Start by marking “The Runaway Friend: A Kirsten Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Friend: A Kirsten Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

The Runaway Friend: A Kirsten Mystery

(American Girl Mysteries)

Kirsten Larson has been living on the Minnesota frontier for only a few weeks when her neighbor and friend, Erik Sandahl, disappears. Erik had promised to help the Larsons at harvest time--and he owes Uncle Olav money. Has Erik run out on his promises? Everyone seems to think so--except Kirsten. Can she figure out what's happened to her friend?

Takes place in 1854.
Published March 1st 2008 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Friend

Start your review of The Runaway Friend: A Kirsten Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Sky Destrian
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, American Girl fans
Shelves: 2008
There are only a few good mysteries in the world, and I think that this one qualifies under that category. It was a little below my reading level, but that wasn't a big deal. I thought it was really intriguing; I never guessed what was going to happen, well... except when I read ahead! ;) Anyway, I liked this book, and it was very well-written.
Sesana
More like 2.5 stars. I'm not surprised that I didn't like this one as well as some of the others. Kirsten was never a favorite.
Ciara
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
jeez louise. this book seemed needlessly complex to me. especially for a kiddo. let's go to the recap:

it's unclear to me when exactly this book takes place because i haven't read kirsten's introductory series in a long time. kirsten doesn't speak, understand, or read english at this point, so it must be before her school story? i'm not sure.

kirsten & her family are living with mr. larson's brother & his family. they have a lot of other swedish immigrant neighbors, & everyone socializes & they he
Jessa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This was a good one! The debt premise that kicks off early was pretty stressful but I do like how balanced a character Kirsten is, and how the books do a good job of character building for her and world building for what's going on around her
Wintermote
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed but really wondering about the historical accuracy of all the neighbors so close together on the frontier...
Megan
An awesome mystery, set probably in between book 1 and 2 of Kirsten. I really enjoyed it, and I actually liked it better than the series, even though the series was great too.
Cecilia
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Cecilia by: No one
Not very interesting. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody I know. I kinda felt like I kept falling asleep.
Sara
Feb 17, 2019 added it
A solid installment in the American Girl mystery series. Kept me in suspense and I enjoyed learning more about Swedish American life on the Minnesota frontier.
Kayla Smith
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot. I really liked how Kirsten stood up for Erik, even when nobody else did.
Jessica
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: goodreads
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Ashley
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kirsten has been living on the Minnesota Frontier for only a few weeks when her neighbor and friend, Erik Sandahl, disappears. Erik had promised to help the Larsons at harvest time, and he owes Uncle Olav money. Has he run out on his promises? Everyone seems to think so - except Kirsten. Can she figure out what's happened to her friend?

About The Author: Kathleen Ernst is a writer and a historian. She spent twelve years working at a living-history museum called Old World Wisconsin, where she expe
Marya
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-series
While the main books in the series and the subsequent short stories are addressed for girls in the 8-10 range, this followup books is for a noticeably older age group. Perhaps the nature of a mystery stories (which must create an atmosphere of intense suspense), and the pioneer books (which must find a multitude of ways to threaten the characters with death from the elements) is what gives this book such a sinister spin. The Very Special Issues included in this book include domestic violence, cl ...more
Elizabeth
Kirsten's Friend Erik goes missing and she tries to gather clue to find him.

This book was okay I guess. I didn't really like it. I liked it at the beginning, but as it started getting towards the end it didn't really make sense.
This did keep me guessing and trying to figure out what had happened to him, but as the "clues" started unraveling the story it didn't really help. Then Kirsten makes a guess "oh, I bet he *** * ****** and he went to **** ***" (not real quote and I replaced the actual wo
Amie
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was good.

Likes:
1) It takes place shortly after Kirsten arrives in America, and shows the struggles immigrants faced.
2) The mystery wasn't exactly obvious, and a few red herrings were thrown in.
3) I assumed the 'friend' would be a young friend of Kirsten's. Spoiler: It's a family friend. This makes the story more plausible.

Dislikes:
1) It takes place so soon after the Larson's arrive in America, it's awkward knowing everything they would truly be saying would be in Swedish.

Overall I'm happ
Meg
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is good for girls who have american girl dolls!
Sydney
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. You can see that the authe put a lot of effort in to the book
Amanda Kay
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Although its nice to see more development for Kirsten, its hard to fit this into her storyline. Ernst doesn't seem to quite get Kirsten. An alright little mystery.
Katharine Ott
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
"The Runaway Friend" - written by Kathleen Ernst and published in 2008 by American Girl Publishing. An engaging American Girl story featuring immigrants to Minnesota.
Susan
May 08, 2010 added it
slow, but good
Kristen Luppino
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun little Kirsten story!
Sue
FurPurLuxy
Aug 17, 2019
Chloe
May 01, 2018

• Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha, #1)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Happy Birthday Samantha!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Samantha, #4)
  • Addy Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Addy, #2)
  • Changes for Kirsten: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #6)
  • Kirsten on the Trail
  • Samantha Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Samantha, #5)
  • Changes for Samantha: A Winter Story (American Girls: Samantha, #6)
  • Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4)
  • Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • Kirsten Snowbound!
  • Kirsten and the New Girl
  • Kirsten's Promise (American Girls Short Stories)
  • Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)
  • Meet Julie (American Girls: Julie, #1)
  • Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing

American Girl Mysteries (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Ghost Wind Stallion: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery
  • The Traveler's Tricks: A Caroline Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Smuggler's Secrets: A Caroline Mystery
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Glowing Heart: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)