love, so no harm done ;)

I recommend to those who want to read Betwixt to check this out before, and if you already read it, then check it out anyways. It's definitely worth it.
Ari
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
3,5*
Oh I love Dale even more now...
And with him going to UCLA, I can see so many possibilities for Dale-Nicky future story!
What if....

Hey Melissa, write when Dale in college will you? You know...(not so) long distant relationship, ghost from the past, sure will make a nice story... ^,,^
Krista
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
Wow - my heart broke almost the entire time I read this prequel novella. It's impossible not to love Dale despite his colossal mistakes. A must-read before you move on to Betwixt.

• Every Ugly Word
  • Dark Touch
  • Undeniable (Cloverleigh Farms, #2)
  • His Royal Highness
  • Insatiable (Cloverleigh Farms, #3)
  • Mud Vein
  • The Practice Boyfriend
  • The Almost Boyfriend
  • The Allure of Julian Lefray (The Allure, #1)
  • Lucky Luna
  • Hide and Seek (Criminal Profiler #1)
  • The Allure of Dean Harper (The Allure, #2)
  • Being Brooke (Barley Cross, #1)
  • The Billionaire Book Club (Billionaire Collection 3)
  • The Woman Upstairs
  • Good Girls Lie
  • What I Did for Love
  • The Little Secret
Melissa Pearl was born in Auckland, New Zealand, but has spent much of her life abroad, living in countries such as Jordan, Cyprus and Pakistan... not to mention a nine month road trip around North America with her husband. "Best. Year. Ever!!" She is a trained elementary teacher, but writing is her passion. Since becoming a full time mother she has had the opportunity to pursue this dream and her ...more

Betwixt (1 books)
  • Betwixt (Betwixt, #1)
“I refused to follow some religion I wasn't even sure I believed in. Hypocrites were the worst kind of sinners, and I wasn't going to be lumped in with them.” 1 likes