Start by marking “The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street

(The Penderwicks #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  16,967 ratings  ·  1,658 reviews
7 Hours and 41 Minutes

With over one million copies sold, this series of modern classics about the charming Penderwick family from National Book Award winner and New York Times bestseller Jeanne Birdsall is perfect for fans of Noel Streatfeild and Edward Eager.

The Penderwick sisters are home on Gardam Street and ready for an adventure! But the adventure they get isn’t quite
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published April 22nd 2008 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published April 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, please sign up.
Hannah gauruder I asked my mom the same question.She said it took place in the 2000's.
Sometimes Mrs.Birdsall made it seem a little less present, though.

·  16,967 ratings  ·  1,658 reviews

m a r y l i z
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
// Re-Read March 2018 //

What words can describe my adoration for this series and its characters? Reading a Penderwicks book is like a receiving a warm hug on a chilly day or like remembering a fond memory from your childhood.

It's blissful nostalgia & the joy of childhood.

I will never, ever stop coming back to the Penderwicks whenever I'm in need of a comfortable, cozy, & delightful read. <3

(And just so you know, my future kids will be read this series MANY times. *grins*)

/ / /

Can I j
Betsy
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't exactly remember what it was that kept me from reading The Penderwicks of Gardam Street the minute it came out on bookstore and library shelves. As a children's librarian I certainly enjoyed Ms. Birdsall's previous title, The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy, which garnered itself a bright and shiny National Book Award. Then there was all that talk about a resurgence of "old-fashioned" children's books and how Penderwicks marked a nosta ...more
Kathryn
The sequel to "The Penderwicks" earns four stars (where the first earned five) because I do feel that some of the "magic" of the first book (with Arundel and Jeffrey, Cagney and the bunnies, and summertime—that enchanted, timeless setting) was lost by having the girls return to school and "normal life." However, I still enjoyed the book and very much appreciate the fact that Birdsall was able to keep the charm and sweetness of the family alive even by putting them back in the real world (though ...more
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
The Penderwicks at Gardam Street is a really solid follow up to The Penderwicks. I love the relationship between the four sisters and I always look forward to the MOOPS meetings they hold. This installment was particularly funny because Mr. Penderwick's sister has decided that it's time for him to start dating again but the girls, not feeling ready yet, get themselves involved and humor ensues. I think I actually enjoyed this second book just a *smidge* more than book one but it's hard to gauge ...more
Joey T
Wow! She did it again. Jeane Birdsall has successfully swept me away... twice. Witty, interesting, powerful. A story of true friendship and family values. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I have very high hopes for this series. All ages! Completely appropriate.
Happy reading!
Debbie
May 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-books
I liked The Penderwicks so much that I was worried that the sequel couldn't be as good. But it was good! These books are like Little Women but younger and more modern. There's still an old-fashioned feel about them, though, which I think is partly because things like phones and TVs and computers remain in the background.

If I just read a summary of the books, I wouldn't think they seemed interesting, but there's something irresistible about them once you start reading. Maybe it's the characters.
Linda Hart
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading the adventures of the Penderwick family is like a breath of fresh air. This sequel missed some of the adventure of the first story but was nonetheless enjoyable and and a great family or middleschool book.
Brigid ✩
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was cute! It was a little slower and more predictable than the first one, but it was still a fun read. And I love the Penderwick sisters and the bond they share. I look forward to reading the next one!
Ann
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes good, heartwarming character stories
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Birdsall manages, yet again, to write a charming, timeless tale about family, honesty, friendship, and love.
The four Penderwick sisters each have their own plots and arcs throughout the book, but must always come together to deal with the main plot of this sequel - that their father has started to date (which, I think it's only fair to point out that the dating is not the father's idea. He is, in fact, quite reluctant, and it is only because of a letter that his wife wrote for him before her dea
Shannon
Read along with Zahara.

I pretty much love this family and all of their adventures. I'm sad that there's only one more book left. I hope it's not a trilogy and she's still writing.

Review to come.

ETA: Just found this on her site:

Are you writing more books about the Penderwicks?
There are now three published Penderwick books, and I’m working on the fourth, which will come out in 2014. The fifth Penderwick book will be the last.

Well, I'm glad there will be two more but will still be sad to see them
Morgan
Such a fun, cute book. It definitely has the same sort of feel as Elizabeth Enright and Eleanor Estes, which reminds me of childhood. Love these characters. And totally called the ending. I especially enjoyed the whole "Marianne" thing. XD Highly recommended.
Kaethe Douglas
I like the retro feel of the Penderwicks books, the idyllic life they lead. Plus, there are endless book references, especially in this one.

***

I think the Penderwicks will be classics when the Offspring are grown. Both girls and I get so caught up in their adventures, which aren't all that adventurous, by comparison with most of the fantasy we've read. Somehow Birdsall manages to make the little things like baking a cake, practicing soccer, or picking out a Halloween costume, every bit as import
C.B. Cook
Man, how can I explain my love for the Penderwick books??? Batty is adorable, Rosalind is intriguing, and Skye and Jane are... pure awesomeness. These books are middle grade, but I love them more than most YA books I've read - the sweet innocence, the mystery, and most of all, the crazy schemes and situations these girls get in. How I adore them! I'd recommend them to everyone look for a cute, clean, and hilarious read. :D This one, specifically? I love Ben (Duck!) and I adore the relationship b ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I love the Penderwick books! The ending here is a bit obvious, but it doesn't really matter, b/c getting there is so fun and delightful. Wonderful writing, delicious characters! I love it all!
Aria
And this was just as good as the first. I absolutely loved it! Also the last bit with Bug Man was HILARIOUS. XD
Leona  Carstairs
4.5 stars 💖 OMG THESE BOOKS MAKE ME SO HAPPY. BIRDSALL YOU GENIUS, YOU ABSOLUTE WIZARD. YOU'VE CAUSED MY FACE TO RIP APART FROM ALL THE SMILES.
Ellen
While I didn't quite like this as much as the first one, I still loved it. I missed Jeffrey. And Tommy just didn't replace him. Hopefully, Jeffrey will be in later books. Anyways, this book is still excellent with many gem moments such as Skye's before-game rituals, Jane's play and just Batty in general.

2019 challenge: a book about a family
Emma
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give books 1000 stars
Susan Mortimer
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis-565
I didn't think anything could be more delightful than The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy," but I was proved wrong by the second installment (in a to-be five-part series),"The Penderwicks on Gardam Street."

This book continues where the first left off, though it can be enjoyed thouroughly as a stand-alone. The four Penderwick sisters (ages 4-12) are embroilled in a plot to save their widowed daddy from re-marriage, and while doing so they conti
Ginnie
2019 review:
Still funny, and great!

2018 review:
When a sequel is better than the first, thats amazing. Thank you Ms. Birdsall for writing a new classic. I love the Penderwicks. Can't wait to start the next book!
Maddy Smith
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fab read
Iris
Pretty unrealistic, but SO MUCH FUN. And the NOSTALGIA! RTC.
Paul
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, favorites, kiddos
This is one of the best children's book series ever written. Full-stop. Gardam Street is even better than the debut – smart, funny, touching, exciting. You can't read one of these books and not ache with longing to be part of the Penderwick family.
Lilian
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HEARTILY APPROVE OF THIS SHIP.
Lindsey
Still charming. I still really like the writing. I just didn’t enjoy the story as much in this one.
Maya
this was a reread for probably the 100th time but i forget how happy this book makes me.
i have been sick, and sometimes you're so sick that you can't watch tv or read a physical book without getting a bad headache, so i turned on this bc i knew it always makes me feel a little less bad. and it didn't fail this time, just as i knew it wouldn't. i don't think i'll ever get too old for these, the writing is so good that it sort of transcends the boundaries of children/teen/adult. it's just good, a
steph
April 2018 Review: On this re-read I wasn't as enamared as I was previously (I remembered LOVING this book) but it was still good. I love reading about the siblings and their antics.

March 2015 review:I read the first three books in a span of three days and I have to say, this one is my absolute favorite of the three. I love how it took place at home so we got to see more of the girls and their father in their natural habit. From the two brothers across the street to the next lady with the baby
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Cana Rensberger for TeensReadToo.com

Rosalind has been a fine mother to her sisters Jane, Skye, and Batty for four years, ever since their mother died. So when her Aunt Claire visits with a blue letter for her father, written by her mother, Rosalind can't chase away the sense of foreboding.

When she finds out that her mother's letter suggests her dad start dating again, Rosalind quickly calls the sisters together for an emergency MOPS - a Meeting of Penderwick Sisters. Together they h
Sophie
So… *coughs*.
You know these books that give you nice warm feeling, make your day brighter and just generally pull out of the abyss of bad mood and feelings? “The Penderwicks on Gardam Street” by Jeanne Birdsall is exactly that kind of book. It's a sweet story about four sisters: Rosalind, Skye, Jane, Batty, their dad and big black dog, named… Well, Dog. Their mom died, when the youngest girl, Batty, was born. Before Elizabeth died, she decided that girls’ dad should date someone else when girls
Miriam
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger
Birdsall's first book, The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy, had a timeless and innocent charm. Reminiscent of many childrens' books from the earlier, it could have been set at any point in the past century. Although the summer adventures of the four sister and their friend and dog had serious elements (eg Jeffrey's miserable home life) and were sometimes dangerous (eg the bull) they were truly child-like and carefree.

The second installment open
The Penderwicks Rock!!!!!!! 18 82 Oct 01, 2014 11:06AM

• Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5)
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Penny Dreadful
  • The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #3)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • The Willoughbys
  • Lucky Breaks (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #2)
  • Stumptown Kid
  • One Year in Coal Harbor (Coal Harbour #2)
Jeanne Birdsall grew up in the suburbs west of Philadelphia, where she attended wonderful public schools. Jeanne had lots of great teachers, but her favorites were: Mrs. Corkhill, sixth grade, who encouraged her intellectual curiosity; Mr. Tremonte, eighth grade algebra, who taught Jeanne to love and respect math; and Miss Basehore, second and fourth year Latin, to whom Jeanne (and Mr. Penderwick) ...more

The Penderwicks (5 books)
  • The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • The Penderwicks in Spring (The Penderwicks, #4)
  • The Penderwicks at Last (The Penderwicks, #5)
“...even a tiny bit of deceit is dishonorable when it's used for selfish or cowardly reasons.

- Mr. Penderwick”
369 likes
“Jane,' she said, climbing down from the chair. 'Remember last year when I built that model wind tower for you and you wrote those poems for me?'

And you said you'd never switch homework assignments with me again.'

For good reason. My teacher had a hard time believing I wrote Tra-la the joy of tulips blooming, Ha-ha the thrill of bumblebees zooming. I'm alive and I dance, I'm alive though death is always looming. When I finally convinced her that I had, she asked me if I needed to talk to the school counselor.”
114 likes