Start by marking “Life Inside the Bubble: Why a Top-Ranked Secret Service Agent Walked Away from It All” as Want to Read:

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  48 reviews
He swore to take a bullet for the President and left it all behind to take a bullet for the American people Why would a successful, twelve-year Secret Service agent resign his position in the prime of his career to run for political office against all the odds? New York Times
Published November 19th 2013 by WND Books

To ask other readers questions about Life Inside the Bubble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Inside the Bubble

Marion
I'm a big Dan Bongino fan and I looked forward to reading his book. He's led a life many of us can't imagine, and "Life Inside the Bubble" gives readers a brief glimpse into his world. Regrettably, it's (necessarily) a very brief glimpse. "Life" loses a star for all the good stories that were left out due to that pesky top secret security clearance. It loses a second star for being redundant - lots of words, phrases, and stories were repeated throughout the book. Still, I learned some things abo ...more
Denis Vukosav
"Life Inside the Bubble" by Dan Bongino is the story about a man who went from being a cop and secret agent, to eventually completely abandoning his career and embarking upon the dark water of policy.

Dan Bongino started his career as member of NY Police Department, in his home city where he was raised since he was born in Queens.
Although he grew up modestly, from the start of his career he gradually started ascending the hierarchy by successful realization of his tasks, gaining greater and more
Janet Pawelek
I'm wonderful....blah, blah, blah...I am the best...blah, blah, blah....I got the highest score...blah, blah, blah....I have all the answers to government's problems..blah, blah, blah...
Did not enjoy this egotistical rambling.
Barbara Stafford
A must read!

Amazing insight from this man's experience in the Secret Service. A wake up call for those of us who love our country.
The title was what caused me to read the book, and my expectations was not to find out secrets but to learn about the endurance, professional and committment of a person in the Secret Services. The fact that he couldn't talk about many things didn't bother me at all, what I wondered was in comments about our current President, why but and after thought it made me wonder was his dislike of the man coloring his opinion. Then his leaving and his future goals which perhaps having this career may hel ...more
Jessica
I started this book thinking it would give insight on life inside the White House bubble. Maybe give a glimpse of the president we don't normaly see or at least of the life style of the important, people living there who make it The White House.

Instead we get a glimpse inside 'the bubble' around one secret service agent.
And trust me, it's a very small bubble. (no room for taking about anything but himself)

I wish he'd cut out 3/4 of the random personal stories and very opinionated politics and
Mat
This is one of the worst books I have ever read. I have every intention of fully fleshing out this review as time and my patience permit.

I had believed that this book might be an interesting fly-on-the-wall perspective on what it's like to be a secret service agent. Are they like food tasters of yore? Does the secret service make sure Presidential poop remains a state secret, as they did with Reagan?

Almost nothing of interest is discussed in this book.

It is a hamfisted biography riddled with spe
Shane Grier
A good one.

Of course Mr. Bongino couldn't go into all the details behind protecting the president or how to catch counterfeiters, but the book remained a page turner. I congratulate the author on his convictions and honoring his country. A good book for the political out there.
Richard
This book is sort of two books in one. The first 2/3rds is Bongino's biography and an account of his time in law enforcement & the Secret Service. It's a compelling story but not unlike other books I've read about Secret Service agents. This part of the book merits 3 stars in my opinion.

The final few chapters give Bongino's assessment of some of the key failures of the Obama Administration and the Federal government in general: Fast & Furious, Benghazi, and the Boston Marathon bombing. T
Joe
Twas just ok, I enjoyed his backstory and time in the secret service... but it suddenly stops storytelling before any climax, and fizzles out with complaints of government red tape and calls for political activism.
Anna D
The author is self-aggrandizing to the extreme, and unfortunately the book seems to lack any other substance. It does not provide what the title promises by speaking of what life in the secret service is like, but you are rather forced to listen to the author complain about the sacrifices or his personal life that were involved in working for the Secret Service, while learning absolutely nothing about the supposed theme of the book. Frankly, it was hard to trudge through, and I was only able to ...more
Michael
We have all seen pictures of Secret Service agents next to presidents. Most of us have no idea how they do what they do or their thoughts on many issues. Bongino provides us with a remarkable vision of the behind the scenes action. I really like his first hand account of security. The second half of the book focused on the failures of government agencies--with a mixture of information gleaned from news stories but with the analysis that comes from a first hand account of time spent in the Secret ...more
Jonathan
This book serves a couple of purposes. First, is gives some insight into the life of a Secret Service agent. Cool stuff!!! Second, it provides inside details about events we read about in the news. More cool stuff!!! Lastly, it is his rant about about how our government is failing the people and various solutions he has.

It is this last point that might turn off some people from reading the book, which I purchase cheap off Amazon Kindle. I appreciated his insight into various fiascoes the governm
Michael Collier
I purchased Life Inside the Bubble on the iTunes Store one morning after it caught my eye in the 'New Releases' section. I had finished it by that evening. Author Dan Bongino gives a fascinating inside look at his journey from NYPD officer to Secret Service agent, where he eventually made his way to a position on the coveted Presidential Protective Division (PPD). Serving under both presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, Bongino's book is filled with insider anecdotes of life in the PPD. Ev ...more
Easy read knocked it out in two sittings. For anyone who has ever lived in the bubble the DC metro area is, an interesting read. As a person who grew up inside the federal government system. My Father worked for the Air Force, and later the Secret Service and retired after thirty years of service. My father would never have been so ballsy as to believe he is more important then the dignitaries he was responsible for. I believe Dan Bongino believes that he is more important than, smarter than, an ...more
Kathy
Interesting autobiography of a former NYC police officer and 12-year Secret Service agent who protected 2 presidents. Interesting to read the stories of an insider. I heard him interviewed and was impressed with his values, his experiences, and his dedication to action and to doing what he thinks is right. He is a much better speaker than writer, however. If you get a chance to hear him speak, take it. However, this book doesn't do credit to his passion.
Barbara
I enjoyed reading the life story of Dan Bongino, who served as a Secret Service agent in both the Bush and Obama administrations. Without giving away all operative secrets, he describes the life of an agent and the dedication with which they perform their job. Most interesting were the last four chapters where he examines three recent security crises in the U.S. and gives us his take on solutions.
Dave Hoff
Autobiography of a former NYPD & Secret Service Agent turned candidate for the senate, Tells of all the training he took to become a cop & much more to be a SS Agent. Much work goes into preparing for the Pres. to visit another country, only to have Obama call it off 3 times. He does not bad mouth Obama but clearly their politics differ.
John
This book delivered a lot less than I thought it would. I think the author bases some of his stories on second hand knowledge about government activities. He was a member of the Secret Service and not some of the other governmental departments he discusses. I don't think there are any startling revelations shared.
Jim Brown
This is the story of the life of a Secret Service Agent who eventually served on the White House Protection Detail. It provides a chronological history of his development from police officer to Secret Service Agent and his experiences including the politics of the Secret Service. Great read.
Martin
I expected more from this book but I suppose that would have been impossible without divulging secrets which the author wasn't willing to do. His obvious love of country and willingness to make sacrifices in the service of our great country is refreshing. My hope is that someday he'll be a better US Senator than he is an author.
Lisa
Great Book! I so appreciate Dan's service and integrity! What a good man! I didn't know much about the secret service and now I can be grateful for their dedication and service. I am also glad for the insights into Ben Ghazi, Fast and Furious, and the Boston Marathon bombing.
Heather Mumaw
Interesting account of day-to-day life in the Secret Service but way too much commentary on uber conservative political views. Also, I can see it why this author got so much flak from his former colleagues; it seems that he really inflates his importance and job duties.
Chris Macek
Bubbleheaded

Bubbleheaded

this book is nothing more than a guy blowing his own horn. he has aspirations to ascend to the exalted level of senator so he too can live inside the bubble. don't waste your money or time on this book.
Interesting, fast take on life inside the political machine and some interesting takes on recent events. It gave me some food for thought, but also seemed like a way for him to promote his ideals. Was definitely interesting.
chad banter
New perspectives on big government

Have always considered myself a liberal but this book will certainly make me question my parties approaches to establishing individual liberties. Definitely a good read!
Laraine Tyska
Compelling sensitive

this is definitely a book the masses need to read.
Dan has put things in their proper perspective. this book is
well written. causes the reader to think.

Jeffrey Carpenter
This book was ok and provided an interesting view from inside the Secret Service, but only provided limited information (for obvious reasons). It was a little tedious because of his constant patting himself on the back and repetition in relating his wife's sacrifices because of his career.

Some promotion of this author in interviews he has conducted might lead people to think this book details specifics as to how Obama feels about citizens and his strategy for changing the country, but that is no
David
Was entertaining, more of a personal journey story (for an agent turned politician) rather than a detailed look inside the Presidential detail, but Dan's story is a good one.
Dave Jones
I have always enjoyed Dan when he appears on TV or radio. His book is more of the same. No great insight. If you like him, this book won't change your mind. Lots of short stories or insights but not alot of detail.
  • Disinformation
  • Miracles and Massacres: True and Untold Stories of the Making of America
  • Power to the People
  • Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century
  • Kids Are Americans Too
  • Code Name: Johnny Walker: The Extraordinary Story of the Iraqi Who Risked Everything to Fight with the U.S. Navy SEALs
  • Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters
  • The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed about Thomas Jefferson
  • Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World!
  • Taylor's Gift: A Courageous Story of Giving Life and Renewing Hope
  • Still the Best Hope: Why the World Needs American Values to Triumph
  • Everyday Paleo Around the World: Italian Cuisine: Authentic Recipes Made Gluten-Free
  • The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff
  • Don't Hurt People and Don't Take Their Stuff: A Libertarian Manifesto
  • The Roots of Obama's Rage
  • The Liberty Amendments: Restoring the American Republic
  • Civil Rights: Rhetoric or Reality
  • Double Dog Dare (Raine Stockton Dog Mystery, #8)

“When everybody owns something, nobody owns it, and nobody has a direct interest in maintaining or improving its condition.” 0 likes
“As the late economist Milton Friedman once stated,” 0 likes