Start by marking “Valiant” as Want to Read:
Valiant

Valiant

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  791 ratings  ·  171 reviews
Saville despises the bolts of velvet and silk that her father loves- he's always prized them more than he's ever loved her. Yet when he's struck ill, she'll do anything to survive, even donning boys' clothes and begging a commission to sew for the king.

Piecing together a fine coat is far simpler than unknotting court gossip about an army of giants led by a man who cannot
Published April 28th 2015 by Carolrhoda Books

To ask other readers questions about Valiant, please sign up.
Lauren The heroine of the book is 17ish. It is definitely YA, nothing more than a few kisses towards the end. Giants, a king and princess, a poor father figu…moreThe heroine of the book is 17ish. It is definitely YA, nothing more than a few kisses towards the end. Giants, a king and princess, a poor father figure...(less)
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,363 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerSix of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
YA Novels of 2015
1,542 books — 8,946 voters

More lists with this book...

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Valiant
Susana
2nd re-read ( June, 2 nd)
My thoughts after having finished this re-read: Yeah, I still love this book to pieces! *.*

Arc provided by Egmont usa through Netgalley

Release Date: April 28 th

And unexpectedly, a favourite read appears...

Having never read the original fairy tale, it was the expression "a debut fairy tale reimagining" in the synopsis that caught my interest. And I am so glad that it did!
~What can I say? You people know I can't resist a fairy tale retelling!~

I loved this from page
Mauoijenn
*NetGalley book review*

This fabulous remake of the tale The Brave Tailor was a fun action packed story that I read to my son at his bed time. He and I enjoyed this book very much. The giants, the courage of the main character and all the bright imaginative details were a hit. Another great children's book that was a home run at my house.
Stephanie
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I loved this book SO MUCH that I wrote a blurb for it. Here's what I said:

"My favorite kind of fantasy novel - magical, romantic, exciting and true - and my very favorite kind of heroine. Saville is strong, brave, smart and vulnerable, and I cheered for her all the way. I absolutely loved this book."

And to get more chatty about it (because I just finished reading it and I am bursting with love for it!), at various points it reminded me, in the best possible ways, of Robin McKinley, Gail Carson
Jodi Meadows
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful retelling of The Valiant Little Tailor, genderbent (wooo!) and so, so engrossing. Recommended!
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
You guys, I'm giving away a paperback copy of VALIANT on my blog! Click HERE.

description
snowplum
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has been raking in the raves, and for quite a large number of chapters I wondered why... and then I got to the giants. At which point I wanted to tell everyone about the giants, which I suppose would seem suspiciously like I was raving.... so, I will admit it forthwith -- I got pretty dang enthusiastic about this book despite the fact that for quite some time, I was unimpressed.

As I pondered it, I realized it's no surprise that giants basically never show up in YA writing -- they aren'
Karissa
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I got a copy of this book to review through NetGalley. This was a very well written young adult fantasy. I really really loved this book. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed this novel.

The story is a retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale The Valiant Tailor with the twist that this story features a young woman named Saville. Saville’s father is a fabulous tailer who values his trade over anything, including his daughter. He decides to pick up and move to a different kingdom so that h
Elevetha
Re-read Nov 2016

**An ARC of this book was provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

(First Netgalley ARC approval!! And in only 2 days of being a member! Granted this is only a little over a week from publication, but still. Excuse me while I revel in awe and wonder.)

As far as I can recall, for all my love of fairytale retellings, I'd never before read a re-telling of The Brave Tailor. I don't think there's that many out there, to be honest, but in any case, I was excited to read
Liviania
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
VALIANT is exactly what I look for in my fairytales retold. Young Saville's father has a stroke, meaning that she has to disguise herself as a boy to keep up the family business. (She's a tailor, and no man would let his measurements be taken by a woman.) When the young boy she takes in is threatened, she faces down two giants and ends up becoming the country's hero.

This take on "The Brave Little Tailor" features a heroine who is intelligent and unsurprisingly valiant. She might not be a physica
Debby

When I first heard about Valiant, a fairy tale retelling with gender bending set at court and involving battles with giants, I knew I had to have this book in my life. It had so many of my favorite things that I couldn't resist. And while I'm late in reviewing the book because the release date was moved up without my knowledge, I'm so glad I managed to fit this one into my schedule after all. Let me take a moment and give this brilliant and fun debut novel some of the publicity it so ri
Shantelle
I quite loved this book! Valiant by Sarah McGuire is a retelling of The Brave Little Tailor, which I used to read (the mickey mouse version, hehe) all the time when I was little! It was so, so fun seeing the similarities ... when I found out it was indeed a retelling of that fairytale, I was so excited!

There was a little bit of romance - so sweet and satisfying. Some violence/gruesomeness/creepiness due to the giants and whatnot; but not much at all. I really liked all the characters! Our little
Jessica Taylor
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This fairy tale retelling captured my heart! Saville is my favorite type of protagonist. She’s strong and determined, yet vulnerable and thoughtful. Those quieter moments make her seem all the more brave. There’s nothing not to love about this book. The writing is stellar. The romance is sweet and believable. The secondary characters are developed with depth and dimension. I adored this book!
Naomi
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I gotta say... I am a real sucker for fairytales, romances, adventures, and heart warming stories. And this book? Was a combo of all of it. The description on the back of the book it goes like this (what can I say? It says it best 😂): when Saville‘s father falls ill, she’ll do anything to survive – even dressed as a boy and beg for a commission to sew for the king. But piecing together a fine coat is far simpler than the feeding an army of giants marching towards Regen, led by a man who cannot b ...more
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I do love a clever girl! And Saville is the cleverest. She, a lowly tailor's assistant (well, assistant to her father, who is The Tailor) manages to clever her way out of several bad situations and do what no one else can do: face off against what seems to be an insurmountable foe.

The writing is so beautiful and evocative and geez, how many books do you read where an author can describe how it feels to be falling in love and you think it's the first time you've ever read about such a th
Gillian Berry

Ahhhhh, that was so cute! Classic, old-shool fairy tale retelling like Ella Enchanted or Shannon Hale (very accureate, book synopsis, very accurate indeed). Bit of an uneven start, but once I was into this, I was totally into this. Finished it at 3 am! The ship is super cute, too, and the plot has got quite a bit of action and momentum. This book just made me happy.
Kristi
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Fantasy, strong women. Romance, giants, royalty, castles, battles. I am super excited about this one. I can't wait for more from Sarah McGuire.
Fi's Journey
The giant looked up at the sky. "The stars are the only things here that remind me of home.
Where I live, where we come from, we hear truth in stone... Stone does not lie if you listen to it. Our people know this."

4.5 stars?

I really enjoyed this book because you know, giants! I was so glad when finally the giants came into the story as I love tales that have different creatures in it.
I'm unsure of giving it 5 stars as it had a few grammar mistakes, a missing apostrophe and there were two senten
Amy
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Amy by: Elevetha I think?
I loved Valiant! It had a developed heroine, satisfying relationships, and lovely writing. I was only vaguely familiar with "The Brave Little Tailor" going in, but it is easy to see how the author takes the story and adds layers. Some re-tellings flesh out the original, others improve it. Valiant is definitely in the latter.
What drew me in initially was Saville's relationship with her Dad. Her response to his anger and selfishness was believable and true. Her emotions aren't "overdone", yet it
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
I have never read the fairytale The Valiant Little Tailor/The Brave Little Tailor so I can't attest to how it did as a fairytale retelling but I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The story itself was interesting (at its core) but I couldn't connect with any of the characters. In fact, it was hard to tell exactly the age of any of the characters. Some characters that seemed older talked like children and vice versa. The writing was cheesy and all of the conflicts were too easily solved.

Check
serena482*
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mary
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I saw this book on fellow GoodReader Rane's feed and had a serious case of cover love. I simply had to have this book in my life now! But sadly it wasn't be to published for another month so I had to wait. Sadface.

Valiant is a retelling of Grimm's 'The Valiant Tailor', one of their less popular stories, but Valiant makes some changes and moulds it into an adventure story, rather than one simply about cunning and cleverness. For one, the protagonist is a girl and the King doesn't pull any str
Heather Brown
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: middle grades, elementary grades
Valiant is going to be a big hit in my Library! Fairy tales retold are the big new thing these days, and while "The Brave Little Tailor" isn't as well known as some, that just makes it better! Who wants Snow White for the millionth time? With emotions and ideas that will resonate with today's readers, Valiant tells the story of Saville, who cannot keep from helping people. She helps her unloving father keep their tailoring business until he can get well and helps a starving boy become useful and ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Saville is a likeable character, but although this book spins together an eccentrically wonderful story, much of it was just filler. Saville's inner thoughts and rants, action with no substance and scenes that drag on way too long. This book still has a lot of creativity and a lot to offer though, it's worth reading if you're a fan of middle grade fantasy.
Rachel 007
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a delightful little book!
Hailey Hudson
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
DNF because it's due at the library. It was a little boring, I think just because I haven't read MG in a while
Nafiza
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Valiant by Sarah McGuire is a delightful retelling of The Brave Little Tailor collected by Grimms, Lang and many others. I really liked the way McGuire retold this story in a way that incorporates modern sensibilities and contemporary thought yet retains the essence of the fairy tale.

Saville has a fractious relationship with her father, a tailor who, after conflicts with his guild, has uprooted them from their home and relocated them to the city of Reggen. Saville’s father has more love for his
Brandy Painter
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

Valiant by Sarah McGuire has so many elements I love in a book: fairy tale elements, a brave yet flawed heroine, a determined hero, kingdom politics, and a land in peril. There was so much I enjoyed about the book. (Not the least being I actually read a book I liked! After weeks of hating everything.)

Saville has always known her father loves the fabrics he sews as a tailor more than he's ever loved anything or anyone else including her. S
Jewel
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
So for some reason , all I want to read lately is fairy tale retellings.

Contemporaries are making me snore.
Urban fantasy is all the same.
I'm not in the mood for a thriller.
I don't want to read something sad.
Original Dystopian novels are hard to find.

It's so weird. Everything is borrrrrrinnngggg.

Except fairy-tales.

Give me some plucky heroine fighting a war in a faraway land and I will be a happy camper.

So this book was a joy to read because

a) It IS a fairy-tale retelling

and

b) It is ex
Stefani Sloma
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
You can read this review and more on my blog, Caught Read Handed.

Saville hates the bolts of fabric that her father loves more than her. After Saville’s father moves her to Reggen, he becomes ill, and she must find a way to survive, even if her plan involves wearing boy’s clothes and using those hated bolts of fabric to gain a commission from the king. Life gets even crazier when giants, which are supposed to only be stories, come for Reggen. Saville tricks them into leaving, and as court gossip
Briana
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Source: Netgalley

Valiant is a compelling fairy tale retelling, based on an original tale and featuring a strong female protagonist.  The story follows teenage Saville as she struggles to make her way independently in a new town and as she inadvertently becomes the kingdom’s champion while trying to help a friend.  Events quickly escalate as the people make further demands on her heroism and she becomes embroiled in both politics and battle.

As a take on “The Valiant Little Tailor,” Valiant stands
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• It Started With Goodbye
  • The Ordinary Princess
  • The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #1)
  • The Witch's Boy
  • Before Midnight - A Retelling of Cinderella
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors
  • The Princess Curse
  • Arcade and the Golden Travel Guide (The Coin Slot Chronicles #2)
  • No Place Like Here
  • Across Five Aprils
  • The Vikings
  • Angel on the Square (Angel on the Square, #1)
  • Tales From the Hood
  • Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1)
  • Arcade and the Triple T Token (The Coin Slot Chronicles #1)
  • Adventuring Together: How to Create Connections and Make Lasting Memories with Your Kids
  • The False Prince (The Ascendance Series, #1)
  • East (East, #1)
Sarah McGuire is a nomadic math teacher who sailed around the world aboard a floating college campus. She writes fairy tales and fun fantasy and would be just fine if one day she opened a wardrobe and stumbled into another world. Coffee and chocolate are her rocket fuel. She wishes Florida had mountains, but she lives there anyways with her husband (who wrote this bio in less than three minutes!) ...more