Start by marking “A Touch of Darkness (Key, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Touch of Darkness (Key, #1)

A Touch of Darkness

(Key #1)

When demons threaten the game, angels don’t play by the rules.

Cassie Durrett dreams of the darkness. And lives the nightmare. She's working for a tightwad boss at a pretentious NYC diner, dealing with paralyzing pain that doctors can’t diagnose, and trying to hide her hands that glow purple whenever she ...well, whenever.

So, when mystery man, Gabe, walks out of her dre
ebook, Limited Edition, 288 pages
Published October 31st 2013 by E-Lit Books (first published October 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Touch of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Touch of Darkness

Start your review of A Touch of Darkness (Key, #1)
Lauren Scharhag
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Reviewed for:

I’m a sucker for angels and demons, so of course I picked up A Touch of Darkness, Book I of the new Key series, and the first team-writing effort by Casale and Moss. A Touch of Darkness is a steamy, fast-paced paranormal that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

Neither does its protagonist. Cassie is a pretty cool chick, the kind of girl you’d want for your BFF. She’s had a tough life for your
The BookChick
My Rating: ★★★★
VERY GOOD: The characteristics of a 4 star book include: a great story; I loved the characters; and there was an interesting plot and unique story elements; there may have been a few odd things kept the story from being amazing. I would read it again and I would recommend it to a friend.
My Thoughts:
A Touch of Darkness was a thrilling and well-crafted debut novel for Tinfriend.My★★★★VERY
Melinda S. Collins
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ask any writing friend who knows me and they will tell you that I am picky, picky, picky about my urban fantasies (well, any book in general, but this genre even more so). Paranormal Romances are my thing because of the … well, the romance. So when I switch over to Urban Fantasy, the story, characters, and writing needs to be spot-on in order to keep my attention.

AND THIS BOOK DID JUST THAT! :D

Wow! Ok, so Cassie has a huge problem–her hands glow purple whenever she becomes emotionally stresse
Christa
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm overall skeptical about angel books, but I have to say, this one was pretty awesome. I loved Cassie's dark humor and self-deprecating ways, and just felt like her character was perfectly developed in a sense that the paranormal elements didn't feel forced. I'm a New York girl, so I really enjoyed that the book started off in NYC.

Overall, I thought the writing was strong. I finished the book in one sitting, so the plot was definitely fast-paced and compelling.

This is t
Jen Davis
This book had an interesting premise, but it didn’t live up to the potential the way I had hoped. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad. It’s ok in that the plot makes sense and the world building is consistent. I had multiple issues, though, ranging from predictability to a lackluster romance and a heroine I had serious problems with.

Cassie has always believed herself to be human, but she can’t ignore the paralyzing headaches and the strange purple glow that comes from her hands more and
Erika
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
So this is proof that a good idea also requires good execution. A better writer (or editor) could have made this a much better book. I selected it because one of my groups is reading it. I stayed with it because it was a fast read & the idea was solid, but the writing was terrible and the editing even worse (even, misused words - peak instead of peek). But the authors do deserve credit for a solid premise and simple but solid plot.
Steph
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of A Touch of Darkness by Yelena Casale and Tina Moss

I got the book from the author and Paranormal Romance & Authors That Rock in exchange for an honest review.

A Touch of Darkness is a standalone that talks about a young woman named Cassiel. Cassie has been through a lot since she lost her parents when she was seven. Freak, doesn’t even begin to describe her. Purple smog surrounding her, strong headaches and the appearance of evil shadows that come out of her a
EscapeNBooks
Yelena Casale and Tina Moss have given us an enjoyable pararnormal, urban-fantasy read that allows us to take a deeper look into the unknown and what-ifs.

Cassie

She watched her parents die. Now she is trying to make sense of her life and the peculiar features that it carries. She is changing, daily, and has no idea the reasons why. She just wants to be a typical young lady with friends and a future.

Zoey

Zoey and Cassie are best friends. They shar
Mar
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well now fallen angles, demons and a human... As expected you have an action pack book. I like the way it opens with the tarot card reader because it leaves you with an eerie feeling. Right away it captivates and intrigues the reader with the unknown of what's happening to Cassie. Then you have a sexy, confident and self possessed stranger that turns out to be a fallen angel... Need I say more. With all the good there must be an evil and this one ends up hitting close to home for Cassie.

Cassie
Jeannie Zelos
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A Touch of Darkness, Key 1, Tina Moss and Yelena Casale
Review from Jeannie Zelos Book reviews.
I love paranormal romance, but have had problems with Angelic ones. Some, such as Nalini Singh I love, can't praise enough, but others I've found just don't cut it for me. Sadly this is one of those...Not everyone likes everything, the sample sounded fun, but I found while reading that the romance angle just wasn't really feeling right to me, and I was waiting for the story to develop more. It fe
J.C.
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A well crafted Paranormal Romance with a few surprises. I picked this up expecting your typical Paranormal Romance tropes: A woman who finds out she's "special." An "other" love interest to swoon over. A love triangle that makes you wonder why on earth the woman would even consider one of the two.

You won't find that here.

Well, you'll find them, but, without spoiling anything, the authors did a great job of breaking your classic "woman must choose" trope in a new and interesting w
Eva Millien
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first book in this new paranormal urban fantasy series is a mesmerizing and intriguing read. Cassie has paralyzing pain and abilities that no one can explain. So when a mysterious stranger straight out of her dreams spouts nonsense, she chalks it up as another thing to add to her crazy life list, but when the predictions start coming true her humdrum existence gets shaken to the core.

The steady to fast paced plot keeps readers shivering in anticipation as demons and angels try to
Maghon Thomas
I really liked this one!! Great story, fantastic characters, and an interesting story line. And yes, I normally don't do angels and demons, but I loved them in here. There's some crazy things going on for poor Cassie and she not only has to figure what's going on, but who to trust, and how to save her life and the rest of the world. Oh boy right!

So, Cassie seems normal, except she had a very tragic past and some weird headaches that almost debilitate her, and some odd intuitions. You see, Cassi
Douglas Meeks
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
NOTE: THIS BOOK HAS TWO LISTINGS (I hate that, get it together Goodreads)

This book gives a whole new view of fallen angels, demons and angels. Not much of which is religious but holds to the basic knowledge of these beings.

The angels/demons are pretty much the same but the author's opinion of angels suffers from a dislike of religion a bit I felt but nothing to really get concerned about as a reader, demons are silver tongued bad guys for the most part but fallen angels a
Douglas Meeks
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: THIS BOOK HAS TWO LISTINGS (I hate that, get it together Goodreads)

Sophia Kimble
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a free copy of A Touch of Darkness for an honest review.

From the first page I felt connected to the heroine, Cassie. The book opens at a psychic where Cassie is trying to find answers to her debilitating headaches, and the reason she sometimes glows purple. She’s been having dreams of a man she’s never met, and shortly thereafter, she meets Gabe.

Now I must say for the first 6 or so chapters I really didn’t like Gabe. A fallen angel with a serious chip on his s
Carrie
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: calibre-library, 2014
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a mix between a fallen angel love story and an epic good versus evil showdown. There’s a slightly heavier emphasis on the action, but still a pretty good amount of romance (and steamy scenes).

Cassie works at a diner, works pretty hard to avoid going clubbing with her BFF, Zoey, and happens to suffer from catastrophic headaches that end in purple light pushing out of her body. After a psychic cal
Nikola Vukoja
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I finally got a chance to read A Touch of Darkness (woohoo)
I’m one of those people who like a big block of time to read a big blog of pages. If I can’t commit to at least 5-10 chapters I’m disappointed; which is why I also read a lot of short stories and non-fiction; for those times I only have an hours or so. But this morning, I at last got to AToD, and I finished it this evening… yep, that’s right, in one sitting!

So that probably tells you a lot, but if it doesn’t let me elaborate
Linda Levine
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassie is having a harder time controlling her mysterious headaches and the purple glow that radiates from her hands at times. She tries to live a normal life working and spending time with her best friend. One day at work a mysterious customer approaches her and she then finds him following her around the city. She doesn't want to believe his explanation for her issues but runs out of options. Gabe is aiming for redemption and protecting Cassie is the key. Her choice will impact everything. The ...more
Sarah Leenart
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 3.5 rounded to 4. I enjoyed this but I did not love it. Had a good story line and an interesting world. It was really dark, which I liked but somehow it didn't feel quite filled out enough for me. There were a few moments where the heroine slipped into TSTL (to stupid to live) category and she annoyed me but I see how they were plot propelling points. I also struggle with the whole heaven and hell thing in books sometimes. This is just a personal feeling though, not a critical view and ...more
Heather McCorkle
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This novel is True Blood meets Immortal Instruments, only so much better. I couldn't get past some of the quirkiness of True Blood and Immortal Instruments was far too slow to hold my attention properly. But this blew them both away in those arenas.

A Touch of Darkness rockets you along a pulse-pounding story and sucks you into the characters. You'll want to cheer for Cassie's fiesty spirit and loyalty and you'll come to love Gabe and all his wonderful flaws.

I highly recom
Runningrabbit
I've had mixed feelings about this novel, it took me about 50pages to get into it. The editing was awful and the story was a bit jagged. There were moments when I rocked along, and then it would lull into moment when it fell flat.

The main character was OK, and the angel that comes to her rescue is pretty much the same. I guess that rather sums up the book. It was OK, but I'm sure plenty of people didn't make it to the end.

Overall? Ambivalent.

Courtesy of NetGAL
Zarith dol
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great book but with too much subplot written in one book. Takes away the focus from the main characters, as expected the first book in the series. Overall a good book, and look forward to the next book.

ARC given by netgalley
Jennifer Walkup
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Review forthcoming.:)
Janet
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have liked to read more from gabe's POV however the story as a whole still drew me in from the get go.
L.G.
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, angels
Enjoyed it. Review forthcoming...
Christina Rose
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of the Fire and Fantasy box set, and all told it was a good book.

Things I liked/loved:

First, I loved the side characters (especially Zoey and Albert) and how they all had their own motivations. None of them were there just to support the main plot.

Second, I liked both Cassie and Gabe, and they felt real. Gabe was a bit of a jerk, but some of that was explained by him being a newly fallen angel. Also, she was a bit stupid, but, well, who isn
Michele
Cassie leads a weird life. She suffers from debilitating headaches, has really odd dreams and sometimes, her hands glow purple. This does not endear her to her boss at a crappy diner job...but she feels blessed to have a loyal best friend, and a cat to cuddle at night.

Always searching for answers, she tries everything from doctors to fortune tellers...with no success.

Cassie's life changes when she meets Gabe, a weird, yet handsome diner patron who also turns out to be a fallen angel
Stephen
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book from the collection Fire and Fantasy. Didn't like it, boring, couldn't hold my attention. Waist of my time! Read at your own risk.
Christina T
Although the synopsis does have to do with the book it is almost misleading as the events highlighted, in most cases, are so underplayed that they are virtually non-existent during the course of the book.

The Good: An interesting concept based on the synopsis. Yep, I've used that "concept" line before but I truly mean it no matter how many times I say it when speaking about books. The synopsis pulled me in. I was intrigued by why Cassie's hands would glow purple and what exactly she w

• Hunted by Shadows (Shadowborn #1)
  • Awakened And Betrayed (The Lost Sentinel, #2)
  • Bound By Sorcery (Half-Goddess Chronicles #1)
  • A Fistful of Magic
  • Dark Hunt (Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Twisted Fate
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Live Fae or Die Trying (The Paranormal PI Files #1)
Tina Moss is an author of urban fantasy, paranormal romance, romantic suspense, and New Adult novels. She lives in NYC with a supportive husband and two alpha corgis, though the males hog the bed and refuse to share the covers. When not writing, she enjoys reading, watching cheesy horror flicks, traveling, and karate. As a 5'1" Shotokan black belt, she firmly believes that fierce things come in sm ...more

Key (2 books)