Start by marking “Hero Is a Four Letter Word” as Want to Read:
Hero Is a Four Letter Word

Read Excerpt

Hero Is a Four Letter Word

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Good and Evil. Two sides of the same coin? Or something less defined, something more liminal? Entertaining and always thought-provoking, author J.M. Frey offers three remarkable stories that explore the grey area of the hero/villain dichotomy in this debut short story collection.

Funny and irreverent, "The Once And Now-ish King" finds King Arthur reborn. "Just A Four Letter
Published September 30th 2013 by Short Fuse Publishing (first published September 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hero Is a Four Letter Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Is a Four Letter Word

Devann
I received a free copy of this book from StoryCartel in exchange for an honest review

This was a good short read. And although I think the 'theme' of the collection was maybe stretching it a little bit, I did enjoy all three of the stories so I don't mind so much that to me personally they didn't necessarily fit together. It was nice that they were all in different genres and had different tones though, I hate anthologies where you're basically reading the same thing over and over again so maybe
Kris
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
One thing I never expected when I started on the path of becoming a published author was how many awesome relative unknowns I would meet. I fully expected to run into a whole gaggle of writers like myself; eager but clumsy and wanting desperately to see our words on paper if nowhere near good enough for that to happen. But those hidden gems, those diamonds that should be held up to the light for everyone to enjoy, that I didn't expect.

J.M. Frey is one of those diamonds and Hero Is A Four Letter
Madelon
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have had the pleasure of reading the two books available in The Accidental Turn series, by J. M. Frey. An author's long works and short works often tend to be very different. I must say that the three shorter works contained in HERO IS A FOUR LETTER WORD, are true to her very unique voice.

It is difficult to say which of the three I liked best, when all of them have their own singular slant on a legend, a myth and a modern-day super character.

J. M. Frey has made it to my list of 'must read' aut
Stefania
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nowadays more then ever, the word "hero" has acquired an infinity of nuances that make it almost impossible to define. There isn't a shining knight saving the princess anymore. It's the era of young boys and girls, complex and predictable antiheroes, daily saviours such as fireman.
This is what this book, composed of three short stories, should be about. And I say should, because I couldn't really find a sort of clear thought regarding this topic. Or, at least, not what I was expecting by readin
Logan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hero is a Four Letter Word is a quick read (I finished it in two days reading only on my breaks and before work) that gives us a look at a hero, a villain and what I would probably call an anti-hero.
The first story, “The Once and Now-ish King” gives us a look at growing up as Arthur Pendragon in the current world and how his goal of uniting Britain had changed to something a little less life or death than the battlefield. The twist at the end of the story was something that I unfortunately had
Anna Tan
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, review-copy
Hero Is a Four Letter Word is a pretty short read, consisting of 3 short stories.

The first, The Once and Future King was a cute read, featuring a reborn Arthur Pendragon as a baby.

The second story, Another Four Letter Word was my favourite. It's a retelling of Tam Lin and has echoes of all the things I've ever loved from the Turn Series.

The final story, Maddening Science, felt rather meh in comparison, playing on superhero/supervillain tropes. It's good on its own, I suppose, but after reading
Julie
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
This collection of three short stories is entertaining and funny. One tells of the return of King Arthur, one focuses on a washed-out supervillain confronting his past, and the other... well, I don't want to spoil the twist, so I'll just say it's not all it appears to be.
Sometimes, it's easy to become over-focused on thrilling sagas and tense epics and forget that fantasy can be fun. These stories are quick, light-hearted reads for those times you just need something different.
I received a fr
Yoanna
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I got this book in exchange for my honest review.

I did enjoy this little collection. As for each story:

"The Once And Now-ish King". I was... underwhelmed. There wasn't much of a point to it IMO and I kept getting flashes of Family Guy's Dewey (rarely is an association with that show a good thing in my book).

"Just A Four Letter Word" was interesting and well written. It had a lot of story in it and a lot of mythical elements that I appreciated. The MC was lacking at times but my main complaint w
Andrea Jones Laws
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
"Hero is a Four Letter Word" is a series of three short stories. The first story, "The Once and Now-ish King," is a hilarious twist on what is would be like for King Arthur to be a newborn in today's world.
The second story, "Just a Four Letter Word," is about Tam Lin, a man who centuries ago was cursed by a Fae Queen to live forever in order to produce heirs that she would take from him. However, when he meets Jannet, the next descendant with whom him he will produce heirs with, he finds that sh
Morgan Dhu
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hero Is a Four-Letter Word is a short collection of short stories on the themes of heroes, villains and superpowers, good and evil, written by J. M. Frey, previously published in other anthologies and now available via Tapas.

These are not your typical hero stories. Each of the five stories collected here is an unusual take on the themes, looking at extraordinary people and our reactions to them in unexpected ways.

Tackling the subject in a humorous vein, Once and Now-ish King features the second
Christina Boulard
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
HERO is a Four Letter Word is a collection of three short stories.
In the first story--which is the weakest of the three--King Arthur is reborn.
I can't say much without spoiling it, but this one was a bit too weird, even for me. It was amusing, yes...but just a bit too odd and out-there.

The second story was right up my alley, and very familiar.
You ST:TNG fans will remember the episode where Dr. Crusher's Grandmother dies, right?
This story was so similar to that episode...but it had fae! I love
Corrina
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review at wadingthroughbooks.wordpress.com!

As usual, Frey runs the full emotional gauntlet from laughter to heartbreak, with stops along the way at bitterness, regret, anger, determination, desire, and absurdity. Fans of rewritten myths and legends, both ancient and modern, will love her twist on feats of derring-do and what the heroes are really thinking behind their posing and finger-wagging at villains and exclamations of “You can’t do that! That’s naughty!”

Heroes are born to be
Lindsay from TrulyBooked
The battle between good and evil is so familiar to us in fiction that we don’t often think to question it. Nobody doubts the evil of an empire garbed in black, or a super villain who looks like the devil and wants to control the world, but if good versus evil is an idea that’s simple and clear, J.M. Frey seeks to muddy the waters. In Hero Is A Four Letter Word, Frey walks the boundary line between hero and villain with three fresh and inventive short stories. Full disclosure, I received a review ...more
Hollyann
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
(I received an ebook copy in exchange for an honest review.)

The Once and Now-ish King
An interesting idea, but it isn't really a story. It's bits and pieces of the beginning of baby Arthur's new life, with references to Arthurian mythology, including Mordred and Merlin, but I didn't feel satisfied by the end.

Another Four-Letter Word
This was my favorite of the stories. A fully-developed fantasy short with a nice mystery and a cute romance. I appreciate this story giving Jennet autonomy and self-aw
Sabrina Haslimeier
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this trio of short stories more than I thought I would. Good, but not great.
Naapio
rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2016
Patrick
Apr 11, 2016
Frey is an author and professional geek. She is a professional smartypants on AMI Radio's Live From Studio 5 morning show, is an occasional talking head on the SPACE Channel's premier chat show InnerSPACE, has appeared in documentaries, lived in Japan, and lent costumes to the Ontario Science Centre. She also has a number of academic credentials, including a BA in Dramatic Literature and an MA in ...more