Start by marking “Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel, #3)

Dead End

(DI Geraldine Steel #3)

When headmistress Abigail Kirby’s corpse is discovered in the woods, police are shocked to learn that her tongue was cut out while she lay dying. Then, shortly after a witness comes forward, he is blinded and murdered. With mangled bodies appearing at an alarming rate, Detective Inspector Geraldine Steel must race against time to find the killer before he claims his next v ...more
Published January 28th 2014 by Witness Impulse (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead End

Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I would like to thank the author for writing this book. I've read the previous 2 in the series quite a while ago and I've had this and the next in the series on my Amazon library since December 2011.

When I started reading this, I automatically guessed who the murderer was, but carried on with the book as it was interesting to see how DI Geraldine Steel & DS Ian Peterson would catch the killer. Who is murdering a teacher for her tongue and who would want to kill a 17 year old boy. What did D
Colin Mitchell
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is the third of the DI Geraldine Steel novels set in Kent and finds the Di and Sgt Peterson called to the waste area near a recreation area were a woman's body has been found. This all leads her to a disastrous relationship and more killings.

The book has a good fast pace and I found myself flying through the pages. However there always seem to be a large team of officers lead by a Detective Chief Inspector but not many of them seem to achieve very much, leaving the uniformed branch to clear
Louise Bray
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was great. After the hugely disappointing second edition in this series, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it turned out to be everything I want in a police thriller. Hints and clues were thrown in throughout the novel - just enough to get me thinking and keep me guessing. I ended up reading almost the entire book in one sitting!
Mark
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Inspector Geraldine Steele again graces the pages of Russell's latest British police procedural. Well plotted with a back story that is relevant for today's day and age, "Dead End" is another grim and gory murder that crosses her path to help Steele gain the eventual promotion to London's Metro force.
Although the story line was well paced, enthralling and the characters feel very real, both cops and victims, I feel like Russell actually missed out on a bigger picture here. True, DI St
Anne M.
Another enjoyable book by Leigh Russell. Amazed that Geraldine has survived as she seems to get almost killed in most of the stories!
jeannette allerston
Great book

Really enjoying this series, can not wait to see what is in store for Geraldine, with her transfer will be on to the next book as soon as possible, really recommend this series 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 thank you Leigh Russell for all your time and the hard work that has gone into this series 😊
Mrs Christine Tickle
Quite an easy read. I guessed early on who the murderer was. What I found interesting was the grooming part of the story as I have just attended a safeguarding training day about cyber bullying and grooming. As horrible as it is, it was interesting to see how it was put into the story and hopefully readers with younger children may take notice of this.
R.V. V Biggs
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this is not a new book as I've only just discovered Leigh Russell, but yet another excellent read. This is classic TV police drama stuff and I think would easily rub shoulders against the best of our familiar and regular DI 'x' novels and shows.
Fiona Wilson
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book. Just like all of this author the seem more realistic than some of the other ones I read as it shows you more of an idea of how police come to arrest the suspect which I liked.
Paul
Jul 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book. Got to page 121 and thought to myself life's too short.

Will attempt to read book 4 in the series but if that fails to please I will cease reading anything else by the author. She obviously has her fans but I'm not one of them.

Alison Large
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable book by Leigh Russell.
Pauline
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book in this series look forward to reading the next.
Michelle Wiles
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another great novel about Geraldine Steel. I am loving this series and would highly recommend them.
Kellmorris
A quick and easy read, good plot
Wendy Honour
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, although I did guess who the murderer was early on
Carol Barnes
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book from start to finish. Really liked the characters and writing style and looking forward to reading more in the series
Andrew Cullum
not bad but like the last book the chapters were small and it seemed rushed at the end.
Kriss
Everyone knows how I feel about mysteries, I adore them! No wait, I take them back, they are probably at the top of my pile of must read genre’s that I would hope be on the desert island I get stranded on. Because of this I am pretty apt at figuring out the mystery, the bad guys, etc… so if I am going to rate a mystery book high I am going to expect it to keep me guessing to at least 75% and still surprise me in the end. Before I go into this aspect of the book let me tell you my take on the rea ...more
Martha Cheves
Dead End – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat and Think With Your Taste Buds – Desserts

Abigail’s head hurt. She was afraid something was wrong with her eyes. She couldn’t see anything. A heavy weight was pressing down on her chest. She fought against a feeling of nausea, and tried to turn her head but couldn’t. “Hello,” she croaked. No answer. She was alone in the darkness… “Hello,” she called again. Her throat hurt and there was a strange smell. By now Abigail had realiz
Best Crime Books & More
In Leigh Russell's third installment of 'DI Geraldine Steel' Series we once again see Geralding thrown into a messy and disturbing case. In this particular book, headmistress Abigail Kirby is found dead in a park, but in this instance it seems that her tongue has been cut out. DI Geraldine Steel, along with her colleague Ian Peterson are put on the case, and when a potential witness is blinded and murdered, the case seems to get out of control.

I admit that I am a sucker when it comes to 'series'
Mark
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Dead End’ by Leigh Russell
Published by No Exit Press, 2010. ISBN: 978-1-84243-356-0

When Headmistress Abigail Kirby is murdered, the initial enquiry centres on the immediate family. Although husband Matthew is still living at home he is only there physically. This has clearly had an effect on the two children Ben and Lucy – particularly Lucy, who has taken against her father having become aware of his extra marital activities.

Assigned to the case is DI Geraldine Steel who is still struggling wit
Carol Peace
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of Leigh Russells book I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be looking out for the others and can recommend to any other crime lovers.
DI Geraldine Steel finds herself looking into the gruesome murder of headteacher Abilgail Kirby who is the headmistress of a local school. She can see that Abigails home life is a bit of a mess and although the husband seems to be bewildered at her death. Her children however are a different matter. Her daughter Lucy is convinced her dad killed her m
Marilyn
Third in series of Detective Inspector Geraldine Steele; I was able to read the three consecutively which certainly made for more compelling reading. I enjoyed the interwoven professional life and personal life of DI Steele, made her seem more credible. Ms Russell does not dwell quite so graphically on descriptions of murders or other criminal activities as many of her present-day colleagues do, which will keep me reading her, whereas I have had to abandon other writers for just such writing.
Aunty Janet
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really enjoyable read about DI Geraldine Steele. A serial killer is mutilating his victims in horrible ways and the police are struggling to identify the perpetrator. I did guess quite early on who the killer was, but this did not spoil my enjoyment of the story. I have read the next in the series, I started with Death Bed first, but still enjoyed Geraldine's personal story and look forward to the next in the series.
Tracey Walsh
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feeling smug because I "solved" this one early on, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment. There is so much going on in this story that it grabs your attention and keeps you wondering what could possibly happen next. I enjoyed learning more about the back story of the main character, DI Geraldine Steel and I'm looking forward to the next instalment, although there are a few on my To Be Read pile ahead of it. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it. TDW.
Robyn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy Yingling
Review Written For Partners In Crime Book Tours: A fast paced mystery filled with revenge and ghastly murders. Makes one truly wonder about the tangled web one weaves throughout his or her day and how those decisions could have far reaching implications. Even though this is part of a series it is also an excellent stand alone read, but I found most of the books in this series to be.
Miranda
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No more DI Geraldine Steel for me. I only finished the three I had because I had already purchased them. The heroine is whiny, the author's writing style is erratic to the point of causing mental whiplash and if I wanted to involve myself in soap opera-like relationships, I'd watch daytime TV. I'll stick with my other DI mysteries.
Paulah
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taut, no-nonsense British police drama. The first I've read in Russell's best-selling series, and I look forward to reading more. I love the detective, who reminds me of a young DCI Jane Tennison of Prime Suspect fame. Not exactly, but the same keen eye, hesitancy to take credit for her accomplishments and trouble with relationships of all types.

• Sole Intention (Intention, #1)
  • Pray for the Dying (Bob Skinner, #23)
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)
  • Run For Home (Lorraine Hunt, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Jessica Daniel, #5)
  • Heartless
  • Trapped
  • Ruthless (Annie Carter #5)
  • Dead Before Morning (Rafferty and Llewellyn Police Procedural Series, #1)
  • The Crew
  • Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2)
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • Blood Guilt (Steel City #1)
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • The Fallen Angel (Nic Costa, #9)
  • Broke
  • Eye For An Eye (DCI Gilchrist, #1)
Leigh Russell has sold over a million books in her Geraldine Steel series of crime novels. Published in English and in translation throughout Europe and in China, the Geraldine Steel titles have appeared on many bestseller lists, including #1 on kindle. Leigh's work has been nominated for several major awards, including the CWA New Blood Dagger and CWA Dagger in the Library.
Leigh has also written

DI Geraldine Steel (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cut Short (DI Geraldine Steel, #1)
  • Road Closed (DI Geraldine Steel, #2)
  • Death Bed (DI Geraldine Steel, #4)
  • Stop Dead (DI Geraldine Steel, #5)
  • Fatal Act (DI Geraldine Steel, #6)
  • Killer Plan (DI Geraldine Steel, #7)
  • Murder Ring (DI Geraldine Steel, #8)
  • Deadly Alibi (DI Geraldine Steel #9)
  • Class Murder (DI Geraldine Steel, #10)
  • Killer Christmas (A DI Geraldine Steel Thriller)
“What hands are here! Ha, they pluck out mine eyes.’ Shakespeare” 0 likes
“looking for someone who was working alongside them on the murder team.” 0 likes