Start by marking “H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)” as Want to Read:
H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)

H.M.S. Unseen

(Admiral Arnold Morgan #3)

The H.M.S. Unseen is one of the most efficient, lethal submarines ever built. But suddenly, on a training mission off the English coast, it vanishes, baffling military intelligence on both sides of the Atlantic, including National Security Adviser Admiral Arnold Morgan. A missing weapon is dangerous enough. But then the unthinkable begins to happen....Planes begin blowing ...more
Published April 7th 1999 by Harper

David
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Robinson is a master at creating a frightening and compelling plot. He excels at describing naval operations and military hardware and technology. However, in the midst of a fast-paced thriller he begins to suffer as he moves towards a conclusion. As in the first novel ,Nimitz, he begins to stumble forward like a runner who trips and runs forward without really regaining his balance.

Robinson also slips into silly and ignorant ideas as he writes. For example, he has his villain address a high ra
Ravi Rao
Dec 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh ! What a book. Dont read it. Here's why:
The cover picture tells you that this book has a plot that involves shooting down planes using missiles from a submarine (so thats not a spoiler). It starts off very promisingly, with an Iraqi agent who is to be murdered per Saddam's orders, escapes and then, makes a plan to extract revenge. From then, the plot descends to earth as rapidly as a shot-down passenger liner. As far as spy thriller writers go, Robinson is NOT John Le Carre. The plot is inc
Michal Angelo
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-recommend
* The follow-on to Patrick Robinson's Kilo Class, this book is not for everyone as it requires of the reader a certain understanding of maritime terms and world navigation. That said, Unseen will take you on a head-spinning international tour with an explosive climax.
* Follow the Morgan series into #4, U.S.S. Seawolf
Robert Gross
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would say 3.5 stars. Better than 3, not deserving of 4.

This is my second Patrick Robinson book, and while I enjoyed it and recommend it, it does get tend to get even more political than most military writers. Also, both Robinson books I've finished seem like they wrap up too fast. It's like he reaches a max limit of pages from his editor and just wraps it up.

Still, overall, a solid read. Arnold Morgan is quite entertaining.
George
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Probably best to suspend your critical faculties and just enjoy the ride in Patrick Robinson's books. it requires of the reader a certain understanding of maritime terms and world navigation. The plot proves, just as did the 60s movie, "The Mouse that Roared", that the best thing to do is to go to war with the US. Then, they'll make up nicely. Cdr Ben Adnan does exactly that in this submarine spy thriller. The plot is a little bit light on the characters, except Adnan. Could it happen? Maybe.
Charles Dingman
OK, the unabridged version is a better experience than the abridged versions of the previous 2 books in this series, but still not giving human dimensions to any of the characters. The story arc seems to be an especially bloody long con, and our country just the last one deceived.
Steve
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An excellent novel about modern naval warfare. The antagonist from the first novel in the series reappears and causes a great deal fo drama for Morgan and the US and the UK.
Brian
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive, listen
The third in this series and perhaps the best. Very intricate storyline that is also plausible. I very much enjoyed the author interview at the end of the audiobook as well, some good insights.
Tim Buck
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Very exciting story; thoroughly enjoyed it!
MMc14
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story overall.

I was a little disappointed that some of the main characters did not seem as shrewd or questioning of 'obvious' facts as in the previous books.
Richard Forshaw
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable tale. A little dated now but still a very good read if you like a techno thriller without being overly techno. looking forward to reading more of Patrick Robinson's work.
Marty
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun thriller with a lot of surprise and great characters.
Neil
This is the third fictional book written by Patrick Robinson. I see on Goodreads it is indicated as being a part of a series called 'Admiral Arnold Morgan'; it is a nice indicator, I suppose, for this batch of books. I thought it had a good plot and flowed well, overall. It did not grip me quite as much the second time around reading it; I think I mixed parts of this storyline up with Scimitar SL-2 when I started reading this again. This book focused more on the villain, per se, than it did the ...more
JBradford
if you liked Tom Clancy’s Hunt for Red October, you’ll probably like this book as well … and if Robinson’s writing career develops as well as Clancy’s did, we will all be well off. I found this book slightly more pedantic than Clancy’s style, but it’s a good story and it is told well.

The gist of the plot is that an Iraqi spy, Commander Ben Adnam, discovers that the Iraqi president, who is very morning had awarded Adnam the Iraqi medal of honor in recognition of his years of espionage as an Israe
Jacqui
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
I almost didn't read the book because of the corny name for the submarine. I'm glad I persevered. Excellent story of an imaginative plot to retrofit a submarine so it can knock high-flying aircraft from the sky. By the time the renovated HMS Unseen downed it's third--and that the Concorde, I wished the F-15 Eagle was out of mothballs and trolling the LEO skies above me. A nuclear sub has never been hijacked, but Robinson makes it believable thanks to the level of detail he includes. He also adds ...more
Cynthia
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very much enjoying this series. One point, however: I find it hard to believe that the general public would be so dense as to not even think that the sinking of a nuclear aircraft carrier and then a few years later the downing of THREE aircraft were not accidents! PLEASE!!! And one other thing: I find it unusual and a little freaky that the first three books in this series were written in the late 1990s, but the author chose to write them as occurring in the 2000s. If 9/11 had not taken pla ...more
Frederick Bingham
This is another of a series. I read Kilo Class earlier. Ben Adnam is an Iraqi terrorist and submarine captain. He defects to Iran, and steals a diesel-electric sub from the British Navy. He has the sub fitted with a surface-to-air missile system and uses it to shoot down the Concorde and two other airplanes over the North Atlantic. Arnold Morgan is the US National Security Adviser trying to catch Adnam and the submarine.The reader is George Guidall. He does pretty well at catching all the variou ...more
Henri Moreaux
To enjoy this book you really need to suspend your critical thinking ability and take it as it is, else you will find yourself wondering why on earth the characters don't do this, or do that.

However, looking past such flaws, it is an interesting and thrilling read that technology wise is within the realm of possibility even if the plot line was a little fanciful.

All in all an enjoyable and sturdy addition to the Patrick Robinson Admiral Morgan series.
Memo
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book - helped that I was working for the head of the submarine service at the time of reading and actually know who some of the characters are based on - shocking to think that by the time this was released, concorde was no longer flying! I also thought it to be a security risk that the British Navy really do allow foreign nationals to do the 'perisher' course. Makes Hunt for Red October seem like a stroll round the fishpond!
Barry
Oct 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Probably not
This book was well written and easy to follow. Definitely entertaining, it is worth the time to read. Unfortunately, the back cover was a real turn off because of all the cliche's. I only gave it a chance in the interests of broadening my literary experiences. I'm glad I did. It's far from great but it served it's purpose.
Pete
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
The first half of this novel is almost as good as the "Nimitz" and "Kilo" novels of the series. The last half of the story sails adrift however as Robinson for some unknown reason undermines the excellent character development he had earlier established for the Ben Adnan character. Worth reading but it had the potential to be much better.
Ron
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a perfect thriller book for a plane. I started reading this when I started on my trip to CO to go skiing, I was 4/5 through it when I finally got there. I couldn't put it down. If you love fiction about terrorists, submarines and grizzly cigar chomping military leaders keeping the USA safe, this is the book for you.
Tinger
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had promise as a techno-thriller with a clever plot. But it became increasingly unrealistic and unlikely as you read. The latter part of the book is flat-out so silly, it made me wish I had not bothered to get into it in the first place. 2 stars for some interesting scenes and action sequences, but as a whole, it was not a satisfying read.
Chris
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-fiction
It was okay. a good follow in for the original story, but a little to narrow in scope for my liking.
i should think this book will be enjoyed by a lot of people but i found it hard to stay attatched in this instance.
David
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this was published in 2000, I am going to guess I picked it up in an airport or bookstore for travel shortly thereafter. So best guess on first read, in paperback, is May 2000.
2nd read - in Kindle from library - 2016-01-25
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"Submarine expert terrorist steals a British sub and knocks Concords and other transatlantic planes from the sky. Direct sequel to Nimitz Class. Better balance between military and other spheres than his other books."
Nathan
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes military fiction.
Shelves: fiction, military
HMS Unseen is another masterpiece for Patrick Robinson! From start to finish, it is a great read, and I think it is a must read for anyone who enjoys reading about the military, or military-style fiction. This one took me a while longer to finish, simply because I had more to do in the meantime. ;)
Bill Donhiser
A brilliantly written Naval technothriller. It rates right up there withe the best of Tom Clancy and Dale Brown. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Linda Amos
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction to this author. Can.t wait to read more.
Tom
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling thriller. And, you ay ask, can I read anymore submarine thrillers? Why yes, yes I can. I have 3 more of these on my stack of books to read.

• Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Terminal Run
  • Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team, #1)
  • Against All Enemies (Nathan Dixon, #2)
  • Invasion
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)