Start by marking “Dream of Danger (Brown and de Luca, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Dream of Danger (Brown and de Luca, #1.5)

Dream of Danger

(Brown and de Luca #1.5)

SPECIAL E-Only Novella

She didn't want to need him.

Murder brought self-help guru Rachel de Luca and Detective Mason Brown together. Their shared secrets drove them apart. But now they're together again in this riveting novella that begins where New York Times bestselling author Maggie Shayne's Sleep with the Lights On ended.

She may have been blind for twenty years, but
Published November 1st 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dream of Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream of Danger

Start your review of Dream of Danger (Brown and de Luca, #1.5)
Mo
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Can barely remember it.... finished it a few days ago.
Mei
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
This is a short story of only 50 pages, so I read it very quickly.

I loved the first book of the series Sleep With the Lights On (Brown and De Luca #1) by Maggie Shayne . This one is a direct sequel.

It's just like a quick snack before the next installment Dream of Danger (Brown and De Luca #1.5) by Maggie Shayne

Here Mason and Rachel are in search of Amy who's disappeared while going to her parents house for Thanksgiving.

There's still a very strong attraction between them, but their remain firm about remaining separate, even if we see that it's becoming more difficult.

There's Myrtle too. She's got obese. LOL

Amy's
Lynne Davis
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-kindle
Very good short story; I usually don't like novellas. This was an enjoyable read!
Dina
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Dina by: Kindle freebie
3 1/2 stars (rounded down to 3 stars, because the mystery of Amy's disappearance wasn't completely explained by the end of the story - and for that, I don't think this installment of the series stands on its own)
A Reader's Heaven
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Self-help guru and author Rachel de Luca was blind for 20 years before recently regaining her sight. While blind, she developed a knack of reading people and seeing through their lies. So when she meets her assistant, Amy, new boyfriend, her senses go into overdrive. She distrusts him from the very beginning.

Amy is heading up to see her family for Thanksgiving with her new beau but on the morning of Thanksgiving, Rachel gets a phone call from Amy's mother saying that she didn't arrive home.
Sher
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to Sleep with the Lights on..It is great to see that the chemistry between Rachel and Mason is still there.. They are taking a cooling off period from each other tho , and it is definitely getting to both of them.
Since she has regained the site she lost years ago, she is getting to know her self and the world again..But they definitely want to take their relationship to another level.
And Myrtle is back.. I can see her sitting in the car with her goggles and her scarf on..lol.
Anita
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

This short novella was enjoyable, but felt kind of pointless and open-ended, like it would have been better off as a full-length novel with more material. That being said, I DID still enjoy it if only because I'm kind of in love with Rachel's voice and narration, and I'm kind of in love with Myrtle, the adorable blind bulldog. The mystery/suspense/thriller part was a little 'meh'. And Mason really just did not even feel present.

There are hints that there might be more to
K. Anna Kraft
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I think I started this one on the wrong foot, since I didn't read any other installments to the Brown and de Luca series before picking it up. But even so, it was an enjoyable read. Rachel's amusing as heck!

Anyway, the rest of my thoughts have been arranged into a haiku:

"As the eye opens,
Receptors come alive, and
Will not be ignored."
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

A good filler between book 1 and 2, this short story is not absolutely required but I enjoyed it just the same. Amy is a cool character and it was good to spend a bit more time with her.
Huda Al-Anbar
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Short Thanksgiving novella starring my favorite couple Rachel de Luca and Mason Brown.
Rachel's assistant Amy goes missing on her way to her parents for thanksgiving, and it is up to Rachel to find her and return her home safely.

Hbeebti
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebies
This was a really good novella. I enjoyed Mason and Rachel teaming up again to find Amy. But what wasnt explained was who it was and why it happened. I wanted the details. Oh well.
Linda Walters
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was short in the number of pages but I loved every minute of it. This was the first book that I have read in this series. But I didn't have one ounce of trouble keeping up with what was going on.
The personalities in the book were strong ones and not just the main characters and I liked that.

I just HAD to give it 5 stars on Amazon just because of the writers style alone. The way that the thought speech that went on in Rachel's head and out of her mouth was hilarious. Rough and tough at many
Will Decker
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun little story that picks up from a previous story in the series without missing a beat. But even if you haven't read the first book in the series, the story leads you in gently like a stand-alone should. Good suspense and character development will leave you wanting more.
Barbara
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story

This was a quick read with a pretty good story line, though I would have enjoyed it more if it had been longer and with a little more depth to it. I liked the characters and hope to get to know them more in other stories.
Jovdb
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another novella.

Great book. Strong characters in Rachel, Amy and Detective Mason Brown.

Although this is part of a series, it can be read as a stand alone. There are references to previous events, but this story is complete in and of itself.
Amanda Siegrist
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable short story!

I enjoyed this short story! Ive read a few of Maggie Shaynes books and they always keep me engaged from start to finish! Love this couple, Mason and Rachel.
Alexandria Tale
A solid novella. The ending was actually quite open ended, and it was a great prologue to another story in the future.
Anne - Books of My Heart
This short followup to book 1 sets Brown and deLuca on a short holiday adventure. It also provides a possibility for them to work together in the future.
Brandy
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Peplexed

Usually I enjoy Ms. Shane's books but this one I just could not get into. It was leaving me wanting something more. Just couldn't get into.
Dannica Zulestin
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: freebie, hq, novella
I liked it but it was really short. Just a teaser for the rest of the series, I suppose, which I will probably never get the chance to read. If I do, though, I'll give it a shot-Maggie Shayne seems to be a good author and I liked the protagonist's voice, even if this novella was mediocre due to a lack of plot and depth because of its length. Enjoyable popcorn.
Aisha Oaktree
Originally Reviewed on Bewitching Bibliophile

I snagged this one even though I wasn't reading the series yet, and I'm so glad I did. This picks up a few months after the events of book one. Mason & Rachel have decided to give themselves some time to come to terms with what happened and also Rachel is new to having sight and wants to make sure she's really getting to know the 'new' her.

However, this new talent she's developed won't let her have some time. She senses when a friend is in grave
Liam Hamer
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Picking things up soon after the dramatic conclusion to Sleep With The Lights On; we see how Rachel De Luca and Mason Brown are faring in their attempt to readjust to 'normal' life. Thanksgiving is approaching and it soon becomes clear that Rachel and Mason's heads will have to be put together once again to uncover a mystery; this time the disappearance of Amy, Rachel's friend (beloved friend actually, but Rachel would be hesitant to admit this) and assistant.

Being a freebie and teaser for the
Kathy
Christina T
Marketed as a free novella, this is, at best, a short story with very little closure but still a nice glimpse into the progression of the Brown/de Luca romance.

The Good: The suspense was actually pretty good. I was honestly scared for Amy and was afraid she was certainly going to meet her end. Perhaps it was because I'm a fan of The Walking Dead where they tend to kill off their regular cast with, well, regularity but I was really thinking they'd find Amy all butchered by some whackadoo serial
Kathy Martin
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novella fits into the series after SLEEP WITH THE LIGHTS ON and before WAKE TO DARKNESS. Rachel's assistant Amy disappears on the way to Thanksgiving Dinner with her family. Her plans had been to take her new boyfriend home with her. Rachel never liked the guy; she feels that something isn't right about him. So, she snaps a picture of his car showing his license plate when he takes off with her.

When Amy's mother calls the next morning to say that Amy didn't arrive, Rachel's first call is to
LaFleurBleue
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
This freebie came in second position in a series featuring the same recurring leads.
And reading this short story was in fact enough to convince me not to try the rest of the series.
I did not like the writing, which felt too familiar, too spoken with plenty of passages written like those were thoughts from one of the character, and therefore with their oral slang. Too much of it for my taste.
When learning progressively bits and pieces of what happened in the first book and what was the plot
Christyn
Dream of Danger is an in-between novella set between Sleep with the Lights On and Wake to Darkness. It helps if you've read the first book, if you haven't then you'll be missing stuff. In this in-between book, Amy, Rachel's assistant, goes missing on the way to her family home for Thanksgiving. Rachel and Mason work together to track her down. As with many novellas and short stories I wish it was longer, simply because I felt the length just doesn't give room to do the storyline justice. It ...more
Shirley
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 1/2.... Most definitely

Im really liking this series. I think what I like most is Rachels personality. She is just real. Im not sure if its her sharp, opinionated tongue. Her love of color everywhere. The way she dotes over her dog or the way she doesnt think she just acts, especially when it comes to loving and protecting her friends. The combination that makes Rachel who she is definitely works. I love her relationship with the other characters too and not just the heat that is palpable
Charity Costa
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved seeing Rachel and Mason again, but I am over the moon excited I got to see how Myrtle was doing in the novella.

Rachel was blind for 20 years and now she can see, she is going to need a little time to adjust but can she stay away from Mason long enough to adjust the way she needs to. Well that is not going to happen right now because she needs Mason's help.

Mason also needs some time to adjust after his brothers suicide and after discovering his brothers deepest darkest secret. He has
Mary
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
She may have been blind for twenty years, but Rachel's always had an uncanny gift for seeing through people--and she distrusts her assistant's new boyfriend at first sight. Amy isn't interested in Rachel's misgivings, though. She's too eager to celebrate Thanksgiving by introducing her family to the new man in her life.

Then Amy doesn't show up for the holiday....

Desperate to find her missing friend, Rachel has no choice but to turn to Mason. Their investigation into Amy's disappearance takes
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7)
  • Hunting for a Highlander (Highland Brides, #8)
  • Fire and Ice (Buchanan-Renard, #7)
  • The Timeweaver's Wager
  • The Black Beast of Belleterre: A Victorian Christmas Novella
  • Hotshot (Buchanan-Renard, #11)
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • A Wedding Breakfast (Guild Hunter, #5.1)
  • Strangers She Knows (Cape Charade, #3)
  • Nobody
  • Bad to the Bone (The Dogfather, #4)
  • Wherever You Are (Bad Reputation Duet, #2)
  • One Night at the Refuge (Guild Hunter, #0.2)
  • The Target (FBI Thriller, #3)
  • Shadow Dance (Buchanan-Renard, #6)
  • The Billionaire's Secret (Betting on You, #1)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest big cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hour ...more

Brown and de Luca (5 books)
  • Sleep with the Lights On (Brown and de Luca #1)
  • Wake to Darkness (Brown and de Luca, #2)
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)
  • Deadly Obsession (Brown and de Luca, #4)
  • Girl Blue (Brown & de Luca, #5)

News & Interviews

“It was nine forty-five. I had Myrt’s designer goggles dangling from one finger. Amy held out her hand. “I’ll take vet duty if I can borrow the Subaru.” 0 likes