Start by marking “Taming The Black Dog - A Guide To Overcoming Depression” as Want to Read:
Taming The Black Dog - A Guide To Overcoming Depression

Taming The Black Dog - A Guide To Overcoming Depression

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Don't want to get out of bed in the morning? Feeling as though the light at the end of the tunnel is fading? You may be suffering from depression, a condition Winston Churchill referred to as the Black Dog.

Taming the Black Dog is a simple guide to managing depression, which an estimated 1 in 5 people will suffer in one form or another at some time in their lives. This smal
Paperback
Published 2000 by Harpercollins

Be the first to ask a question about Taming The Black Dog - A Guide To Overcoming Depression

Kylie W
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who suffers depression or who lives with someone who suffers depression
If you ever suffer from depression I highly recommend getting this book and keeping it on your bookshelf. It is short, easy to read and has lots of cartoon pictures. Despite the pictures and the easy-to-read factor, it doesn't condescend at all. You can pick this up and just read a couple of pages anywhere at random.

I love it.
Tara
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
A pretty lame form of help for a doctor to give to someone with two degrees almost finished, who was reporting symptoms of depression.
All the same, I can see how it would benefit someone.
Someone who doesn't know what depression is and needs it explained to them in simple terms..
Sammie
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lame book, only read it to see what it was like *Yawn*
Mohammad Ali
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
واقعا مفید و تاثیر گذاره، حجمش کمه و چکیده ی کاملی از روش ها و راهنمایی هاست
با خوندش مسائل، بیشتر براتون روشن میشه.
Angelmae
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a good book to try and review because the aim is very simple and clinical - does it help someone?

As a sufferer myself, it helped, but I know it is probably only a short term helper. Reading it again later when its effects have worn off, probably wont give me any new insights, which probably, unfortunately, relegates this small and fun book to the ranks of "just another self help book". There's a certain inherent resistance in this disease that probably prevents many if not most books of thi
Keybo Taheri
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
great for anyone experiencing depression for the first time. Also great to understand the symptoms and thought patterns. It is like depression 101 for what it is lacking it makes up in cute cartoons and easy to read large words for anyone that has a lot on their mind.

I do a youtube review on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqxSs...
Greta
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Despite the irritating analogy and the cheesy cartoons, the Black Dog of Depression is well drawn in this wee book. Anyone who has experienced depression, or knows someone who has, would benefit from reading this concise, straightforward, and easily accessible explanation of the causes and cures for the thing that will bite most of us at some point or another.
Belskii
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When depressed, the last thing you want to do is read anything dense, even a short article can seem too much. Although it doesn't go into a lot of depth or detail, it is a great and most importantly simple read to help one understand depression, the signs, symptoms and strategies to recovery. A good start to learning about depression.
Choco
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'll probably reread this to get more out of it, which should help me at work.
Kate
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Very helpful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
In 1991 Bev Aisbett launched a full–time freelance career in cartooning and illustration. Around this time, Bev experienced an ordeal commonly known as anxiety disorder. Out of this experience she developed the character "IT" which led to the successful publication of Living With IT, Living IT Up and Letting IT Go. Bev has also published "Get Real, dealing with body image and eating disorders" and ...more
More about Bev Aisbett...