Start by marking “The Most Magnificent Thing” as Want to Read:
The Most Magnificent Thing

The Most Magnificent Thing

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  5,165 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews
Award-winning author and illustrator Ashley Spires has created a charming picture book about an unnamed girl and her very best friend, who happens to be a dog. The girl has a wonderful idea. She is going to make the most MAGNIFICENT thing! She knows just how it will look. She knows just how it will work. All she has to do is make it, and she makes things all the time. Easy ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by Kids Can Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Magnificent Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Magnificent Thing

·  5,165 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews

Mischenko
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this full review, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires is a children's book about a girl with an imagination and teaches about the importance of never giving up on yourself.

A girl has a vision of creating something magnificent. She starts building things with her little dog assistant. As she builds one thing after another, she isn't happy with any of her new creations. They just didn't come out like she imagined they would. Disgusted, she wa
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
The Most Magnificent Thing happened to me: my wish came true and I was approved for this little gem.

This is the short story of a little girl and her canine companion/assistant, as she sets out to make the most magnificent thing in the world.

description

But as much as she tries, nothing really turns out the way she wants it to. So her frustration builds up, until one small incident makes her explode. The one who comes to her aid is her assistant. The dog suggests a walk and the little girl relaxes. Also, she
Fran
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A girl envisioned building a most magnificent thing. Aided by her dog assistant, she expected her project to be easy to build. Making countless attempts to create her working model, she came up empty each time. Frustration crept in setting off a temper tantrum. She had failed in her attempt to create her invention and she quit. Her dog insistently requests a walk, thus enabling her to return recharged and ready to try again with renewed interest.

"The Most Magnificent Thing" reminds me of the pro
[Shai] Bibliophage
The Most Magnificent Thing, written and illustrated by Ashley Spires, is a charming tale of a girl and her dog-assistant who tries to make something; but she was never contented on the outcome of all the things they have built. Afterward, she became frustrated and was enraged. This story shows that kids nowadays are prone to be more serious, goal-oriented, or competitive; it's not bad but usually they are living in stress.

Because they didn't achieve what they want or the expectations on them wer
Betsy
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I was at a conference of math enthusiasts the other day to discuss kids and the state of math related children’s books. Not my usual scene but I was open to it. Despite what some might fear, the day was thoroughly fascinating and the mathematicians in attendance made many fine and salient points that I had never thought to consider. At one point they took it upon themselves to correct some common math-related misunderstandings that have grown over the years. Most fascinating was the idea of tria ...more
Hirdesh
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks for Netgalley ad respective publishers.

Quite enthusiastic and creative children-picture book.
A small girl wanted to make a THING, for them-(with her dog).
After failing twice and thrice, went to quit for creating.
But at last, Got inspiration, She has made THE MOST MAGNIFICENT THING.
I loved it.
Marie
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, netgalley
Wow!! What an amazing book with a beautiful, truly insightful message for young children! I just loved it through and through!! It is the story of a little girl who wishes to create “the most magnificent thing.” Despite all her efforts it does not come out as planned. She is frustrated and upset, but is able to calm herself down with a walk. When she returns to look at her work, she slowly realizes the goodness and rightness in pieces of what she has created and is able to work with that to achi ...more
MissBecka
Thank you NetGalley and Kids Can Press for granting my wish!

Oh.My.Gosh. This book was MAGNIFICENT!!!
This is an adorable tale of a young girl, her bff/dog/assistant and the making of their creation or the most magnificent thing.
The pictures are wonderful and the two main characters are so freaking cute!!!
I loved all the play on words throughout the book, super fun story to read!!!
I can't wait to share this with the tiny humans in my life.
Philip
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
4.5ish stars.

Have you ever known or had a child who was kind of a perfectionist? They'll draw a picture, but get frustrated and cry and crumple it up because it's just not turning out how it's supposed to. Sometimes that's followed up with a "will you just do it for me?!" All the while, you're assuring them that it looks BEAUTIFUL, you LOVE it!

Life is tough when you're a kid! Life can also be tough as a parent or an educator to kids. On the one hand, you want your kids to work hard and figure th
Shamekia
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
How do I love this book? Let me count the ways:

1. I love that the main character is a girl with dark hair and w/o a name, so girls reading it can put themselves in the story.

2. I love that this girl is just a girl-not a princess, fairy, or cupcake frosting queen of the skies.

3. I love that her assistant is a dog, but is never referred to as a dog, or pet.

4. I ADORE the great vocabulary, with the use of verbs like 'pondered', 'wondered' and 'tinkered'.

5. I love the illustrations, they are adorabl
Liz* Fashionably Late

This is the story of a little girl who wants to build the most magnificent thing with the help of her lovely assistant. These two do everything together:

"They eat. They explore. They relax."

After a few tries, she realizes it was harder than she expected. She tinkers and hammers and measures, she smoothes and wrenches and fiddles, she twists and tweaks and fastens but she just can't get it right.

Frustration comes and she wants to quit but her little canine friend helps her to see that some of th
Amina
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is magnificiant, and the message it sends is more than magnificient. I loved what's mentionned in the first illustration, the fact that you're already a special person with lots hidden inside, all you have to do (hardest part) is reach out and pull it:

description

It is about never quitting, and the fact that it is OK to get frustrated from time to time

description

and take a little break,

description

alowing us to look back and realise that all those experieces we consider as "failures" are the little pieces that will mak
Heena Rathore P.
Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Most Magnificient Thing is indeed the most magnificent thing I've read in the last few months. This book is utterly adorable and so cutesy that you'll fall in love with this book as soon as you'll open it. It has a unique feel good factor that really touches the heart as you follow this cute "regular girl" on her journey to create the most MAGNIFICIENT thing.

description

The illustrations are simply be
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 4.5 Stars *****

The illustrations in The Most Magnificent Thing is absolutely delightful. It teaches kids to take risks, to make mistakes, and to not give up.

This book is truly wonderful and precious. I highly recommend this for young children.

description description description description

La Coccinelle
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I read a number of Ashley Spires's books the other day and quite enjoyed most of them. This was the only one that wasn't immediately available at the library, so I had to wait. I'm glad I did, though, because it's probably my favourite of her books that I've read so far.

This story will be relatable to anyone who's ever done anything creative. Whether it's drawing, writing, or building an invention, sometimes it just doesn't turn out the way you envisioned it in your head. The Most Magnificent Th
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. It has a really good story and a really good message for young kids. I have always been a perfectionist when it comes to certain things. When I was younger, I would throw away so many artistic things because they weren't perfect and eventually I gave up art because I thought I wasn't "good enough". It is a pity because now that I am older, I realise you don't have to be perfect, especially when it comes to being artistic and creative. Who cares if my painting isn't perfe ...more
Shoa Khan
This is the story of an unnamed girl and her best friend in the whole wide world.

One day the girl decides to make the most magnificent thing, and with this announcement, her canine best friend assumes the role and responsibility of her assistant.

This book was so different in every aspect from the other picture books that I've read. Right from the story to the words used (I think it'd be more suitable for slightly older readers).

I thought the girl and her ridiculously adorable best friend made a
Mauoijenn
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
*NetGalley book review*

Excellent children's book. My son enjoyed this one very much. With the anticipation growing through out the book as to what the girl will be making. He loved the ending, but kept asking me what her name was, so we named her ourselves. Very cute story.
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
The Most Magnificent Thing written and illustrated by Ashley Spires. Edited by Yasemin Ucar. Kids Can Press. Children's Fiction. ©2014. 5 Stars. An early grade picture book about a girl’s struggles to make something magnificent, and her many attempts and frustrations along the way until she achieves success. Illustrations are wonderful and the message is great. Highly recommend! Thanks to NetGalley and Kids Can press for providing this ebook for review.
Kate
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

A cute and fun book about a little girl and her assistant (dog) who dreams of a magnificent contraption she wants to build, she goes through multiple iterations, struggling to get it quite right and ends up getting frustrated. Through persevering, she finds that each of her earlier models had something beneficial and she learned and adapted to make her magnificent thing.
Donalyn
Captures the messiness, frustration & persistence needed to create. The perfect book to share with budding inventors, writers, & artists.
Lydia
Well, this was just totally delightful.

I love seeing little girls in STEM (or STEAM) and would totally purchase this for my classroom. This is about a little girl who sets out to make the most MAGNIFICENT thing. And it has such lovely illustrations but also very good 'sciencey' verbs for the little person in your life.

I like that it really showed the scientific process -- first we had diagrams, then many prototypes until finally, finally, after a lot of hard work, we came onto the most magnific
Magpie67
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A girl with a brain to invent and her side kick dog. Girl invents things and chooses to invent the most magnificent thing, but problems occur, as they will in most creations. She gets frustrated and takes a walk... comes back and rethinks her situation and creates again.

Creative minds and those who have the need to create will find they make many prototypes before the real thing is unveiled. A great book for children to learn and except these challenges, not as defeats but as the beginnings of
Hilary
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it

How refreshing! We see a girl trying over and over to build something that she envisions as Most Magnificent, her frustration in not getting it right, the dog-suggested walk to clear her head... and finally, the triumphant success.

The illustrations are just perfect, and her assistant does a wonderful - and appropriate - job!

A great book to read with children to show perseverance, emotional control and even the scientific method!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchan
Sara M. Abudahab
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
a cute read for the little ones.
Bea
One day, a young girl decides to invent something; she draws plans and gathers supplies, ready to create the MOST MAGNIFICENT THING. But her first attempt fails, she goes through multiple iterations, and finally gets so frustrated that she gives up. But her assistant, aka her dog, takes her for a walk and on that walk, she calms down and starts thinking about her projects and her failures in a more positive light. She tries one more time and this time she gets it just right.

Using repetition and
Elaine Mullane
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, childrens-books
"Bit by bit, the mad gets pushed out of her head."

Oh, I adored this little book! I loved following the adventures of this inventive, curious little girl; a sweet and unique perfectionist who can get annoyed and frustrated like the best of us!

The illustrations in this book are wonderful; unlike anything I've really seen before. I love how the splashes of colour stand out against the monochrome backdrop of the cityscape. The characters are adorable, especially the little girl and her "assistant".

A
Jolene
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
**Thank you Kids Can Press and Netgalley for providing this title in exchange for an honest review**

3.5 Stars

This is the story of a little girl who wants to make the most magnificent thing. She knows exactly what its supposed to do and what it should look like. The only problem is, try as she might, she just can't get it right.

This book promotes two very good lessons. The first is don't give up. Even though your first few attempts might be all wrong, you will succeed eventually. The little girl
Martha
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another book I received through NetGalley to share with our 4 year old granddaughter. As soon as I opened the book on the computer she exclaimed: "We have this book at school!"

This tells the story of a little girl who likes to invent things. Her little dog is her companion/assistant. She works and works but her attempts don't achieve what she wants. Then she gets frustrated and angry. But she returns to the project and produces something that is magnificent for her situation.

I was a lit
Miranda
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved how this shows not to give up on a project! Sometimes kids often feel frustrated and want to give up but this shows them that hey if I take a step back it could become something. It’s a great little message in th story and I was quite thrilled to be apart of reading it. The art was quirky cute, some word will need a bit of help for th younger reader but it’s great.

• Going Places
  • My Pen
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • The Invisible Boy
  • Brimsby's Hats
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • Extraordinary Jane
  • The Man with the Violin
  • Flight School (Flight School, #1)
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer
  • Mister Bud Wears the Cone
  • Ninja!
  • Louise Loves Art
  • Gravity
  • Little Elliot, Big City (Little Elliot, #1)
  • How to Read a Story
  • A Perfectly Messed-Up Story
  • Queen Victoria's Bathing Machine
Ashley has written and illustrated many books, most notably the bestselling The Most Magnificent Thing, which is now a short animated film. She creates books that remind kids that making mistakes is integral to learning. She lives in British Columbia with her husband, her dog and a growing army of felines.