Start by marking “Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)” as Want to Read:
Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)

Conquer the Flames

(Lang Downs #4)

Thorne Lachlan knows a thing or two about getting himself safely out of a blaze. For years he fought in the world’s hot spots, a Commando with the Australian Army. Now, retired, he fights flames for the Royal Fire Service. When a grassfire brings him to Lang Downs, the next sheep station in danger, Thorne meets Ian Duncan and sparks fly that neither man can put out. But bo ...more
Published September 27th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Conquer the Flames, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquer the Flames

Trisha Harrington
Okay, so I want to try and write a spoiler free review, which is going to be impossible. But I do have to say, I loved the book. Conquer the Flames has less Caine and Macklin than the others did. For me, that was a good thing, this couple needed more time in the book than the others really did. I'm not going to really say why, but both MC's had their issues. And those issues needed to be done really well and they needed to be a focus in the book.

In the Lang Down's world, this book jumped 5 years
Tina
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance

After reading the preview three books it's like coming home to the sheep station in the Australian outback. So welcome back to Long Downs - to Caine + Macklin, Chris + Jesse, Sam + Jeremy, and - five years later – to our new couple Ian + Thorne. It was great to meet the whole 'gang' again.

I was hoping to finally getting to know Ian Duncan, the quiet loner of Long Downs. Ian has always believed that the foster care nightmare he escaped before coming to Lang Downs would make any relationship impos
V
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love this series and I was looking forward to read this story, however this is the one that I like the least and it's a real shame, because what could possible go wrong with 2 Aussie guys in an Australian setting? I was hoping that nothing, but…

First of all, I didn’t mind at all that this story didn’t have sex scenes, the two main character Ian and Thorne had so many issues that these two guys better don't go near a bed or anywhere else, to get hot and dirty.
I don't know how many times I had t
Karen
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mm
What did you think? That's the question of the hour here. Overall, I enjoyed this book, I mean really I was reading it in the middle of the night not once but twice.

When is a kiss not a kiss? When it is all that one man can do to express his love for another. Thorne & Ian, two men both suffering the effects of PTSD but due to vastly different reasons. Thorne because of things he seen and done in his 20 years as a Commando. Ian because of what was done to him as a child. Yet both left with th
Ami
2.75 rounded up

I had to agree with most of what my friend, Veronica, thought of this one. This is definitely my least favorite of the series so far. The attempt to kill the fire was good enough action though; it gave something more adrenaline worthy compared to the usual day-to-day life of the ranch.

However, I had problems with how the two men dealt with their issues. Those were serious things -- and kept it inside was not healthy. I guess I was over with the whole "I don't want to talk about th
K
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
first read Oct 2013
re-reading June 2015 bwfore book 5

This story is set 5 years after the end of the previous book and introduces Thorne, a former commando who is working as a volunteer firefighter in the bush land around Lang Downs. Sent to warn the those living and working at the sheep station he meets Ian, who has been living on the spread for the last 15 years and is something of a loner.

Both men are shaped by their pasts - in Thorne's case loosing his family at 18 followed by the harrows of
Candice
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Once again, I was hoping for more from Thorne and Ian. I really liked them, but I think I needed a little something extra. I get that Ian was a loner, but WHY did he choose to latch onto Thorne? I think I would have liked this better if some of the middle was cut and more of the relationship... after.

There's at least one more in this series Cherish the Land and I am kind of hoping it's NOT about Seth and Jason (why can't they just be best friends?), because I don't like young couples, but I'll
NancyM
Hmmm...I didn't like this one as much as the previous ones. While I did feel for what the MCs were going through, I just didn't connect with them.
Gaa-chan
3.5 stars. I'm a huge fan of this series, but I need to agree with Veronica/V. I really liked Thorne though, and Ian wasn't bad either, but it's just so hard to believe they sought help so late.
Michela biasca
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
QUSTTRO E MEZZO E FORSE IL CAPITOLO PIU' SOFFERTO DELLA SERIE...
Brandielle
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Liked this one the best so far.
Lena Grey
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We can't run away from our fears. They follow us wherever we go and if we try to ignore them, they continue to gain strength and, if we're not careful, will strangle us. Sharing our fears helps drain their power away, but, it takes real courage to admit we need that kind of help and even more to seek it. Thorne Lachlan of 'Conquering the Flame' is plagued by PTSD from past battle experiences. Before he comes to Lang Downs, he tries, unsuccessfully, to manage it by himself. After becoming emotion ...more
Shasta Mosley /Cherry0Blossom
I have always been told “Never judge a book by its cover”; Conquer The Flames by Ariel Tachna is one of those books. One thing I will say up front is that this is the first time I am reading an m/m romance book, so please bear with me on this review because it is all brand new to me. Now I also want to point out is this book is part of a series, but can actually be a good standalone book too. It was a little slow on the uptake when reading, but to me there is actually a message to the book.

In Co
Susu
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Let me start off by saying that I enjoyed the other books in this series and was excited about reading this book, with that being said... I think I almost died from an overdose of angst in this book. I was so over both characters less than half way through. It was hard for me to buy that both men were in their mid to late 30's not their teens.

I could sum up the book pretty quickly:

Bad stuff happens to both MC's in their past.

MC 1: I don't deserve love, but I love you. I want to know everything a
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

Story 4.5 Stars
Narration 3 Stars

This was quite a hard book to read in some places and it is also quite difficult to write a lengthy review without giving too much away. With that in mind I will give you the bare bones and let you all read it for yourselves to discover the full story.

Thorne Lachlan was a Commando and used to working under pressure and in dangerous spots around the world. He is now working for the Royal Fire Service and helping put out grass fires t
Sandra
This book is all about Thorne Lachlan, a former Australian Commando (Special Ops, I presume) soldier now serving as a firefighter in the Australian Outback, and Ian Duncan, a year-rounder on Lang Downs, who keeps mostly to himself.

Read the rest of this review on www.myfictionnook.com or my Booklikes blog.
Mirka
I read some reviews before starting this book so I was a little bit afraid I would get bored but that never happened...the "getting to know each other" phase was not a phase in this book...it was the whole story and I loved it...I don't know, it just worked for me, both of the guys were so sweet and even though there was no sex, the feelings were very strong and I just loved it :)
Lillian Francis
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Lang Downs always gives me a satisfying read and a great bunch of characters, like meeting up with old friends. I can't believe that is the final book, though.

Dee Wy
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really liked this pairing of rancher and ex-soldier turned fire-fighter. I'll miss all the characters at the sheep station. Enjoyed the whole series.
Donna
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0-lgbtq-read
Even though it was nice to catch up with everyone at Lang Downs, for some reason this book seemed to drag... a lot! That having been said, this was a good story that I would say touched many hearts and I am pretty sure many of the readers were silently (and maybe not so silently) encouraging Thorne and Ian to push through all that they had suffered and find their way clear to be with each other. Existing is not living, and that was a hard realization that they both had to come to before they cou ...more
Ricardo
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Wasn’t nearly as good as the other ones. It felt like a lazy story, the same thing that had happened in previous instalments happened again, except with different characters and a few small changes. It’s not a bad book but it’s not the author’s best
Teeny
The fact that while listening to this audiobook it didn't ring any bells that I had read it already, except than a sense of generic deja-vu at certain points should tell you something about how just simply okay the story was than any kind of engaging and listening to it didn't change much.
Annika
Audiobook review

3,5 stars

There is a new threat to Lang Downs. A wild fire. It's roaming just outside the station limits, coming closer and closer for every hour that passes.

Thorne Lachlan has been fighting the fire for weeks in hopes of getting it under control. When his captain orders him to go to the nearest station, Lang Downs he is very reluctant to go, feeling he is more needed at the front lines. He does not want to argue with stations owners for help to fight the fire. Against all hopes
multitaskingmomma
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Original Blogspot: http://headouttheoven.blogspot.com/20...

Ariel Tachna has managed to get a simple Aussie cowboy story into something like a chronicle of Lang Downs. I have been following this series since it first came out and although I only did manage to review Outlast the Night, I have to say that the more I follow this series, the more interesting it gets. However, of all of the books, I would say that Conquer the Flames is the one with the most sensitive subject matters (yes, two not just
GayListBookReviews
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was a fantastic addition to the Lang Downs series.  Ms. Tachna takes you back to the sheep station in Australia several years after the first Lang Downs story. The men of Lang Downs were still just as compelling. They were a large family of farmers and ranchers who didn’t quite fit in anywhere else. In the series you see the importance of love, acceptance, and hard work. But most of all, it was all about accepting who you are and finding peace in who you learn to love.

Thorne is a broke
Bo
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fire Never Goes Out

A 20-year-veteran of Australia's special forces (Commandos), Thorne Lachlan now works as a professional fire fighter in the bush country where he is assigned the task of organizing the crew and residents of Lang Downs into a cohesive unit to confront the wall of fire heading their way.

Ian Duncan has been a jackaroo on Lang Downs for fifteen years and is right under the foreman Neil in seniority and experience, but what's more is one of the only ones left on the farm withou
Inked Reads
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
FiveStars
This is the most exciting story in the series, with the men at Lang Downs working with the fire service to stop a bush fire from destroying Lang Downs.

The story focuses on Thorne, a volunteer firefighter just out of the army who is struggling with PTSD. It is also - finally - the story of Ian, the reclusive buckaroo still coming to terms with a brutal, abusive childhood.

Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing

For the first time, even Caine and Macklin worry that the sanctuary of Lang Downs may not be enough to help Thorne and Ian hea
Chris Jeffreys
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Ian and Thorne. That's the newest couple at Lang Downs in Ariel Tachma's newest novel about life at a sheep ranch in the Australian outback. All of the original characters from the Lang Downs series are in this book, although their roles are greatly reduced (and that is not a good thing).

Here is a thumbnail summary of this book. Thorne is a firefighter who is fighting a grassland fire that is sweeping across the outback. He is called upon to defend Lang Downs from the approaching flames. When h
Don Bradshaw
This latest visit to Lang Downs was simply incredible. Ms Tachna concentrated much of the story on Ian and Thorne, two badly damaged individuals from completely different backgrounds. Ian has been living on the station for years getting along with everyone and doing his job yet he was a bit of an enigma. Wildfires due to an extra dry summer brought Thorne onto the scene as a fire fighter and liaison to Lang Downs. Retired from a life in the Commandos, Australia's elite fighting force, Thorne is ...more

• A Volatile Range (Range, #6)
  • Love, Like Water
  • Equilibrium (Equilibrium, #1)
  • Floods and Drought (Clouds & Rain, #3)
  • Complete Faith (Morning Report, #2)
  • The Law of Desire (Encounters, #1)
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
  • Marathon Cowboys
  • The Terms of Release (The Release #1)
  • My Only Sunshine
  • Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)
  • Long Tall Drink
  • Wishing for a Home (Home, #3)
  • Cowboy Waltz (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana related)
Ariel Tachna lives outside of Houston with her husband, her daughter and son, and their cat. Before moving there, she traveled all over the world, having fallen in love with both France, where she found her husband, and India, where she dreams of retiring some day. She’s bilingual with snippets of four other languages to her credit, and is as in love with languages as she is with writing.

Visit Ar

Lang Downs (5 books)
  • Inherit the Sky (Lang Downs, #1)
  • Chase the Stars (Lang Downs, #2)
  • Outlast the Night (Lang Downs #3)
  • Cherish the Land (Lang Downs #5)